Longing & Love

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Sharon?" Mrs Myoui asks, raising her brows. They all are gathered in the living room of the Myoui's household, as Mina pay her visit in the morning. Besides her is Jeongyeon who, the family members feels grateful for taking care of Mina all these years when she's away. Across them is the newly-married couple that just returns from a long flight, and Sana sitting silently in the corner of the sofa.

 

The appointed question that is thrown at Mina, has her chuckling awkwardly. She nods her head and reluctantly answers, "Yes, I'm sorry. Dad, mom." Indeed, during those periods she's living in Norway, she has changed her name. She was hesitant at first, but the urged to live a different life and start a new drive her to concludes that changing her name was the most natural things to do. Her colleagues and seniors in Norway addressed her with Sharon and only a few counted people called her by her birth name. Still, even if she has a newly chosen name, she's the same person she always been and she would never abandon the memory herself as Mina. It will still vividly stored inside her.

 

On the other side, the Myoui is not quite sure why, or even understand her reason, yet they don't want to argue or drag the topic since it was Mina's decision and they assumed she knows what she is doing. There is no need for their interference. "It's okay. You don't have to feel sorry sweety. I like the new name" Mr Myoui assured, as he is still trying to familiarise with the sudden changes. Mina or rather, Sharon doesn't worry about her father's reaction or expected any negative opinion because she knows Mr Myoui is the calmest, coolest, and seemingly most collected dads out there. Contradicted to her mother who enforces rules in the household since they were children together with consistent disciplinary action. Rules in safety, manners, interacting with others, house routines, going out, dating, education. Mrs Myoui had firmly stated it back in the years.

 

"Mom?" Mina hesitantly calls, nervously glancing at her mother who is staring at her new identity card. "You are not mad right"

 

Mrs Myoui playfully glares at her before she scoffs "Your dad will hate me if I punish her beloved little girl." The remark caused them to break into laughter, while the husband nod, agreeing. Mrs Myoui hums and diverts her attention to the newly-married couple, "Then, I'll be happy if my granddaughter uses the name 'Mina' instead" She winks. Momo knows that every single pair of are looking at her---all eagerly waiting for a reaction, a response, while keeping a smirk. She suddenly feels awkward as she attempted to hide her rosy cheeks by leaning against Dahyun's arms. The latter, instead of defending his wife decides to join his in-laws, commenting on how Momo's face is flaming orange---which earns him a light pinch on the side of his stomach. Their meeting and family reunion are filled with jokes and random topic.








 

*  *  *  *

On the south side of the main hall, and directly facing the main entrance, is the infants' nursery, with its extensive glass front. Mina watches from a distance and through the glass, all the beautiful newborns. Interns are required to rotate between different departments so they can be exposed to different medical specialities. She had her rotating internship in internal medicine, surgery, paediatric, ophthalmology, and successfully avoids OB/GYN back in Norway. But she knows, want it or not, she can't forever run from it. Therefore, here she is, working in the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department.


 

The loss that she has experienced will never leave her. Couple that with feeling as if her body failed her and feeling at fault, it really has resulted in a life-changing level of trauma. That's why she tried to avoid this specific department. She couldn't even see a baby without any sense of high security, guilt, happiness and grief all in once. Her eyes roam the place until it landed on a small white panel that wrote Lily Claire. She tilts her head to take a better look and sees the prettiest little girl in the nursery. The baby has her eyes shut with her fingers in chomping away. Her body is still wrinkled and pale. Mina smiles, her soft lips stretched upwards but doesn't quite reach her dark empty eyes. Although her own child is not with her, in her head, she is already a mother.

 

The buzzing sound of her phone vibrating in her pocket breaks the silence. She reaches for it and answers the call before jogging back to the ER. She does her routine laboratory tests, draw a blood sample and get urine and stool specimens which she will examine later. Mina walks over her assigned patients and writes up her finding, entering all the pertinent information in each patient's chart. As she fills the records on the foot of the bed, she glimpses to the gynaecologist next to her who is currently examining a patient. Mina averts her gaze back to her writing but manages to catch their conversation.

 

The glassy door to the OB/GYN Emergency Room is suddenly slid open, revealing few paramedics wheeling a pregnant woman. Behind the speaker, is a voice informing the arrival of the road accidents patient who is now bleeding profusely. A commotion of medical experts rushed to her, including the gynaecologist next to Mina. The latter could hear the emergency staff yelling instruction behind the curtains. She continues writing until she is done then walks to the woman on the next bed---who was earlier attended by the gynaecologist that Mina assumed are called Dr Hyun by looking at her name tag.

 

"Where does it hurt?" Mina ask.

 

The woman is breathing heavily as tears pricking her eyes. Her fringe stick to the perspiration on her face. She turns to the intern and heaves, "The upper part of my stomach"

 

Mina nods and lifts the patient's shirt, before she presses a specific area on her abdomen "Does it hurt?" She questions, holding it there. The woman wince from the action then softly answers, "It's bearable" Mina pulls her hand causing the patient to suddenly gasp. She furrowed her brows and continued, "How does it hurt?"

 

"It feels like my whole stomach is echoing"

 

Mina's eyes widen. In the grip of silent panic, she quickly takes off the stethoscope around her neck and put it on the woman's stomach."Have you ever undergo surgery? Was it spontaneous labour for your first baby?" She calls a nurse to attach the fetal heart rate on the patient for accurate monitoring.

 

"No, I had to have a myomectomy (a surgical procedure to remove uterine fibroids) and C-section"

 

Mina read the data on the graph and turns to the gynaecologist, "We'll need to perform an emergency C-section." She states. The mentioned physician arc her brows, before she peeks to the patient Mina is pertaining to. She sighs and put her hands on her hips "Do you know what are you doing?" Dr Hyun challenges.

 

"This patient is more urgent"

 

"She bumped herself on the edge of a table while this is the victim of a car pileup who has a l haemorrhage. Don't you know who is more important, intern"

 

"Let this patient go first," Mina repeats. She points to the car accident's patient and noted her observation. "Despite the bleeding and her fracture, her fetus is in better condition." Neither of them wanted to back off, leaving the nurses and other residents in conflict. The air thickens as the staff awkwardly glances at each other, before Dr Hyun steps forwards. Eyes narrowed and cold. "You need to learn how to prioritize, and know your place." She utters in between clenched jaw then turns to the staff, "What are you doing? Hurry up and move the patient"

 

Mina watches as their back disappears to the surgery room. She hangs her head and slumps to the bedside chair. She might be just an intern but she is certain that her patient's fetus is in critical condition and needs immediate surgical intervention. She thinks there is a tear in the uterus resulting from pressure. Possibly because she bumped into the edge of a table, as the patient said. The uterus can rupture throughout some or all of its layers, compromising the fetus’ oxygen supply and causing severe bleeding in the mother. Based on the woman's medical histories, Mina suspects a Uterine Rupture and they must act quickly to pull the baby out as soon as possible. If the baby isn't delivered within 10 to 40 minutes, it will die from lack of oxygen.

Please log in to read the full chapter