Hidden Treasure.

Love at First Bite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Hidden Treasure.

 

 

At around 3 am, Hayoon was unceremoniously woken up by a phone call from Kyungsoo. In contrast to her rough and sleep-laced voice, his was smooth like honey, telling the girl to get ready because he would be there in forty minutes. Giving a grunt in response, the girl had dragged herself out of bed, the room looking awfully lonely without the morning sun swarming in through the window. Taking a quick shower in hopes of waking her brain up, she changed into a light hoodie and ripped jeans. Then grabbing her bag with her computer inside, she gently pushed her door open, flinching slightly at the squeaking sound of the hinges. Leaving a note on the dining table, she tiptoed her way out of the flat, careful to not wake the others.

 

Leaning against a lamppost, Hayoon fought back a yawn while internally she cursed Kyungsoo for making her wake up at such an ungodly hour. Staring up at the dim sky however, she felt rather soothed by how eerily quiet the streets were, the usual city life yet to emerge from its slumber. A soft rumbling of an approaching car drifted into Hayoon’s ears. Looking towards the direction the sound came from, Hayoon saw a yellow jeep heading her direction, coming to a slow stop right in front of her. The window of the passenger seat lowered, revealing Kyungsoo behind the wheel, looking bright eyed and much more awake than Hayoon could say about herself. Sliding into the car, Hayoon put on the seatbelt and leaned back, exhaling loudly as she just stared blankly at the driver.

 

“Not much of a morning person huh Cinnamon Roll?” Kyungsoo asked rhetorically, his tone playful.

 

Lazily rolling her eyes, Hayoon stared at him, her eyes unblinking. Returning the stare, Kyungsoo was pretty certain that he could almost see the gears in her brain rolling, trying to synchronise her thoughts with her voice. It appeared though that it was going to take longer than normal for the girl to come up with a response. Raising an eyebrow in amusement, Kyungsoo started driving again, wanting to arrive at the farmer’s market as soon as possible in order to have first dibs at the best produce.

 

“Where’s Minseok and Irene?” Hayoon mumbled.

 

“No way Minseok would ever wake up this early.” Kyungsoo chuckled. “As for Irene, she needs her rest.”

 

“And I don’t?” Hayoon frowned at the male, her hands itching to jab him in the ribs had it not been for the fact that he was in control of the vehicle they were currently in.

 

“Thought some fresh morning air would do you some good. You’re indoors too often.”

 

“You’re buying breakfast,” Hayoon grumbled, reminding Kyungsoo very much of a grumpy cat.

 

“I’ll buy you a cinnamon roll.”

 

Hayoon childishly stomped her feet while Kyungsoo let out a low chuckle, his eyes sparkling with mirth.

 

“Do you go to the farmer’s market often?”

 

“No, even I treasure my sleep,” Kyungsoo replied, keeping his eyes focused on the road. “But when I’m in need of inspiration I like to visit the farmer’s market, see what seasonal produce there is that can I incorporate for a new recipe.”

 

Nodding, Hayoon looked out of the window. Observing the changing scenery outside as the two fell in a comfortable silence. A casual tune was playing on the radio and soon Kyungsoo started humming along to it, occasionally singing too. Hayoon kept her eyes outside the window, but a small smile crept on her face, feeling soothed by Kyungsoo's impromptu performance, his voice sounding like bells in her ears. If he ever decided to change careers, singing was definitely a good option.

 

・・・

 

In contrast to the city centre at such an early hour, the farmer’s market was bustling with life. Vendors were enthusiastically welcoming potential buyers, showing off their produce with pride. After the second time Hayoon lost sight of Kyungsoo because she got carried away by the sea of people, Kyungsoo ordered the petite girl to keep hold of him so that she would not get lost. Thus Hayoon found herself gripping onto the hem of Kyungsoo’s sweater, quietly following him around like a puppy. She was pretty certain she spied a rather smug expression on his face, but could not be certain because he kept his head facing the vendors.

 

The male had been meticulously inspecting every single item that caught his interest. He would pick it up, give it a good sniff, trace his fingers around the produce and weigh it in his hands but would ultimately put it back. Whatever his standards were, Hayoon coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter