Another Pleasant Day

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sunday mornings at the Kim-Zhang household were usually loud, what with the children not having school and the parents having a day off from work as the norm called for. This allowed the family to sleep in, with the parents waking up by nine and the children, by ten. After all, such is the case in most households with a few exceptions here and there. Sunday mornings accompanied by sleeping in and slacking off were universals. But the eighth of February was a different case at the Kim-Zhang household, for that was the day the children would get to visit a farm. 

 

'Apba, apba~!' Sehun called out, his hand latched onto a squealing Zitao's wrist as he pried the master bedroom's door open with the other. The two brothers climbed up the king-sized bed and sat on their fathers' waists, dutifully shaking them awake. 

'Apba~~ wake up! Wake up, already!' Zitao lisped, alternating between Chinese and Korean as he patted Junmyeon's stomach rhythmically. The adult stirred awake, smiling when his younger son sprawled out on his torso and rested his cheek against his father's collarbone. 

 

'Apba, are you awake?'

'Yes, Taozi, I'm awake. What do you say when you wake up in the morning?'

'Good morning, apba,' the toddler recited in Chinese and repeated the greeting in Korean, giggling when Junmyeon ruffled his hair and pulled him up to peck his forehead. 

 

'Apba, wake up,' Sehun pouted, turning so that his back was to Yixing. He leaned down and bit Yixing's knee, successfully jolting his younger father awake. 

'Hunnie, no!' Yixing chided with a yawn, sitting up and kissing Sehun. 

'Get ready, apba!! We have to go!!' Sehun frowned, squirming in Yixing's lap. 

'Go where?' Junmyeon teased, pecking Zitao's forehead when the toddler stuck his thumb in his mouth and looked up at him. 

'The farm!! Apba, let's go~ get up!'

'We're up, Hunnie, we're up,' Yixing laughed, pinching the elder son's cheeks and waggling a finger at Zitao.

'No thumbs, Tao-tao.'

The child pulled his thumb out with a resounding 'pop' and grinned sheepishly, putting all his baby teeth on display. 

 

'Let's get your teeth brushed, come on!' Junmyeon cheered, leading both of the children into the bathroom. 

 

 

 

 

By half past nine, the Kim-Zhangs were good to go. A few minutes after Junmyeon had pulled their car out of the driveway and was headed for the main road, his phone buzzed with a message. Yixing unlocked his husband's phone and smiled at the message. 

'He's landed, he's waiting for his luggage now.'

'Who is it, apba?' Sehun perked up, momentarily ignoring Zitao, who was poking his cheeks with his black cat-plushie's paws.

'Junmyeon-apba's cousin, Hunnie.'

'What's a... a... cousin?' Zitao lisped.

Yixing hummed thoughtfully and turned to face his sons. 

'You know how Uncle Jongdae and Auntie Eunji are brother and sister?'

The two children nodded. 

'So Baekhyun and Luhan become cousins because of that.'

 

 

When they finally arrived at the airport, Yixing decided to take their sons to the restrooms while Junmyeon waited for his cousin at the gates. His eyes caught sight of a familiar face and he waved both his hands over his head to grab the elder male's attention, pushing through the crowds to meet him. 

 

'Hey, there, Jun,' the elder grinned, letting go of his trolley to hug his younger cousin. 

'Long time, no see, hyung.'

'Where's Yixing? And the kids? God, I'm dying to see them!'

'They're in the toilets, they should be ou--- there they are!'

 

Yixing approached the two and hugged the eldest male, grinning at the affectionate pat to his shoulder. 

'Both of you look exactly the same as you did before. What's it been now, seven years?'

'Too long,' Yixing nodded. The eldest male crouched down and smiled at Sehun and Zitao, who were hiding behind Yixing's legs. 

'Aw, come out. I won't hurt you,' he cooed and Sehun peeked at him from between Yixing's legs, shying away from the hand extended to him. 

'Hunnie, introduce yourself.'

 

'Anneyonghaseyo, naega Kim-Zhang Sehun imnida,' the pale child recited slowly, looking up at an encouraging Yixing and taking the hand offered to him. The adult hugged Sehun and pecked his forehead. 

'So this is Sehun! Don't you remember me, Hun?'

The child shook his head, sticking his tongue out. 

'Aw, that's okay,' the adult laughed. 'And who's this little boy?'

'He doesn't know much Korean yet, hyung,' Yixing offered. Seeing how Sehun was fine with the stranger, Zitao shuffled toward him, hiding behind his huge plushie. 

 

'What's your name?' the adult gently asked.

'An... neyongha... seyo, naega Kim-Zhang Zitao immindha,' he lisped. 

'It's 'imnida', Tao-tao!' Sehun whispered. 

'Anneyongha... seyo. Naega... Kim-Zhang Zitao... Tao... im... nida!' he repeated, beaming when he got the introduction right and saying it confidentally once more. The stranger laughed and ruffled Zitao's hair when the toddler shyly hugged him. 

'Hello, there, Zitao! Do you know who I am?'

Zitao shook his head. 

 

'My name is Kim Jaejoong, I'm your appa's cousin.'

'I know what a cousin is!' Sehun waved his hand in the air and grinned when Jaejoong pinched his nose affectionately. 

'How do you know me, Uncle?'

'I saw you on video when you were a baby, Sehun. You were really tiny.'

'Really?'

'Yeah.'

'And how do you know me?' Zitao lisped, hiding behind his plushie and peeking through his bangs at Jaejoong. 

'I'm your godfather, Zizi,' he smiled. 

'God... father?'

'Yes.'

'Like a... fairy... godmother?'

'Yes.'

 

Zitao grinned. 

'Can I hug you... uncle Jae?'

'Of course.'

'Even I wanna!'

'Go right ahead.'

'I think my sons are attached to you, already, hyung,' Junmyeon laughed while Yixing took a picture. 

 

'I want a... a... fairy godfather, too!' Sehun cried out, looking up at his parents with a pout. 

'You already have one, Hunnie.'

'Who?'

'Uncle Yifan.'

'Giant uncle?!'

'Yes, Hunnie.'

 

 

'Let's go, shall we?'

So saying, Jaejoong carefully carried both the children and followed Junmyeon to the car while Yixing wheeled the trolley behind them all. 

 

'See, see!' Zitao squealed, pushing his plushie into Jaejoong's face.

'Who's this little guy?'

'Gucci, he's my cat and I love him,' Zitao lisped. 'He can make noises!'

Zitao hid behind his plushie and meowed, pawing at his godfather's face. 

'He's a lovely cat,' Jaejoong offered, to which Zitao nodded furiously. 

 

 

 

Throughout the drive, Sehun and Zitao were fighting to grab their uncle's attention. Seated between the two, Jaejoong either paid them attention or talked to Junmyeon and Yixing about his stay in America. 

'Can you sing, Uncle Jae?' Zitao perked up. 

'Yes, I can,' Jaejoong nodded, adjusting the straps of the toddler's baby seat and smiling. 

'In what?'

'I can sing in Chinese, Korean, Japanese and English.'

'Whoa~' Sehun clapped. 'Can you teach me some English, please, Uncle Jae?'

'Definitely,' the adult laughed. 

 

 

'Aah, hyung, you said you had an Indian colleague back in America?'

'Yup.'

'That explains the weird song you sent,' Yixing shook his head. 'Taozi here couldn't stop dancing to it.'

Zitao perked up in his seat, momentarily forgetting his plushie. 

'What?'

'What's your favourite song, Tao-tao?'

'Shano~!' Zitao squealed and Sehun slapped his hand to his forehead. 

'Not again,' he groaned. 

'I regret absolutely nothing,' Jaejoong laughed, giving Zitao a high-five.

 

 

'Er... Myeon?'

'Hm?'

'What's this great song Zitao's talking about? He said it's on your phone.'

Junmyeon sighed, setting aside Sehun's homework for a moment to look up wearily at Yixing. 

'Promise you won't laugh.'

'Apba will laugh, I know it,' Sehun chimed. 'That song is so annoying!'

Junmyeon nodded his agreement and motioned for Yixing to follow him to their room. He fumbled around with his phone and attached his earphones to it, handing it to Yixing. 

 

'You're gonna regret asking about it,' he shook his head, staring at Yixing to gauge his reaction. Yixing's expression was neutral, slowly morphing into a grimace and contorting into pain as the chorus rolled in. He pulled the earphones out and the phone back into Junmyeon's hand. 

'Nope, nope, nope, nope all this,' he shook his head fervently, throwing his hands up and chanting the words. 

'Blame Jaejoong-hyung.'

'Zitao has been dancing to this like crazy!'

As if on cue, Zitao shrilly cried out for Yixing, starting to scream the song out. 

'MAKE IT STOP!' they heard Sehun holler from the living room and Zitao laughed in reply, singing louder. 

 

 

 

 

The five finally reached the farm at around quarter to eleven. 

'We haven't been to a farm in a long time, right, hyung?' Junmyeon stretched and raised an eyebrow. 

'Yeah. Last time we went was when I was... fifteen. So you were twelve.'

'We told uncle all about the farm,' Sehun puffed his chest out and patted Jaejoong's hip. 'Don't worry.'

'I wanna see a panda!' Zitao squealed. 

'That's at the zoo, Taozi.'

'But...'

'We'll see pink pigs and black and white cows instead. Okay, Zizi?' Jaejoong smiled at his godson. 'I'll give both of you chocolates if you behave.'

'Yay~!'

 

'Pink pigs, uncle Jae? Like in your phone?'

'You have pictures of pigs in your phone?' Yixing raised an eyebrow. 

 

'Don't judge me, man. I Googled pictures of farm animals for these two. And yes, Hunnie. Like in my phone.'

'Okay.'

Jaejoong held his hands up when Yixing gave him a pointed stare. 

'Oh, come on!'

'Day nine, was it? Yeah. Day nine: Kim Jaejoong likes to Google pictures of farm animals,' Yixing snickered and Jaejoong lightly punched his arm. 

'I cannot believe you're still doing that to me, Dimples.'

'Keep that up, and I won't make Chinese food tonight.'

'Kim-Zhang Yixing is our king. Our Chinese food king,' Jaejoong hummed. 

'Stop up to my husband, hyung, oh, my God,' Junmyeon grimaced, pulling his husband away and frowning at his cousin. 

 

'Uncle Jae, can you lift me up, please?' Zitao tugged at the adult's knee and threw his hands up, letting Junmyeon keep the plushie in their bag. Jaejoong grinned and complied, pecking his godson's cheek and pinching his nose. 

'Apba,' Sehun called out, looking up at Junmyeon who copied Jaejoong's actions. The five of them made their way to a small booth set up nearby which was manned by the head of the barn. Junmyeon spoke to the middle-aged man for a bit and turned to his family. 

 

'Okay, we're good to go!' he gave a thumbs-up, patting down Sehun's wild hair. 

 

 

 

They soon found themselves headed towards a huge red barn. 

'I know this place!' Sehun squealed and clapped, tugging at Junmyeon's hair a little. 

'What is this place, Hunnie?' Jaejoong asked. 

'It is... a house.'

'Whose house, baby?'

'... Cow! And... horse!' he grinned. 

'Very good,' Yixing pecked the child's forehead and clapped. 

 

'Even I wanna clap,' Zitao pouted and Jaejoong sloppily kissed the child's cheek. 

'Go right ahead.'

 

 

 

'Whoa~ apba, look!' Sehun pointed to the chestnut-brown horse nearby. The manager gave the basic information about handling horses monotonously, answering the few questions Yixing politely came up with every now and then. 

'I wanna feed them~'

'Can they?'

The stall manager pulled out a few carrots from a crate nearby and handed one each to the three adults. Sehun grinned and fed a horse with Junmyeon while Yixing fed a mare and petted it gently. 

 

'Don't you want to try, Zitao?'

The toddler shook his head furiously and pressed his face into Jaejoong's neck. Jaejoong his hair and fed the horse, moving away as soon as he was done since Zitao started whimpering. One of the horses neighed loudly and Zitao stiffened in his godfather's arms, his whines getting louder. 

'I'm taking him out since...' Jaejoong whispered to Yixing, who nodded understandingly and pecked Zitao's forehead. 

 

 

 

When the trio finally came out of the barn, they found Zitao playing with Jaejoong's hair. 

'Look, Zizi! Do you know what that is?'

Zitao shook his head, not even bothering to see the tractor Jaejoong was pointing to. 

'I think he's a little moody,' the eldest male chuckled, nuzzling their noses together. Sehun whined and was let down, running to Yixing the moment his feet touched the ground. Zitao looked at Yixing and held his arms out, making grabbing motions with his hands. 

'He tends to do this every once in a while, seeking attention,' Junmyeon shook his head and Yixing cradled his younger son in his arms. 

 

'He does seem pretty attached.'

'It's probably because he was rejected before by many other couples, he sometimes becomes extra clingy and emotional...' Junmyeon whispered. 'But all's well now,' he brightened up. Jaejoong squeezed his shoulder and looked down when Sehun tugged at his knee. 

'Can I sit on your shoulders, Uncle Jae?'

'Sure thing, kiddo,' the eldest laughed. 

 

 

Their next stop was the barn where the cows were kept. Sehun didn't hesitate in showing his immediate disgust at the putrid stench that hit his nostrils. 

'I think I'm gonna puke!' he stuck his tongue out. 

'It's not that bad, you can hardly smell anything,' Yixing pointed out. 

'Somebody's trying to put on a show for someone,' Junmyeon laughed - it was glaringly obvious that Sehun was trying to get Jaejoong's attention. 

'Don't puke on my hair, Hunnie. Or I'll cry.'

'Good,' the five year old grinned triumphantly. 

 

'Cow!' Zitao pointed to one of the cows and announced. 

'Cow,' he repeated, pointing to Jaejoong. Junmyeon laughed and patted Jaejoong's shoulder. 

'I'll let Junsu-hyung know he's got some support,' he chuckled and his elder cousin made a face at him, pretending to flip him off. 

'Not in front of the children!' Yixing reprimanded. 

'Can I feed the cow?' Zitao asked and the stall manager nodded, giving them each a bundle of hay. 

 

'Don't get too close, don't startle them,' he warned and stood aside. Jaejoong pulled Sehun into his arms and the two children fed the cows, sounds of awe occasionally leaving their pink lips. 

 

 

 

 

After their visit to the muddy pen that held the even-muddier pigs, the five of them found themselves seated on a huge bench under a tree. Yixing and Junmyeon were laying their lunch out on the table while Jaejoong was taking care of the children who were staring at the ducks in the pond nearby. 

 

Lunch was peaceful and pleasant, with Zitao babying Jaejoong and feeding him morsels of rice while Yixing fed him. 

 

'Apba, it's so sweaty and sticky and hot,' Sehun pouted, tugging at Junmyeon's sleeve and head-butting his arm. When Zitao finished eating, he grabbed Sehun's arm and dragged him away. 

'We'll keep an eye on them,' Jaejoong reassured Yixing, who smiled his thanks and stalked off to the lake. The Chinese male plopped down and stared at the ducks waddling through the pond, a faint smile on his face. 

 

 

 

Junmyeon and Jaejoong were immersed in their own conversation, an eye peeled to make sure the children were within their lines of sight. Yixing was seated cross-legged by the pond, a hand dipped in the cool water. Zitao snuck up to Yixing and dropped something in his lap, making him scream with surprise when it moved in his lap. 

 

'Apba,' Zitao started, hugging his younger father's arm. 'Piggy!'

The little piglet was squirming in Yixing's lap, trying to climb up his thigh. 

'Where did you get it?! Put it back!! Oh, God, did it bite you?!' Yixing ranted, checking his son for wounds, his heart racing with worry. He gave a sigh of relief when he saw no bite marks on Zitao.

'Where did you find this?'

'It came to me! Apba, please~? Can we have the piggy? I want the piggy!'

'No. Absolutely not.'

'But apba~' the toddler whined. 'It's so cute! Pigg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter