-38-

Book Club Chronicles

 

"what is it?" Irene asked.

Wendy was now left in utter chaos. hung open, her conscience berating her for taking this down a path she was not prepared for. "Uhm...uh, actually I just wanted to know if you need help?" nice save, she thought to herself.

"No, it's fine. Are you ok?"

"Yep." Wendy turned away pretending to look out the window for Suelgi's car, knowing her friend was probably taking her big fat time to trap them together. She really didn't know what she was doing, and she had never been in a relationship or tried to pursue one.

"Can I ask you something?" Irene said instead.

"Sure."

"Do I scare you?"

"What? Of course not!"

"Then...why are you avoiding talking about it?" 

Wendy was sincerely confused because 'it' could be anything, and she had no idea what Irene was talking about. It was also at that moment that they were alone together. IN Irene's house.

"The kiss, Wendy. Did you forget?" 

"K-kiss?" Heat rose up to her cheeks as the mere mention of the word brought back that night Irene pulled her back and planted a soft peck to her hceek.

I wasn't sure if I dreamed it or not...

She wasn't sure if she said that out loud or not. Irene moved faster than time, or maybe Wendy was just frozen in a daze that only broke when her book fell from her hands.

Irene was so close to her. Irene's lips were so close against hers.

Irene is kissing me! 

Wendy had never kissed anyone before, much less get kissed by someone. She shut her eyes, remembering kiss scenes from western films she watched a while back in Canada. 

So she kissed Irene back, not even sure if she was doing it right, but Irene didn't move or show any signs of stopping.

Irene was so gentl. Even the way she held Wendy against her was gentle, yet firm.

"Holy !" Joy's voice was the only thing that broke them out of the dream.

The sprang apart, and Wendy quickly picked up her fallen book before facing Joy again. Irene's sister looked like she was going through a roller coaster of emotions before them. 

"J-Joy? When'd you get back?" Irene was the first to speak.

"Just now. Sorry, was I interrupting?" 

"N-no, Wendy was just leaving." Irene cast a nervous glance at said girl, who nodded vigorously.

"Hmph, then why were you devouring her face, unnie?" 

Irene opened , and then closed it again, clearly trying to choose her words carefully. "Wendy, you should go home. Now."

The younger girl did not argue and muttered 'good night' before escaping out the door into Seulgi's car. "Get the hell out of here, Seul."

Her friend did not hesitate to kick the gas and shoot them off into the night - luckily without getting caught by police.

Once they were safely home and Seulgi finally asked. "What the hell happened? You look like you got caught watching or something."

Normally at such an accusation as extreme as that, Wendy would be quick to defend herself. It was a dumb Seulgi joke that Seulgi liked to pull off to get a rise out of her. However, she was too stressed about the situation to react. "Irene kissed me."

Seulg stopped eating mid-bite. 

"I kissed her back."

Seulgi's mouth dropped open. "On the mouth?"

"She kissed me first."

Seulgi's mouth dropped even more open until it could open no more. She leapt out of her seat and shook Wendy's shoulders like a madlad. "Irene LIKES YOU!"

"Joy saw us."

Seulgi suddenly felt her world crashing down. She had completley forgotten about Joy liking Wendy, and had never brought it up to her friend because she was so much more focused on getting the wenrene ship to sail. Plus, she thought Joy forgot too because she never brought it up again either. 

"Was she mad?"

"I dunno. She looked shocked, and Irene...I think she was ashamed."

"What the hell? Why?"

Wendy shook her head and leanded her chin in her hands on the table. "I think she wanted to keep it secret." She remembered teh look on Irene's face, how the color drained from her face and her eyes wide with horror like a deer in headlights. "Maybe she's confused. A woman as preetty as Irene couldn't possibly like a commoner like me."

Seulgi then smacked Wendy upsdie the hide with teh book once, then twice. "Listen to you! Giving up when it hasn't even started yet!"

"Irene had a boyfriend, Seul. That spells straight to me."

"That's not how you spell straight, and I'm not even drunk. S.T.R.A.I.G.H.T."

"That's not what I meant."

"Bruh stop moping!" Seulgi clapped Wendy's face in her hands, making the girl's face smoosh. "If you're that heartbroken, talk to her, girl! I'll even take you to her house tomorrow 6am sharp!"

"She told me to leave."

"Duhhhh, she needs to talk with her sister and she couldn't possibly do that when they're both attracted to your wierd charm!"

"Wat."

Seulgi gulped nervously. She had otten too passionate and let spill what she hadn't reveleaed to Wendy yet. 

"Both of them?" Wendy persisted. "Joy likes me too? How do you know that?"

"uh.........................................."

*cue blue screen of death Windows PC Seulgi*

Wendy picked up the fork from Seulgi's abandoned plate and held it toward her friend liek a weapon. "Speak now or forever hold your silence."

"That's for weddings dude. ANd it's peace not silence."

"Shut up. I'll eat all your food," Wendy threatened.

--

"Joy, let me explain."

"What is there to explain? I saw what I saw. You can't take it back," Joy told her. "You and Wendy were kissing. I didn't even know you swung that way, unnie."

"I didn't either..." Irene could still feel the tingling of Wendy's lips against her own, the warmth now gone but the memory so fresh. She liked kissing Wendy. "I'm...I'm sorry you had to see that. I wasn't thinking straight - "

Joy snorted and shook her head. She looked conflicted as if she wanted to say more. "I won't tell mom and dad if you're worried about that."

"Thanks, Joy."

"No probs. I'm here for you. So...you must like her a lot then if you kissed her like that, hm?" Joy teased.

Irene felt a blush blossom on her face and she turned away from her sis out of embarrassment. I'm acting like a teen, she thought. 

"I'm glad you found someone who can make you happy," her younger sister said. "When did you start dating?'

"We didn't. I just kissed her."

"Wow wow, you wanted her that bad?"

Irene gave her a glare and smacked her arm. "It's not like that. It just...happened." 

"ok ok. No need to get violent." Joy held her hands up in defense. "You should probably ask her out before someone else swoops in and swindles her away."

 

Joy felt disappointment in her chest as she settled for bed. She wished Seulgi had told her immediately that Wendy was actually interested in someone else - someone that was Irene, her sister. She wouldn't have minded, but it would have stopped her from fantasizing what could have been.

She wanted to be mad, but she coudn't. Irene deserved happiness too, after everything she'd gone through before. Joy just didn't expect the source of her happiness to be Wendy. After all, Sehun showed special interest in Irene for a long time. Or, Irene might have found someone at work, but no.

It was Wendy, someone who was a lot younger than Irene. She would never believe it unless she witnessed it first handm unless they were friends with benefits. THat didn't seem right because WEndy was too pure a person to go for a , and Irene was not a addict. 

I guess I'm just unlucky.

--

Irene felt a little awkward around her sister after they were found kissing that night. She wasn't sure if maybe she was overthinking things, but Joy seemed to be a little distant despite maintaining her usual composure. Joy was always out, and didn't even tell her where she was - not that she had to since they were adults, but Irene worried something had happened and seeing her and Wendy kiss amde her sister snap. Irene didn't forget that Joy broke up with her boyfriend. She always knew they were on and off, but Joy hadn't spoken of him as of late.

Perhaps it's permanent this time...

Irene decided she would have to talk with her sister somehow, but at the same time, if Joy didn't want to talk about it then there was no point in pushing it.

Plus, she still needed to talk to Wendy. Uunfortunately, the kiss had to end so abruptly and there was no time to really talk about their feelings. All Irene knew was that Wendy definitely kissed her back so that had to mean something, right? 

Was I too forward? 

But she kissed me back.

Irene unfortunately didn't have Wendy's number since they only contacted through email, and Irene was not trying to push the boundaries if there were any. Oh wait, she just did when she kissed Wendy. 

She could ask Joy, but she didn't want to disturb her sister anymore about the matter.

She'd just have to wait for book club next week. 

But why wait if I can email? Irene decided to draft something, make it seem like something normal that had to do with book club. LAst time Wendy dropped her book, but this time there was nothing to pick up for her. Irene thought long and hard, suddenly realizing how she sounded like some lovestruck character out of a drama. 

--

yooo, how are you?! Here's the long awaited update. hope it was satisfying and not too fast.

thank you for staying aboard after one year. I have a lot of work so i haven't had time lately. I won't give up on the story though that's for sure. see ya.