-12-

Book Club Chronicles

At the end of book club, Wendy somehow ended up being the last person to leave again. She glanced at her phone wondering what the hold up was. Irene came out to join her at the front room where Wendy had been staring hopefully out the window for any sign of Seulgi.

"Hey," Irene said.

"Hey," Wendy replied.

It was quiet between them for a few awkward seconds before Irene spoke again. "So...youre getting along with my sister?"

"Um... Just acquainted," Wendy replied.

"My sister doesn't usually choose to be close to other people," Irene told her because it was true. She kenw her sister was pretty popular and very outgoing, but Joy would only choose to hang out with someone if she found them to be decent. Like Hyunwoo, except they kept breaking up and making up over again. 

Wendy glanced at her, but Irene's expression didnt' give anything away. She wasn't sure if Irene didn't like the idea of her hanging out with Joy.

"I'm glad she is interested in your friendship," Irene finished. "there are not many people like you, Wendy."

At that moment, Seulgi's car pulled over at the curb.

"I'll see you next week," Wendy told Irene, who only smiled and walked her out to the door.

"Take care, Wendy."

 

"How'd it go?" Seulgi prompted as they drove back home.

Wendy frowned as she pondered over the events of the evening. Irene didn't seem like her usual composed self. She was still nice and acting normal, but something felt wierd, especially their parting words.

There are not many people like you, Wendy.

 

Irene glanced at the clock hands nearing 11pm. Joy was supposed to be back by the curfew she had set. Where did her sister go after mysteriously becoming close enough to Wendy to give her a ride to book club? ALso, Wendy never struck Irene as someone who would trust other people enouhg for a ride. 

Joy wasn't a bad person though, she knew that.

Maybe something came up, and it wasn't as if they met for the first time. IRene had been there when her sister exchanged numbers with Wendy. Perhaps they had gotten to know each other since then. 

Joy and Wendy's relationship don't concern you, she told herself.

Relationship? she thought to herself. Joy is straight and Wendy is too hardworking to mess around.

Irene shook her head and went to check the front windows for any sign of Joy. They were adults, but she knew her mom and dad would still want her to watch over Joy. Her young sister had always been a wild one, and despite them being over 18, she still had a duty as an older sister to make sure Joy was safe.

She didn't see her sister's car and she retired to her bedroom where her phone was waiting. Irene opened up her messages, ready to send a warning message about coming home late. But at that exact moment, she heard JOy's old car rumbilng outside to a stop. WIthin seconds, the door was unlocked and she heard Joy walking in. 

Irene rushed out to question Joy's whereabouts, but her younger sister just shrugged it off indifferently. "I just went out, Irene. I came back before curfew, didn't I?"

"Yes..." Irene couldn't find anything else to say that might be useful. However, she didn't like that Joy was pushing the boundaries, although she was sure her students pushed the time limit with their paper submissions. "Anyway, be careful wherever it is you're going."

Joy nodded and started to head to her temporary room. 

Irene wondered if she shoudl ask Joy what she and Wendy had been doing together before book club, but wasn't sure if it would come off as too nosy. She tried to tell herself that she was still the older sister, but then decided not to ask in the end.

That night she went to sleep troubled.

--

Teaching felt like a difficult chore this morning. Irene didn't usually have bad days at work, but today happened to be one of them. She wasn't in an angry mood, she was just feeling sullen. Luckily, today was exam day so she didn't have to lecture about anything. All she had to do was sit in front of laptop and wait for her students to hadn in their tests before the period was over. 

Since there was a class coming in rfight after, no one was allowed extra time. 

Fortunately, everyone finished early, so she was able to clear up before the next class.

However, she did not expect to run into Seulgi, and she was caught off guard to see Wendy's friend walk in.

"Oh hi!" Seulgi greeted her quickly.

Still shocked, Irene returned the greeting and asked how Wendy was.

GASP. ! Was that even appropriate, she wondered.

Irene thought she saw Seulgi's eyes alight with fire for a moment, but teh girl simply answered. 'Oh, she's busy with soccer as usual. but she's just fine. How are you?"

They exchanged a few more cordial words, and then Irene continued on to her office hoping no one else, studetn or teacher, had heard the conversation too clearly. Hopefully no one was reading into it, or eavesdropping.

Did anyone here know Wendy?

Irene didn't feel safe until she got to her office, but her heart jumepd out of when her office phone rang.

"This is Irene Bae speaking," she said a little too quickly.

"Hi, Irene." It was her boss.

oh . 

--

Wendy had gone to the gym to do some light work out for the rest of her body. Her muscles screamed in pleasure as she did a few benchpresses and then went to the ellipticals. Then, seh went to the locker room to change before running back home to shower and really get off teh sweat and grime.

She didn't like using the public showers. Just in case soeone was trying to be gross and record the women in there.

She'd heard of those here and there, luckily never happening here recently.

Once she got home, Seulgi was already there and tackling her into a bear tumble. 

"What th-"

"GOOD NEWS! IRENE IS THIKNING ABOUT YOU OUTSIDE OF BOOK CLUB!" Seulgi screeched in glee. 

"What the hell?"

"It's true!" Seulgi let her up and followed her into the back where Wendy threw down her things.  "I ran into her this morning and we talked a bit."

"You didn't say anythign stupid did you?" Wendy gave her a warning glare while heading into her room for a new change of clothes.

"Nah, I'm not like that. I just said the usual small talk. How are you and what not. She just happened to ask about you. I think she knows that we're friends!"

"Hm. Well, we did run inot her at the market."

"Yep!"

Wendy should have felt happy that Irene remembered her outside of book club, but she wasn't sure if this whole thing was ok. It didn't seem harmful, but no matter how much her crush on Irene was, it wouldn't be right if one person slipped up and got in trouble.

Also, this could all be for nothing.

If Irene did not like her that much, then this would be a waste of both Wendy's and Irene's time.

What if Irene found out before Wendy even told her? How embarassing that would be!

And even if Irene did like her, this whole thing woudl just look wierd. Teacher dating a student, and with a large . People would gossip like crazy, and Wendy didn't think it would be good for Irene's reputation. Also, is Irene even open to dating women?

Too many questions...

"I"m gonna shower," wendy said and went to the bathroom.

--