Suspicious

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Placental Abruption?" Dr Hyun, the chief of gynaecologists ask as she round the patients. Doctors and nurses surround the hospital bed, attaching IV's, heart monitors and oxygen tanks to the pregnant mother. Today's morning is unexpectedly peaceful unlike before, there is no car accident or serious emergency in the ER Room and most importantly, Dr Hyun wasn't annoying Mina with unreasonable demand. Guess it was because today a newcomer from the main hospital will transfer here, meaning she must be feeling anxious that her title as chief will be taken.

 

Geez,"Yes" Mina confirmed, trying no to be pleased by watching the senior's disturbed face.

 

"Take an X-ray first and sends her to the delivery room," Dr Hyun says before walking away, attending the next bed. Mina follows the order and explains to her patient that she will run an abdominal x-ray. Including all the risk it takes to the mother and unborn child which is very small, and the benefit of finding out about the medical condition is far greater. In fact, the risk of not having a needed x-ray could be much greater than the risk from the radiation. After hours, battling in the delivery room, the same patient is blessed with twins baby boy.

 

"Youngmin, Kwangmin. Beautiful name" Mina utters, smiling to the boys in the incubator as she stares outside the nursery room. It is her everyday habit to stand behind the glassy panel whenever her break comes. She slips her hands inside her front pocket as her mind drifted to the early patient 'Placental Abruption huh?' She thoughts. The same condition she suffered when she had Lily. Different from herself four years ago, she is more knowledgeable and mature. Recalling her conversation that took place in the past with her doctor Miss Elly, Mina hums.

 

"That bring life-threatening to the baby and you yourself. Might be the reason for you to have a Placental abruption."

 

"? Placental Abruption is an uncommon disease. Bradycardia followed by hypertension, that probably caused it and that makes sense. But it was quickly treated afterwards. How about ? If I still take it deliberately...then my condition obviously worsens over time. But how? It wasn't from my PTSD/Anti-depressant medication. I didn't even take those as I was too careful of the baby. I had nutritionists that guided me on nutritional status. It didn't come from something that I eat or drink unless I..I wasn't aware of consuming it."

 

Mina mumbles to herself, her brows creased as she bites her lips. She shakes her head and sighs, the more she mull it over the more her brain becomes a spinning top, always finding more questions than answers. Even though she tries to brush the thought off, it comes again uninvited.

 

"Why ? It was the only drug that can cause Placental Abruption. As if someone purposively---"

 

"Mina? Is that you"

 

Her words cut off when she heard a voice calls out her name. Her ongoing thoughts vanish as she roams her eyes, finding the source. At the ends of the hallway, stands a woman wearing peach palazzo and white V-neck blouse, simple yet sophisticated. The women had a white coat hangs around her arms and on her left hand is a back handbag. She smiles upon walking closer, heels click-clacking against the white tiled floor.

 

"Miss Elly" Mina utters, grinning widely as she recognized the women. They settle down on the hospital's rooftop, catching up with one and another especially the senior doctor. She introduces herself as the new gynaecologists that just transferred her and Mina couldn't be happier. But mainly, she states her disappointment about Mina's sudden disappearance, just to found out the younger was in Norway. She even mentioned how resentful her little cousin is, Jihyo who was and still is Mina's beloved friend. After what had happened to Mina, the brunette was too preoccupied and burdened with everything that she completely forgot to contact her friend.

 

"Where is she now?" Mina asks hesitantly as she admits her fault. She is thinking to reconnect with her friend since she is in Korea now and of course, to apologise.

 

"Still in Seoul. Pathetically fighting for her love" Miss Elly sighs as she sips her cappuccino cup, crossing her legs. Mina who sits beside her on the bench, tilts her head as if waiting for an explanation. Without even looking at the younger's expression, Miss Elly could already guess her curiosity. Hence, she continues,"She's a prosecutor and their newest case involved a guy named Daniel who was suspected for murder. All evidence pointed to him but he claimed innocence, he didn't even remember anything. Guess what happens next "

 

Mina averts her gaze and blinks "Umm, she helps him?"

 

Miss Elly nods, "They had met even before and based on her the guy is a very kind barista. It seems unreasonable but something indeed weird in that case. In first glance, he does seem to be the murderer, but if you investigate deeper, there are too many coincidences. The crime is too perfect, as if it was a setup. And Jihyo did manage to gain some proof to support Daniel but, she is a prosecutor besides, the judge refused it. So, she ends up resigning and be a civil attorney instead. People think she's mad or something to go to such an extent since everyone believed it is him. She said she did it all because of justice but I doubt it, somewhere, it must have been involving love and trust. Because she loves and trusts him."

 

Mina covers with her palm, paused on her position. She knows how heavy the profession is, the practice of law often brings the lawyer into contact with people experiencing emotional upheaval. Not to mention, how a single word could put an innocent man executed or a criminal freed from his crime. Knowing what Jihyo is going through, it must have been hard and scary, "That is..." She trails off.

 

"Miserable" Miss Elly finishes. Silence surrounded them like a restorative draught after the frenetic rush of the day. Basically the younger observing what her senior just said, part of her feels proud of Jihyo for

Please log in to read the full chapter