-19-

Book Club Chronicles

News of Irene's predicament made it into faculty gossip and eventually the school newspaper. When she went back the next day, her colleagues were all over her and interested to know about the details. 

Honestly, Irene did not want to talk to anyone about it, and she felt that everyone was being a bit overbearing. Her students also expressed concern, some knowing their boundaries and others exclaiming that the 'idiot who attacked you should die!'. 

She would not wish ill will against anyone, not even Suho. She just wanted him to leave her alone, and it made her so mad remembering how he hurt Wendy.

Her bruised up face called a lot of attention, which was one of the reasons why she wnated to stay home. She figured her boss might give her the day off since what happened was very traumatic, but she didn't want to be left alone with her thoughts about the matter. She needed to keep her mind occupied.

 

Irene decided to cancel book club for this week because she didn't want her friends to see the awful state of her face, and she didn't want to have to tell them everything. 

As she sent out the group email, she stopped when it came to Wendy.

She hadn't seen her at school. She hadn't heard from her.

Irene glanced to her bedside table where the book was still waiting for its owner. 

Sighing heavily, she finally sent the email to the club members and put her phone far away from her before going to bed. 

 

--

Wendy recieved lots of stares when she returned to school the next day. Her face looked like she went to a WWE tournament that had no rules except beat the crap out of each other. Some people asked about her face and she simply replied that she got into a scuffle on the street.

But she hadn't realized that the attack had made it to the univeristy's newpaper. Seulgi was the first one to show it to her when they met for lunch again. Worried, she read every word because she didn't want anyone to know that she, a student, had been involved with the university professor, Irene Bae.

Fortunately, it never mentioned Wendy by name or that she tried to intervene. The article only stated that the imposter had attacked both Irene and a student. Some professor coming back to teh office saw them and called the police immediately. 

It wasn't stated what happened to the imposter man excpet that he was under arrest and most likely going to be punished for assault and attempted murder. 

"Literature Professor, Irene Bae did not want to be interviewed"

For some reason that line bothered Wendy. Of course Irene wouldn't want to be interviewed! she thought irritably. This is not something to talk about so lightly. It's traumatizing! There was no reason for the article writer to include such needless sentence.

"Well, it's getting lots of readers," Wendy commented as a group of studnets exclaiming about the recent headline school news passed them. 

At soccer practice, one of her teammates inquired if the injured student from the news article was her.

Luckily, the soccer coach called them in for practice before Wendy could lie.

It shouldn't matter, but Wendy felt like people knowing that she tried to rescue a Irene Bae would bring unnecessary attention.

Additionally, Wendy had no business being in that area casually since she had no courses in that building. She wasn't sure if they were considered student-teacher relationship since Irene was never her professor.

But she was still a student at this university, and Irene was a professor. 

A hot one at that. Irene had a smokin' hot chili pepper rating on the rate-my-professors website. 

In all seriousness, Wendy felt like anyone knowing that she and Irene were meeting outside of school would be trouble even if it was harmless. Gossip could spread easy. They might suspect something between them even though there was nothing there. 

Well, just half of something there since Wendy wasn't sure if Irene liked her romantically.

No one asked and no one knows. Stop worrying, she told herself. 

 

Hello everyone,

There will be no book club this week due to my work schedule. I will see you all next week and look forward to hearing your thoughts about the book!

Best,
Irene Bae

 

This was a bit strange, in her opinion. Despite her having only joined for a few months now, Irene didn't seem the type to cancel unless she really couldn't be here like when she had the literature convention way back. She was generally a busy person, but always seemed to make time if she could. 

Wendy thought about it more and wondered if canceling the club had anything to do with the attack. That made sense. Irene should rest after a traumatic experience. She recalled how the man had treated Irene. Who the hell was he? Did Irene know him?

At that moment, Wendy realized that she didn't have her book. The whole reason of heading to Irene's office was to pick it up. 

She decided not to ask Irene for the book because she didn't want to bother her and add to the stress. I'll just find another copy elsewhere.

--

The end of the week arrived faster and Wendy spent the Friday playing video games with Seulgi. Currently, they were playing Rocket League and Wendy and Seulgi were smashing all their opponents with grace.

"Seulgi, I'm gonna pass it!' Wendy said.

"I got it!" Seulgi replied as the ball in the game sailed across the stadium. She made her car jump up in the air to collide with the ball sending it sailing towards the goal only to be blocked.

Their opponent this round was a little more competent and they had a near loss before the timer went out.

"GOGOGOGOGO!" Seulgi practically screamed as Wendy made a quick save, blocking the ball from their goal.

They continued battling for the point, and finally came out as the victors.

"That was the most intense game ever," Seulgi flopped down on her back and panted as if they had run a marathon.

Meanwhile, Wendy had gotten bored of the game and was scrolling through the multiplayer games she had to play with Seulgi. "What should we play next?"

"Did you get your book back?" Seulgi suddenly asked as she went to get some sodapop from the fridge for them.

"Ah, no," Wendy replied absently. "Wanna play Smash?"

Her friend finally returned with the cold drinks and passed one to her. "Are you gonna get it back?' Seulgi asked.

"I don't want to bother Irene. I think she's already stressed out and it's not that important. I'll just borrow another copy elsewhere," Wendy replied indifferently. "Book club is next week."

Seulgi knew she should have been the supportive friend that would stand by Wendy's decisions, but this was too big of an opportunity to pass up. Finally, she succumbed to her fantasies and her eyes became fire. "Wendy, you could make your move now and show her that you're thikning of her!"

"No. I mean, not that I'm not thinking of her, but this is no time to be thinking about that 'wenrene' plan of yours," Wendy told her firmly. "We're not even close enough. Our relationship is simply just acquainted book club members. It wouldn't make sense for me to, you know, do what you're suggesting."

"I guess you're right..." Seulgi picked up her switch. "Super smash, right?" she changed the subject. 

"Nah, I think I'm gonna go out a little."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"Sorry, Seul..." Wendy gave her a grateful look. she was so glad that Seulgi had her back,despite her craziness. "I just need to be alone for now. Maybe later."

"Ok. Just be careful and don't do anything stupid," Seulgi followed her to the door like a loyal dog.

"Funny coming from you," Wendy smirked. "I'm just getting a coffee. I'll bring back some snacks too."

 

The sun was setting when Wendy walked to the plaza. She got a coffee for herself and sat alone at a table, not htikning about anything. Her bruises and wounds were healing so it wasn't as bad as the first time she wore them. No one paid her much mind except that the casheir looked horrified. 

After that, she went to the supermarket as promised. First, she went to the snacks aisle and picked out all of Seulgi's favorites into a basket. She considered doing some grocery shopping now, but they were well stocked on food for now. Seulgi had done it a few days ago already.

As she waited in line, she unexpectedly ran into Joy, who was also grocery shopping.

"Hey!" Joy exclaimed. "Whoa!" Her smile turned into that of concern. "You ok? Who did that to you? Soccer? Oh..." Her face went through many expressions as silent realization dawned on her  

"Don't worry about it," Wendy replied. "Is Irene ok?" 

"Yeah, she's fine, just a little shaken. I told her I'd deal with dinner so she can rest." Her tone seemed a little bit short, perhaps not wanting to talk about it. "As you can see, I'm haivng such great luck," Joy said sarcastically, changing the subject.

Wendy glanced at the basket. It held an onion, garlic, and some instant food. 

"I'm not a cook unfortunately. I just hope she will appreciate my effort," Joy said apologetically. "She's always so responsible and I'll never match the genius and image that my sister is."

"Everyone has their own strengths," Wendy told her and glacned at the ingredients in the basket. "If you put some garlic and scallions in the ramyun it'll taste really good, like a gourmet dish."

"Thanks, you're right. I guess I should get going now." Joy waved and disappeared behind an aisle. "Thanks for the tip!"

 

Joy felt cheered up after seeing Wendy. She also took teh girl's suggestions and added chopped garlic and scallions to mix into the ramyun. Instant food, but better than nothing. Joy also made egg to add on the top to make it look a little more wholesome. 

Irene was working in her room, or so she though. Her older sister was more quiet these days.

Suho must have shaken her up really badly, she concluded. And it made sense. Suho had been so abusive to Irene. He controlled everything she did, threatened her, manipulated her - he was just "a ing bastard," Joy growled to herself .

Cool off, she told herself, he's in custody. They better give him the worst punishment possible.

Joy set the bowls on the table and brought out a few leftovers in case they were more hungry. THen, she went to fetch Irene, who was completely absorbed in work. 

Irene pushed her glasses up her nose and sighed heavily as she went to marking something with a red pen. Then, she grabbed another piece of paper and scribbled something on that.

Joy knocked on the open door to get her sister's attention. "Dinner's ready."

"Oh, thanks, Sooyoung." Irene took off her glasses and joined her. "This looks great."

"Not as good as yours," Joy replied apologetically, " but I got some pointers from a little birdie."

Irene chuckled at the effort from her younger sis. It was cute: the bowls of instant ramyun, fresh scallions and garlic, and an egg on top, freshly heated. It reminded her of old days.

"Where'd you get this 'recipe'?" Irene asked as they settled down to eat.

"Wendy," Joy replied. 

Irene seemed to freeze a little when she mentioned that name. "How is she?" she asked, trying to remain neutral. She hadn't told Joy the whole story yet because she just wanted to avoid it right now. Memories were bad.

"She's fine. But she did seem to have been a little roughed up..." Joy glanced at her questioningly. "Er...she said she was there when you got attacked. But...actually nevermind. Let's just eat."

The dinner was awkward and Joy offered to wash the plates so Irene could go back to her work.

--

WENRENE NEXT UPDATE I PROMISE