Blue Marble

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

The spring air is sweet and cool, yet in the sun it is delightfully warm. The house is filled with pleasant aromas: the floor has just been polished, the windows are hung with freshly laundered and starched lace curtains. The newlywed couple decided to clean their apartment first thing first in the morning, however it takes longer than they thought because of Momo's clumsiness. It's fun and exciting for the girl but exhausting for the husband. Both have taken leaves from their job today and as promised, Dahyun brings her wife on a date after so long.

 

After lunch, Dahyun brings her to the nearby park. He asks Momo to wait for him on the swing while he goes to but something. She plays with her phone as she waits and exactly at two o'clock, fifteen minutes after, Momo heard the clatter of metal roller skates on the waffled concrete tiles of the pathway. There he is, her husband, ain't that tall but well-built, with a very fair complexion and a bright red hair. He pulls her to the closest bench and gestures her to sit while he kneels one knee across her. Dahyun takes out a shoebox from the bag he's holding and dug out a light blue roller skate that matches his.

 

"I don't know how to skate," Momo says worriedly as she looks down to him, tying the shoelace. Dahyun meets her gaze and smiles assuringly as he helps her to put on the helmet, knee pads and wrist guards. Knowing she's a beginner, her hands and knees are bound to hit the floor a few times as she learns how to roller skate. And he is concerned about her getting a bit scraped up.

 

"You have the safeguards and you have me." Dahyun exclaims confidently, stands up and extends his hands. Momo chuckles and they skated out of the pathway, holding hands. Dahyun being the lead,  guide his wife while Momo awkwardly crouches down as he pulls her hands and they moves together. On their way, they indulge in casual conversation as they enjoy the refreshing light breeze and beautiful day. Laughing to Momo's expression of panic whenever he let go of his grip, apologise when Momo sulked, grinning when he successfully make her happy once more by buying her snacks.

 

"Wanna play a game?" Dahyun suggests as they take a rest inside a little mushroom-shaped hut. Eating hamburger buns and melon pan with cokes.

 

"What game?" Momo asks, taking a bite of her third buns.

 

"It's called 'Never have I ever'. We both hold ten fingers and the first player announces something they've never done. It's best if the player thinks it's likely something other players have done. Then you put one finger down if you've done what the first player said. The last person who has fingers up wins the game"

 

Momo blinks and tilts her head. She understands nothing. Dahyun chuckles and explains it thoroughly and simpler. Finally, the girl hums indicating she get the rules."Okay, I'll start first. Never..." Dahyun trails off thinking of the possible thing Momo have done before that he hadn't. He smiles as his gaze falls upon the crumbs scattering on the table. He cleans it with a tissue before continuing "..Have I ever eaten food that fell on the floor"

 

Momo presses her lips in embarrassment as she put down her thumb. She stops munching and smirks, "Never have I ever use tan spray to look hot" She recalls their high school days when Dahyun uses tan spray for summer vacation but ends up looking like an over baked tofu. "Hahaha gotcha and I oop--"

 

Dahyun bites his lips and nods, admitting his defeat. He hums before sending the final blow, "Never have I ever failed class"

 

Momo giggles and brings down all her fingers causing them to burst into laughter. "For every class" Dahyun tease, clutching his stomach. Tears gather in the corners of his eyes, threatening to spill over. They play another round fills with mocking jokes and unstoppable laughter as they rewind their memory tape from their childhood.

 

They spend the rest of the evening in a night garden as the sun slowly set against the horizon allowing the full moon rise. They stroll around the place, hands intertwined. It's a breathtaking view. There is a circular lawn with stone path around it and in the centre stands a single huge bonsai tree, lightened by fluorescent light. The flowers glowed in different colours. Dahyun smiles and glance to his wife, who has her eyes sparkling in delight. The sudden buzz inside his pocket interrupts their moment. He digs his phone out and read the messages, it's from his fellow orchestra members.

 

[Have you seen Lia? The junior cellist. She's supposed to meet their principal for practice today and final rehearsal]

 

Dahyun unconsciously halts and stares into space. He only snaps out of it when Momo calls his name. He blinks and turns off the phone, trying to ignore his panic and concern. However, its almost near to impossible when bad thoughts loop around in his mind. He sighs heavily and turns to Momo "Darling, I'm sorry but something comes up and I have to go. Just for an hour. It's nothing important actually, I just need to check on something. I'll be back after 3600 seconds. Not that long right?" He grins nervously.

