Insects

Under the Light of a Thousand Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disclaimer: This is a standalone based from the Home Series, but you may want to read the stories there if you want to get more references for this ficlet.

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Ommaaaaa!”

 

Startled by the loud shriek from Jin-ae’s playroom, Ji Hyo dropped the feeding bottles she was sterilizing in the kitchen and rushed to check on her daughter.

 

“Wae? What happened?!” she was alarmed when she found her four-year old crying and hiding underneath the tiny study table with her face covered in her hands.

 

Ji Hyo immediately dropped to Jin-ae’s level and took her daughter’s small hands, “Honey, what’s wrong? Omma’s here.”

 

“Omma,” her little girl trembled, “There’s a flying insect that came inside my window!!!”

 

Ji Hyo’s ears instantly perked up, “What? Where?!” In that moment, she too had the same expression as her daughter’s.

 

“There!” Jin-ae pointed her finger out towards the cabinet where the moth was currently resting. Ji Hyo’s eyes widened upon seeing the insect as she realized how big and terrifying it looked.

 

Although she was scared to death, she had to calm down and focus on how to address their situation first. Her daughter was in a more frightened state than she was.

 

“Jin-ae, why don’t you hold omma’s hand and we will move outside so we can escape the flying insect? Hmm?” Ji Hyo offered her hand to Jin-ae.

 

Jin-ae quietly took her omma’s hand.

 

“On the count of three. We will go out of the room together, okay?” Ji Hyo gently said as Jin-ae nodded. “Hana, dul, set.”

 

Jin-ae firmly held on to her omma’s hand as she crawled out of the table. They swiftly walked towards the exit. However, just when Ji Hyo was about to close the door, the moth suddenly flew and followed them.

 

“AAAAHHHHH!!!” Both mother and daughter screamed and ran to the master’s bedroom. Ji Hyo shut the door right away and carried her even more flustered daughter to their bed.

 

“Omma,” she softly cried in her embrace.

 

“Shh, sweetheart, it’s alright. We’re safe now,” Ji Hyo gently rubbed her hand on Jin-ae’s back.

 

“What if it follows us?” her daughter’s eyes grew bigger, exposing her fear.

 

“Uh…,” Ji Hyo hesitated and looked around their room to see if she could divert her daughter’s attention to something else. In the corner of the room, she spotted the newly washed and folded bed sheets and blankets she had just organized that morning.

 

“Jin-ae, do you want to build a fort?” Ji Hyo smiled.

 

“What’s a fort?” Jin-ae curiously asked.

 

“A fort...we’re going to build walls to protect us! Just like the big walls of the princess castles. We’ll use the pillows and blankets to put up walls and a roof. We’ll cover ourselves and hide here till the horrible moth goes away,” Ji Hyo pinched Jin-ae’s nose.

 

Jin-ae’s eyes grew with excitement

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter