Time After Time // Chaelisa

Words are all I have (to take your heart away)

A/N: I'm having Chaelisa withdrawls...

Also if anybody read my chaennie fic "This Town" and it's companion piece another snapshot has been posted.

Enjoy!

--------------------------

Soulmates.

 

Everybody has them. Some want to meet, others want to be surprised and others simply don’t. They hate the idea of not being able to choose who they will fall in love with.

 

Lisa was the former. She wanted to meet them, was excited about the idea of them, wondered constantly who they were, what they look like, do they like cats as much as Lisa does? How about food? Are they a dancer? She was excited about it yet her wrist counter seemed to remain at zero no movement, not even a millisecond…

 

This is what Lisa did during the downtime in her job as a customer service agent, contemplating about her soulmate, looking at her wrist or talking with her friend about her soulmate...

 

“I don’t know why you’re still with Kai. Neither of your timers are running.” Said Lisa to her best friend Jennie, as they enjoyed the downtime, both girls had their chairs turn towards each other.

 

Jennie shrugged nonalachtly “We’re just having fun.”

 

“But your…”

 

“Soulmate, I know.” Said Jennie rolling her eyes. “Listen all I got was fifteen seconds a year ago in a coachella, literally in another country, nothing else since then.”

 

“At least yours is moving.” The thai girl grumbles looking down at her wrist, glaring at the ‘zeros’ in it.

 

Jennie pouted knowing how much the whole soulmate and destiny thing meant to her best friend. “Maybe your soulmate hasn’t been born yet, you know? I mean, look at Wendy and Irene they had a good difference.”

 

“Of three years…” Lisa deadpanned. “I don’t know, maybe I should try Tinder.”

 

“It’s not a bad idea.” Jennie said and then cocked her head to the side. “You think maybe I should go back to LA and look for my soulmate?”

 

“I thought you believed in free will and all that…”

 

“Well yeah, but I don't want to be stock with just fifteen seconds you know? I want what Tiffany and Taeyeon have, I want fifteen years and counting.”

 

Lisa sighed and nodded. “Me too. I see Tiffany and Taeyeon and Wendy and Irene and I want to believe my soulmate is out there and that they’re trying really hard to find me or… I don’t know maybe I should just stop and start having fun like you.”

 

“See, I’m telling ya. We are given a soulmate and expect to do a whole scavenger hunt to find them? That 's stupid.”

 

-------------------------

 

Lisa was too late to make it to the train she usually took home. She had stayed and the dance studio later than expected, one of her students needed some extra help to nail down the movements so she stayed behind to make sure she understood them. And it was fine she didn’t mind, she liked doing it but it was the down side of it that she hated.

 

She could call an uber, but that would be expensive as hell as the only person she knows with a car in the city is Tiffany but she’s back in LA due to work, so her second option was Minnie, she knew the city better than anyone see if she can give her directions on how to get back home.

 

“Take the bus.”

 

“Minnie The bus works with passes I don’t have…”

 

“0801, that’s my code.”

 

“Don’t they check ID’s?”

 

“Dude, chill. The don’t check IDs, just make sure to get off at Lion Drive St., Miyeon will be there to take you home.”

 

Lisa sighs. “Okay… Thanks Nich.”

 

“No worries.”

 

That’s how Lisa finds herself on the bus, and it was the moment she took the first step inside that she knew. She could feel her heart beating, the palms of her hands getting slightly sweaty and most importantly she could feel the infamous tingling on her wrist.

 

She sat down, trying to keep calm, she rolled up her sleeve, closed her eyes and took a deep breath..

 

“Ok, on three.” She whispered.

 

One.

 

00:000:00:03:57

 

Two.

 

00:000:00:04:18

Three

 

00:000:00:04:57

 

There it was, her clock was running, it was no longer in zero, changing with each second that passed.

 

“Holy .”

 

She raised her head and looked around. It was a busy time, most people getting off at this hour so there was probably around twenty - twenty five people on the bus and one of them was her soulmate. She had finally met them… whoever they were.

 

An older gentleman reading on his tablet? No, Lisa could see part of his clock from where she was, it had been running for a long time. A mother with a baby on her lap? No, as sas as it was her clock had stopped and it was no longer running. A pretty blonde with earphones in, curled up on her seat and sleeping? Maybe, she couldn’t see her clock as the girl was laying on her arms. A tattooed man with a mohawk? God, she hoped not.

 

“First stop!”

 

Lisa jolted up in her seat and made her way down the aisle, getting off the bus.

 

She checked her clock again:

 

00:000:00:25:57

 

“Hey Lis!” Miyeon, Minnie’s soulmate, called out from her car.

 

“Hey.” She greets back, her mind still reeling and still processing the turn of events.

 

“How was the ride?”

 

Lisa trailed her clock with her finger. “Interesting.”

 

That was an understatement. Who would’ve thought? Out of all places she meets her soulmate on a bus full of people. She felt hopeful.

 

-----------------------

 

Lisa gets on the bus the following day too and sits next to a woman she recognized from the day before, she struck conversation with her and was glad to find the woman’s clock had been running for some time, not that she has anything against it but she was glad her soulmate was not a middle-aged woman.

 

This goes on for a week until Minnie finally buys her, her own bus pass. Everyday she all but runs to the bus stop, smiling at the driver when she got on and always sitting next to someone still trying to figure out if they were their soulmate.

 

Today’s victming a scary looking woman writing furiously on her phone. She was very pretty but she hoped she wasn't, the woman was too cold and scary looking for her liking.

 

“Hi.” She said, nervously.

 

The woman looks up briefly and then looks back to her phone. “Hey.”

 

“Nice weather, right?”

 

“Uh, sure.”

 

Lisa nodded. “So… what’s your name?”

 

“Jessica and I have a girlfriend, who is my soulmate.”

 

Lisa sighed audibly and defeated on her seat. “Damn it.”

 

Jessica turns to look at her with a raised eyebrow. “You are that dissapointed?”

 

“I’m sorry.” Lisa apologized, quickly. “I just… my clock started running up when I got on this bus a week ago…”

 

“Oh.” The woman said. “I met my soulmate on this bus, too.”

 

“Really?” Lisa perked up, maybe there was hope she could find whoever her soulmate was.

 

“Yeah, I lot of people say having a soulmate is stupid, but I think they are just upset they haven’t found theirs.” Jessica said, putting her phone away. “At first you guys will feel awkward, I know I did around Yuri, but then it gets better and you start seeing why the universe wanted you together.”

 

Lisa nodded. “Like you get someone you need.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“First stop!”

 

Lisa gets off the bus, and like all the other days, she does not meet her soulmate that day, but thanks to Jessica she feels motivated and even more hopeful to meet them.

 

-----------------------------

 

“Thank you for calling YG Energy Solutions, my name is Lisa, how may I assist you today?”

 

“Um, my bill is kind of high and I… I’m not really home that much.”

 

Lisa rolled her eyes, yet another customer claiming their bill is too high for no reason at all and swearing they only use one light bulb and the microwave.

 

“Sorry to hear that ma’am. Let me log into your account.”

 

“I really don’t mean to sound like a Karen but the difference really is too high compared to last time.”

 

Lisa chuckled at that, she had to give it to her that was clever and original.

 

“Okay, Let’s see…” She logs in and the woman was actually right her bill was way too high compared to her past energy usage. “Seem you are correct ma’am. I’ll have someone go to your place to check your meter, I suggest unplugging anything you are not using could be an energy surge from a bad wire or something.”

 

“Oh. Okay, that has never happened before.

 

“Believe it or not it’s pretty common.”

 

“Well, thank you.”

 

“No problem.” Lisa bit her lip here came the part she hated the most. “Before you go I see you are eligible for our summer plan would you be interested in acquiring the plan? It would protect all your electronic devices in case of any power outage and…”

 

“I just called to complain about my bill being ridiculously overcharged and you want to sell me something else?”

 

“Um…” Lisa swallowed. “Yes?”

 

There is a pause on the line. “You are being recorded aren’t you?”

 

“Um, no?”

 

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

 

“O..ok?”

 

“Well, you saved from starving until the next paycheck comes, So thank you, Lisa.”

 

Another pause.

 

“So say your thing.”

 

“My thing?”

 

“Yeah, the next part of the script so you get a good call score.”

 

“Ah…” Lisa chuckled, shaking her head. “I’m glad I could help you with your overcharged bill, Miss Park, is there anything else I can help you with today?”

 

-----------------------

 

That same day Lisa went to lunch feeling better than before. That was probably the best call she has had in a while, it was rare to get any nice customers especially during the summer surge, what everybody being irritated due to the heat plus the customer service team losing their patience over the non stopping calls from people complaining that “Their bill is too high.”

 

“Seulgi found her soulmate yesterday.” Jennie tells her. “She was at the market and her clumsy fell right on top of a hot lady staining spilling kimchi all over her shirt.”

 

“I’m not surprised.” Lisa said with a laugh.

 

“The girl has been smitten ever since, can’t stop looking at her phone.” Jennie said pointing to the vending machine where their coworker was dumbly staring at her phone. “Man.” Jennie sighed. “With you looking everywhere and Seulgi doing that I’m slowly convincing myself I should get a ticket to LA.”

 

Lisa chuckled. “I just want what Irene has, what Taeyeon has, what that girl I met at the bus has.”

 

“Okay, you know you got it super simple right?”

 

Lisa frowned. “What do you mean?”

 

“Lali, you met your soulmate on the bus, you said you clock stop running the moment you get off the bus so that means you get off first.”

 

“Ookay…”

 

“God you really are a lovable idiot.” Jennie mumbled. “Just stay on the bus, Lisa, observe each and every person that gets off the bus and the moment your clock stops, then you’ll know who it is.”

 

Lisa stopped eating, eyes wide as she looked at Jennie. “Bro… you are so smart.”

 

----------------------

And wait she did, she never got off the bus.

 

She sat at the very back looking back and forth between her clock and the person leaving so she’d notice the moment her clock stop running.

 

At every stop Lisa watched them all get off, the middle-aged woman, the mother, the old man, Jessica until only the blonde with the headphones remained. Her heart started beating fast as she looked down and noticed her clock was still running so there was two options:

 

Option one, her soulmate was the thirty year old driver.

Option two, the pretty blonde who was always sleeping.

 

“Last stop!”

 

The blonde got off her seat and Lisa quickly followed through. Once she’s out of the bus, Lisa looks down and notices her clock was still running.

 

“You’re...my soulmate.”

 

Lisa looked up at the soft angelic voice to see a literal angel standing next to her with her wrist exposed.

 

“Wh..what?”

 

The girl blushed. “I… you… soulmate?” She said pointing at her wrist.

 

Lisa got it then looking at the blonde’s wrist and then at her own both showing the exact same number.

 

“Holy ”

 

“Um...Lisa?”

 

The thai girl frowned. “Yes?”

 

The girl giggled at her confused face. “I complained about my bill being too high the other day. I got mad you tried to sell me a plan.”

 

Lisa was racking her brain thinking of who this woman could possibly be, she attended hundreds of calls but then if she focuses...that voice, she doesn’t think she can forget it, that call remained in her mind all day.

 

“Oh..Oooh… Miss Park?” Lisa asked.

 

“Chaeyoung.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” Lisa repeated with a smile as if trying out the name. She liked it.

 

“Um… want to walk me home?”

 

Lisa smiled even bigger. “I’d love to.”