Abduction

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

It Jeongyeon sits primly in an old winged armchair, legs crosses and fingers intertwine over one knee. His face is drained with a gaunt expressionless stare. It isn't so much a cold stare, but a vacant one. Observing the man sitting across him, his gaze trails from the man's face to the wheelchair he is on. When their eyes met, Jeongyeon forms a small smile. "Congratulations on your art gallery and your first exhibition Chaeyoung-sii." He wishes.

 

Before Chaeyoung could reply, a young man in his starched white shirt and black bow-tie approaches them, it's the waiter bringing their order. The waiter places three cups of coffee on the table and serves them accordingly to their order. The waiter briefly steals a glance at Jeongyeon before he bows and excusing himself.

 

"Thank you. Yoo Jeongyeon-sii?" Chaeyoung asks as the mentioned guy slides his name card and nods. Chaeyoung recalls his memories around the lawyer and tries to plastered Jeongyeon's face to the blank face in his memory, the guy who was Myoui Mina ex-boyfriend. He hums in understanding. He could read Jeongyeon expression of curiosity as the former glance to the person sits next to him, then raise his eyebrow. Chaeyoung chuckles at his impoliteness "Ah, this is Irene, my special someone." He gestures to the girl beside him, sitting rather timidly and intimidated by Jeongyeon's presence but she succeeds on brushing off the uninvited uncomfortable feeling and introduce herself. "Rene-ah, this is Jeongyeon my old friend" Chaeyoung added.

 

"Special someone?" Jeongyeon questioned not expecting an answer as he forms a teasing smile. He turns to Irene and complimented, "You are really gorgeous Irene-sii"

 

The girl only bowed her head shyly from the sudden remark. Using the chance, she peeks over to the man across her, and narrowed her eyes. She shifts slightly on her chair, aware of the uneasiness that grows inside her. Without even looking, she could physically feel a pair of eyes boring into her. She quietly roams her eyes around the cafe and finds nothing but customers that evolve in their own conversation. She made a conclusion that she is being paranoid maybe because of stress or tiredness. She feels guilty for having such a negative first impression of Chaeyoung's friend.

 

Seeing Chaeyoung happily converse with his friend as they caught up with each other brings a gratitude smiles on her face.  Chaeyoung has a small circle of friends to begin with and after his car accident he avoided everyone, pushing ones who are close with him. She is thankful that Jeongyeon is his friend and the guy seems very friendly and funny. She has completely erased the unsettling feeling about him. Now, watching the both of them, she realizes why Chaeyoung is very welcoming towards Jeongyeon as she sees a few similarities between them. She sometimes forced to insert herself to their conversation when the topic pointed to her, the two men will wait for her reply like a curious puppy and she couldn't help to grin as their expression really mirrored each other. She answers all the question thrown at her truthfully until Jeongyeon asked something that tied her tongue.

 

"What do you think about baby?"

 

Irene paused. A momentary look of discomfort crosses her face as her eyes haunted by awoken inner anxiety. Feelings that she has been keeping in cage and hides. She is set to scraping the underside of her nails as though she could scrape the nervousness away and come out with an answer. What her thoughts of a baby? Guilt. She couldn't even face a toddler running around the playground as it reminds her that, Lily would've been around that age if only she is still alive. Lily would've been in her mother and father's arms. Lily would've listened to the soft lullaby her father sings before she off to bed, learning how to strive excellence in education under her mother's watch. That what would have happened, if only she herself didn't interfere in that beautiful dream Chaeyoung longed for.

 

Irene is left staring into space. Jeongyeon, disregarding her silent salutation, continued to stare at her and though Irene avoids any eye contact at the moment, her peripheral vision tells it all. How she notices his straight thin lips slowly curve into a smirk. As if he knows, as if he is playing with her, as if he is enjoying her shaking in panic. When Irene raise her head to take a better look on his expression, there is no smirk or mocking face like she is thinking but rather she is welcomed by a warm smile from him.

 

"I suppose there is hidden meaning in that question Jeongyeon-sii" Chaeyoung jokes as he is also taken aback by it. He isn't that oblivious to Irene's reaction from the question. Living with her for years, he is able to read her body gestures and her face. Everything screams fear. Although Chaeyoung wonders about that unexpected responses, he doesn't want to ask but gives what he thinks she needs, assurance. He reaches for her fidgeting hands and holds it under the table, calming her from whatever is bothering the girl.

 

Jeongyeon tries to suppress his giggles but ends up laughing. It is contiguous, sounded more like a sarcastic snicker rather than an expression of amusement. He shakes his head as his laugh slowly dies and fixed into a light chuckle. "Of course, there is a hidden meaning" He attempted a sardonic smile as he leans forwards. "I was just teasing you guys. Since both of you are living together, I thought it is safe to say, I'm expecting a little Chaeyoung." He winked before cupping his own cheeks.

 

"But I think this topic is pretty embarrassing for you two, right?" Jeongyeon added playfully then divert his attention to the girl."I'm sorry Irene-sii, that question is uncalled for. But you must be really shy about it looking as to how your body tense. That is quite suspicious." His eyes squinted as he studies the now spastically smiling Irene. "Can I really hoping to see little Chaeyoung?" His face lifts up in impish glee, not even trying to hide his excitement.

 

Chaeyoung laughs watching Jeongyeon's eyes sparkling with anticipation. He lightly shakes his head and shrugs cooly, making Jeongyeon drone and click his tongue in disappointment while he leans back to his seat. The teasing smile that tugging his lips breaks into a grin as he viewed the two people across him, one that is sincere after so many years. His mind fled for a second and in silent there he watches Chaeyoung and Irene exchange soft glances. When his mind snapped, floating his resentment and hatred back to the surface, he shut his eyes as his jaw clenched. He stirs the sweetener into his cup and brings it to his lips, and sips. As he places the cup back, the darkness in his orbs vanished in an instant replaced by a masked warming gaze towards the couple.

 

For the following minutes, they continue on talking random topic- mostly Jeongyeon sharing his ridiculous case and lawsuit. Their conversation interrupted by a call from Chaeyoung's phone. He smiles apologetically and faces the side before tapping the green button on the screen. Jeongyeon and Irene remained quiet while Chaeyoung has his phone on his ear, listening and talking to someone who Irene predicted is the gallery staff. Alerted by the awkward atmosphere as the cub is still on call while Jeongyeon silently watching her, Irene reaches for her drink and take a sip to calm her being.

 

The smiles on the attorney's face widen as he stares at Irene's cup that is now a quarter full. When Chaeyoung ended his phone call, Irene suddenly stands and left her seat, excusing herself in a rush. She approached a nearby waiter and quickly recognise him, it is the same waiter that serve their table. She asks him where the restroom is, but instead of answering, the waiter volunteer to guide her. Chaeyoung eyed the brunette in worry until she's are no longer in sight as they turn into a corner.

 

"She'll be fine" Jeongyeon says, catching Chaeyoung's attention. The latter feeling dubious towards the remarks, furrowed his brow but ends up giving a small smile. The lawyer with silver-haired skillfully lightens the mood with jokes to ease the concerned cub and manages to divert his thoughts.

 

Hahn and the driver are waiting outside the cafe, listening to the music in the car. As the driver bob his head to the beat, Hahn remains stony on his seat. An image of Irene outside the cafe as she staggered with a man beside him, caught his interest. Suspicious, he leaves the car and started to jogs towards them but as he turns to the right corner where he last sees the girl, there is no sign of her. Taking another long stride, he reaches a small building with two door side by side, both respectively have a signboard, male and female.

 

He waits outside the restroom. And waits. Other women that going in and out are looking at him with judging eyes while he bowed his head, feeling guilt for some reason. Thirty minutes passed and she hasn't come out. He finds the right time, and after counting people that walks out, he is sure the toilet supposed to be empty, not if Irene is there. Risking his life and reputation as a man, he heaves a sigh before he quietly enters while calling Irene's name in half-whisper- half yelling. But the restroom is vacant.

 

Worried, he starts to jog around in search of the girl until he catches a glimpse of a young man, the one with Irene minutes ago, walking back to the cafe. Hahn assumed he is a waiter based on his clothes. Infuriated, he charges towards the man, palm strike to the chin causing the waiter to stumble backwards. Hahn ignores the groan coming from him and continues twisting his arms before he pushes him to the wall. All happened in a blink of an eye.

 

"Where is she?" Hahn asks in a threatening tone, not caring the eyes they receive coming from inside of the cafe, including Chaeyoung. It catches the customer's attention as the wall on the front side are transparent. Luckily, there are only a few people. Chaeyoung who is in state of confusion, immediately raise his right hand, then click a silver button on the side on his wristwatch. The same black watch on Hahn's wrist beeping red. He quickly averts his gaze and finds Chaeyoung, staring at him with knitted brows. With a huff, Hahn releases the waiter and drags him as he enters the cafe.

 

"What's going on?" Chaeyoung asks, perplexed by the sudden fight. He eyed Hahn and the waiter who is standing beside his table, visibly contrast to one another. Hahn has his ash coloured hair neatly in slicked back, and face flawless from any scratches while the waiter's hair is a mess with a reddish bruise on his cheekbone. Hahn bowed and apologize for interrupting him and his friend. He proceeds explaining the situation, not even once releasing his grip from the waiter's collar.

 

The waiter groans in annoyance and shoves Hahn's hand away. He glares at the guy, standing beside him before he clarifies "If you're talkin' bout the girl

Please log in to read the full chapter