Story Behind The Castle

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"The video is heart-stopping. A mother desperately handing her children to firefighters as they escape flames from their burning apartment. One by one the children are lifted over a railing to firefighters who have formed an assembly line to get them to safety. Only after the kids were rescued did the mom climb over the railing to save herself. Not a moment too soon, look at the raging flames that engulfed the building-----"

 

The television screen reflects his sorrowful expression as he watches the news broadcasting. Watching everything burn in upmost horror as he witnesses the fire swallow the entire building. The blazing inferno rages across the woods,  destroying everything mercilessly in its path. The image drags him to the time where he was battling with flames himself.

 

"It was them. They found you. Run Wanwan. Run!!"
 

Weeping, he held her hand. The muscle under his chin trembled as his lips quivered "Mother, I won't leave you" he said taking off my shirt and ran to the nearest sink and wetting it then tied it around the woman's nose and mouth. The fire devoured the place in a flash of scorching flame and soon began to burn the furniture it had been daubed on. Thick black clouds of smoke choked the air. He coughed and tried to carry the woman on his back, but he was too little, too weak.
 

Sounds of his other friends screaming and crying filled the atmosphere as they were trapped in the flames brought sorrow to his entire body. Unaware of the burning wood plank on top of him, he was too busy trying to drag the old woman with him to safety, even if there was away. The woman realized it, with all energy she had left, she pushed him away as the wood fell on top of her.
 

"Mother Gabriel!"

 

The monster of red, orange, and yellow suddenly died out; its life compositing into nothing but deathlike greyness that floating in the smoky air. Bewilderment grazed his face, as he gasps. Air is thick with wisps of silver-grey smoke curling and dancing their way through the haziness. Sweat lingers in the air, he feels almost suffocated. He shakes his head vigorously and flutters his eyes open. He sighs in relief as he finds himself back to where he is, sitting on a couch across the television that currently showing a telephone advertisement, not in living in that terrible fire again.

 

As he takes off his shirt to shower, he sees that many scars coming from a different accident and he shudders. The water ran down the scars of the faded whip lined up on his back. A burn mark trails from his forearms to his shoulder, tells of his fall through the weak burnt floor and the burning debris that had fallen on him. There are also scars that no one could see, the pain and agony of a terrified child who is begging for help, trapped inside him.
 

Wrapping a towel around his waist, he walks to the fridge and gran a bottle filled with a hue of amber liquid. He swirls the whiskey in his glass, listening to the chinking of the ice cubes. He goes to the window and stares ahead the sky coloured with blended tones of rosy pinks and sandy yellow. The dawn has come. Sipping the drink as a temporary cure, he glances to the wall they covered by a grey curtain. With a swift move, he drew the curtain, revealing a bunch of pictures, news cut out and information.

 

"No evidence, no witness, no CCTV" He scoffs and looks up at a picture attached to the wall. "Brilliant, it was planned really well. Right, Chairman Myoui?"

 

'Chairman Myoui Akira, deceased in March 23rd 2008 due to heart attack'

 

"It was unfortunate, you passed away before I come to you. Your death supposed to be slow and painful, the slower the better. I should be there when you took your last breath, to watch it live, so that I would know the exact moment your life force had left the world. Then I would keep it so encrypted that only I could savour it for the rest of my days. I had started to look forward to the act of mourning you and sharing the grief with your great son. The look in your eyes. I should have seen it"

 

"Someone has to pay for your sins. Now all you have to do is quietly watch me. Don't even blink, watch me helplessly as I make your son and grandchildren suffer, as I tear them apart piece by piece, as your great company crumbles down, as your mighty name tainted."

 

"After all, what goes around, comes around"

 

He clenches his fist as a teardrop of madness trails down from his bloodshot eyes. The anger underneath his gaze shows the scared child within, the boy who was taught to fight and starved of the love he craved. At some point, he thought it might be jealousy. That behind his anger, there is also envy towards their perfect and happy family. The father who goes to work and provide for the family. The mother who nurture and raise the children, prepare food and waits for his husband to come home. The children who obey their parents, assisting in performing household chores, getting good grades in school and praised by their parents. A loving and fulfilling family. Something that he never had.

 

Mother gave him love and protection. She was his everything but she left the world, leaving him alone, cold, without anyone else. She had taught him, adored him and he knows she is probably watching him and disappointed by his actions. However, he hopes she could accept him as her son again. He really hopes, she wouldn't be that mad at him. He really hopes when he returns to her embrace, mother will welcome him with open arms, smiling at him, hug him, his hair, and tell him she isn't angry. That she understands his pain. He doesn't need anyone to pity or forgive or understand him. As long as mother do so, he will be happy and consoled.

 

The hands of the clock move to 6.30 and the alarm bell rings. His brain suddenly receives the clock's alarm signal. In the dark, he closes the curtain and goes his bedroom to change. He has to visit someone, hence he picks a warm and friendly attire, giving a welcoming and kind impression. He brings with him a few gifts. Upon arriving, he stares at the apartment for a moment, then let his usual charm drop. Fix his turtleneck, put on a wide smile and knock the door. Soon after, he heard quick footsteps before the door opens, revealing a woman still in her pyjama.

 

She smiles, showing her gums, "Jeongie, good morning"

 

"Good morning, Mina" He replies, walking in and hands the blonde his gift that consist of a specialized package and a bouquet of flower.

 

She thanks him and inspects the white box inside a transparent plastic, "What's that?"

 

He smiles, "Lego set. Let's complete it together after breakfast. You haven't eaten, aren't you?" Pulling up his sleeves, he walks to the kitchen while Mina trailing behind. "I just wake up. Let me help you. What should I do?" She asks while washing her hand in the sink. He holds her shoulder and lightly pushes her out of the kitchen, "You should go and wash. Don't disturb me. I'm the chef here"

 

Mina wanted to insist but seeing the guy frown and spread his arms so she can't enter the kitchen, make her obliges. She cleans herself and wears a casual outfit since it's her day off. She planned to visit Chaeyoung but she has a

Please log in to read the full chapter