Bracelet and Necklace

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Bergen, Norway.


 

"I feel completely useless, zero knowledge of anything. I literally have to ask my senior resident for help with almost everything and guide me, I'd be doing nothing but converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. And that guy is not the nicest human being. He's the scariest person I ever met with that hawking eyes. I feel like he could swallow me anytime. Well, unlike you who have the kindest and good-looking senior. What should I do Mina? This is frustrating."
 

Mina smiles as she listens to her friend's complaint and whining. She sometimes nods while stuffed with some rice, chickpeas, vegetables and chapatti. It's lunchtime for the intern and they have never been so grateful that they aren't any lectures or conferences for the day, unlike usual where they have for nothing more than a few bites then must return to the wards.
 

"Can't relate Amy" Mina chuckle jokingly.
 

Amy scoff as disbelief look craved on her face "I get it. Smartass. Of course, you're the best intern of the year. All senior resident at least mention you once and how we should be like ya. "
 

That's a half-truth you can say. They are only in one and a half months into internship (the first year of residency) Mina cannot be the best intern of the year. She also still learning and actually did small mistakes in her works that she quickly fix afterwards. But above all the intern, she is the least problematic so far and quick-witted. Mina shakes her head on Amy's statement, disagreeing.
 

"You shouldn't ask the senior what to do. Tell him what you want to do and why, and then let him tell you that you are wrong. Your senior appeared scary but I heard it's only his aura and his face. Just pick up your courage and talk casually. Don't be so tense" Mina advice as she takes a tomato cherry and slowly chews it. "This is fresh. I like it"
 

Amy shrugs and leans forwards "He's still scary to me. You know, yesterday I put a wrong order in and felt really terrible. It wasn't a catastrophic error by any stretch but thankfully, it was caught and modified. I certainly got a blast for that, coming from him" She cringed as she recalls the incident last night. Mina gives a quick glance to her friend before diverting her attention back to her tomato cherry.
 

"You know what happened to Zara?" Amy continues with her gossips while Mina shakes her head as an answer. Amy stands and brings her chair with her to sit next to Mina. "Last night, she neglected to tell anyone that a patient in ICU was still on fluids with K+ and the K level was over 6.0. Good things, the senior resident quick enough to catch it. If not, the patient could be coded and died from it." She whispers with horror expression plastered on her face. Mina gasp while chewing her tomato cherry as she shakes her head slightly.
 

"I'm just wondering why the pharmacy didn't investigate it first since it was an unusual fluid order. Anyways, she's in big trouble now" Amy added.
 

"This is fresh. I like it" Mina repeats as she steals tomato cherry from Amy's plate because hers already finished. Amy sigh and pushes her plate.
 

"You can have it," She says defeated, knowing Mina isn't fully listening to her. Mina smiles and mutters a 'thank you' before start devouring the salad. "Now about you, your sister's marriage is next week isn't it? Have you settled all the arrangements? When will you fly there?" She drops an explosion of questions then suddenly gasp "Oh, wait. Are you gonna finish your internship there? Will you come back here? I'm gonna miss you boo boo" She pouts.
 

Mina laughs and swallows her tomato before answering "One question at a time Amy. You shook my brain." She takes a sip of her juice and nods "I'm in the process of arranging everything. I've told the director and the house staff. After it's done, we'll go to South Korea, three days before the ceremony. I might finish my residency there. Means, I wouldn't be here. I will not miss you boo boo" She joked.
 

"I hate you" Amy scrunched her nose while distancing herself.
 

"Well, this is really fresh. I love it" Mina states, taking a big bite on the tomato.
 

After lunch, they walk back to the wards. They have work rounds later in the afternoon before supper, conducted by a team of physician that consisting of senior resident and junior residents with medical students. They see each patient and discusses his medical care while the intern presents the patients they assigned to and explain what to do for them and why. As for Mina, the diagnosis of her first patient is unclear, and she's well aware of it. The house staff is having difficulty in agreeing to the diagnosis and deciding on a plan of treatment.
 

Jørgen, the assistant resident asks, "What about steroids?"
 

Mina shakes her head and says, "I don't think we have a clear diagnosis. It might be cirrhosis. I don't think steroids are indicated. I suggest doing a biopsy"
 

Jørgen knows that is a good point. A medical student and senior resident agree with Mina's suggestion. She turns to Jørgen "Do you think I'm wrong? If you do, I'll send the patient home today" She asks.
 

Jørgen shakes her head "No, I think you can do the biopsy"
 

Mina nods and makes a note in her patient's chart. The day goes on and the early evening hours isn't that much different than the afternoon. Most hospital departments have closed for the day but the interns continue their work. Mina wanted to do as much as she can, because the next day she might be on call, seeing new patient and having other work to do. She proceeds doing her job; draw blood, collects specimens, do routine laboratory tests, brings patient's chart up-to-date, write requests and orders, and perform therapeutic procedures.
 

Can't deny that it's tiring but also exciting for Mina. She enjoys the context for her newfound knowledge that each patient encounter provides. It is the first time in her life when learning and doing her job are intertwined, and she finds it very rewarding. After all, the privilege of spending a lifetime learning is one of the best aspects of being a physician.
 

Mina remains in the hospital until the 'night float' reports for duty around ten in the evening. Jeongyeon usually fetches her unless she's on call, and sure it is, the guy is waiting outside with a drink and apple. Mina is sure the drink is green tea. She smiles as she gets closer to him and takes the food before muttering a simple thank you. They go straight home while having a simple talk in the car.
 

Both are purely exhausted, Mina for her internship and Jeongyeon for his cases. He works as a lawyer in a firm. They decide to sleep after sharing another small talk in the dining table. Mina makes sure her bed lamp is on, her door is locked, her curtain is shut down. That doesn't mean she distrust Jeongyeon. It's just a habit that grows from her own anxiety, that paranoia of the dark and that she could be attacked anytime. After everything seems fine to her, she tucks herself to bed and prays for a peaceful sleep without any nightmare.
 

The same routine repeated for days until Mina has settled all the arrangements needed. Jeongyeon also has given his resignation letter to the firm he's working at. It's Sunday night where they start packing their things for their flight tomorrow morning to South Korea. Mina sits on the edge of her bed as she stares at her empty luggage that's laying on the floor. She doesn't have that much of things, only a few clothes, her basic medical equipment, toiletries, and that's it.   She folds her clothes and arranges everything neatly inside her luggage when suddenly she remembers her sister. The brunette smiles widely before she reaches for her phone and dials a number. When she heard the calls has been answered, she automatically greets her sister.
 

"Momo Unnie! How's your feeling?" She exclaimed excitedly "I'm just wondering what the bride is doing right now" She chuckles. Mina arc an eyebrow when the line is silent. "Unnie?" She asks unsure then a sob is heard. Panic, Mina unknowingly stands and clench her first "Momo unnie? Is everything alright?" She asks, trying to stay calm and composed.
 

[M-mina ya]
 

The sobs are getting louder and Mina is all fidgety as she nervously walks back and forth "Unnie. What happened? Talk slowly and please stop crying. You making me worried"
 

[I don't want to get married. What should I do? I-I met this one guy last year and I think I fall for him. Mina-yaaa]
 

Mina's jaws drop as she facepalms "Unnie? Are you se---"
 

[Joking hehe. Did I get you there?]
 

She heard Momo chuckle behind the phone with another background laughing voices. She predicts Sana and Dahyun are inside the same room with Momo. "Geez, stop doing that! I almost have a heart attack" There she heard another explosion of laughter. Mina rolls her eyes and quickly change the topic. Sisters talk, random things, gossiping, all of those. Mina honestly wanted to ask about him but doesn't have the courage to do so, maybe it's also because of guilt and shame. In the end, the calls ended without her knowing anything about the guy.
 

Mina sigh and walks to her table. She opens the last locked drawer with a key. Inside is a small indigo box. She takes it out and sits on the chair as she opens the lid. A red Bracelet. That is the content of the box. She has been keeping it hidden for a long time as she's afraid that the bracelet will remind her of the past, of her daughter, of him. But now, since she knows that they will highly meet again, she takes out the bracelet and wears it. Her fingers casually play with the silver pendant on it, creating a jiggling sound. She then traces the small metallic penal that carved,
 

S.C & M.M

 

"I hope to see you again."












 

*  *  *  *

Jeju Island, South Korea.


 

Hahn, Chaeyoung's personal caretaker help to transfer him into his wheelchair then crouch as he arranges the equipment. Chaeyoung isn't used to this at first, but gradually he learns that there are things he cannot do due to his disabilities. Just then a knock is heard and in instant, a wide smile creeps on his face. "Come in," Chaeyoung says.
 

The sliding door opens a little before Irene slowly peek inside. They made eye contact as she chuckles then hops inside the room. She seems extra happy today. Hahn stands and smiles as he excuses himself. Chaeyoung mutters a 'thank you' then diverts his attention back to Irene. "Pretty" He complimented as the girl stands before him. He reaches out and holds her hands. Lifting up his head, he asks "What's the occasion?"
 

Irene is indeed more sparkly and prettier then she already is. She has a warm chestnut colour hair in a side French braid. Pastel white skin which made her beautiful pink lips stand out. She must have been putting a slight make-up which lightens her beauty. Her cheeks are rouged and she dressed in a soft pink off-shoulder floral dress. The girl smiles as she combs his hair. "We'll go to the hospital today. Continue with the physical therapy, kay. After that, we'll go for a date" She softly says, sounds as if she's trying to persuade him.
 

Chaeyoung knows that. He's quite disappointed at her for neglecting his decision and keep on pushing the matter. They've discussed it and he thought he has made it clear that; he doesn't want to continue the therapy. "Rene-ah, we've talked about this right" He searches for her hands and hold it tight "I'm tired. I really am"
 

Irene shakes her head "That's why I'm here right? To help you, to assist you. We'll go through this together. You've promised me you'll try"
 

"I'm not tired of doing the therapy. I'm tired of hoping Rene-ah. Hoping that I could walk again when I really can't. It's almost impossible, you know it, the doctors know it and I knows it. It's useless" Chaeyoung sigh.
 

"Trying is not useless. And it's almost impossible not entirely impossible. As long as you're willing to, it will happen one day. We've been doing this for five yea

Please log in to read the full chapter