-22-

Book Club Chronicles

"Kim Suho, what is your relationship to the two women?" The lieutenant, Choi Minho, sat across from Suho, who was now handcuffed to the table.

They were seated in a brightly lit empty room separated from the viewing room by a tinted glass. 

"Irene Bae is my ex-girlfriend. I don't know who the hell the other girls is. I only wanted to talk to Irene. She wouldn't listen to me, and the little came and attacked me. It was self defense, sir."

Minho remained stone faced and stared the other man in the eye. "I only asked you one question."

"I'm telling you what happened."

"Well, if that is the case, explain the injuries on Miss Irene Bae's face."

"..."

"Or perhaps tell me why it is you came out of the situation unscathed?" Minho pressed further.

"The small girl had no strength to do any real damagedto me," Suho replied as if it were so obvious. "She threw a book at me though. It hit me on the head."

"How long have you been out of a relationship with Irene?"

"Six or seven years now? I proposed to her after we graduated (undergrad college)." (irene 21 when she graduated undergrad and stayed in the relationship for almost two years before leaving it. Her master's was three years.)

"I see. What made you want to see her after such a long time separated from each other?" 

Suho pursed his lips as he tried to think of a good answer. "I just wanted to check up on her. We didn't end on a good note." That wasn't really a lie, he thought to himself proudly as the lieutenant tapped his finger against the table in slow intervals.

"And why not?"

Suho chose his words carefully and showed some emotion as he looked down at the table. "Can't say."

"I understand that relationships are not easy, and leaving one leaves scars behind," Minho leaned back in his chair. "I want to make sense of all this if you really did not instigate the assault. But some things don't add up."

Suho managed to keep his composure, but kept his eyes trained on the table surface. 

"Explain the injuries on Irene Bae's face," Minho said.

. He didn't know how to come up with a believable version of events. His intent was to find Irene and make her see how wrong she had been all this time for leaving him. They could have been in love if she just listened to him this whole time. "When the student attacked me, I retaliated in self defense, but Irene chose the wrong side and took the hit for the girl. That's how it happened. It was an accident, and I regret my actions."

"Why did Wendy attack you?"

"I do not know, sir. I am only telling you what I experienced."

Before Minho could say anything, someone on the other side of the door knocked loudly. "Lieutenant Choi!"

"Give me a moment!" Minho bellowed at the person and then waved his hand towards the glass panel where his people were recording and listening in as well. "Well, Kim Suho, everything you told me has been documented for our records to make sure that there are no discrepancies."

"Is this going to court?" Suho felt cold in his blood. Was his story good enough? He never expected to run into criminal investigation and it was all the fault of that stupid Wendy girl getting in the way.

"We just need to make sure you're telling us the truth."

Minho stood up and strode over to Suho's side and leaned uncomfortably close to him. "The eyes are the beholder of the truth, Suho."

--

Wendy hung out at the front of the school library waiting for Joy, who was going to return the book club book to her. 

They greeted each other cheerfully. "How's Irene?" Wendy asked.

"She's alright, not much has changed..her bruises are healing though. Slowly." Joy replied apologetically for no good news. "By the way thank you so much for helping with dinner. IT was so good, and I think Irene liked it too."

"I'm glad." Wendy looked down at her book and flipped through the pages with her thumb.

"What about you? How are you?" Joy continued.

"I'm ok. I've got a game this week. Last one for the year."

"Ooooh nice. Does that mean you won't be going to book club?"

Wendy stopped since seh hadn't thought about it, but that didn't seem like a bad idea. Plus, it gave her a good excuse to avoid any interrogation from Irene's friends...among other reasons...

"Is she well enough?" Wendy replied instead. 

"Hmmm. I'm not sure if she would feel up for the usual gathering," Joy mused. "But I thkn it would do her good to see old friends, right?"

Old friends...

"Yes. That makes sense." THe cool air brushed around them, and she could almost taste winter in the air. "I gotta go to practice, but I'll see you around. Could you tell Irene I send her my greetings?"

Joy nodded. "Good luck."

 

Wendy put so much focus into practice than she had ever done before. She managed to impres the coach infinitely when she pulled off stunts that would trick an opponent in game. Her control was on point, and her interceptions precise.

From the stands she looked like a speeding guinea pig on the field, weaving in and out nimbly.

"Damn, you're on fire, girl!" her teammate, Krystal exclaimed.

"We're winning that game," was all Wendy said.

--

"Please have your portfolios done exactly as stated in the rubric," Irene announced towards the end of her class. "There will be extra credit if you have all assingments in the order listed on the grading sheet. It will be added to your final exam grade. If there is just one thing wrong or missing, points will be deducted."

There as loud bustling and hushed conversations as her students filed out of the class. It was that time of year gain when grading was hectic and students emailing like crazy for help to raise their grades. 

Irene gathered her things herself and left the class for the next professor to take over. She went back to her office and organized her files for each class section. She wasn't too worried about making a final exam, since it was just in class essay over material covered in class. THe difficult thing was reading thme alll on time and inputting grades before the deadline.

Even professors had it hard. There were deadlines for them too, and a lot of work on their plate from teaching more than one class of at least twenty students a piece.

Irene leaned back in her chair and stretched before getting to work. 

The bruising on her face was dissipating each day. Hopefully by the next week or so it would be completely gone.

Finally, the traces of Suho and her past would be erased from her face. 

Irene decided to cancel book club for the next few weeks to avoid her friends seeing the state she was in. Plus, it was convenient for her because she was swamped with work since it was amost the end of the year before winter break. 

--

The week passed quickly. Wendy hardly noticed it since she was hard at work for school and the game. 

"Your face will probably scare the opponent away before we even start!" her teammates joked and she laughed along with them.

This was the final game for the year, and Wendy was looking forward to finally being free so she could really focus on her exams and projects. Soon, she would be free and regain all the sleep she lost. And there would be snow, which meant no soccer for a while after this. Too cold.

Wendy put on her shin guards and pulled her high socks over it before tying on her cleats snugly. THen, she did a few stretches before joining up with her team in preparation for the game coming up in a few minutes. The coach walked in and gave them a pep talk to get them pumped. 

"Go and get 'em!" the coach exclaimed.

When they ran out on the field for the opening half, Wendy felt the familiar adrenaline rush in her body. She took in some deep breaths as she joined her team for a little group cheer they always did before each game.

Her team was the first to kick off and Wendy's soccer mind gears got to work as she took off into the din on the soccer field.

 

"No book club?" Joy asked when she left her room to find the house empty. Irene was still at work in her room.

"No, I've got to finish my work for the end of the semster," Irene took off her glasses before facing her sister. "For the next few weeks, actually. I'd like a break after this hectic term."

Joy nodded. "Ok, well I'm heading out. Anything you want?"

"Where are you going?" 

Joy wasn't sure if it was ok to mention Wendy's name. Irene seemed to be a little 'cold' if anything about her was mentioned. It was understandable to some extent, considering the bad experience they went through. But she also did not want to lie about anything concerning Wendy.

Besides, they would have to face each other at some point, whether in email or in person  

"Wendy's game."

Irene appeared unfazed this time but smiled. "Have fun then."

--