Vulnerable

Under the Light of a Thousand Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong Kook

Hey babe, are you still awake?

 

Ji Hyo

It’s only 10pm. You know I’m still awake.

 

Jong Kook

Wanna meet up tonight?

 

Ji Hyo

What if I told you I don’t want to?

 

Jong Kook

Ouch.

 

Ji Hyo

I’m laaaazy. I’m already snuggling with Hotteok.

 

Jong Kook

And I’m jealous. I give better hugs than her.

 

Ji Hyo

You didn’t just say that.

How could you?!

Keep your washboard abs to yourself.

My princess has a huge fluffy tummy!!!

 

Jong Kook

I’m putting your dog on a diet and an exercise programme.

 

Ji Hyo

Hands-off, tiger. Mind your own business.

 

Jong Kook

Still not gonna change your mind?

 

Ji Hyo

Waeeee? Oppa, can’t we meet up tomorrow?

 

Jong Kook

What if I told you that I’m already outside your building?

 

Ji Hyo

What?! Are you serious?

 

Jong Kook

Does this look familiar?

[sent a photo of her apartment building]

 

Ji Hyo

Aish.

I hate you.

Why are you doing this?

I’m already in my pjs.

Ugh waaait.

You owe me ramen and you can’t say no.

 

Jong Kook

Yes ma’am.

 

Ji Hyo

Really?

Yah!

What is up with you tonight?!

You usually don’t back off without a fight.

Give me 5 min and I’ll be there.

 

Jong Kook

 

Ji Hyo

You suuuuck.

 

Jong Kook

I love you too.

 

Jong Kook smiled as he sent the last message and leaned his body forward while resting his arms on the steering wheel. Truth be told, he couldn’t sleep that night. As much as he needed and wanted rest to prepare himself for tomorrow’s big day, his worries and fears have kept his mind wide awake. After several attempts to fall into slumber accompanied by a few tosses and turns, he finally decided to get up, take his keys, and go out for a drive. Without any destination in mind, he wandered aimlessly along the streets of Seoul, not noticing that he was headed to the familiar streets of Mapo-gu. It was only when he had parked himself in front of Ji Hyo’s apartment building when he realized where he was and that’s how he ended up contacting his girlfriend.

 

He felt bad for inviting her to join him on such late notice, knowing she needs her rest too with her busy schedule. However, he could not deny that he is already feeling overwhelmed and is in dire need of a distraction — at least for tonight before his operation the following day for his hernia. Yes, a hernia. Who would’ve thought that his years of hard work and extreme caution to take care of his health has led to this? No one knows about this except for Gap Jin who loyally accompanied him for his check-ups, his family and the PDs of his shows. He hasn’t even told Ji Hyo about this, not wanting to cause her worry. He already felt sorry that he had to tell his mother about his carelessness and to add Ji Hyo into that mix, he’d feel worse. He knew he had to tell her sooner but he doesn’t have the courage to do that yet. Eventually, he’d have to deal with it when the right time comes, perhaps after the surgery when he’s in a much better state.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

Jong Kook was startled when he heard Ji Hyo’s knocking on his window side. He smiled upon seeing her in her coat over her pajamas and opened his window down to greet her, “Hey cutie.”

 

With her brow raised and arms crossed over her chest, she scoffed at him, “Yah, what are you doing here?”

 

“Come ride with me?”, he flashed her a lopsided grin.

 

She rolled her eyes and smirked at him, “Where to?”

 

“Hop in and find out.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

Ten minutes later, Ji Hyo had caught on that Jong Kook had no destination in mind. They’ve been driving around the district, passed by several places they could’ve stopped by, and went back and forth to a neighborhood in the east side twice. Something didn’t feel right. The moment she got into the passenger’s seat, he reached towards her, gave her a peck, and started driving off in silence. Her usual talkative and annoyingly cute boyfriend was quiet and obviously, distracted. She need not have someone tell her that something was bothering him and she’s determined to find out what it is.

 

“Oppa,” Ji Hyo broke the silence between them.

 

“Hmm?” his eyes focused on the road.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter