Ara

Under the Light of a Thousand Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disclaimer: Pure fiction. An old draft and inspiration when Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) came out.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

“Eodiya?” Jong Kook’s stern voice was the first thing Ji Hyo heard when she picked up his call.

 

She smirked, becoming aware of the predicament she placed herself in. So her boyfriend finally caught up with the news. The urgency in his tone and the trace of his car’s angry engine picking up speed in the background were a clear giveaway that she could no longer keep her problem a secret.

 

“Annyeong,” she happily greeted him, hoping she wouldn’t get on his nerves.

 

“Ji Hyo-ah,” Oh damn, he seemed more pissed than she assumed. The last thing Jong Kook wanted was Ji Hyo making light out of her situation. Luckily for her, he’s still holding out from completely losing his temper. “Seriously, eodiya? Where are you right now?”

 

“At the park.”

 

“At the park? At this time?” Jong Kook couldn’t help but raise his voice. He was starting to get anxious. It was 1:21 AM. Who knows what kind of danger lurked after midnight? 

 

“Is someone with you? Are you alone?”

 

“Hotteok’s right next to me,” she assures him before reasoning,  “I just took her out for a walk.” However, he is very much familiar with her walks at this ungodly hour. The excuse was merely a cover for her to take a breather.

 

Letting out a deep sigh, he immediately turned his signal to switch lanes for his detour. Of course he knew where she’d run off to.  “Arasso, I’m coming for you. I’m ten minutes away. Same spot?”

 

“Neh, the usual. Hotteok and I will be waiting,” Ji Hyo confirmed, while keeping her cool. There was no hiding now. He wouldn’t let her off the hook.

 

“Ji Hyo-ah,” He called for her attention again, this time, in a much gentler tone.

 

“Neh oppa?”

 

“Promise me you’ll wait?” He firmly asked. “Please don’t shut me out. Not like last time”

 

Ji Hyo bit her lip and was feeling ashamed of herself, “Oppa, mianhe.”

 

“Gwenchana, Ji Hyo-ah,” He was starting to feel guilty about how he was reacting too. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have barged you in a call like this–”

 

“Just meet me here, Oppa.” Ji Hyo cut him off. “I also don't want a repeat of last time.”

 

“Neh, I’ll be there as fast as I can.”

__________________________________________________________________


 

Not like last time.

 

Ji Hyo did not want to repeat history and yet she found herself reliving a portion of it with her clouded thoughts. The only difference was she was not locked inside her room and she had agreed to meet Jong Kook.

 

Sitting at their usual resting spot, she tied Hotteok’s leash on the armrest of the bench.

 

Hotteok gave her a confused look. They hadn’t been out for long and she was suddenly being tied to rest.

 

“I’m sorry Hotteok. Jong Kook oppa’s coming to see us,” Ji Hyo patted her head and cooed her. “Aren’t you excited?”

 

Even though Jong Kook was one of her favorite buddies, her Hotteok couldn’t hide her disappointment for the abrupt stop in their activity. Instead of the usual response of tail-wagging, she plumped herself on the ground, not minding the comforting petting Ji Hyo was offering.

 

“Uri princess is not amused, huh?” Ji Hyo chuckled weakly. “Neither am I.”

 

She never intended to keep this matter to herself for so long but the universe had other plans. This morning, her lawyers informed her that the media found about the termination of her contract and the lawsuit she filed against her former agency. This, of course, resulted in a field day for the news, having sparked interest in her life’s problems again. Truth be told, she just wanted a quiet and fair settlement but her former agency wasn’t having any of it. Thus, creating a bigger audience for them from both the local news and abroad.

 

The only peo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter