-28-

Book Club Chronicles

Wendy felt a little nervous being at Irene's house - alone with Irene, a professor of the school she attended. She could only imagine what gossip would occur if anyone at school found out.

Currently, she watched Irene finding some spare pajamas for her to wear since Wendy had no change of clothes here at all. Staying over was definitely not on her list of plans for tonight.

"I think these should fit you," Irene handed Wendy some clothing. She showed Wendy to the bathroom and gave her a spare toothbrush and toothpaste to use. 

Wendy thanked her but felt a little uncomfortable using Irene's shower, and also felt nervous that she was wearing and using Irene's things. 

When she was done washing up, she realized that Irene hadn't told her where to sleep. So Wendy went back to Irene's room and knocked even though the door was open.

"Um...where should I sleep?" Wendy asked.

"Oh...you can sleep in here. It's too cold in the other room.

HWHAAAAAAAAAAT?! "U-um, sure..."

Irene didn't seem to be nervous telling that to Wendy, but in reality she was uneasy. She wasn't sure how Wendy would recieve that, but she wasn't going to make Wendy sleep in the cold on the sofa.

Or should she?

She didn't have any other spare rooms beside Joy's. ANd if Joy weren't using it, it would still be the office room. Irene would have slept in her office and let Wendy use her room.

"I have a sleeping bag," Irene told her. Her father had gifted it to her a few Christmases back since the sleeping bag had heat insulation. "You can use my bed, and I'll use the sleeping bag."

Wendy didn't feel comfortable sleeping in Irene's bed, but she was also glad that they did not have to end up being in an awkward situation. "It's no problem. I'd...feel better if I used the sleeping bag, actually."

Irene took it down and placed it at the foot of the bed since it didn't appear to be in the way when she would awake in the morning. 

While Irene went to shower, Wendy sat on the sleeping bag and checked for any messages from Seulgi.

And lo and behold, Seulgi had sent her one. Wendy had made sure to stop notifications so that no one - Irene - would see the crazy crap of Seulgi's 'wenrene' love story.

How's your little sleepover, Wen? *wink wink

Wendy shook her head. Seulgi was having way too much fun. Nothing is happening, idiot. She's being courteous because we would probably die trying to travel back home.

Stop being sore about it. This is your first step in your relationship with Irene. Don't hide your happiness. -Seulgi

I'm more nervous than happy. She's a professor and I'm a student at the same university! -Wendy

You're worrying about all the wrong things. Besides, no one is going to know. It's just one time. Calm down. -Seulgi

Easier said than done - Wendy

And all she got was a stupid LOL from Seulgi to end the conversation. Tell me how it goes, baby Wendy! 

Wendy didn't even have the strength in herself to send one more message in case Seulgi sent another horrifying message to add more queasiness to her uneeasiness.

It's fine, she told herself, It's just Irene and she's doing me a big favor not kicking me out in a storm.

Everything will be fine tomorrow.

Irene is nice.

She clikmbed into the sleeping bag and lay her head on a pillow Irene borrwoed to her. It smelled nice, like freshly made laundry and she actuallly relaxed a little until Irene stepped back inside the room.

"I hope it's comfortable?" Irene asked. "I'm sorry I don't have a spare room for you to use."

"No, it's cool!" Wendy sat up quickly. "I don't mind at all."

"Ok, I'm turning out the lights." 

The room became dark and Wendy heard Irene get into the bed. 

"Are you warm enough?' Irene asked again after a brief silence in the darkness.

"Yep."

"If you need more blankets let me know."

"Thank you, I think this will be fine." It sort of felt like a mother or sister checking up on her.

Wendy shut her eyes and hoped tht she would fall asleep faser than Irene. She wished she had her headphones to drown out hte painful awkwardness.

But the sleeping bag really was comfortable. And the heater helped to keep from the cold too.

Just as she was falling asleep she heard her name again.

"Thank you for agreeing to talk with me," Irene murmured. "I'm gonna try to...forgive me for my past."

Wendy wasn't sure what that meant, and she wasn't sure what to say. She didn't know enough about Irene's past except for the abusive ex. 

--

Irene awoke early the next morning. She was so used to awaking at around 6am, which also happened to be the coldest time of morning for her in the winter - although it was universally cold all day in the winter.

She stayed in bed a little longer, listening for any sound from Wendy. It was quiet enough that all she heard was the girl's steady breathing. Still asleep.

Irene checked her phone from any message from Joy. Her sister had informed her she was staying over at Hyunwoo's because of the storm and assured her that everything was fine. Joy was pretty straightforward about most things so Irene trusted her.

She lay on her side and stared at the clock on the wall, watching the little red hand ticking away the seconds.

Irene hoped Wendy didn't feel too uncomfortable sleeping on the floor. 

After a few minutes, she decided to wake up and make some breakfast for them. 

They should definitely have coffee too.

 

Wendy almost forgot about where she was because of how warm the sleeping bag was. She thought she was back home and and stretched out her arms, but hit a solid cold thing to the side. 

Strange.

She opened her eyes and found that she was staring up at an unfamiliar ceiling. 

It took a few seconds before she remembered waht the hell even happened.

Wendy didn't really freak out. She simply sank deeper into the sleeping bag. It was warm in the room, but she could feel an aura of cold lingering here too. 

Is Irene awake?

The girl tried to remain still so she could listen for any sound. 

It was so quiet.

Wendy sat up slowly and peeked over the edge of the foot of the bed. No one was here and the bed was already made.

Heh...well, worried for nothing...

She got up and looked outside the window. A snow plow passed by the street, clearing out the snow that had piled up on the road through the night. IT seemed calmer this morning compared to last night.

Everything was covered in bright white.

Just then, she heard noises from the kitchen, which meant that Irene was definitely awake and making something. 

Wendy decided to wake up and change now. She didn't want to seem like a lazy person sleeping in. How long had Irene been awake? 

She felt a little self counscious about her clothes since they were the ones from yesterday. But she didn't sweat heavily or anything so it should be fine. Not that she had anything else to wear. 

 

When she was all freshened up and dressed for the day, she rolled up the sleeping bag and set it to the side hwere it wasn't in the way. 

Now what?

She checked her phone for any messages from Seulgi, but there were none. FIgures. They usually slept in during breaks from school.

It was alreayd a little late morning - 9am.

She still sent a text asking her friend to please come pick her up.

Wendy wasn't sure waht she was going to do now. She felt uncomfortable waltzing through Irene's home like this, and she hoped Irene didn't think she was lazy for sleeping a little too long.

No. It's cool. The sleeping bag was just...extra comfy...

She finally mustered up some courage and took one step out of the room.

And almost crashed into Irene, who apparently came to check in on her.

"Good morning, Wendy."

"M-mornin'!" Wendy burst out. "Sorry...I didn't..look where I was going."

"Did you sleep well? I hope your back doesn't hurt from the floor."

It was strange how it seemed Irene was acting a little more 'normal', but it could be because she was being hospitable.

"I feel great," Wendy replied. "Thanks for letting me sleep over."

Irene gave her a small smile. "It's no problem."

"Er...I put the sleeping bag by the closet? I hope that was ok?"

"Yes, that's just fine. I made breakfast if you would like. I'm just, um, going to clear out the driveway."

"I could help you with that," Wendy told her. "Since you let me stay over." She felt bad staying in here eating Irene's food while the latter was working her back off.

Irene shook her head. "The snow's deep and I don't feel comfortable asking you to do my chores."

"It won't be a problem for me. Just...take it as a thank you gesture for your hospitality."

Irene looked like she might want to turn it down, but eventually agreed. 

 

Wendy thought clearing up the driveway was going to be a piece of cake. Like digging up sand at the beach.

So she definitely wasn't expecting it's weight and the amount that she dug up only a third of the way in to the task. Irene was at the front to clear up the pathway to her front porch.

When Wendy finally got halfway in, Irene appeared to check on her progress. "You're pretty quick," Irene commented.

"O-oh, thanks." Wendy was already working out a sweat from the task so her cheeks were warm and flushed pink. And the compliment made her burn even more with bashfulness. She just hoped Irene didn't notice it.

"you're pretty quick too, with the walkway," Wendy offered.

Irene seemed amused. "The pathway isn't as long as the driveway. But thank you."

Smooth moves Wendy.

"I can help you here," Irene said.

It was quiet between the two of them as they finished moving the snow out of the driveway. Joy would be back today, Irene had said, so they needed to make a place for Joy's car to get in. But Irene generally made it a daily chore to shovel up the snow.

Once they were finished, Wendy leaned on the shovel and exhaled loudly. Despite being the most fit between the two, Wendy's arms felt sore. 

A break from soccer and intense work outs really did make a difference. 

"Thanks for helping me. This usually takes me more than an hour," Irene told her as they put the shovels back in the garage.

When Irene shut the garage door, some snow that gathered on the roof overnight powdered down onto them. Wendy glanced up and saw the large sheets of white making its move to pummel them. Before she coudl thikn, she tackled Irene to move her away, but the latter ended up falling over with Wendy on top.

The mini avalanche plummeted onto Wendy and some of it onto Irene's face.

The impact of Wendy tackling Irene winded the both of them so they were hardly aware of their positions until after all the snow had fallen from the roof and piled onto them.

Wendy shook her head, the snow clumps flying off her hair, and she foudn herself staring into the eyes of Irene just centimeters - no, just a nose away.

GASPPPP.

"AH SORRY!" Wendy reared back much like a horse and fell onto her side to quickly get off Irene, who was also dazed. "I- I DON'T KNOW WHY - I THOUGHT TEH SNOW WOULD FALL ON YOU!"

While spluttering like this, Wendy was trying to get onto her two feet, but the slippery ground made it difficult so she just ended up falling over and slipping around.

YOUR CHRISTMAS MAGIC, SEUL! 

"I'm so sorry," Wendy said as Irene pulled herself up.

"It's ok." Irene grunted as she pulled herself up.

Oh no, what if I hurt her back?! "A-are you alright?" Wendy stammered.

"Yes."

Why do I keep mesing up like this? 

Seulgi would be laughing adn recording this if she could to embarass me.

"You have snow in your hair." Irene brushed out the white flecks from Wendy's locks much to her surprise.

Her heart stopped for one second. What the hell is happening?

And then it beat so hard and fast, her cheeks flushing again, and her whole body becoming hot with embarassment and nervosness.

"I-it's fine...." Wendy moved away from her instinctively, and passed her fingers through her hair a few times. 

At that moment, her phone vibrate,d and she pulled it out to find a message from Seulgi, who was currently on her way.

Oh damn, better be the truth. 

"Let's head in. I'm getting cold," Irene told her and started towards the house again.

Wendy followed her, but inwardly cringed as she remembered what she had just done. Why me?

--

They had breakfast together, awkwardly-ish. Irene was quiet adn Wendy was quiet.

Wendy was doign her best not to make eye contact with Irene and instead stared at the bakcyard that was empty now excpet for the snow. They had hot coffee and toast.

When they were finished, Seulgi happened to arrive and Irene walked Wendy to the door to wave her off.

"Thanks for breakfast and for letting me stay over."

"You're welcome."

Wendy waved at her before stepping down the porch steps, but completely forgot about the gift she had brought for Irene. She quickly reached into her coat pocket - it was still there - and she handed it to IRene, who was surprised. "Merry early Christmas."

"Oh! You didn't have to..." Irene took it delicately in her fingers. Another envelope. "Thank you. Merry Christmas, Wendy." She smiled and Wendy returned it too.

 

"SO HOW DID IT GO? DID YOU FINALLY KISS? DID MY CHRISTMAS MAGIC WORK?!" Seulgi exploded once she had dashed out into the road - safely of course.

"No and no. Nothing happened."

'But didn't you share the bed?"

"No, dude! She had a sleeping bag, which I slept in. WHy woudl I sleep in her bed?"

"awwwww...."

"How was it without me?" Wendy asked instead. "Miss my cooking?"

"No!"

"Well...nothing happened. I just borrowed her clotehs to sleep in and helped her clear out the driveway."

Seulgi was gushing and blushing like an anime girl filled with cuteness. "AWWW YOUR FIRST DATE!"

Wendy could only shake her head as Seulgi revelled in glee at the 'progress'. 

 

Irene sat on her bed and placed the new envelope on her bedside table.

She was the kind of person that waited for Christmas day to open gifts. THe envelope felt a little stiff in her hands so either it was a good quality card stock card, or there was something else inside.

Eh. that could wait.

Irene needed to get packing to visit her parents. Joy had just messaged her to tell her she would head over to their parents' home from Hyunwoo's so they would be arriving individually.

 

Irene leaned on the steering wheel as she waited in teh traffic. It was cold out so she had the heater to keep warm. Even with her coat and scarf, it was fricking cold. Maybe because she was so 'frail' as her friends liked to call her. Her body didn't have its own substantial insulation to stand the freezing air.

But when Wendy landed on top of her that winter morning, she felt a strange warmth that she passed off as embarrasment and shock. 

That was the closest they had been physically.

Also, when Wendy slept over, Irene had taken a peek at her to make sure she was comfortable.

Something insdie felt warm and reassuring having someone there in the same room with her, even if they weren't very close the way she was with Joy.