-11-

Book Club Chronicles

 

—-

Not even a day passed before Joy reached out to Wendy to hang out later in the week. 

It just so happens the message arrived while she was playing mariokart  with Seulgi. 

“Who’s that? Bae?” Seulgi said absently while choosing a new track for them to race. 

“Uh no...it’s someone else.”

“Oh? Who?” Seulgi became interested.

Wendy was about to make up a story so that her friend wouldn’t get suspicious about getting a number from someone she hardly even knew—although isn’t that how friendships generally begin?

Well, maybe in high school. 

But now in college, and adults, Wendy was hesitant to release her number unless it was necessary for something like group projects. 

It all happened too quickly that she just blurted an answer without thinking fast enough. 

“Joy? Who’s that?” Seulgi asked. 

“Um...Irene’s sister.”

Her friend had a blank Seulgi smile look on her face and Wendy feared her friend might be think the wrong thing. “It was an accident! She just asked me and I didn’t know how to say no!”

“YOU’RE A GENIUS!” Seulgi exploded and tossed her game controller aside. “THIS IS PERFECT!”

Seulgi grabbed Wendy’s cheeks and squashed them. Her eyes shine bright with excitement. “This is the ticket to Irene! You can ask Joy anything about her!”

“What the—wont that be suspicious?” Wendy shook her off. “Besides, this isn’t gonna work out. There’s an obvious barrier—the law. She’ll get in trouble if someone sees us getting close!”

“Oh pooo! Just be discreet about it. No one will know!”

Wendy shook her head. The voice of reason was mute to Seulgi’s ears. “Anyway, I haven’t had as many experiences as her so she probably would prefer someone way more accomplished than me.”

“Stop that!” Seulgi grabbed her face again. “Do not despair, my dear friend! Wenrene will sail!” She rose her fist in the air as if rallying an invisible crowd. 

 

Joy: Hey Wendy! Are you available this week?

 

Wendy: hey, I’m actually busy. I’ve got a soccer game. 

 

Joy: when is it?

 

 

Wendy: Friday 2pm, but I have to get ready for book club after. 

 

Joy: No worries! See you then!

 

Irene’s red pen was diligent in marking up the essays she’d had to read since the weekend. Her brain and eyes were tired of the black letters.

She still had to input grades and the system the school used could be a bit dicey at times. And she had multiple classes of at least twenty or so students. Maybe more. 

So that could add up headcount quickly. 

It was almost her lunch break. Wel, not really since she used that time to keep working. However, today she decided to make an exception and buy something from the campus dining. Maybe a coffee too for her tired mind. 

 

Irene wished she hadn’t worn heels today. The campus dining was a bit of a walk from her office. 

She ran into some colleagues and greeted them politely. Park Bogum was a creative writing teacher as well as a theatres arts teacher and the director of theatre arts projects. He was pretty friendly, and was a handsome guy. In fact he was quite accomplished and had lots of critical acclaim from the media. 

Her other colleagues joked that they would be great together. 

Bogum actually did express an interest in her, but she had turned him down. 

That was when she was just hired following her big breakup. 

He kept his distance since then but did not treat her coldly. At least he respected her space. 

 

Irene finally got her lunch and started to head out. While she was just about to leave the place, she passed by Wendy who appeared to be studying. A cup of coffee sat beside her books, and she had an earbud in while writing notes.

She noticed the way Wendy’s eyebrows were furrowed and how her hand moved as she wrote quickly.

Irene decided that she would let her focus, but her body and heart of their own will as her feet carried her to the girl’s table.

She had stopped awkwardly at Wendy’s table and was staring at her, open but no words coming up.

Wendy looked surprised and was obviously waiting for Irene to say something first.

After a few seconds, maybe minutes, of waiting, she finally spoke up. “H-hi Irene.”

That stammer was so cute.

“Hey, Wendy.” Irene couldn’t believe what she had just done. “Have you eaten yet?”

“No, I have an exam in an hour,” Wendy replied. She seemed to be nervous now as she played with her pen. “Did you?”

“I will soon.” Irene had a bowl mixed with meat, vegetables, and rice, and a side of potato salad and bag of chips. “Um..here. You should have this.” She gave Wendy the potato salad and chips. “You can focus if you eat something.”

Wendys’ eyes widened and Irene thought it was the funniest thing. The girl’s face was capable of many expressions. 

“T-thanks…”

Irene regained her composure and control as she smiled calmly. “Good luck. See you on Friday.”

 

While walking back to her office with her meal, she scolded herself for acting weirdly. 

Was it weird? 

Hmph, standing and staring without saying anything is creepy…

She saw a couple to the side laughing together and sharing a kiss that lingered way too long. 

No. Focus. There’s too much work to do.

Irene made herself to think that she just thought Wendy was simply an interesting person and nothing more than that. 

Irene joined her friends at the table after bringing out some sparkling cider to drink. 

“How’s life with your sister?” Sehun asked.

Irene shrugged. “Just like old days, I guess. But she’s more independent now.”

Joy did really come home just to sleep and sometimes eat dinner with Irene. Most of the time, she was out and did not return until late, just seconds before the curfew Irene set for her. Despite them being adults, Irene knew her parents still depended on her to keep a careful eye on Joy. She was the eldest after all, and Joy could be silly sometimes.

Joy had told her that she would be out so Irene hadn’t seen her all day.

“It’s nice of you to let her stay,” Taeyeon added.

“I guess company’s ok.”

When it was time for book club to start, Irene was a little surprised that Wendy was running late. She was usually five minutes early.

Irene excused herself from her friends and went to check the front door in case Wendy might already be here. Sure enough, Wendy was outside, but hopping out of Joy’s car. 

The woman frowned. What was Joy doing with Wendy?

She watched Wendy run up to the porch with her book in hand and ring the doorbell.

Irene remembered the girls exchange numbers and she felt very unsettled at the thought of Wendy and Joy together. Alone.

Still, she put on a smile for Wendy, who was apologizing to her at the speed of light. 

Wow, she could be a rapper.

Irene tried to make light of the situation and told her. “You’ll have detention for that.”

And she instantly regretted that because the color drained from Wendy’s face, and fear entered the girls’ big moon eyes.

“T-that was a joke, Wendy,” Irene said apologetically. 

“O-oh…hahaha! Nice…” 

Irene felt extremely crushed. We don’t know each other well enough…

You’re getting ahead of yourself.

“Come in. We’re just getting started.” Irene tried to regain her usual self despite her embarrassment and uneasiness gnawing at her. 

What were Wendy and Joy doing together? Did they get along together? Were they a compatible couple?

Ugh, no. Joy is straight, she told herself. She’ll be going back to Hyunwoo soon.

What am I saying?

While the book club discussion continued, she realized that she might have to come to terms with the truth. 

I think I really do like Wendy.

 

A/N: Hey all, sorry for the wait. I had a hard time coming up with this chapter. Thanks for your patience and I hope it was alright. There will be more wenrne next chap with wenjoy too lol.

Please let me know what you want to see, and I”ll try to include it. 

Thanks!!! I have lots of assignments due so it might take some time before I update again, but I will try to write soon!