-23-

Book Club Chronicles

"Sir, why didn't you ask him about the knife?" Minho's underling, Taemin, asked. "Or the fact that he was holding it to the girl's throat?"

"We are out of time. I have another case to attend to." He pressed the button for the elevator. "I will meet with the two women soon."

"But sir, he was threatening the girl! Anyone could see that from the cameras." Taemin protested as they entered. "That should be enough, right?"

"I know, but we should gather as much evidence as possible before handing him over. Did you notice his behavior during the interrogation?" 

"He talked a lot..." Taemin said slowly. 

Minho checked his watch and the elevator door opeend to the lobby floor. "Meet me here at 6pm sharp. We're going to talk with Irene Bae. Check with the department if they've finished testing on that knife."

"Yes, sir."

--

Irene had been hoping for a peaceful evenign to herself so she definitely did not expect a visit from a detective from the police department. She began wishing that Joy had stayed and not gone to Wendy's game. Or maybe she should have gone out. She had heard not so good things about the police these days.

"Evening, Miss Irene Bae," Minho said. "I am Lieutenant Choi Minho from the Seoul National Police department. Id' like to ask you some questions about the assault involving you, Kim Suho, and Son Wendy." He held up his badge to confirm his identity.

"Er hi! I Lee Taemin, his assistatn," a scrawnier young man told her.

A few moments later, they were seated at the table. Minho seemed a little intimidating but she supposed it was part of his job dealing with criminals and such.

Taemin suddenly whipped out a box of tissues earning him a disapproving and incredulous look from Minho. Where the hell did you get that?

"Just in case," Taemin timidly defended himself. 

"I had a little talk with Kim Suho this morning. Is it true that you were romantically involved with him?" Minho continued.

"Yes."

"Ok. Now, were you aware that Suho was coming to see you?" 

"No." Irene hesitated before continuing on. She remembered how he grinned at her with a malicious glint to his eye. He revealed that he had been the one to leave the anonymous notes for her. Suho knew she had seen his notes and instilled fear in her. "Surprise, surprise," he had said with a smirk. "Did you get my messages?" He pulled out a new one from his pocket. I've got you.

"But he had been leaving anonymous notes leading up to his appearance," she added.

"I see. Do you have them with you?"

Irene nodded. She only had the last one though because she tore the first ones that she thought were a prank. Taemin followed her and pulled on rubber gloves before delicately handling the evidence into a plastic bag for protection.

Minho was very focused on his mission and did not linger anymore about the torn notes.Just one was good enough.

"Tell me what happened when you saw him," Minho instructed her. "Tell me everything you can remember."

Irene swallowed as she was forced to revisit the events that she would prefer to forget. "I told him to go away because I didn't want to see him. But he wouldn't listen and he grabbed me..."

"Why didn't you want to see him?" Minho pressed.

Irene would not have tolerated that question from anyone, but since this was from the police, she had to spill. She just hoped that Suho would get the punishment he deserved after this. "He wasn't good to me."

"What do you mean?"

"He was very controlling, and if he didn't like what I was doing, he would...hurt me..."

"That er!" Taemin hissed. "I knew it!" But Minho hushed him loudly.

The lieutenant prompted her to continue and she fetl like her wounds hurt more just reliving it through words. "Wendy was coming to my office because I needed to return a book to her. She must have seen us and tried to intervene...to protect me." She remembered Wendy had siad those exact words ("I wanted to protect you") the last time they spoke. "Suho overpowered her and hurt her so badly. I wanted to stop him, but I couldn't. He punched my face so hard that I fell. And the next moment, I saw him holding a knife to Wendy's throat. He was goign to kill her, I know he was. Suho was so mad because I didn't do what he wanted."

Minho nodded seeming to be deep in thought. "Is it perhaps...this knife?" He pulled out a little transparent case where the shining blade sat in all its glory.

The hilt was fancy. A dnagerous kind of beauty.

Irene nodded in confirmation and Minho sat back. "Thank you for your time, Miss Bae. I apologize for reaching into painful memories, but it has helped us so much mroe to ensure his arrest. Tell me one more thing. What is your relationship to Wendy if any?"

"Just acquaintances," Irene replied. "We are in an academic book club with my other friends."

"Sounds fun," taemin chimed in and got a warning glare from Minho. "I mean, that makes sense. There is some form of familiarity for her to try to aid you...though it was a bit reckless."

They finished up discussing the details and Irene bid them a good night as they exited her home. 

 

Little did they know, Sehun had seen Minho and Taemin - two men of the law - enter and leave her house. He initially wanted to visit her as a friendly gesture to check up on her, but the moment he saw a police car in front of her house, he stopped himself from leaping out. 

Something wasn't right.

Sehun glanced down at the donuts he had bought for them to enjoy together - alone hopefully, since Joy was usually out in the evening gallavanting off to who knows where her wild heart took her.

The police had taken approximately an hour to talk with her. The funny thing was the skinny one was carrying a box of tissues. 

After the police car rolled away a safe distance, he exited his car and rang on Irene's door bell.

Strangely, no one came to answer the door.

And Irene wasn't the kind of person to keep a friend hanging.

--

When Joy arrived a qaurter after the game started, she saw Seulgi chomping on snacks and screaming like there was no tomorrow.

The crowd roared with excitement as the soccer ball sailed closer towards a goal. JOy didn't really understand soccer, but she at least knew about who was scoring where. 

"GOOOO WENDY! SHOWS THOSE BISHES WHAT THOSE TINY LEGGIES CAN DOOOOO!" Seulgi roared louder than the dudes.

Joy was grealty impressed. There was a spot next to Seulgi completely occupied with drinks and snacks. Joy managed to get her attention through the hullaballo and Seulgi made space for her - by dumping all the snacks onto Joy's lap.

"Have some" Seulgi beamed and went back to cheering crazily for Wendy.

Joy had only gone to one other game, but she was surprised how different Wendy was on the field. So aggressive, strategic...everything a normal Wendy wouldn't be like...in normal daily things.

Also, Wendy looked like she might be ripped and Joy wondered if she had abs tougher than Hyunwoo's (Joy's bf).

On top of that, one glance at Seulgi, and Joy couldn't believe how slim she was. She was eating snacks that were way over the suggested caloric intake. Was this even healthy?

By the time second half rolled around, Wendy's team adn the opposing team were tied.

They were currently battling for the win and right now Wendy's team was in the lead but only by a little bit. If the opposing team scored, Wendy's team would lose.

 

Wendy was physically tired. She had been running back and forth liek a mad lad, stealing the soccer ball and making blocks and interceptions to get an edge in the game. 

She even managed to score from a good distance away. The goalie was a hair away from smacking it out of the net.

Then, the worst happened. The opposing team kicked the ball, Wndy's team mates completely missing the interception. The ball sailed towards the goal net adn then bounced off the railing.

Wendy went into high gear and made a huge jump. She bashed the ball with her head away from the opposing team, and her mates charged like antelope. 

The opponents were flustered and trying to get back, but with only a few seconds left, it was impossible.

Wendy's team won.

And Seulgi was the most hysterical among all the audience.

 

"Wendy, what a save!" the captain congratulated her. "I'm honored to be along side you as a teammate."

She thanked her and doused her face in cold water. For some reaosn this game felt like she had to endure longer and fight harde,r but maybe it was because of the pressure of being the final game.

After a closing emotional pep talk with the coach, they parted ways, Wendy to meet iwth Seulgi and the rest of her team to go drinking in to the night.

"That was soooo good!" Seulgi sidled up to her best friend when they met up. 

"That was awesome," Joy agreed. 

 

They didn't hang out after because Joy wanted to check up on Irene, but she didn't tell them that. 

"Tell Irene I said hello, and I hope she's feeling better?" Wendy asked and Joy promised she would.

But when she got home, she saw Sehun sitting on the steps with a now cold bag of donuts.

"Bro, whoat the hell are you doing here?" she demanded.

"Ah, sorry.I was worried about Irene. Is she home?"

Joy frowned. "Yes...I believe so. Did you call?"

He nodded. "No answer."

"She's been feeling overwhelmed lately. It might be better to let her alone for now." Joy started to reach for her keys to unlock the door.

"Wait. I saw something wierd today." He stood up and seemed to have a troubled expression on his face. "I saw police enter her home."

Joy's eyes widened, and she felt her blood run cold. Police was not something to bring up lightly "W-why?" she asked. PErhaps it had something to do with Suho?

"I'm not sure. But she is here. I just don't know why she won't answer to a friend." Sehun felt hurt. Sure, he had been a little pushy about dating in the past, but he still considered them close friends. "Do you know what's going on?"

Joy had to choose her words carefully because she wasn't sure if Irene would like for Sehun to know this situation. "How well do you know Irene?' she asked.

"Well enough," he replied. "I know she had a hard time in her past. That's why she won't date anyone."

"Does she trust you?" Joy pressed.

"Trust? I...I would hope so..." he seemed unsure now. "We've known each other a while."

"Look...maybe you should wait. Irene's not up to her usual self so...go home."

--

Meanwhile, Irene was aware that SEhun ahd been here a while. She felt bad but didn't feel like she wanted to speak to him. 

She didn't want to talk abut anything. Not Suho. Not Wendy. And not the police.

So Irene hid in her room and stared at the unopened card from Wendy that she had been avoiding the whole week.

How is Wendy? 

 

--

hey y'all, had a hard time writing this a little. Did my best on the interrogation parts...hope it was ok - ish.

Thanks for your feed back, super appreciate it!