-1-

Book Club Chronicles

Wendy didn't know why or how she ended up getting talked into such a stupid idea. Here she was, on the front porch of the book club's location, dressed in her best casual clothing possible, her hair pulled back into a ponytail, and a copy of the latest title the club was into.

She was outrageously nervous, and nothing coudl be done to stop her fingers from flipping through the pages again and again.

Wendy pondered the thought of turning around. IT was still early yet and she was sure it would be suspicious if she hung around any longer. Someoen might call the police, or worse, someone inside might have already seen her and was about to welcome her inside.

She turned around to find Seulgi still in the car smiling and waving, motioning for her to go on in!

Wendy glared at her, and made sure it was clear that she was going to get back at her for coming up with this plan.

But by the time she had finally decided to turn tail and run, the door opened, and Wendy's crush was standing there in all her glory.

And that's whne she remembered why she was here.

Also, Wendy hadn't read the book.

 

So Wendy unfortunately let herself get dragged into the nice little home down the hall to the living room where a few other people were gathered. They were socializing with food and drink, discussing the latest news - probably saving book talk for later.

Wendy gulped, and almost lost her marbles when Irene said, "Wendy, right? I got your email."

"Oh..hahaha...same." Wendy couldn't believe that was all she could say at such a crucial time. First impressions were importnat! "Uh...um, yeah, it's...Wendy."

Irene smiled. "I'm Irene. It's nice to finally talk to you." Luckily she did not ask how and why Wendy decided to join. "Want something to eat or drink?"

Wendy shook her head, not wanting to get upset stomach or hurl all over the floor (due to nervousness).

"Ok, we'll get started soon. Everyone is nice here for the most part, so don't worry too much," Irene said. "I hope you enjoy the book and the club."

Wendy nodded because she didn't trust herself to say something smart or stupid.

 

Ok, remember when Irene offered snacks?

Wendy wished she had taken up the offer because her stomach was beginning to awaken its fury.

Also, it didn't help that she was extremely nervous and a quick synopsis of the book on Wikipedia didn't really stick in her head.

First, the club gathered around in a circle so they could all see each other.

Wendy began to regret her choices very much.

Then, Irene introduced Wendy to everyone. Three women and one guy: Taeyeon, Seohyun, Hani, and Sehun, who was quick to choose the spot next to Irene.

Wendy happened to be on Irene's other side but only because Irene probably could tell she was nervous as , and didn't know what to do with herself. So she gratefully took the offer, but later realized she might regret it because her mind began to spaz about sitting next to her crush.

Anyway, they were all pretty nice, and Hani seemed pretty friendly.

"So, Wendy," Sehun said loudly. "Since you're new here, why don't you tell us what brought you here?"

Wendy couldn't believe she was being put on the spot right now, and she was internally having a meltdown as all eyes landed on her, and she was insanely anxious about this whole situation.

DAMN YOU SEUL!!!

"Um...I wanted to...to try something new?" she offered.

Sehun seemed to accept that answer although he pointed out much to her dismay. "Well, that's all nice but you don't evne have the right book."

WHAT?! Wendy glanced down at the copy of the dumb book Seulgi told her to buy - as Seulgi had been the one to last minute throw her into this mess with last minute bad research.

"That's ok," Irene said in her calm yet authoritative voice. "Mistakes happen. You have the right series, but the wrong book volume, Wendy."

godammiittt...WEndy was crying and dying inside now.

"Have you ever joined a book club, Wendy?" Irene asked and the latter shook her head. "You can listen and see what it's like for today. But next time bring the correct book. We'll be reading The Last Soul for next week."

"N-next week?"

The president nodded. "We meet every week. New week, new book."

"Oh." Wendy rubbed the back of her neck wondering how she was going to balance work, university, soccer team, studying, and adding a new WEEKLy book to read and analyse for a stupid club!

I did it all in the name of Irene Bae, she thought sadly. Maybe it wasn't worth it...or maybe this wasn't the right way.

Anyway, the book club passed too slowly for her liking as she listened to the group talk about the book with so much academic poeticness if you will.

She didn't even bother wondering what it was about now since she had read up a synopsis of the wrong book, and the session finally came to a painful end.

 

Everyone helped Irene put away the food and drinks, and cleaned up the place a little.

Sehun seemed pretty close with Irene ,adn Wendy wondered if they were a couple already and all hopes of asking her out was all for nothing. Trying not to be too bummed out, she tried to think of reasons why she and Irene weren't compatible, like this stupid book club.

But also, while they were cleaning, they were making small talk and trying to include her as well.

"Wendy! What do you do?" Seohyun, the youngest in the OT5 book club, asked. (Now it's six since Wendy came).

"I'm a student," she replied.

"Ah, you're still a kid," she concluded. "What's your major?"

"Sports medicine."

"WHoa, you're into sports?" Sehun chimed in. "What do you play?"

Wendy glanced at him and pushed the chairs back in place. "Soccer. I play on the university soccer team."

He seemed impressed for once because she was a girl playing in the big league games. "I used to play soccer back in the day," he said.

Sehun was some kind of engineer, Hani was a kindergarten teacher, Taeyeon was a freelance musician, and Seohyun was a pianist and piano teacher.

Irene finally returned from where she had put the last of the plates and smiled at them. It was time to go. She walked them to the front porch to wave them off. The others left pretty quick while Sehun lingered a little to chat with Irene- I mean flirt with Irene. It was too obvious.

Wendy didn't know how she couldn' be annoyed by his obvious advances, and also why was she still standing there awkwardly looking for Seulgi's old crapbag car?

She turned to them and offered a soft farewell for now, and Irene gave her a smile that made her like her even more. "Don't forget the new book, Wendy," she said cheerily.

 

"So how'd it go?" Seulgi chirped once they rejoined forces and were definitely far far away from Irene's house.

"IDIOT!" Wendy threw the book at her and Seulgi couldn't escape the onslaught of war while driving through the intersection. "YOU GAVE ME THE WRONG BOOK!"

"HEY! I helped you!"

"I WAS SO EMBARASSED! ONE OF THE GUYS MADE A FOOL OF ME AND IRENE SAW IT ALL!"

"Ok ok! Sorry! Next time I'll - "

"I'm not going back!" Wendy huffed. But then realized that she couldn't not go back. Irene was expecting her. She recalled the woman's reminder to bring the new "RIGHT" book. She cursed aloud and slumped in her seat. "I have to go back..." she grumbled.

Seulgi giggled. "Why? Did you finally ask her out?"

"No! They all think I'm coming back!"

"Next week?" Seulgi asked.

"Unfortunately."

"Aw don't worry. It'll grow on you, and plus, you'll never see her outside or inside of school. She's a - "

University Literature professor. OF COURSE SHE OF ALL PEOPLE WOULD BE THE BOOK CLUB PRESIDENT!

Wendy didn't forget that. Irene was probably leagues better and mature-er and was probably significantly older than her, and by that maybe almost a decade ahead of her in years. But Irene looked really young, like she was still 24 or something.

THen she began to question her choices in life and why of all people she had to be insanely infatuated with an older woman who hapepned to be a professor at the same university as her. At least no one asked where she was going. Not yet at least.

And hopefully WEndy woudln't have to run in to her at school. She was a junior and well past the need for general requirements so her literature courses were all out of the way.

Once they got to their shared unit, Wendy took a hot shower and cannonballed into her bed for some much needed rest.

--

Irene had just finished washing up for the night. A towel was wrapped around her neck and she was currently looking up information that was classified top secret.

Hahahah, she thought to herself. THis is important especially for this club. I need to know who everyone is.

It was very curious to have a young student want to join a circle of adults who were older than her. ALso, how did Wendy find out about them? Perhaps mutual friends?

She typed in Wendy's name, glad that the email address was under a full name, into the search bar.

Wendy Son

but there were a lot of Wendy Son's so she added soccer.

ANd BABAM! Even a photo of a soccer team popped up under a university URL link. And when she zoomed in on it, she definitely saw Wendy in soccer uniform sitting front and center because she was so small compared to everyone.

Irene liked her big bright smile. And Wendy also looked good in the uniform with her hair tied back in a messy ponytail.

WHOA. She closed the screen and pushed her phone away from her. Wendy is too young, she told herself.

And the other crushing weight was that they were both from the same university except that Wendy was a student and Irene was a professor.

--

HELLO! HERE IS THE NEW CHAPTER! I have to tell you now so you don't worry: there won't be too much angst because I want this to be super fluff, and Sehun isn't gonna be too much of a problem because he will be rejected so hard he probably won't come back lol.

Hope you liked it. Please let me know what you would like to see. This will be major fluff and hopefully funny.

We need more fluff especially in times like these. (Obviously not going to solve what's going on right now in the world).

Thanksssssssss :DDDDDDD