Of Flowers Booming (Chaennie)

Words are all I have (to take your heart away)

A/N: A cute Flower Shop AU Chaennie story because I feel we need a happy Chaennie story involving flowers to forget our trauma from the hanahaki AU lol!

Also this is based on this adorable comic, so all plot credits go to this person: https://heartstoppercomic.tumblr.com/post/168075325319/mini-comic-flower-shop-a-little-story-set-in-an

-------------------------------

Jennie has been working at this flower shop for a while now, and usually there’s good business, except Monday’s. Monday’s are always so slow. Which is why you find Jennie, leaning forwards on the counter, looking around, bored. She had already cleaned the backroom, organize the ribbons, clean the whole place and still the clock seemed to not have moved not even a little bit.

She’s contemplating going to the backroom to take a nap when the ring from the bell on the door snaps her out of her thoughts. The sleepiness and boredom immediately gone as she sees the girl in front of her and she’s pretty sure her heart skipped several beats at the sight.

She’s gorgeous, tall, long flowing blonde hair, and the snowflakes on her hair shining against the light making her look like an angel, her cheeks and nose slightly red from the cold outside, Wow" Jennie whispers, just as she watches the woman bite down on her lips.

Her gazing is cut off by a sniff and Jennie immediately snaps out of it and walks around the counter and to the girl.  "Hey," she says softly. "Are you okay?"

"Oh...Oh, hi..." The girl said, jumping a little at being startled.. "Yeah," she says, her voice wavering a little. “ I'm sorry. I just..."she sniffles and she tries to keep her sobs in. "I, um..."

"Hey, it's okay," She reassures her.”How about I uh…” She looks around quickly thinking of a way to distract the girl. “Make you a cup of tea?” She ends up saying.

There's a few seconds of hesitance before she finally gets a weak nod of answer along with a shy smile which Jennie returns without hesitation, she nods with her head as a signal to have the girl follow her which she does.When she get to the counter they get to a doorway covered by a curtain which Jennie pushes aside and lets the woman go first. She’s a gentlewoman at the end of the day.

Back here, besides the storage, is a small greenhouse, along with a sitting area where Jennie usually spends her breaks either having lunch or doing homework.. 

"Here.” She says guiding the woman to the bench. “I'll go make you a cup of tea. Is Earl Grey okay?" she asks, to which she receives another shy nod. She nods back, smiling and walks to the shop’s kitchenette, Jennie herself prefers coffee but the owner is a tea drinker so they usually have both stocked. 

Once the tea is done she starts to make her way back, and when she rounds the corner again, she finds the woman looking around curiously, more peaceful than before. And once again Jennie’s heart skips a beat and she’s absolutely struck by how beautiful she is. 

"Here you go," she says, after a few seconds of making her steps loud enough to hear. "Be careful. It's still hot." The girl takes the cup with both hands and mutters a shy ‘Thank you’ which in the brunette’s mind sounded adorable. 

"So, what's troubling you?" She asks after a while, sitting besides the girl.

The woman brings the cup down from her lips, swallowing her sip of tea, her eyes taking that anguish look again. She sighs. ”It’s really not that big of a deal honestly, it’s just one of those weeks where everything goes wrong at the same time.”

“Yeah, I totally get that.” Jennie agreed sympathetically. "Wanna tell me about it?"

“Okay...well...first my art project got ruined by the stupid weather, no where did the forecast say it was going to be snowing all week, so because I have no car I thought it’d be okay if I took the bus instead of an Uber, but no...the universe said you and your plans here’s some snow, and there goes my art project. Then my sister is having her baby, but she’s in Australia cause I’m from Australia right, and get this my credit card was ing cloned so now I have no money other than the income from my part time job, so no Australia for me. And on top of that I have to get to my ex’s wedding. Who cheated on me” Jennie cringes noticeably. “With the girl she’s marrying.”

“Wow.” Jennie says, feeling sympathetic for the girl, also wondering how can someone cheat on someone like her.

“And you know what the worst part is, I have to go, cause she’s a ´family friend´” She said the last two words in a mocking voice. “And and what’s worse, she calls and says ‘Hey, bride forgot her flowers, can you get her a bouquet’ and me like the idiot I am I said yes, which is why now I’m here crying to you… a complete stranger”

Jennie has to resist the sudden urge to smile. It would be tactless to show how endeared she is by the person who seems to be having one of the worst days of their life. “Hey, no worries!” She says. “First of all, your ex sounds like an .”  she exclaims. “In fact, you know what? Wait here for a second.”

"O...Okay." the other girl says confused.

The blonde girl observes the other woman run around the greenhouse picking at flowers, she notices how she stops every once in a while at certain flowers and how she delicately grazes them and smells them, before gently cutting one off. She can’t help but take a look at the the girls face, rosy cheeks, soft smile, beautiful eyes and her body… Chaeyoung’s mind and heart were running wild.

“Here, from the house.” The girl says once she comes back, with a bouquet on her hands.

"Oh no. I couldn't..."

"Sure, you can! Because, look,this one?" Jennie points at some red flowers. "They symbolize stupidity. And this purple one? Hatred." she says excitedly and Chaeyoung can’t help but smile a this. "This white ones? Uselessness" She takes the now-empty cup in exchange for the flowers. "They essentially mean ' you,' in florist speak, because what kind of asks their ex to get them flowers on their wedding day? "

The woman chuckles lowly, sending Jennie to a cardiac heart. Because she’s pretty sure she's never heard such a beautiful sound before.

"Tha...thank you," She says smile, before her phone pings, looking down she jumps from her seat and looks at Jennie apologetically. "I have to go. But you've definitely made my day so much better."

"Well, I'm glad I could help just a bit, be careful getting to where you're going, okay?"

"Yes, of course. Thank you so much again. You've been so incredibly kind to me. “

The woman smiles warmly at her, warm enough to make her feel as if she's melting, as if it's not the middle of February and there's a snowstorm outside. A second lingers between them, meaningfully, but then she's being bid farewell with one more glance of gratitude and a soft goodbye. 

--------

Three days letter and Jennie is pretty close to smashing her head on the counter at her own stupidity because how could she have forgotten to ask the girl for a name. How much of useless lesbian can she be? 

"And she had this laugh, Jisoo. It was so soft, and her smile was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life, and...." She says entwining two flower stems together, because, Jennie can multitask okay? She is perfectly capable of giving a flower crown class and talking about her problems.

"And then she had to go, but you failed to get her name," Jisoo nods, focusing on her own crown. "Yes, tragic, you've told me this five times, Jendukie"

Jennie frowns. She puts a little more force into her efforts and ends up snapping one of the stems altogether.

"Okay, why don't you go help some of the kids. Maybe it'll take your mind off of your so-called 'one that got away.'"

Jennie grumbles underneath her breath as she slides off of her stool. "Stop being rude, Jisoo." She said frowning.

"Miss Jennie!" one of the little girls exclaims, once she's closer. "Look! I've got two different kinds of flowers in my crown!"

Jennie's expression lightens significantly at the sight of the kid, she was one of her must regular students whenever the shop did arts and crafts, the little girl never fails to make her smile, there is soemthing about a child’s innocence and happiness at the simplest of things that just makes you forget about your problems. 

At least that was the case until she heard a voice she thought would never hear again. 

"Um, is Jennie here? I think that's her name? She was working on Monday?" that made Jennie's heart jumps up into .  Her head snaps up towards the door and her eyes land on the tall figure of just who she's been wishing she'd see once more.

She leaves her half-finished project abandoned on the tabletop, standing and making her way over to the woman before Jisoo can even answer to her.

"Hey!" Jennie greets, her smile wide and welcoming. "It's you!"

The woman meets her halfway. That same smile that's been stuck in Jennie's head finally reappears in real time, and, so, consequently, she feels like her knees might give out. 

"Yeah," comes the reply, light and a little shy, along with a gesture towards the white flowers sitting on top of her head. "This is cute."

"Oh! Thanks.I made it myself." She points to herself, blushing. The looks back at the table, “You like roses?” She asks receiving a nod in response. So she walks quickly back to the table to take a crown she had done previously, placing the crown on top of the girls head. "There. It’s perfect." 

"You're sure it doesn't look silly?" She asks blushing.

"No! It’s adorable.."

"Okay, so, I...um... I got you something." The woman brings a bag up into their line of sight, that Jennie hadn't even noticed in her hand before. "To say thank you for the other day. Because it really did mean a lot." She reaches in and lifts out a single rose,

Jennie finds herself, suddenly, at a loss for words. Which almost never happens."You...You really didn't have to repay me in any way.” She says.

The woman smiles at her, looking endeared and like she's contemplating something.

"I have to go again, but make sure you read the tag." She said giving a quick kiss to Jennie’s cheek and turning around.

Jennie nods. Getting another smile from over the shoulder, and, luckily, it's pure instinct that has her return it.  She glances down to the label and turns it face up so that she can read the words written neatly across it. 

555-0564

Wanna go for a drink? 

Chaeyoung (Rosé) x

Jisoo appears by her side, reading over her shoulder.

"So, I guess she wasn't the one that got away, after all."

Jennie grins, "No," she breathes out. "I guess not."