Balloons, Frosting, and Orange Juice

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

'Anneyong, naega Luhan imnida,' a really small boy almost whispered, feeling the pressure of everyone's eyes trained on him. There was something completely different about this boy. He was almost of the same height as his cousin and the three other children around, but the look on his face somehow presented him as a smaller child.

'...'

Jongin jumped off his seat next to his senior and poked the new boy's cheeks slowly.

'Huh.'

'Yah, Jongin. Stop it!' Kyungsoo called out. 'I'm Do Kyungsoo. He is Kim Jongin. I'm the same age as you.'

The doe-eyed boy bowed shyly and fidgeted with the ends of his shirt, which was a bit big on him. 

 

 

 

 

'No, I said no!'

'This is Sehun. Kim-Zhang Sehun,' Baekhyun announced, grinning impishly. 'He likes bows.'

'I LIKE CUTE THINGS, OKAY. CUTE THINGS ARE MY YEHET.'

The flushed child's parents muttered the last sentence under their breaths and all the adults laughed, much to Sehun's disappointment. 

'Why are you laughing?' he sputtered almost quietly. Minseok laughed heartily and bent down, cuddling Sehun.

'Aw, you're so cute, Se-se!'

Minseok's own son stood awkwardly, eyeing his father for attention and secret communication. Sehun broke free and slowly rubbed his palms against Luhan's soft cheeks. Luhan looked at him with wide eyes - he wanted to move away, but his hands conveniently got stuck in the random knot he made with the ends of his (actually Baekhyun's) shirt. Sehun traced Luhan's eyes and gasped when they blinked and opened slowly - Luhan's eyes seemed to sparkle. 

'... you are sitting with me,' Sehun declared and dragged the elder boy by the wrists. Dazed, Luhan pouted his lips and stared at his feet. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun scrutinized his guests, squinting. Jongin and Kyungsoo were playing against Luhan and Sehun in a game of rock-paper-scissors. Sehun had linked arms with Luhan, continually calling the elder his 'lulu' and placing his palm against the other's cheeks. Baekhyun was not pleased. He was getting agitated.

'I want cake,' Jongin declared. The birthday boy jumped up and placed his hands on his hips.

'No.'

'BUT WHY?!' Jongin stood on his chair and screamed, leaning against a frantic Kyungsoo.

'BECAUSE I WANT TO GIVE JUICE.'

As if on cue, Eunji entered carrying a tray of small colourful cups filled with orange juice.

 

'Pink,' Luhan whispered after a few hesitant seconds. Sehun grabbed the pink cup and shyly handed it to Luhan, both hands trembling. Luhan smiled slowly and bowed. Sehun grinned to himself and swirled in his chair, swinging his legs about. He drank from the purple cup, happy at how their cups looked 'cute together'.

 

 

Eunji left the irresistable-looking cake on the small white table and retreated momentarily to the kitchen. Minseok and Junmyeon were immersed in a deep conversa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter