-34-

Book Club Chronicles

Wendy was in a complete daze, not only from the hangover, but also the fact that Irene cooked something exclusively for her. It was a rice porridge with egg, some vegetable, and a little seasoning for taste - just something easy on a delicate stomach.

Wendy, being Wendy, felt bad that someone was wasting resources on her. This whole thing happened because she was drinking irresponsibly, having no experience and knowing she really shouldn't be drinking because of her health. She really felt embarassed in front of Irene's friends because she didn't want to seem like a freak that couldn't even handle alcohol.

She wanted to help, but Irene insisted that she rest, especialy since Wendy was having a bad headache that could knock her off her feet. So Irene made her sit in the chair (that Wendy had passed out in the night before) in the front room to wait for the food.

This felt really weird but nice. Irene was really nice. 

Wendy felt like she shoudl be doing something to help Irene, or maybe be with her in the kitchen intead of sit around doing nothing. But she also realized she was practically useless in this state, and standing in the kitchen with Irene would probably end in awkward silence and only her getting in the way. 

WHiel Irene was cooking, Wendy checked her phone for any messages from Seulgi. Her friend must be worried that she stayed over, and she half expected that Seulgi would have left a bajillion voice mails. 

Surprisingly, there were no notifications at all. Her phone history did show that Seulgi called last night, but it appeared that someone must have answered it while Wendy was knocked out from the alcohol. Probably Irene.

I will never do this again, she thought to herself. She felt awful, her whole body, her head, just everything.

 

"It's not an ideal breakfast, but it'll help," Irene told Wendy when she brought out the rice porridge with eggs, some vegetable and green onions, and seasoned with soy season. 

"Thanks." Wendy peered at teh steaming bowl. "Are you going to eat too?"

"I ate earlier," Irene replied. "I'm going to clear up the front."

"I could help you with the driveway," Wendy offered immediately. She figured that she had to return the favor somehow.

"It's ok, Wendy. There's no need. I'm glad that I was there to help you." Irene went to grab a coat already sitting on the chair, and the cold winter air blew in when she stepped outside, leaving Wendy alone to eat the food.

The ride porridge was actually alright.

 

When Wendy finished the food, she washed up the used dishes at the sink because she felt like it was rude to leave dirtied dinnerware for the host to clean. Irene still hadn't returned yet so Wendy thought it would be a good idea to see if she might need an extra pair of hands.

But just as her hands touched the knob, Joy's voice froze her in place. 

"Wendy? What are you doing here?"

--

Irene huffed as she shoveled the last of the snow from her front pathway aside. She leaned on the shovel to admire the work she had done solo. The driveway still needed to be done, but she decided that it could wait so she could check up on Wendy.

 

"Uh..." Wendy wasn't expecting to run into Joy, although she knew that Joy and Irene lived together. She just was not ready to have to tell Joy she was staying over because she got passed out drunk.

At that moment, Irene entered bringing in the winter wind with her, flecks of snow dancing all around her like some movie effects thing.

"Hey, unnie!' Joy exclaimed. "I didn't know Wendy was visiting."

Wendy glanced at Irene, who also returned the look. "Oh, yes," Irene agreed. "I wanted to show her a breakfast recipe since she made dinner for us last time."

Joy snorted in amusement. "ANything left?"

"Ah...no. I ate it," Wendy replied sheepishly.

"Aww, that's cool. You need to get more pounds anyway. Are you staying?"

Wendy glanced at her phone in case Seulgi texted her. Luckily, her friend was only seconds away giving her the perfect opportunity to bail out before things got too wierd. "Seulgi's waiting outside for me."

"I'll see you out," Irene volunteered immediately and started heading towards the front door.

Joy didn't seem to be concerned about Wendy being over and simply went into the kitchen to forage for something to eat. 

 

"Thank you for...helping me," Wendy was about to say "take care" but that dounded a bit weird right now so she tried to come up with something a little less intimate sounding. 

"You're welcome," Irene replied and opened the door for her. "If you want to try drinking, come to my house again." 

Wendy chuckled. "I really shouldn't drink." 

Irene gave her a sympathetic look. "Guess I'll see you in a month."

"Yep. See you then. Thanks so much for your hospitality." She finally remembered how to tahnk her properly, and then she waved as she started to turn away.

But then, she thought she must have fallen off teh steps and dreamed that Irene grabbed her wrist gently and pulled her back.

Wendy's eyes widened when she felt Irene's lips against her cheek for one, two, three seconds...maybe a half a second more....

"See you," Irene murmured and closed the door, leaving Wendy standing alone in shock on the front porch.

 

"It wasn't a dream." Wendy muttered to herself when she held her hand to her cheek that stil radiated with warmth.

Irene...Kissed me....

 

"So, how'd it go?" Seulgi asked hopefully with eyes aglowing like New Year's fireworks.

"Oh nothing special," Wendy replied. She decided not to tell her friend about the kiss. It seemed too personal and special to share so freely.

"But there hs to be something! You were drunk and spent a night and half the morning at Miss Bae's house!" Seulgi exclaimed.

"No...but I'll make you your favorite baked chicken and cheesy alfredo pasta."

Seulgi's mouth watered but she had to get ot the root of things. Wendy always seemed like she was avoiding any possible pivotal situations that would prove WENRENE is a dream come true.

--

"Irene, are you and Wendy close?" Joy asked curiously while Irene was making lunch.

"What do you mean by that?" Irne replied indifferently

"You and Wendy are friends?"

"Mm...I suppose so. Why do you ask?"

Joy shrugged. "Just wondering since she came over for breakfast with you. I don't think you've ever done that with Sehun."

Irene appeared to be unfazed. "It wouldn't be appropriate."

The younger sibling would have wnated to argue about the logisitcs behind the statement, but she didn't want to start a fight. Besdies, Irene already made clear her disinterest in Sehun so inviting him over for meals would be contradictory and make him want Irene more.

Joy trusted Wendy and decided that if Irene was making friends with some young college student, at least it was Wendy - who was more old fashioned than she expected.

The real question was how and why Wendy even joined if she was all sports, and definitely did not seem to be a puzzle perfect fit for her sister's book club even if she was academically inclined.

But it really did seem weird that Wendy and Irene had...something going on.

 

--

hey guys sorry for the late update. The first week of classes was more busy than I thought. 

But here is an update that is semi satisfying?

Thanks for your support. Take care and see you on the flip side.