-21-

Book Club Chronicles

Irene's ex-boyfriend.

Wendy's mind whirled all the way back to an early conversation with Joy about Irene's past relationship.

The abusive ex.

"...she was afraid of him. Somehow, she leveled up, broke up with him, and walked out of there alive. We haven't seen her ex since then," Joy had said. "She won't be in any relationships any time soon. That experience has made her wary of anyone with romantic intentions, and other people generally. She's a changed woman."

But when it came to Suho, Irene was very afraid - the flashback of the fear in Irene's voice and eyes resurfaced in Wendy's mind. 

She didn't know how to respond. Asking questions didn't seem to be the best course of action especially since they were not close enough to be sharing personal information. 

"Is Irene going to be alright?" Wendy finally asked tentatively.

"I'm not sure," Joy replied carefully. "Suho did a lot of awful things to her so...him reappearing like this and attacking you both is really messing her up mentally. I think she won't be up to her old self for some time. It's...not easy for her."

Wendy wasn't sure what kind of awful things Suho did to Irene, but any type of abuse was no good. "I understand."

She checked on the stew and the other dishes she had made with Joy. "I think these are ready," she said, glad that cooking offered a smooth transition to another topic.

"Oh! Smells great!" Joy seemed to be relieved to not talk about Suho anymore either. 

Wendy would have liked to know more about the evil guy, but she didn't want to overstep her boundaries. Irene might not appreciate Joy going behind her back and giving away any more information than she already had.

"I'll get Irene. I think she'll be pleasantly surprised," Joy told her before leaving the kitchen.

 

Irene wiped her face with a towel. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and she was trying to calm down before Joy and Wendy could see her again. The lighting of the bathroom gave her appearance no justice. The purple and red welts on her face looked just as bad as it did the first day she wore them.

She took in some deep breaths and covered her face with the cold damp towel again.

"It's gonna be ok, Irene. Calm down," she muttered to herself. 

After a few minutes, her eyes were less teary and she applied some make-up to cover it up. The last thing she wanted was an emotional breakdown in front of Wendy.

Irene returned to her room and rearranged the pillows on her bed to look nicer. Then, she checked her phone for any important emails to get her mind back from the past. 

 

University e-mail ([email protected])

Dear faculty and students,

It is our duty to keep you updated for the safety and security of our campus community. Earlier this week, a literature professor was targeted and attacked by a stranger in the late afternoon...

Your safety is of utmost importance. Please do not hesitate to contact campus police.

 

She closed the email immediately and put her phone back, screen down on her desk with her work that she did not do. 

"Irene?" Joy callled her from her thoughts.

"Oh, hey." Irene hoped that she didn't look like she had been crying. "How's your cooking lesson, Joy?" she managed to joke.

"It went better than expected!" her sister beamed. "You should come and try some."

"Sure," Irene followed her out. "Is Wendy still here?"

Joy gave her a mischievous look. "Why? Did you want her to leave?"

"What? Of course not!" Irene replied quickly. "I was just wondering so I could make sure you're not bluffing for brownie points." Honestly, she didn't mind that Wendy was here, but she also felt like their relationship could never go back to what it could have been - if there were any, that is. They hadn't spent much time together to really get to know each other, and it was mainly due to the fact that Irene had to draw the line between professor and student...even if Irene never was Wendy's professor. 

"Brownie points? What the hell..." Joy shook her head and they entered the kitchen where Wendy was currently washing the last of the used dishes that were for food prep.

 "Ta-da!" Joy presented the delicious food cooking on the stove. 

Irene was surprised. It smelled really good and it looked appetizing too. "You cooked this?" She lifted the lid and was met with the most tantalizing smells ever. 

This was even better than her own cooking.

"Heh, well...Wendy did most of it," Joy said. 

"No no, you cut the ingredients," Wendy told her. "And you followed all my directions."

"Still, you were the genius behind dinner tonight! I really think you could make it as a chef in a gourmet restaurant instead of a soccer player. Right, Irene?"

"Yeah." The older woman turned to Wendy and gave her a small smile. "Thanks for making dinner, Wendy."

"It's no problem."

 

Wendy did not stay for dinner despite Joy's urging. Maybe if things were on better terms she would have. But she didn't feel comfortable, and she felt that Irene might need some space. She didn't think it would be comforting for Irene to eat and see someone who bore the scars of the man that harmed them. 

She just hoped that it didn't come off as disrespectful because that was not what she intended.

Besides, Seulgi was already waiting for her and she had another meal to make for the hungry bear. It was getting late already.

Joy and Irene walked her to the door to bid her goodbye, but Joy was the first to break away claiming that she would get the dishes ready for dinner. That left only Irene and Wendy standing together silently on the porch in the cool evening air.

"Thank you for dinner, Wendy," Irene told her quietly. "And for the card."

"You're welcome." 

"Good night."

"Night." Wendy waved and tried to give her usual smile before walking down the steps.

Usually, Irene would watch her all the way to the car, but this time, Irene did not wait and shut the door.

--

Seulgi did not inquire about the events at Irene's house until they returned home and were eating ramyun together. 

"So, how'd it go?" Seulgi asked through a mouthful of noodles.

"It was alright, I guess." Wendy chose her words carefully so she wouldn't give away classified information. "Irene doesn't seem well. The guy hit her really badly."

"You gave her the card though?" 

"Yeah."

"Well, at least you talked things over." 

Oh, Seul, you have no idea, Wendy thought. 

They talked, but it didn't seem to have closure at all. Irene was still blaming herself for everything that happened. And it was all because of her stupid ex!

Wendy wished there was something she could do to make Irene see otherwise, but she was in no position to do that. She didn't know enough about Irene. Sure, she learned things from Joy, but that wasn't the same because the words were not from Irene's mouth. 

"Did you get your book back?" Seulgi asked.

"I wasn't even thinking about the book," Wendy replied. "Even if I had remembered, I don't think it would have been a good time to ask for it back."

 

The food was delicious. Irene was very impressed. The dishes were flavorful and nutritious - does Wendy coook like this all the time?

Joy wolfed it down liek a rabbid animal, while Irene picked at it morosely. It's not that she didn't enjoy it, she just wasn't very hungry.

"Do you feel a little better?" Joy asked after dinner while putting away the dishes.

"You did this, didn't you." Irene said as a statement more than a question. 

Joy put the last dish away and turned to her. She recognized that tone of voice. Irene was a little upset with her. 

"I'm grateful you're thinking of me," Irene continued. "But I wish you had warned me instead. I don't want to see her like this."

"..."

"I can't look at her...without seeing Suho...holding the knife t-to ...I just..." Irene pressed one hand to her face, feeling a new headache coming. "I'm sorry, Joy. Thank you for being there for me. I think I'll head to sleep now."

"Of course, unnie. I'll finish up here. Good night."

 

Irene sighed as the hot water fell over her body in the shower. She tried not to remember anything. She tried not to see Suho's cursed image, Wendy's damaged face.

Why?

She thought everything was over when she walked out of that house. She worked hard to make sure all the past was cut off from her.

Irene Bae, a respected professor of literature with a graduate degree, worked with other esteemed writers and professors, a strong woman who did not need anyone, calm and collected in almost any situation...

But under all that was a weak and insecure person...

She did not let anyone get any closer ever since her break up with Suho. If she thought someone were getting too close, it was time to close off and keep them out. Her book club friends were an exception since they had known each other a while (during her relationship with Suho). They knew what she went through, though they could do nothing to help her since she had shut them out while she was subject to Suho's manipulations.

And that is also why she refused to date Sehun or anyone for that matter.

She did not want to be tied down and controlled.

Irene preferred to have her freedom, to do things as she pleased, and not feel obligated towards anyone - unless it was for an important reason like family.

 

When she climbed into bed, she noticed the unopened card from Wendy. Irene hadn't opened it yet because she wanted to wait to read it without any interruption. Now seemed a good time.

But, as she reached for it, she saw Wendy's library book that had completely slipped her mind as aresult of this. 

Crap. I have to return it.

I have to see her again...

Irene put the card back down as she tried to think if she shoudl ask her to come back or wait for school. However, she was still hesitant to see her again. 

She turned off the light and lay down, huging her pillow in her arms. 

"It's not your fault. I was trying to protect you," Wendy had said. "I...I am too ashamed to face you and Joy because I failed..."

"Don't blame yourself for this. Please."

I can't.

 

"Joy, can you give this to Wendy for me?" Irene asked the next morning and handed the book to her sister.

"Sure. You can count on me, captain!" Joy saluted her. "I'll just check and see if she's available..."

--