Come To You

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: This chapter is divided into two part since it is lengthy. Part I and Part II, you can take a break in between.

__________________________________

| Part I |

 

Today 8 a.m. at the Royal Theatre, all the Viann Symphony Orchestra's members sit in the audience seats as today would be the day that potential applicants would audition for vacant positions in the ensemble. All of the first chairs in every section stands as the judges including Dahyun himself who is what they called the 'Orchestra's Loners' for piano, organ and harp player. Unlike many pianists who enjoy the solo recitals and the many long hours of solitary practice, Dahyun enjoys making music with fellow musicians, be that in the form of chamber music or accompanying, orchestral work. Hence, he joined the orchestra. As a principal pianist, he also plays the violin and the celeste, a percussion instrument that looks like a small upright piano and has a bell-like tone. Though he doesn't play them as often as piano.

 

The audition begins and he silently watched because they aren't any keyboard player participating hence, he focused on the percussion and stringed instrument. There are less than twenty applicants, each one has their chance to perform a complete music piece that they'd prepared then one random piece that is given by the judges. So far, he hasn't raised his approval card, none of them seems to reach his level of standard. Until the last applicant walks to the stage, bringing a cello with her.

 

He straightens his back and leans forward. Of course, he recognized her. It's the girl from yesterday. He reaches out and takes the file in front of him, containing the girl's profile. "She's from Canada?" He mumbled. Jisu was also from Canada. His thoughts interrupted when the girl started playing. Her left-hand fingers dancing at the top, while her right hand moved back and forth; both working together to create a sound that paralleled even the sweetest angel's voice.

 

Their eyes locked for a mere two seconds before they both avert their gaze, almost at the same time. She looks too much like her, they resemble too much that it hurts. Dahyun heaves a deep sigh and clutches his chest, "You are not supposed to feel this Hyun" He scolds himself as the longing is too deep. Apparently, the girl is one of the applicants that got selected. Dahyun braces himself to face her day by day. 





 

*  *  *  *

"Oh, Miss Irene, there is a letter for you" Mr Kang, the head butler says as he just goes to the mailbox to retrieve the mails and newspaper for today. Irene who is descending the stairs---planning to wake Chaeyoung up---tilts her head in wonders. She has no one to actually send her a written letter. She thank the butler and opens the envelope. The contain however only left her in dilemma.

 

She anxiously walks back and forth in front of Chaeyoung's bedroom, debating whether she will tell him or not. She knows this will lead to serious conversation, worse argument.

 

Irene practically had finished culinary school but she has a feeling the Head Chef Programme she'd been offered over a year ago in Los Angeles, is no longer possible. It was around that time where Chaeyoung developed Autonomic dysreflexia and It was potentially dangerous leading to a medical emergency. Not only that, she also couldn't leave her family behind. Without second thoughts, she refused the offer and mainly focused on Chaeyoung's recovery. She doesn't regret her decision back then, the only thing she wants to change is to trash the offer letter before Chaeyoung found it. Because when he did, accidentally stumble upon the letter, they broke into their first arguments. He was furious that Irene declined it just for him while Irene defended herself with reason that there will be another chance and his health was her priority.

 

Now, she has another offer letter just arrives in their mailbox this morning and her email. She doesn't know what to do. She knows what she wants, to stay here with Chaeyoung and decline the offer but she also knows that Chaeyoung won't allow that. Indeed it's her dream to join and complete the program then open her own restaurant, but her focus now is on the sick guy. Unless he is totally recovered, she doesn't want to leave his side.

 

"Rene-ah?"

 

Hearing his voice, she flinches a little and turns around. The door is slightly ajar and Chaeyoung is there in his wheelchair, staring at her. "O-oh Y-youngie" She stutters, immediately hiding the letter behind her.

 

"Are you alright?" Chaeyoung asks worriedly as he pushes his wheelchair's joystick towards her and softly holds her hands. Irene bobs her head and smiles assuringly to ease his concern. She guides them inside the bedroom and she settles on the edge of the bed while Chaeyoung is across her. Irene shifts uncomfortably, thinking of how she will approach this matter. Worrying about their future conversation if she managed to tell him. She hangs her head down, fidgeting with her fingers.

 

"Do you wish to tell me something?" Chaeyoung starts, wheeling nearer as again he holds both her hands and brushes the back of her palm with his thumb, and act calm the girl. Though, he might have a slight idea of what it is about as he notices the mail she laid on the bed beside her. Yet, he doesn't want to directly ask rather wait for her to tell him herself.

 

Irene feels her muscles relaxed under his touch and silently sighs, "I-I've received a letter from LA. They are offering me to enter the Head Chef Programme." She lifts her head, meeting his eyes as she grips his hands tightly "And please, I don't want to go Youngie" She pleads, trying to persuade him.

 

Chaeyoung hums, knowing exactly where this conversation is going "Why? Are you tired of that industry? Or are you giving up on your dream?" He asks. Irene slowly shakes her head, avoiding his gaze. "Then you should go"

 

"Youngie, I---"

 

"Irene, you have done a lot for me" He interjected with a firm voice. Chaeyoung realizes he might sound demanding rather than convincing. He just doesn't want to be a barrier for her to persuade her career. She has done so much and sacrificed so much for him. He doesn't want to hold her back anymore. Chaeyoung gnaws the inside of his cheeks then smiles genuinely, "I'm independent enough now, I'll be okay on my own. And not to mention, I have Lil' with me. For your mother, I'll visit her more frequently. Please, I want you to put yourself before others" He soft-spoken.

 

Irene opens as she's ready to argue but the look he gives her manages to silent herself. His eyes used to be like an extinguished candle, melted into ever-growing darkness of misery and despair, but recently she starts to see his eyes flickering with the fire of spirit. And it lightens brighter and brighter each day. Now, by his expression, Chaeyoung wouldn't back off easily even if she pushes this matter, they'll only break into another heated argument which she hates the most. Although, she fully understand Chaeyoung's point, the idea of leaving him and separated miles away from him, drains her. She hopes to always stare at those lit eyes and dimpled cheeks. She has watched him bring so much happiness to those around him. Feel the warmth he has given to her. To be away from all of those only brings her nothing but sadness and longing. 

 

During four years of living together, they have never been apart. She had watched him try so hard to do so well. He worked hard. He fought for every step; even if it wasn’t always in the right direction. He wants to fly, live his life and now his wings rustle open. She's afraid. She's so afraid he'll crash. And she isn't there when it happens. That she isn't there when he needs her the most. She couldn't just leave the place with strong love, a warm heart where their memories grow. Out of the complete silence, her muffled sobs faintly arise. The vision she has, begins to swim in front of her as tears trickle from deep inside and course down her cheeks. Chaeyoung feels the sudden drop of guilt in him as he notices the salty beads trickles down her face. He lightly pulls his pinky towards him, gesturing her to sits on his lap.

 

Irene immediately flings herself into his embrace with a strangles sobs. She buries her face into the crook of his neck and tightens the hug, "I don't want to be away from you" She cracks.

 

Chaeyoung welcome her and wraps his arms around her waist. His arms clench tighter and he pulls her into his chest, gently her long hazel-nut hair. He listens to her vulnerable voice, uttering her concerns. "I know, but I'll be one of the happiest person in the world if you achieve your dream. Make me happy please" He whisper, resting his chin on her shoulder. Another sob wracks her, follows by a thin wail.

 

She'll depart to L.A next week. In the remaining days she has here, she visits her mother in the morning then returns to spends the rest of the day----almost every second with him and Lil'. At night, after sending Lil' to sleep, she stays with Chaeyoung. She sleeps with him. She cuddles him. She stares wordlessly at his feature. She shares midnight talk. She says he is terribly, terribly thin and small and that she must revive him. She is surprised to realize it just now and says she could carry him in one arm. That earns a never-ending laugh from the Cub. Apparently, he isn't that thin than how she describes but Irene just being overdramatic like a mother would be. Hence, she set a goal to make him gain some pounds before she leaves. Chaeyoung doesn't mind the nags he receives as she orders him to finish his meal which is two times than usual, he even obediently obliges. He only chuckles as he listens to her nagging, knowing that in the future he will hear her voice every day.

 

After all, she is the woman he wants to settle down with.

 

And to make that reality, Chaeyoung also has been working into something secretly behind her back. He has it in mind since a few months ago, but keep waiting for the right moment while thinking of the plan. It seems that now is the perfect time, hence he rush everything and prepares. He has been searching for some ideas on the internet, experimenting, and thoughts which will fit the best. He reaches out for his brothers specially Dahyun for some bits of advice. They of course, support and encourages him but the advises though isn't that helpful because Dahyun keeps playing around, teasing and tell him not to get nervous. Easier said than done, he thought.

 

They share the last morning together before her flight in the evening. Chaeyoung wakes up before Irene, though he isn't asleep at all due to the physical pain in his chest and bone aches. He doesn't want to disturb Irene and make her worry, she might change her decision to leave. Hence, he bears with it through the night. Thank God, the pain gradually decreases over time. A sigh of relief escaped his lips.

 

He's lying on his backs and his arms are down close, a few pillows support his upper body. He breathes in deeply, contentment coursing through his body and then slowly turns his head to the side. She is hugging her sideways, hand resting against his chest, while the other intertwined with his fingers. Very gently, hoping not to wake her up, he leans down a little and manages to land a soft peck on her eyebrow. She stirs slightly, but then nestles against him and quite again. Chaeyoung smiles and closes his eyes. He wouldn't fall asleep again, but he wants to savour this moment. After a few minutes, he glances to the clock that hangs on the wall, showing 2:45 a.m. As much as he doesn't want to end her peaceful sleep, he has to, for his small plan to execute successfully.

 

He squeezes her hand while softly calling her. It doesn't take him a long time for Irene to flutters her eyes open and greets him. "Let's watch the sunrise?" He suggests, earning excited nods from the latter. They prepare quickly, then wait for the black Audi. The car ride to their destination is pretty dismal and quiet, mainly because it's still too early and the girl is already fall back to sleep as soon as they seated. She wants to know where exactly are they going but drifts to dreamland before she could ask. Seeing the girl in deep slumber, Chaeyoung calls for Hahn that sits in front before the driver, and ask for his painkillers.

 

"Shouldn't you tell Miss Irene?" Hahn utters, taking out a pack of medicine from his backpack.

 

"Later. Later after she's already accomplished what she wants in life. I don't want to be another bump that stopping her." Chaeyoung mumbles but loud enough for Hahn to hear. The car slows down and parks at the side road as Hahn goes to the back seat and help him to consume the medicine, all the while hoping Irene won't awake. After they settle down, Chaeyoung relaxes and shut his eyes since the trip takes two hours. He lays his head on top of her head, who is side hugging him.

 

"Youngie, where are we?" Irene yawn as he just tickles her palm and his skin's warmth brings a burst of heat with it. She smiles seeing her dimpled cheeks before he pouts his lips towards the window. Irene follows his gaze and gasp. "Beach!" She jogs out of the car then but runs back, almost forgetting Chaeyoung due to her excitement. She has never been into the beach here, the only one she had been was in Jeju where Chaeyoung brought her and she discovered that day that beach is one of her favourite places.

 

Chaeyoung only chuckles to the sight of her amusement expression as he wheels nearer to the seashore with her beside him. The wind whips around them and carries the unmistakable aroma of salt. But, they enjoy it. The faint taste of salt on the breeze that was complimented by the ambrosial aroma of the flowers and pine tree around them. Hahn walks to Irene and give her blankets, then dismiss himself. She thanks him and place one on Chaeyoung's lap and one around his shoulder, while another on her own.

 

It's already 5:00 a.m The dawn has come. The sky has softened to a blue and the clouds are blushes like a ripe mango. The air is delicate and cool to kiss their skin with moisture. Outlines of the rocks are becoming clearer and even the leaves on the pine trees are looking more green than grey. Chaeyoung call for Irene---who is mesmerized by the beautiful big ocean's waves---and motions her to sit on his lap. Chaeyoung hugs her from the back as they face the front, waiting for the sun to

Please log in to read the full chapter