Man In Wheelchair

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Jeju International Airport. Local time is 06:10 and the temperature is 11 degrees Celsius  For your safety and comfort, please remain seated wit---"
 

Mina closes her book as the Captain's voice come over the intercom, making the last announcement. Her eyes roam around the cabin to find Jeongyeon but the guy is nowhere to be seen. She concludes that he might be sleeping in a different section and she's right, Jeongyeon falls asleep in a different section when he is reviewing old cases. Mina knows after asking the flight attendant. She couldn't blame him though, because she is also tired. Their flight from Oslo to Seoul was delayed due to the weather and they had to wait for hours. Thankfully they don't miss the wedding. It will be exactly tomorrow and she has to take a good rest tonight.
 

Mina informed her family not to fetch her because she knows they must have been busy with the ceremony. Instead of coming to the Villa where her family rented, Mina decides to stay in the hotel. She just finds it less awkward for her. It's been five years without seeing each other, she needs time to bond back with her family.
 

"One bedroom suite for two. Your room is on the 11th floor, room number 336 and 337. Here are the key cards. Enjoy your stay." The receptionist smiles to Mina and Jeongyeon as they check-in. The bellhop helps to takes their luggage to their own respective room.
 

As soon as she enters, Mina sways to the bed and flop herself. She breathes out in exhaustion. Mina gives a phone call to her mother, saying she's arrived safely. The girl then orders room services, asking for light snacks and drink before she goes to dreamland. She tucks herself in bed and makes sure to turn the bedlamp on before she falls asleep.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The egg yolk sun pours through the cracks in the blind and awaited entrance into Mina's eyes. Sight still in the clutches of the night's glue, she hesitantly rubs the reminders sleep and gazes out the horizon. The light is bright, and scorchingly hot. Too bright and too hot for morning. She springs up in shock, snapping her head to the digital clock on the bedside. 15:37. Her eyes widen as she jumps from the bed and rush to the washroom. Mina quickly changes into casual clothes and goes downstairs as she rings Jeongyeon, there had been 12 missed call from the guy.

 

Luckily, she found the guy in the hotel's lobby drinking coffee while reading some paper sheets. They shared some meals and conversation together, deciding that they don't have time to visit the Villa and just goes directly to the wedding.

 

Mina has her dress ordered beforehand and picks it up. It's an off-shoulder red dress matched with a black ankle strap heels. She also wears a pair of imitation pearl earrings and black lace chocker. Meanwhile, Jeongyeon is in a formal black suit with brown leather shoes. They then drive to the nearest salon and have their hair done. For Mina, it is a low ponytail with well-trimmed bangs and light make up. She really exuded elegance with her appearance, her skin is like silk over glass and she radiates an intelligent beauty.

 

"Ready?" Jeongyeon asks as he approaches Mina. She's examining herself in front of a standing mirror while at the same time calming herself. Don't know why she suddenly feels nervous and anxious, or maybe she does know the reason why. Mina spares another quick glance at her wristwatch only seems to confirm that time is moving faster, her stomach twisted. Mina takes a shuddering breath and gathers her strength. She wears her custom made black lace Venetian mask while Jeongyeon has Colombina Stutcchi silver mask. Since it's a Masquerade themed wedding, they are required to have it. Deep inside, she's thankful that their face is hidden behind it. The girl looks up to their reflection and smiles through it.
 

"Yeah" She heaves a deep sigh.







 

*  *  *  *

Lil's face is beet red and his skin glistens in a way that has Irene worried. She put a cool compress on his head and keep his room at a moderate temperature -- not too hot and not too cold. Dress him in one layer of light clothing and offer a light blanket. She had cooled him off with a lukewarm sponge bath.

 

The doctor comes in the morning and said Lil' has caught a fever and he has given him Acetaminophen. The fever isn't too high but Lil' is a special kid, and a slightly elevated temperature may indicate a serious infection. Thank goodness, Lil's fever seems to gradually reduced. The boy is sleeping peacefully now without shivering. Irene smiles and checks on his temperature, it's back to normal but he still needs to rest. She looks over the digital clock on the bedside lamp showing, 16:20. The wedding ceremony starts at 7 o'clock in the evening. Less than four hours.
 

"We'll take care of Lil'. Miss Irene doesn't have to worry. If there's anything. We'll give a ring" Mr Kang, the butler assured as he stands at the door frame.
 

Irene turns his head towards the butler and smiles before she averts her eyes back to the boy' "Lil' is so excited to go to the wedding. It's a surprise because he likes to be alone and I'm also proud that he wanted to break free from his shell. How am I going to explain this to him?" She sighs, gently caressing the boy's hair.
 

"Lil' might be autistic. But he is very intelligent and understanding. He'll let it go, only if you bring him to a marble store later." Me Kang smiles.
 

