Impromptu Date.

Love at First Bite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Impromptu Date.

 

 

“Happy New Year Hayoon!” Irene’s cheerful voice greeted the girl as she entered Dear Me carrying a large sealed cardboard box. “Oh that looks heavy, let me help you.”

 

Rushing out from behind the counter, Irene held on one end of the box while Hayoon kept her grip on the other end. The two girls carefully brought the box towards the empty side of the counter, away from the cashier and food display.

 

“Thanks, and Happy New Year.” Hayoon smiled gratefully while opening the box to reveal its contents. “My parents sent me clementines from Jeju since it’s in season now. I thought I’d bring some here. Could make some interesting desserts out of these.”

 

“Oh this is amazing!” Irene exclaimed, picking up a clementine and admiring its luscious shine and refreshing citrusy smell. “Kyungsoo will have a blast with these. He seems to be very inspired these days and is just itching to experiment with new flavours and textures. Really, he looks so excited every time he’s in the kitchen it’s quite adorable.”

 

Hayoon too picked up a clementine, twisting it around her hands, finding comfort in its rough skin grazing against her palm, her mind wandering off into the distance trying to imagine the Kyungsoo in Irene’s description.

 

“Well he did promise me more delicious food this year, so he better bust his in the kitchen.”

 

“My favourite customer~” Minseok sung as he appeared from the roasting room, a bag of coffee beans on his shoulders. "May the new year be a prosperous one and bless you with the miracle of growing a few inches taller!”

 

Throwing the bag of beans on the ground, Minseok clapped his palms around Hayoon’s face, squeezing her cheeks before finally engulfing her in a bear hug. Hayoon whined in fake protest though she welcomed the smell of freshly roasted coffee beans that Minseok brought along with him.

 

“I don't think that’s quite possible. It will probably be more feasible for Jongin to dislike chocolate or something.”

 

Minseok chuckled at the comment, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

 

“Kim Minseok go deliver the beans and stop harassing Cinnabon Roll!” Kyungsoo’s voice hollered from the kitchen. “If by the time I'm done with this brioche you’re still out there you’ll suffer the consequences.”

 

“I’m going, I’m going, sheesh,” Minseok complained, giving Hayoon one final pat on her head. “Duty calls.”

 

Picking up the previously abandoned bag of beans, Minseok exited Dear Me and mounted on his bike after making sure the bag was securely latched on the back. Waving brightly at Hayoon and Irene, he rode off into the distance.

 

“You’re so lucky Hayoon,” Irene sighed as she leaned against the counter, a dreamy look in her eyes as she stared towards the direction Minseok disappeared off to. “Minseok pays extra attention to you all the time. Every time we get new beans the first thing he wonders is if you’ll like it.”

 

“He just doesn't want to lose his most loyal customer,” Hayoon mused. “How else would he afford paying your salaries otherwise?”

 

Irene chuckled at Hayoon’s response but remained unconvinced.

 

“Seriously though, he lights up every time you show up. Most certainly doesn’t do that when I arrive, let alone a pat on my head. If only I received even just a tiny bit of that attention.”

 

Hayoon tilted her head to the side. Staring intently at the girl in front of her, a heavy question weighted on her shoulders.

 

“Maybe he doesn’t want to suffer the consequences of receiving Kyungsoo’s death glare?”

 

“And why would he be worried about that?” Irene furrowed her brows, looking rather confused.

 

“Well, you know…” Hayoon mumbled, unable to meet her eyes. “You and Kyungsoo…”

 

Irene’s look of confusion only deepened as she had a hard time wrapping her head around what Hayoon was insinuating. Then as if she had been hit with a tonne of bricks, she clasped her hands tightly o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter