Gary

Under the Light of a Thousand Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Gary Oppa. Is that you?” Ji Hyo slowly stood up and carefully looked at Gary. She couldn’t believe that he was standing before their eyes. After years without seeing him and losing contact, they’re finally reunited in one place.

 

“Oh, Hyung, Ji Hyo…,” Gary greeted them while still trying to absorb the coincidence of meeting his former colleagues.

 

A month ago, Gary and Soo Jin had transferred Hao to the school due to the special programme it offers for highly intelligent and skilled students like their son and its prestige recognition among the private schools in Seoul. When they had done this, they heard rumors that his former castmates' (Dong Hoon, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo) children were also enrolled there. There were photos of them at the last field day all over social media but he shrugged it off, knowing that the school implemented a confidential clause policy on the students’ profiles. He thought to himself, ‘What’s the point of confirming whether or not their kids go to the same school? All parents just want the best education for their children. They were bound to meet each other at some point. They still have networks in common in the entertainment industry. It wouldn’t be impossible for him to meet them and the other members of Running Man.’ Of course, fate had other plans and coursed its way to situate them here.

 

He was at the recording studio when he received a call from his wife this morning, informing him that they were being requested to come to the principal’s office to sort out a fight that had involved Hao and a female student. He frowned upon hearing the news. Hao was never the type of kid who got in trouble. In fact, he is regarded as one of the smartest and kindest kids in his previous schools. Gary wasn’t gonna lie. He was troubled that his son might be having a difficult time adjusting to his new environment. Since his studio was 40 minutes away from the school, he asked Soo Jin to proceed to the meeting first considering that she was nearer.

 

What he did not expect as he entered the room was that he would have to deal with Hao’s case against Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s daughter. To make matters worse, his wife looks intimidated. Who wouldn’t, with Song Ji Hyo dressed up looking like she just came from a shoot and was fully supported by Kim Jong Kook.

 

“Gary-ah,” Jong Kook cut his thoughts “it’s been a long time, brother,” he smiled and gave him a small yet awkward tap on the back.

 

Gary timidly smiled, “Yeah it is, hasn’t it? And look at you both— who would’ve thought?”

 

“Neh,” Ji Hyo agreed and stared at him, still speechless with his sudden appearance.

 

The principal cleared his throat to break the awkwardness in the room, “Welcome Gary-shi. We were just about to start. Why don’t you take a seat so we can begin?”

 

Gary nodded and sat next to his wife. Ji Hyo and Jong Kook also took their seats.

 

“Now that we’re all here, you are aware that our school has called you this morning because of a fight involving your children. Some students have told us that Jin-ae and Hao were arguing at the field. When the teachers came, the two were found crying with Hao nursing his leg from Jin-ae’s kick. Both students have been sent to the guidance counselor to clarify what went on.

 

Turns out a group of fourth graders challenged some first graders in a multiplication table quiz. Since the younger ones have not taken the lesson yet, the older ones teased them and called them stupid. While the rest of the first graders cried, Jin-ae stood up and tried to defend them. Hao, apparently, provoked her explaining that he already knew his multiplication table at first grade and playfully pinched her cheeks. Jin-ae rebutted and called him ugly and then kicked his leg.

 

Don’t worry, Hao was also sent to the clinic and was cleared by the doctor. While we don’t condone ‘bullying’, we also don’t approve of any physical violence among our students. This is why I’ve requested you both here. Our policy states that this case would usually require the students to undergo an hour of detention after classes for three days. No after school activities or clubs starting next Monday. However, given that this is the first offense and Jin-ae is just in first grade and Hao is still a new student, we’ve decided to settle this with a warning. We will reduce this to one session of detention tomorrow. I hope you understand,” the principal explained.

 

Both sets of parents were silent upon hearing this but Ji Hyo’s brows furrowed as she couldn’t simply accept the explanation why Jin-ae still had to go on detention for defending herself.

 

“Excuse me, Gyojang seon saengnim,” Ji Hyo called the principal’s attention.

 

“Yes, Ji Hyo-shi?”

 

“I do appreciate that the school doesn’t condone bullying however I don’t think I could agree with an hour’s worth of detention as a solution,” Ji Hyo strongly stated.

 

“But Ji Hyo-shi, please remember that both students have committed—”

 

Ji Hyo’s temper rose and cut off the principal’s explanation, “On what grounds should my daughter stay silent when someone is bullying her? I’m sorry Gary oppa and Soo Jin-shi but what if it was more than just a pinch on the cheek?”

Jong Kook held his wife’s hand under the table trying to soothe her. She was about to burst any minute and Jong Kook knew it could end up in two ways: 1) A very angry Ji Hyo or 2) A very emotional one.

 

Gary silently nodded. Ji Hyo had a point. If Hao was in Jin-ae’s case, he wouldn’t want his son to stay still and be bullied.

 

“Ji Hyo-shi, thank you for that comment. Rest assured, we have assessed the situation and have given great consideration over this matter. One detention is a simple reminder that rules are rules,” the principal responded.

 

Ji Hyo was about to rebut but Gary interrupted her, “She does have a point, Gyojang seon saengnim. Had this been done to Hao, I wouldn’t want him to stay silent. In fact, I personally admire Jin-ae for standing up to her friends. While I do agree that what happened was undesirable, would it be possible if you just let us settle this on our own? After all, they’re like family. I don’t think there's a need for detention.”

 

“Yes, we can deal with our kids’ quarrel. If both parties are okay with this, there shouldn’t be a problem, right Gyojang seon saengnim?” Jong Kook added.

 

The principal sighed, “I supposed there’s nothing that the school can do to counter that. Very well, then. I do hope once you’ve settled this, the students will be on more amicable terms.”

 

“Yes we promise to work on that. Thank you Gyojang seon saengnim for your kind understanding,” Jong Kook stood and politely bowed, followed by Ji Hyo, Gary and Soo Jin.

 

“Should I let my secretary you to your kids? They’re still at the Guidance Counselor’s office,” The principal asked.

 

“Please do,” Jong Kook smiled.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

On their way to the Guidance Counselor’s office, Jong Kook wrapped his arm around Ji Hyo, who still looked annoyed over the resolution. He placed a kiss on her temple, “Gwechana, Ji Hyo-ah.”

 

Ji Hyo lifted her head to stare at his face, “You know I still have a lot of things to say. I should’ve not held myself back earlier.”

 

“And let you get our Jin-ae kicked out of this school? I don

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter