Leap Year

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

'Good morning, Lulu!' Minseok sweetly whispered, gently shaking his son awake. Luhan stirred and curled into his duvet, hiding his face in his plush dinosaur's torso.
'Come on, baby. Otherwise; you'll get late for school and won't get to eat your favourite breakfast.'
The boy sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes and resting his head on his older father's lap. Minseok chuckled and scooped him up, heading for the bathroom. He steadied Luhan and handed him his purple toothbrush.

'I won't leave till you brush your teeth and wash your face,' he teased, crossing his arms and leaning against the wall as his son lethargically went about his morning rituals.


After a filling meal of pancakes drizzled with honey and crushed purple grapes (accompanied by a whole glass of chocolate milk, because Luhan would throw a fit if he were denied his "birth rights to milk"); Luhan found himself dressed up for school and aimlessly padding around as he had a few minutes to spare.
His eyes fell on the calendar hung near the dining table and he frowned - why was it still showing February? He righteously propped a chair up and climbed, carefully taking the calendar down and setting it on the table before flipping the page to March.

'Luhan! L--- what are you doing?' Jongdae asked, shaking his head and flipping the page back. Ignoring his son's protest, he hung the calendar and set the chair back.
'Let's---'
'Why?! It's March!' Luhan protested. 'Twenty-eight days are over!'
'But we have twenty-nine days in February this year, Lulu,' his younger father patiently explained with a smile curling his lips.

'Come, let's wait at the bus stop across the road and I'll explain more to you,' he supplied at his son's comically wide-eyed expression.









During recess; Luhan, Kyungsoo, Jongin and Zitao were huddled by a tree neat the youngest's classroom.
'How long will they take to finish eating?' Luhan impatiently tapped his foot, sighing with relief once Sehun and Baekhyun came into view.
'Let's play hide-and-seek!'
'No, Luhannie-hyung has something to say,' Zitao cut Baekhyun off and all eyes were on Luhan who cleared his throat and pursed his lips, suddenly feeling very important.

'Have any of you seen that something... weird has happened today?'
The small boys slowly shook their heads, before Kyungsoo meekly raised his hand.
'Kyungie.'
'W-We didn't have our Math class today?'

'No. Something weirder.'
Sehun raised his hand.
'My baba got coffee out of his nose.'
'No.'

'I'm getting a pet dog tomorrow instead of today,' Jongin pouted, not raising his hand. Luhan stood silently, a thoughtful look on his features before he let out a loud sigh.
'What is it?' Baekhyun frowned.

'All these are connected,' Luhan softly said and the boys frowned.
'But---'
'It's because of today.'
'Today?'
'Today,' Luhan nodded grimly. 'It's... not March.'

'Yes, it is!' Baekhyun snorted.
'Oh, yeah? Ask a teacher!'

Sehun looked around, running to the nearest teacher and returning moments later with wide eyes.
'S-She... said it's not March,' he gasped.
'I don't believe it!' Baekhyun cried out indignantly, running to the same teacher and dragging her to his friends.

'What is it, kids?' the teacher asked kindly.
'I-Is it M-March?' Zitao shyly asked, grinning when she lightly patted his head.
'No, it's still February.'

The teacher smiled and stifled a laugh at the scandalized expressions on their faces.
'B-But it's the first of March!' Jongin frowned.
'It's the twenty ninth of February,' she explained, turning to leave after they bowed in thanks.


'I... this...' Baekhyun stuttered. 'Nobody told me anything about this!'
'That's right,' Luhan nodded. 'Nobody said anything. And everything is because of today. You not getting your doggie, you not having Math... your baba giving milk from his nose---'
'Coffee,' Zitao interrupted, only to be ignored.

'It's all because today is still February.'

Silence.


'D-Does this mean... it will always remain February? No March?'
'I don't know, Baekkie.'
'B-But... Beom-hyung's birthday is in March!'
'He will never have a birthday,' Sehun gasped.
'This is not fair! I... No! That means none of us will ever have our birthdays!'

'We need to do something,' Baekhyun shook his head. 'My hyung needs to have his---'
'Wait... M-March... my baba's birthday!' Luhan shrieked. He thought back to his older father smiling at him and showering him with kisses as he handed over a big hand-made birthday card and a crown the previous year.



'I love this so much, Lulu,' Minseok cooed, kissing Luhan's forehead and hugging him close. 'You made this all on your own?'
The five year old nodded proudly.
'All on my own. No help from anyone.'
'Aw; my Lulu is so talented,' the older father sang. 'Won't you put this crown on my head for me?'
The boy immediately took the paper crown, carefully fitting it onto Minseok's head.

'Ah, it fits so perfectly,' Jongdae clapped, taking a picture with a grin and winking at Luhan. 'I wonder how---'
'I didn't ask appa to help with the size!' Luhan cried out, relaxing when Minseok cooed to him.


'Y-You really like this, baba?'
'I really love this, Lulu. I'll always love whatever you make for me,' Minseok reassured. Luhan loudly kissed his father's cheek and smiled.
'Then I'll make things for you for every birthday, baba!'



'I... won't be able to make more! Baba won't have more birthdays?!'
'We need to do something about this!' Sehun frowned and Zitao clapped with a squeal.

'It's adventure time for us. For Beom-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter