Bleak Mist

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Tzuyu is inside a room-----an interrogation room. There's a big mirror at one end of the room. It's a mirror that shows a reflection to any person on the inside looking out, but it's a window to anyone who is in the adjoining room looking in. Jihyo clicks her pen as she watches Tzuyu through the window, being investigated by the prosecutor. The room is bugged so they can hear what they are talking about. The prosecutor leaves the room, slamming the door behind as he rakes his fingers through his hair.

 


Jihyo gathers her files, walks past the prosecutor who glares at her. She ignores him and enters the interrogation room. She pulls the chair across from him. The loud scraping sound sliding against the floor echoed through the room. She puts her hand under the table and unplugs the mic, disabling the outsiders to hear their conversation. She glances to the one-side mirror and continues flipping through the files. She crosses her arms, "I won't ask questions, Tzuyu. You just have to tell me everything that happened that night in full honesty. As your lawyer, I need to know the truth for me to do my job. So, tell me everything" 

 


"The witness's statement is right. I went to her house in the afternoon and we had a disagreement. I strangled her and for a split second, I wanted to kill her. But I didn't. The wound on my fist, I had it after punching a mirror in her house then left. I received a message from her around midnight asking me to come to her house urgently. I went to her house, but when I arrived, she told me through the intercom to go back for now and we'd discuss the matter tomorrow. I was pissed since she asked me to come over then ordered me to go home. So, I didn't think much about it and immediately leave the place" 

 

 

"Why did you have a disagreement with the victim? What were you two arguing about?"

 

 

Tzuyu remains silent but he is not really silent; he is expressing his anger through silence. Sometimes a man is silent in his sadness. He is silent, but he is still saying something. Every fiber of his body shouts grief and frustration. Jihyo can see through him perfectly. She knows there are words that he swallows, things that he keeps hidden. She sighs, there is definitely more, "Tzuyu, you have to tell me, so I can help you"

 

 

He bows his head. Making a statement about the Miracle World Organization now is suicidal. It does not only strengthen his motive but also exposing his identity and affect his trial. "I'm sorry" He mumbles. 

 

 

Jihyo nods slowly and closes her files. She can't force him, she doesn't have to. He will open his mouth when he learns how serious this situation is. When he finally goes inside the courtroom, settles on the defendant's seat, listening to all of the evidence then waits for the verdict. She plugs the mic back, "All right, the interrogation must be hard for you. Take some rest for now, we'll talk about it tomorrow. I want you to know, typically a convicted murder suspect is given a life sentence or even the death penalty for manslaughter. If you still want to see your family, please cooperate. Sana, she was begging me to help you and in order to do that, you have to tell me everything."

 

 

Jihyo jots down something on her notebook, fixes her blazer and stands, "Before that, I want to make sure. Do you accept the charges framed on you or will you defend yourself by refuting it? Do you want to plead not guilty?"

 

 

"Yes"

 

 

Jihyo smiles, seeing the determination and eagerness on his face. She extends her hand to shake his and leaves the room. Stopping on a large coffee machine, she inserts several coins and presses instant expresso. The machine is a simple automated coffee machine installed in the hallway. While waiting, her eyes catch a familiar man walking towards her. She immediately recognizes him. 

 

 

"Attorney Park, can I talk with your client?" He asks, grinning. 

 

 

Jihyo tilts her head. She's only working on one case at the moment. "My client? May I ask why?" As far as she knows, he already handling multiple criminal cases at once. 

 

 

"I just want to check up on him. Mina asks for a favour and I already promised her. I feel restless if I don't visit Tzuyu and make sure he's okay." 

 

 

Jihyo nods and takes her cup. She doesn't have anything to be suspicious about him. He's excellent in court. A very nice and considerate person with fair judgment. Until now, he holds the records of zero losing cases. She takes a sip of her coffee and points to the far left door, "He's in there. Take your time" She smiles and walks away. He reciprocates the gestures and stares ahead. Blankness sweeps over his face, the curve on his lips fades into a formless thin line. He clicks his tongue, dragging his fingers along the wall. He first makes a stop at the room adjoining the investigation room and makes sure to turn off all systems; the microphone, video recording equipment, and the CCTV. 

 

 

Tzuyu lifts his head when he heard the creaking sounds of the door opening and close with a thud. It's him, as he expected. He narrows his eyes and fixes his posture, sitting straight up, leaning into his desk. He has been waiting for him. The man flops on the chair across him and stares at him, his lips bared in a toothy but empty smile that speaks of all the things he knows but will never tell. And as Tzuyu watches, he thought he sees a hidden warning, even a hint of madness in those eyes. Tzuyu returns the same intensity, "Hwang Aera. Was it you? Jeongye----no, should I call you Wan'Ya instead?" 

 

 

Seemingly intrigued, Jeongyeon has risen perturbed from his seat. He leans forward with a look of eager attention, his lips parted. He is impatient to hear more. H

Please log in to read the full chapter