 

"Oka--" Before Momo could finish her words, he already hurried away and disappears from her sight. She wonders what might bother him, maybe there is something wrong in the workplace. Bored and lonely, she walks to the nearest bench and sits, counting. "1...2...3...20" Momo hit her head lightly and scolds herself. No cheating momoring. She thought, eager to meet him again. It hasn't been a few minutes but she already misses his presence.

 

Dahyun goes through Lia's information profile and finds her address. Wasting no time, he dashes to the apartment building and looks for her house number. He pushes the bell continuously yet there is no answer which only increases the tension. He stares at the keypad and swallows thickly. Wondering if it is possible. He presses a familiar number combination, and the door instantly unlocked. Dahyun sighs, all of this coincidence and similarity brings him to endless confusion and doubt. It's Jisu's birthday date. The first woman he fell for and the woman who had left him with deepest scars and regrets.

 

He enters and roams his eyes around. The apartment's interiors are simple and clean. It's painted in soft colours of pink and pure white. A single chandelier hangs beautifully in the living room with few musical notes on the wall. He calls her number again for the countless time and heard the receiver's phone ringing. He follows the sounds and ends up, standing in front of a door which he guesses is the washroom. Hesitantly, he pushes the door opens and froze as he witnesses the person he is looking for, lying unconscious on the floor. The great pounding, the great pressure; every beat of his heart is so loud making him turns deaf. He stumbles to the doorframe as his eyes drip with tears. The same place, the same feelings. He couldn't endure another grief. His minds tangled.

 

"J-jisu ah, wake up. Please don't leave me. Don't leave me" He begs, scooping the girl's limp body into his tight embrace. He quickly grabs her by the arms and carries her to his car, rushing to the nearest clinic. The nurse put her on the bed, checks her blood glucose, and the doctor explains her having a moderate allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis causing her blood pressure to drop. Dahyun cup the girl's left hand, staring at her pale face, lips cracked, eyes closed, slow breathing. He feels as if he's living the same day again. Gazing painfully to his lover, who laid on the hospital bed with coloured wire attached to her body, fighting to live just another day.

 

Dahyun opens his eyes slowly, realizing he has fallen asleep, head resting on the edge of the bed as he sits in the chair. The girl is still faithfully unmoved. He turns to the clock wall and gasp, it's almost midnight, almost five hours have passed. His mind drifts to Momo causing him to feel the sudden rush of guilt. He looks for his phone but unfortunately, it's dead. Not wanting to hurt his wife, which is useless at this moment as he thought Momo must be really upset and have gotten home without him. He gives a last glance to the unconscious patient and leaves to his house. He is expecting Momo to lecture and bombards him with questions, yet no one greets him. The house is quiet and still, the lights are off, no signs of anyone.

 

"It can't be" Dahyun murmurs in disbelief before he races to the Night garden. He bolts down the garden path, eyes roaming everywhere. There is not a single visitor left. His red coloured locks whipped back and forth behind him as salty beads roll down his forehead. His legs are slower when he catches a figure, hugging herself as a shield from the chill wind and counting.

 

Their eyes meet and Momo smiles guiltily. "Hyunnie, I'm sorry. I lost count"

 

Dahyun reciprocates the gesture, but it's a smile fills with an unvoiced apology. He walks nearer and wraps her with his jacket,"You shouldn't wait for me and go home. What if I don't return, are you going to wait here forever?"

 

"Not forever, because I know you'll come back to me"








 

*  *  *  *
 

Mina pauses on her track, smiling as he stares at him from far away. Springs, his favourite seasons. Chaeyoung wheels around the backyard, his eyes wandering from bush to bush, tree to tree, flowers beds to the others. He sighs, inhaling the cool spring air, the fresh scent of flowers passing through his pale lips and into his lungs. It'd dizzying in its intensity, nature's sweet perfume. He lifts his hands that hold a compact digital camera which is one of the lightest, and takes a few snaps of the view.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter