-3-

Book Club Chronicles

A week passed and Wendy found herself in Irene's house again. This time she was more prepared to contribute her thoughts about the book, which was based on a post-apocalyptic setting where the government's scientific experiments had gone out of hand and disrupted the peace. Creatures of war roamed what was once cities and residences, and those of humanity that did survive lived frugally as nomads. Trust was very little and often no one knew who was friend or foe, so a lot of people died unnecessarily.

It seemed like there was no winning as the book ended with an unsettling finale. Did the main character die or survive after the final battle?

Anyway, that's what they were discussing at the moment.

"It ends the way it starts," Hani said. "So maybe he did survive and is recounting his story after his experience."

"That's a good point," Sehun said. "Although, it says that he heard "the angels chorus as he rushed forward". It even says that he felt pain slicing into him so I think that means he was struck. AND, the cross he usually wore around his neck was gone. So I think that meant he lost his 'blessing' of life and died."

Damn, he was really good at refuting other people's points, Wendy thought to herself.

"There does seem to be a consistent reference to that cross necklace," Irene added. "He often uses it as a good luck charm or some kind of form of comfort in dire moments. He still trusts in a greater power and bases his values and ideals on his religion in order to maintain order and make important choices even if they don't turn out the way he would like."

She's so smart, Wendy thought to herself. How could Irene make a simple book sound so much more?

That's when Wendy also noticed the way that Sehun watched Irene, like he was really absorbing her words and taking everything in as if her word were law.

Well, who wouldn't not like Irene?

"I think that he didn't know what to do in the end and even his religion and belief in a greater power couldn't help him at that point," Taeyeon said. "So, yeah, I think he died." She turned to Wendy with an encouragin smile, "What do you think, WEndy?"

"I think he did die," she replied, and remembered her notes this time too. "He was always wondering about the inevitable, and I feel like he gave up at the end. It sounded like he gave his last effort. He describes burning in his lungs and how his legs can't keep going. He wants his sister and the others to go ahead of him to protect thme but also because he knew it was over. I think the reference to the cross as Irene mentioned might have some symbolism that has to do with his ability to survive. So I agree with Taeyeon on that part. Generally, with these kinds of stories the ambiguous ending doesn't usually have a good ending if any...at least in my experience."

"You are taking the words quite literally," Sehun said.

Wendy wasn't sure if that was meant as an attack, but she just shrugged, "Yeah. He's been fighting for a while it sounds like."

"Those are good points Wendy," Irene said.

Wendy felt a little better to know that Irene was acknowledging her, and she almost forgot about the real reason why she started joining the club.

 

After the discussion, they put away the chairs and helped Irene clear up the refreshments.

"Hey, so how's soccer going?" Sehun asked.

"It's ok," Wendy replied.

"Oh, right! Any games coming up?" Taeyeon asked.

"In two weeks."

"We should totally go!" Hani exclaimed.

"Go where?" Irene and Seohyun reappeared from the kitchen. Irene had a small wrapped foil lump in her hands as she rejoined them.

"Wendy has a soccer game in two weeks," Hani replied.

"It depends what time, though," Seohyun pointed out reasonably.

"Ah, yeah, it's in the afternoon," Wendy said.

"Darn. We have work," Taeyeon said. "Well, good luck then."

Wendy thanked her and accidentally cast a glance at Irene, who was watching her thoughtfully.

Soon, Irene was walking them to the door and Sehun even left faster this time. Wendy was just walking down the walkway when Irene called her back. She turned around wondering if she had forgotten something, but Irene came out to meet her and handed her the foil lump. "These are for you," she said.

"T-thanks." Wendy wasn't expecting a gift of any kind.

"Ok, well, see you next week! Don't forget to read the new book." Irene said. "Share them with your friend!"

 

"What's that?" Seulgi asked once Wendy got in the car.

"Cookies," Wendy replied. "Irene gave them to me."

"OOOhooohoho oohohoh oohoh ohohohohoho!" Seulgi gushed and took her hands off the wheel to gush like an anime girl.

"HEY! " Wendy grabbed the wheel. "You'RE GONNA GET US KILLED!"

"YOU MADE SO MUCH PROGRESS!" Seulgi exclaimed and took back control of the wheel. "She gave you a gift!"

Wendy looked out the window wondering if what Seulgi said was true. But either way, she still felt a little happy that Irene gave her something. THe moment replayed in her mind, how Irene rushed to meet her halfway and give her the food with a smile on her face.

Maybe there was hope.

"We can eat them when we get home," Wendy said. "She knows you're a hungry bear."

--

Hi Irene, I'm so sorry for the short notice. I won't be able to make it to book club this week because my soccer practice was pushed later. Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

-Wendy

 

Hello Wendy, no problem. Thank you for letting me know.

Best,
Irene

 

Irene closed her laptop and leaned back in her chair in her office.

It was so soon for her to miss book club, but Wendy was still a student, she mused. Academic activities were important. Wendy would come back.

 

--

hey guys, its a bit of a shorter chapter, but hope you liked it. Thanks so much for reading. Please let me know what you would like to see and I will try to include it in later chapters as I see fit.

peace.