Irene kiss Lil' forehead and stands while she fixes the duvet. She smiles and walks out of the room "Thank you, Mr Kang. Please keep an eye on him. If he suddenly has a seizure or anything, call the ambulance and us." She states. The butler nods and goes inside the room to accompany the boy while Irene swings her feet to the first floor.
 

She walks directly to Chaeyoung's room but the guy is nowhere to be seen. If he is not in his room, there are only two places he could be. The yard. But no one is there. Then, must be the Art studio. The room is located in the west wing of the Villa. And sure it is, she meets Hahn standing outside the room. Hahn bowed and gestures to the door, indicating that Chaeyoung is inside. Irene smiles and knocks the door before she enters.
 

There she sees Chaeyoung, drawing or committing to memory garden paraphernalia. He holds the brush in between his teeth and manoeuvres it with his tongue and cheek muscles. From sketches, he will do watercolour paintings of flowers, abandoned inn, paddy fields, woods and sometimes figure painting of a rice farmer. His art neatly hangs on the wall. Chaeyoung has a very distinctive style. From pastel painting, he developed the knack for sort of comic strip exaggeration. Then slowly he'll try oil paintings and all sort of paint forms.
 

Not wanting to disturb, Irene finds a seat and waits as Chaeyoung doesn't seem to notice her presence. She peaks from behind and sees the guy painting a pink Stargazer Lily field with a little girl standing in the far left of the canvas, facing backwards as she holds a white Callalily behind her. It's greatly mesmerizing.
 

She smiles when she remembers the first time Chaeyoung was introduced to art after he went paralysis. He was doubtful about it since he couldn't move his arms, but the art therapist then taught him mouth painting. At first, he refused. It was another tough year for Chaeyoung and her because he was emotionally unstable. He was easily irritated and hated to talk, something she never saw in him. Finally, after some convincing, Irene successfully changed his mind to try the art therapy because she knows Chaeyoung still has a strong passion for art, he just mad that he is unable to paint like he used to.
 

Since he started mouth painting in the third year of paralysis, he has developed his artistic skill and created some visually stunning pieces ever created by any mouth painter. Though at first, it was a torture for his neck and jaw muscle, he slowly copes up with it. Now, the spinal cord stimulation and physical therapy have helped a lot in his recovery. With a level of injury Low-Cervical Nerves (C-6), he finally able to use his arms and wrist but not enough muscle strength to paint.
 

Chaeyoung smiles when he finished the painting then adds his name initial at the bottom right of the canvas. He slowly places his brushes on the table "Am I that handsome, that you can't stop staring?" He chuckles.
 

Irene's eyes widen as her cheeks kissed pink. She presses her lips and hesitantly walks to the guy. From behind, she slowly circling her arms around his neck while resting her chin on his shoulder. "Stop teasing me." She unconsciously pouts. Irene hug him tighter "When will you open the art gallery?"
 

"Three months from now. They had sent me the interior design, and it really matched my vision. We'll just gonna work on local licensing and all the permit requirement." Chaeyoung says as he lightly taps Irene's arms. "After everything set up. Let's move to Seoul" He mutters softly. They have planned to launch an art exhibition in Seoul whilst at the same time decides to stay move there. They have lived in Jeju for five years, isolating himself from his family. Now, he thought it's the time for him to stop running away and face the world, no more shame, no more guilt, and live a happy life with the girl that had been with him through his hardship.
 

Irene hums as they stay for a few more minutes. "We should get ready for the wedding" She smiles and pulls away. They share small talk as they go back to the main area with Hahn following them. They both changes in their respective room. Irene wears a dark blue one shoulder A-line satin dress. It was Chaeyoung's pick when they went to boutique weeks ago. Up until now, she is still not used to this luxury life, when she knew how pricey the dress was, she instantly shook her head but Chaeyoung was so persistent. Irene couldn't stop thinking that the dress that she might wear only for a night is worth a year of her saving back in the past.
 

She sighs and sits in front of her dressing table as she applies light makeup. Not wanting to waste money to go to the salon, she has her hair done by herself. It grows as a habit, if she can do it by herself, she doesn't need professional help. As long as she looks good in her eyes, and in Chaeyoung's eyes, she's content enough. She curls her long brown hair and does a simple twisted tie back hairstyle. Final touch, she wears a diamond chandelier drop earring which is another Chaeyoung's pick, and finished the look with a white laced mask.
 

She pays another visit to Lil's room and kisses his cheeks before she slowly walks out, afraid to disturb his sleep. Satisfied, Irene goes downstairs and to Chaeyoung's room. She knocks and enters after hearing a welcoming voice. The guy also has finished dressing, wearing a navy suit. He has long black wavy hair in curtain hairstyle, where his fringe is divided in the middle parting. Hahn takes out a white and gold mask from a box and put it on Chaeyoung. When he is done, he bowed to them and excuses himself.
 

Irene smiles and walks to the guy who is in front of a stand

Please log in to read the full chapter