Hidden

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mina stays rooted to the spot, the breeze moving her hair softly away from the cheekbones that has become so much more prominent over the previous days. She stands across the street, staring at the abandoned empty house. She crosses the road and looks at the lock on the gate. Mina let her hand touch the ambient metal, no longer hot from the day nor cold from the soothing effect of the evening air. She gives it a little push and remarkably, the lock falls down.
 

 

She quietly enters and walks through the front yard. The doorway opens to the house and entering it feels the same as coming home after a long absence. Indeed it has been years since she leaves the house. The house where she and Chaeyoung once lived together. Nothing change from the interior to the furniture. It's covered by a white sheet but clean without dust. She walks around the house, recalling every bit of memories they once shared. Stopping on the second floor, she's hesitant to enter her supposedly baby designated room but finally decides to walks in.
 

 

Mina smiles as she tenderly rubs her fingers over the crib rail. The mobile attaches across the top of the crib, with toys hanging down makes her smile wider. She wound the centre and Brahms' "Lullaby" plays sweetly. The mobile with a built-in music box soothes her. She sits on a small chair, sighing as she looks around the place. A colourful book on top of the table catches her attention. She picks it up, examining the front page. She has never seen it. As she opens the first page, her eyes bore at the ultrasound pictures of her baby. That was her baby.
 

 

Her eyes immediately dwell with tears. She softly trails her fingers over the surface, caressing her daughter. The more she flips the pages, sharp stab of regret wound her deeper. Chaeyoung's writing fills the books. His thoughts, his feelings expressed. Their memories. They had pictured a beautiful family together, just how and why did they end up like this?  Mina clenches the book tight to her heart, engulfing it in an embrace. Her cries subsided into deep sobs and at last, with tear-stained cheeks and red eyes, she cries herself to sleep.
 

 

Birds chattered in the trees. The wind blows through the window, occasionally ruffling her hair. The soft breeze wakes her up. Mina flutters her eyes opens, and stays rigid, gazing through the window into the wide blue sky. Her eyes sore, her limbs feel weak, and she's tired. So damn tired. She shifts a little and a coat covering her slips slightly. Her brows furrow as she takes the brown coat off her. It isn't hers for sure. She doesn't wear any. Examining it closer, a familiar scent engulfs the coat. Her eyes widen as she quickly turns to the window and looks down into the front yard. There's a single black car parked on the side road.

 

 

Mina takes the coat with her and runs down the stairs. She opens the front door and sees him. It's him with another man pushing his wheelchair through the stone path. Mina halts and stops at her steps, 
 

 

"Chaeyoung" she breathes out.

 


 

*   *   *   *

The front yard that was once filled with party of colours are now put on a pale and sickly look, strewed the ground with crumpled brown leaves. There stands a withered tree. He looks at its old branches. And he thought his heart could never be as cheerless and cold as the withered tree. The wind sweeps past like a mighty sigh. For a moment, there is only silence, and the soft breeze. The wind ruffles his hair in crisp little curls around the forehead while her dress dance through it.
 

 

"Can I ask something?" Mina voices out, breaking the silence. Her eyes stay gazing towards the sky. Chaeyoung remains motionless and quiet. She takes it as a 'yes' and proceeds to ask, "Why, why did you cheat on me?" She waits for an answer but there is none, only him looking up at her with puzzlement. Mina adds, "I saw it, pictures of you and her in States four years ago." She feels his eyes are upon her, watching every motion and grow more and more confused in her expression and behaviour and perhaps her words.
 

 

Chaeyoung could only stare at her, his brain suddenly stops processing what she has just said. He blinks, trying to digest the realization that there seems to be a misunderstanding between them. He covers his face with his hands, letting them slide down in disbelief.
 

 

"I didn't cheat on you. You should know that better. Whatever pictures or nonsense you are spurting, it honestly doesn't bother me now. Rather, I'm wondering why you didn't issue this four years ago. You could've called me, talked to me. If those pictures make you doubt me, if those useless pictures disturb you, why weren't you seeking validation? given me a chance to correct any misunderstanding between us, Why didn't you do it when we actually had hoped?"
 

 

"I'm afraid" Mind whispers, bowing her head.
 

 

Chaeyoung groans and turns the wheels, facing her, eyes glares, "What are you so afraid of?"
 

 

"The truth"
 

 

Chaeyoung snickered, "The truth is I impregnated my friend under the influence of drugs. A friend whom I treasured and love more than anything. Every single day I felt guilty, every single breath was difficult to take. It was all my fault, if only I could turn back time, if only I didn't drink and if only I stayed home. I regret all of my decision. I'm ashamed of myself. I hated myself. Although I knew I had no right to stay beside her, I did my best. I tried so hard, so hard yet I was never enough. It was never enough."
 

 

"That is not the truth!" Mina raises her voice, her fist clenched, "It's your side of story, and I have mine too. It wasn't easy for me too"
 

 

He eyed her with a long, cold stare; 
beginning to realise the actuality of her presence, found the hatred of her which he had planted himself, forcing it to fills his heart, consuming the guilt, pity and love. "I don't wish to know" he snaps. Mina's eyes are wide open and their glassy stare added not a little to the apparent terror and
suffering of her face. The sudden rings interrupt. Chaeyoung phone buzz in his pocket. He takes it out, breaking their shared gaze, "It's Irene" He reads and swipe to answer the call, cutting off their conversation, "Yes, Rene-ah?"
 

 

[Am I talking to Bae Joo-Hyun's guardian?]
 

 

Chaeyoung furrows, "Yes I am, who's calling?"
 

 

[This is Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Bae Joo-Hyun has been admitted to the Emergency Ward due to Hyperpyrexia, a very high fever.]

 

 

Chaeyoung goes stiff, he gnaws the inside of his cheek while rubbing his hand. Anxious and worry take over him. "Is she alright? When did she got admitted? What happened?"
 

 

[The patient is still unconscious but rests assured, she's in stable condition. She was admitted last night. We were informed that the patient is a contestant in an international program. I believe the supervisor has contacted you.]
 

 

Chaeyoung immediately scans through his phone logs and sure h

Please log in to read the full chapter