Fabrication

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"The victim had major injuries on the limbs indicating restraint, circular marks around the wrists and ankles, when the victim was tied up. Bleeding from nostrils and mouth indicates the sign of strangulation. A total of 89 stab wounds on the forehead, in both temples, the anterior aspect of the neck, the chest, stomach and the sides of the trunk were found. Two ribs were severed in the bony part, one of which carried a star-like pattern from repeated stabbing. The toxicological analysis of viscera and body fluid ruled out the presence of poison and drugs in this case. The cause of death was exsanguination (bleeding to death) after a considerable survival time. Forensics Department concludes it as homicide."

 

 

The man closes the file and tosses it across the table. Taking off his black robe, he hooks it on the standing clothes tack. He looks up at his persistent junior. They have been debating and arguing for hours yet the woman standing across from him refuses to give in. He sighs, "The murder weapon was found in his residence, his fingerprints were detected in the crime scene, the surveillance camera caught him visiting the victim the same day her body was found, witnesses claimed they had a heated argument, There is clear motive, clear evidence."

 

 

She steps forwards, "The autopsy also stated that the victim died 21 hours (11:00 the next day) before her body was found while the surveillance camera showed that the suspect visited her house at 1 am. The victim was already deceased before the suspect went to her house. There are seven hours in between. The time of death is not lining."

 

 

"Forensic scientists can only estimate the time of death. I'll repeat, estimate the time of death. It's not always precisely accurate. From 10 to 50 hours (after death), it's basically a wild guess. The difference between seven hours could be an oversight, it's possible. Besides, the suspect also visited the victim at 4pm the previous day. He might murder her during that time."

 

 

"Hwang Aera was still alive when he left her place at 4pm." She pulls out a document and slides it to him, "There was a receipt of her went to a restaurant and surveillance camera caught her leaving the restaurant at 5:15 pm."

 

 

He slumps lower in his seat, massaging his temple, "Let's say you were right, the victim was alive at 5:15 pm where she was last seen. The suspect visited her twice, at 4pm and 1am. You are assuming the victim was killed during the period in between. However, when the suspect went to her house for the second time, he stated that the victim was still alive when he came."

 

 

"It could be someone else. The victim was murdered seven hours before the suspect came around 6pm. Then someone pretended to be the victim. The suspect stated he only heard a woman's voice. No one knows if it really belongs to the victim and the suspect didn't see her" 

 

 

He stares at her blankly. The junior he has gotten used to, the woman he knows isn't this reckless. She rarely acts this way. The moment personal feelings involved, it'll negatively affect your ability to do your job, especially a criminal case, "What are you trying to imply Park Jihyo"

 

 

Jihyo stands her ground, returning his senior's gaze, "Someone is framing him"

 

 

"Evidence is a fact and that's a wild guess. You know it yourself, that, fact is what counted here not some baselesss assumption. If you want to defend him, brings me evidence to support your claim, until then, he's the main suspect" 

 

 

He takes off his glasses and heaves a deep breath, "Jihyo, what happened to you? You aren't like this. You always act accordingly and professionally. This case is tough. The evidences against the suspect are strong. It'll be hard for you to win this case, for your own good, you better drop it. This case is suicidal, it's obvious."

 

 

"I'm an attorney, defending him is my job"

 

 

"Even if he's a murderer?"

 

 

Jihyo sends a glare before she trudges towards the door, "Someone who's charged with a crime is innocent until they are proven by competent evidence to be guilty. You said the same thing when I wanted to defend Daniel Kang, and I won the case when no one dared to take it. I'll prove you wrong, again" 

 

 

She slams the door closed behind her and stands in the hallway, gulping burning breath. The evidence against him are strong indeed, but many questionable things leave room for doubt. When, fact supposedly leaves no room for doubt and other possibilities. She rakes her hair, she has been in the same situation months ago. And it's the worst-case she ever handles, now that she has another similar case, it'll be another nightmare for her. In full honesty, she's not confident she'll win this case. She barely managed to prove Kang Daniel innocent, it was a close call. Sighing for the nth time, she walks out and sees his family members waiting outside the Prosecutors Office. 

 

 

"How's it going?" Chaeyoung asks. 

 

 

Jihyo slips her hand inside her pockets, "It doesn't seem well for now but as his lawyer, I'll try my absolute best."

 

 

"He still doesn't want to see us?" Mina interrupts. 

 

 

Jihyo shakes his head, "He refuses to meet anyone for now. He also wanted his family members to stop visiting him."

 

 

"It has been days, until when will he act so immature" Momo voices out her frustration, her hand resting behind her back, "Refusing to meet his family members, what is his plan? We can only help him if he wants to be helped."

 

 

Chaeyoung remains silent. He glances at the three women around him. From their voice and body proportions, he assumes Momo is on his left, Sana on his right, while Mina behinds the former. He examines them. Mina has her dark hair sweeps into a bun, making her cheekbones appears more prominent. She's far too skinny. Chaeyoung wonders if she skips meals, it's obvious she hasn't eaten well. The baby now made a neat little bump at the front of Momo's stomach. She has to endure everything by herself, especially during the first trimester, she must be having terrible morning sickness. Even worst, he can't contact Dahyun, the father when his wife needs him the most. 

 

 

Sana falls sick. It has been days. Last week, she fell on the floor pale, flaccid and unresponsive. She was admitted to the hospital but as soon as she heard the news, she wanted to discharge herself. Lately, she keeps vomiting repeatedly and have severe headaches. Even with constant persuasion, she refuses to visit the hospital again. Her face is lean, eye bags dark in contrast with her pale skin. 

Please log in to read the full chapter