Teardrop

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sound of car horns and screeching vehicles careening down the streets awaken Momo from her restless night. Outside the window, the motorized sound of a snowblower can be heard over the customary sound of emergency vehicles. Out of habit, she reaches over to put her arms around his husband, but the emptiness of the bed brings the memories of the past day. She leaps up and hops into the shower, hoping the water will wash the blues. There are times during the day when tears stained her cheeks, and she walks around with a small towel to wipe her face. Due to her pregnancy, she takes a leave from her dance studio and stays at home, wishing she can spend more time with her husband.

 

However, Dahyun has been very preoccupied. He will return from the theatre when she already falls asleep and leaves to work before she wakes up. It has been weeks. Being an understanding wife, she never questions his behaviour. He doesn't even know that she's not attending dance classes. Unlike before, Dahyun has been very distant almost as if he is avoiding her. They aren't communicating much. Whenever she tried to talk to him, he'll make up excuses. It saddens her, leaving her confused and hurt. She knows something is wrong. Something is wrong between them and he tries to solve it on his own, leaving her in the dark. But nothing will be resolve without both party involvement especially when they are married. Endless questions have ricocheted around inside her head all day, thinking why they are in this situation.


 

She steps out of the bathroom, wearing casual clothes. Just like any other day, she'll spend the time cleaning the house, watching television, reading pregnancy guide book and motherhood, eat her food alone on the table, and during night, she will cook for Dahyun and wait for him until she falls asleep on the couch. That is her usual routine. But, today may be a little bit different. The sound of a 'ding' catches her attention. Her phone on the tableside light up and a notification pops on the screen. There is a message from an unknown number. She reaches for her phone and reads:

 

[You husband have an affair with someone  in the orchestra]

 

Momo eyes fix to the sentence as she reads it again and again. Her brain stutters for a moment, every part of her goes on pause while her thoughts catch up. It must be a scam or someone is pulling a prank on her. She toughens herself and thinks positively. She trusts Dahyun more than a mere random text. Although, deep inside her, there are little sparks of doubt. Anxiety and nervousness slowly creeping inside her mind. She recalls the woman she saw with Dahyun before, the cellist. It is still vivid in her memory how wide his smile was, how happy he was with the woman. There are a possibility and questions after question flooded her mind. What if it's true? what she's going to do? She quickly pushes the thought aside. There is no way Dahyun will do that.

 

She rings the number where the message comes from but it is said to be unavailable. She let out a trembling breath and sits down on the bed, her knees are weak. She stares blankly into space before shaking her head. She shouldn't overthink and let the message ruin her emotions. She knows it's not preferable to be stress over something uncertain. Dwelling over it won't make herself feels better but worse. She springs up and makes herself a healthy breakfast, following the pregnancy guidance. She glances around the empty house. Dahyun must be left to work already.

 

As the sun is drawn to an end, heavy black clouds have starts to roll in, sealing in the thick, humid air. She watches the silvery fall of rain outside her house while waiting for Dahyun to return. She is standing in the patio and holds an umbrella for herself and another for the latter, a blanket folded on her arms to wrap him with when he reaches home. The night is so deep and dark and last longer than ever. She waits for him for more than enough time and she begins to worry, more than herself that shivers from the cold. She hopes he has a safe trip considering the increasingly heavy rain and thunderstorm. She waits---until twelve, until one, until two; he never comes.

 

She doesn't remember what has happened. She remembers she was tired of sitting, thus she sat on the stairs that lead to the patio then leaned her body on the railing. The next time she opens her eyes, she finds herself on her bed. Her body feels weak and is dry. She recalls that she had been waiting for Dahyun last night. She sits up abruptly and the damp towel that has been placed on her forehead falls to her lap. She takes it and roams her eyes around, the rain is still falling heavily outside the window. What time is it? She asks herself and glances to the clock. It's quarter past seven in the evening. Has she fallen asleep the whole day? She winces when a sharp pain slices through her head. The door opens, revealing her husband with a tray of porridge in hand.

 

Dahyun notices the pained expression in her wife and quickly attend to her. He places the tray on the bedside table and holds Momo hands. "Take some rest. You catch a fever" He says softly, trying to urge her wife back to lay down on the bed.

 

Momo doesn't move and stares at him, ignoring her spinning head, "We need to talk, Hyunnie" this is the only chance she got that now he is here. They need to sort things out and fix a misunderstanding, if there is, or flaw or mistakes that she probably has done to him. To fix whatever it is that threatens their relationship before it's out of hand.

 

Dahyun avoids her gaze, "You are sick. Let's talk later." He stands from the bed and distances himself, but Momo catches his wrist before he could leave.

 

She looks up at him, her gaze pleading, "Please. Spend the day with me. You haven't been home for quite some time. What is happening to you?"

 

"Nothing is happening" 

 

Momo bowed her head. She's reluctant to ask him but if she leaves it longer, it will slowly intoxicated herself. She's afraid but she needs an answer and confronting him is the best way to solve the problem and ease her mind. With everything that happens in their relationship and his odd behaviour these past few days, she wants to know the truth. Gaining her confidence, she lifts her gaze and speak up, "I saw it. I visited you once in the theatre and found you with a woman. I'm thinking to have lunch with you but you already eating with her and so I left. I didn't think too much about it. I assumed she was a colleague."


 

She inhales a big lump of air and continues, "But, someone messaged me and said you have an affair with another woman."


 

Momo force a smile as negative thoughts fills her head upon seeing his reaction. Dahyun looks away and stays muted. She gently pulls him to sit next to her and cups his cheeks, "Unless it's coming from you, I will not believe anyone. You are not cheating on me, right? You won't do that. That person is just pulling a prank, they are wrong and I'm just overthinking. You only need to deny that, I believe in you no matter what they say, no matter what I saw, I will trust you. So please tell you love me and it's just a misunderstanding."

 

A bolt of white-hot lightning breaks the utter blackness ending the long seconds of silence that engulfed them. "I'm sorry" He mutters. His eyes become glacier f

Please log in to read the full chapter