-6-

Book Club Chronicles

"Hey, this one's a pretty good price," Seulgi waved a gigantic 15 pound package of rice in the air at Wendy, who was almost all the way down the aisle. 

While Seulgi had never shown signs of athletic promise, this was probably the most exercise Wendy had ever seen her do. Fearing that the bag might break from the extra forces of Seulgi, she gave a thumbs up and continued to the fridge to get some dairy products and chicken.

Why is everything so expensive? Wendy thought glumly while thumbing through some coupons she had gotten from the mail. 

"Hi, Wendy!" 

GASP!!!!!

The girl almost had a cardiac arrest as she recognized the voice immediately. 

AHAhahah! She laughed to herself, I must be dreaming. I'm so tired from the game. hehehehehehe.

But when she turned around, THE Irene Bae was standing before her in the flesh. Wendy went on autopilot and automatically smiled. "Hi Irene," she replied. "What are you doing here?"

"Grocery shopping."

AHCK! OF course, why else would someone be at the SUPERMARKET?! Wendy scolded herself. "Ah...same..." 

Irene chuckled, seeming to be amused by her nervousness. "Did you sleep well?" she asked.

Wendy nodded because she didn't trust to say something sensible. So far, she missed all the goals in playing it cool.

"That's good." Irene smiled. "What're you looking for?"

"Um...ingredients for...baking!" Wendy actually forgot what she was looking for and she wanted to sound cool, instead of saying "same" because she was only groery shopping too. She was reallyl just looking for milk to eat with her cereal.

"Ah, you like baking?"

The girl nodded. "Seulgi eats it all."

"Ah, you two are pretty close?"

"We live together," Wendy replied and glanced at her, wondering why the woman's expression seemed to be a little on guard. "We've known each other since childhood."

An awkward silence ensued between them and Wendy wondered if Irene was waiting for her ot say something else. "Er...how are you?" the girl asked.

"Busy with grading as usual," Irene told her. "Besides that, I'm fine. Looks like your friend is coming. I'll see you around maybe?"

Wendy nodded and tried to smile not too nervously. "See ya."

 

"HAHAHA! WENDY!" Seulgi gushed when they were safely in the car with their groceries packed in the back. "This is EXCELLENT!"

"Shut up, Seul. It was just a coincidence," Wendy told her. 

"Dont lose faith, Wen!" Seulgi continued excitedly. "I can see it now!" She spread an invisble map in the air and began to predict her future of wenrene together. "You're gonna start seeing her more often, and then she'll invite you over so you guys can bake together..."

"What the?" Wendy slapped her shoulder. "How would she know I like to bake?"

Seulgi giggled creepily.

"What the frick! You eavesdropped, you idiot!"

"OW! WHY ARE YOU GETTING MAD?"

--

Today, Wendy decided to go to the school gym to do some body conditioning. She was already pretty fit and the workout regimens from soccer practice were pretty difficult enough as it was so it was nice to do some different things. 

Cross fit training was something she was totally into and the school was offering some cheap classes once a week, and that's where she was heading now.

Wendy was pretty self conscious about her body so she never walked around half in sports bra and spandex like the other girls. She covered herself head to toe in sweatpants and a long tee.

The cross fit teacher was a very nice person so no one would feel bad if they couldn't master something right away. 

Wendy hoped this would help her get even more fit for soccer so she could survive heavy duty work on the go.

"Hey guys!" the teacher exclaimed as the group of five including Wendy walked in. "let's get started!"

The way the gym was situated was that different equipment adn activities were seprated into sections that were divided by transparent dividers for the most part. So you could see people weightlifting upstairs or people running on treadmills next door.

They started with a fifteen minute warm up and got right into the deep burning hells of screaming muscle agony. They started with pull ups on a bar first starting with something kind of familiar. But the only memory Wendy had of these bars was swinign on them upside down. Damn. Wendy thought she was pretty fit, but this cross fit training thing was so much more difficult than soccer warm ups.

Pull ups were ok, but ring rows were a different story. The instructor told her to focus on muscles she had hardly been aware or ever used. 

It had only been five minutes and she was already sweating like crazy.

And the class was a whole hour. 

Wendy warned herself not to be too ambitious about trying new things next time, even if this was suppsoed to help with her fitness. First the book club, and now this cross fit course.

She took some deep breaths while the other people tried the exercise, even the cocky males who thought they were so strong were having a hard time.

Then, the instructor tossed jump ropes at them and they were like jumping beans for a long time. While Wendy's calf muscles were pretty solid since soccer was heavy leg work, it was actually a bit tiring. It's a good thing soccer didn't need them to hop around across the field like this all the time.

They finished off the workout with another dificult exercise and Seungwan was ready to go home and sleep. Every possible muscle in her body was screaming and she could hardly move.

"Sup?" Seulgi greeted her when she got home. "Whooo, you look wiped. Soccer?"

"No, crossfit." 

"What's that?"

"Death." Wendy deadpanned. "I'm gonna sleep."

--

Friday came along faster than expected which also meant that Wendy may have accidnetally procrastinated on a few assignments, but she still went to book club in the end - after Seulgi encouraged her to just forget about sschool and go see IRENE.

(Angel chorus)

After all, that's what book club was about, right? Said Seulgi in her head.

Wendy glared at her in the car while thumbing through the pages over and over again. She would rather be sleeping right now. Her body was still sore from cross fit and soccer practice the other day.  Sit ups and sit ups and soccer sit ups and ....

She hoped it would pay off. I better have those damn ripped abs, she thought irritably.

Why do I do this to myself?

I'm not even trying to impress anyone.

Finally, they arrived at Irene's house and Wendy literally fell out of the car because her legs were still like jello. She cursed under her breath and waved her friend off before trying to walk like a normal person up to the porch.

"Hey!" Irene smiled and Wendy almost had cardiac arrest at that moment when she saw what she was wearing. The woman wore a black turtleneck under a dark grey blazer and what seemed to be black dress pants. It looked like she was dressed for somethign formal.

"How are you doing?' Irene broke into her thoughts.

"I'm...great." Wendy managed to keep her eyes up. "You?"

"I'm good too, I guess," the latter replied. "I just got back actually so we're having dinner and book club."

WHOAAAAAA! DINNER AND BOOK CLUB?!

Red sirens went off in Wendy's head and she had like more than half a mind to beat it out of there. 

TIME OUT: Wendy was pretty ok in some social settings but only if she was used to it and prepared for whatever was happening. However, eating and talking was not one of her forte, and she was pretty self conscious about eating among strangers. Sure, they met a few times, but she still wasn't entirely comfortable aroudn them.

Besides, what if she made a mess whlie eating at Irene's house?

Oh, god, what if I get food on my face?

Or drop it on me?

Or...

"Everything ok, Wendy?" Irene asked because the girl was still standing outside the door silently and staring blankly into the distance.

"Yep. Just fine." 

"Come in, then."

"Oh, thanks." Wendy took one step and miscalculated the height. She underestimated how high a step she should take because of her fricking sore muscles and nervousness) and faceplanted onto Irene's floor.

Oh...not again.

Irene was quickly at her side and helping her up. "Wendy, what happened?" she fretted.

SHE'S TOUCHING ME! Wendy scrambled to a sitting position and quickly hopped to her feet. "I...tripped."

"I can see that." Irene gave her a wierd but concerned look. "Now seriously, what happened?"

"What?"

"Did you not sleep again?"

"Ohhhh, hahahahaah! No no!" Wendy waved her hadns in the air in defense. "I just...I may have gotten a little ambitious and joined a cross fit session cuz I wanted to be more fit for soccer and...it's more intense than it looks."

Irene stared at her for a long time. "Would it help if you skipped tonight?" she asked.

Wendy was horrified at the thought. "No. I'll just quit the cross fit. I don't really need it."

"Good." Irene the door and pushed her deeper into the house. "Let's go."

 

Wendy wasn't sure if she imagined it or not, but Irene sounded a bit firm and strict about her schedule?

Agh, what of it? Irene could care less about my day, she thought.

"Guys, Wendy is here!" Irene went back to her normal book club self and the others greeted her.

"You've never joined us for diner have you?" Taeyeon commented. "I'll just let you know that the real pig here is Hani, and Sehun is second, third is Seohyun, me and Irene." She leaned closer to Wendy. "So you gotta be fast if you wanna eat."

Wendy just laughed nervously.

"Don't scare her into hoarding," Irene said aloud when she returned with a place and utensils from the kitchen for Wendy. 

"Thanks." Wendy said gratefully.

"Let's eat!" Sehun exclaimed and taeyeon was not wrong when the top two dove for the food.

Well, it was more like they heaped it in at calm intervals or something...she didn't know how else to describe it.

There was a vat of fried rice, a bowl of normal rice, vegetables, fried egg, meat...it was like a buffet. Did Irene make all of this? Some of it looked like take out though.

Wendy decided not to eat too much or else risk throwing up from anxiety after so she got a couple spoonfuls of rice, some meat, avoided the greasy stuff, and wnet for the egg and veggies. 

It looked like a sorry dish compared to the others, but Wendy was not having much of an appetite now. 

Then, Irene initiated talk about the book, and Wendy tried to take small bites in case she got asked to speak about something. She didn't wnat to be in the middle of a mouthful and make them wait awkwardly for her to chew and swallow.

"Do you have enough to eat?" Irene asked suddenly.

Wendy had been listening to Hani and SEhun debate out a pivotal scene in the book, and suddenly realized that Irene was talking to her. "Um..yes, thanks."

"Here." Irene gave her some more food.

Is she...feeding me? 

She suddenly had a brief imaginary scenario in her head with Seulgi creepily watching from the window and laughing to herself so she could tease Wendy about it later, and totally ship them.

Wendy quickly wiped away the cloud Seulgi. "thanks," she said.

Irene probably does this for her friends. 

But does she do it for Sehun? Wendy noticed taht Sehun was watching IRene carefully. He was actually sitting across from Wendy at teh table, and that's when she realized where she was.

Irene was at the head. Sehun on Irene's left. Wendy on Irene's right.

StOP THINKING WIERD THINGS! Wendy scolded herself. 

It's just a coincidence.

yep. just that. Nothing more.

 

Irene was trying to keep up the book club convo while she secretly kept an eye on Wendy. She had 'strategically' placed the girl into a spot next to her - wait nooo hahaha. What the hell? Irene reached for more food, while the others were talking.

She was so glad Hani and Sehun could carry the discussion since they were always at odds. It made things much easier for her tonight. She'd had a long week of grading exams and papers, and meetings. All she wanted to do was sleep right now, but she didn't want to give up this day where her friends could come and gather.

That being said, she noticed that Wendy seemed to be picking here and there at her food. THe girl hadn't even taken much from the beginning, and Irene worried that maybe she wasn't feeling good again.

Before she could think twice, she asked. "Do you have enough to eat?"

Wendy appeared to hesitate, but Irene took the initiative. "here." She scooped up more rice and meat for Wendy. Athletes need protein too, she thought...not sure if this is the right kind.

"Thanks."

Irene smiled and suddenly realized how quiet it became.

Everyone was staring at her.

"Anything the matter?" she asked calmly.

"No," Taeyeon replied. "We were just wondering what you thought about..."

And that's how book club went.

Irene managed to keep her cool, but as soon as she could, she broke away from them to the kitchen. Heat of embarassment rose to her cheeks as she wondered if they saw what she had done and read it wrong.

I was just watching over Wendy, she thought. Motherly instincts. I can't let her pass out on me. 

She was very familiar with the life of a college student, and she couldn't stress how important healthy lifestyle was, including meals. So that's why she did it. Concern. Yep, Nothing more.

"Irene?" Sehun spoke.

"Oh, hey." She smiled but didn't turn around because she didn't want him to see how red her cheeks were. Quickly, she opened the window by teh sink to let in the cold night air. 

Much better.

"Need help?" he asked.

"No. I'm fine."

"Ok. Uh, I was wondering if you were free tomorrow?"

Irene frowned and turned to him. "Not really. Do you need something?" While they were long time friends, Irene knew that it was possible that some of his advnaces - friendly as they may be - might be advances towards a romantic relationships, which she didn't have time for.

Plus, she didn't have a good experience from her last one so she was certainly not going to try again.

"Well, I was invited to a dinner among my boss and his colleagues. I have an RSVP plus one so...i wanted to ask if you could be my plus one?" he said hopefully. "But now pressure!" he added. "I understand you're busy with your work and stuff."

"I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I am overloaded with work," Irene told him. "Maybe one of the others will go?"

It was evident that he was disappointed as his face dropped. "That's ok. I mean, it'll probably be some nuclear we'll be talking about. Might not have enough poetic prose and stuff - y'know, deep symbolism."

Irene frowned. It was supposed to be a joke, but it soudned more like an attack.

"Are you ok?' she asked.

Sehun sighed. "Sorry. I'm just stressed because my boss is pulling the reins hard on me for the new project we're working on. The experiments aren't going well."

"Well, he should understand that sometimes, things don't work out and you need more time." Irene offered. "I'm sure you will be just fine. He's inviting you to dinner for a reason. You're going to meet important people. Who knows? Maybe they have some information."

"Maybe." He brightened. "Well, I gotta go. See ya."

Irene bid him a farewell and then went to wave off the others. Wendy was texting someone on her phone and Irene wondered if it was her friend.

"You have a ride home?" Irene asked.

Wendy nodded. "She's coming soon." She stood up. "Thanks for the meal."

Irene smiled and for some reason she felt a blossoming in her chest when the younger girl returned it with a bright grin. That same grin on teh soccer photo Irene saw when creepily searching her up on the interwebs.

"I'll just be outside," Wendy announced.

"You can wait in here while she's on the way," Irene said quickly. "If you want," she added. "It's a bit chilly and I don't want you getting sick."

"Oh, don't worry. I hardly get sick."

"Don't press your luck," Irene scolded her. "I know college life. You don't have me fooled not for a bit, Wendy!"

The latter laughed nervously and her phone released a cute little chromatic ringtone. "Oh, my ride's here!" she exclaimed.

Irene led her to the door. "See you next week?" she asked.

"Yep."

"Good night."

"NIght."

Irene watched her leave all the way to the car and didn't close the door until the car was no longer there.

---

heyyy! Thanks for all your comments. I will try my best and see if I can use some of them. Some of the things might not work out because of the way I have the story planned but thank you for your feed back! 

Stay safe!