You'll Ask For Me / Jenlisa

Words are all I have (to take your heart away)

A/N: Rewrite again! After this a smol Chaennie story. I should say this is based on a song called "You'll Ask For Me." by Tyler Hilton

---------

Jennie was standing outside the club just like she does every Thursday night, she has been doing so for the past three months, is not that she didn’t like clubbing or that she wasn’t having fun, but sometimes it was a little overwhelming for her to be surrounded by so many people with really loud music, she just needed a little bit of  silence and peace before going back in all though there’s times like tonight when she just goes home, her friends leaving her to her own devices after leaving with a dude they just met, not that she though there was anything wrong with that, but Jennie wasn’t like that she’s not one for games.

She was about to walk back in when someone came out of the club, the brunette smiled knowing who it was, she never failed to be there providing the woman some company.

“Hey! Fancy seeing you here…can’t say I’m surprised.” the brown eyed girl said, a smile adorning her face, Jennie turned to look at her taking her in before answering, she was taller than her, had the most amazing eyes she’d ever seen, ash-brown flowing long hair and the most beautiful smile the brunette had ever seen, this time she was dressed in black skinny jeans, combat boots and a white V-neck.

“Hi, you took longer than usual I was beginning to think you weren’t coming out.” Jennie said looking at her, if you ask her she will probably deny it but Jennie actually looked forward to seeing Lisa every Thursday, although her friends and family tell her to stay away from her, she liked the younger girl even with the kind of reputation she had.

“Are you kidding? I’d never miss one of our Thursday night talks” Lisa answered, her hands in the front pockets of her jeans, looking at Jennie directly in her eyes “So it’s been a week since I asked about those dancing classes, do you… have an answer now?” she asked trying to look normal and not nervous at all, although Jennie could see see her taping her fingers on the side of her leg.

“Why is it so important for you that I say yes, am I that bad of a dancer?” Jennie asked smiling , she was actually curious because Lisa has been asking her to go with her to a dancing class ever since Jennie mentioned it last week, she’s not sure why she’s hesitating to say yes, the younger girl had been nothing but nice to her, sending the occasional text with a funny joke or asking her how she is, visiting her at the small grocery shop she worked at, Lisa’s not one for trying so hard with a girl, or at least not according to her reputation. So she was unsure as to why she was trying this hard.

Hope you let your intuition , precede my reputation 'cause I have one

“Well you said going to a dance class with someone would mean spending more time with them and you’ll get to know them better… and it would be a good place to start a friendship with someone, and honestly who knows maybe it could turn into something more… and I don´t know maybe I could be that someone…so what do you say?” asked the brown eyed girl, Jennie’s heart started beating faster at the thought of spending more time with Lisa, and hearing the younger girl say she wants the same thing well… her heart was doing back flips, but again Lisa had a reputation as a player and all though her heart was telling her otherwise she couldn’t help but think everyone is right, she should stay away from Lisa.

“Ok, one class... will see how it goes and take it from there.” She find herself answering, her heart feels like she did the right choice but her head is telling her she made a terrible mistake, at this point she wasn’t sure which one was right, hopefully she can figure it out soon.

Well, if this is love then it’s hard to say, with your notes and your books and your reaching away, I've confidence issues with your intentions

Lisa and Jennie have been going to dance classes for a month now, Jennie had gotten to know Lisa better and she has to say she was pleasantly surprised, there was more to Lisa than what you initially saw,  she is still a little cautious about Lisa’s intentions so when Lisa asks her out on a official date she’s weary about saying yes, which is why you’ll always find Lisa at exactly 12.00 p.m. outside of Jennie’s job with a present on her hands, whether it was flowers or chocolates or hell even Jennie’s favorite drink,  she’ll also come back, five minutes before Jennie’s shift ends to walk her home. If Jennie had classes Lisa could be found outside waiting for her to walk her home or walk her to her other class.

Basically Lisa has been doing everything Jennie asks for the last two weeks waiting for her answer all though if you ask Lisa she’d say she feels as if the younger girl was taking advantage of her and hopes Jennie is not just leading her on only to reject her at the end of the day and if you ask Jennie she’ll say that’s not the case she just wants to be sure before saying yes although she does enjoy having Lisa following her like a lost puppy, for her it means that she cares.

But the more time passes the more Lisa gets insecure about Jennie’s intentions, she’s not an idiot she knows the kind of reputation she has, people see her as a daddy’s girl, living off her dad’s money, she’s dropped out of college twice, granted she was expelled but hey she knows everything there is to know about business from her dad so there’s that,  and unfortunately every girl she rejects ends up telling everyone how much of an she is, how she used them for and that’s it, but really that’s not the case at all, so you see is all rumors, and she knows Jennie knows about said rumors and that she’s been told numerous times about how she should stay away from her, so she understands where Jennie is coming from but she just hopes the brown-eyed girl will find it in her heart to see Lisa the way she really is not the way everyone says she is. Surely Lisa’s proven herself by now right?

“So you have two dogs, Kuma and Kai?” asked Lisa, her hands on her back pockets. She was walking Jennie back home as per usual, asking her whatever she could, wanting to learn everything she could about the brunette.

“Yeah,  I have dogs, one’s two and the other one is five.” Said Jennie, she kept glancing at Lisa as they walked, the younger girl listening intently to what she was saying, it was the first time she felt like someone actually cared about what she had to say. Even if it was something as trivial as how many dogs she has.

“You know, I wanted a bear at some point.” Finished the brunette.

“You wanted a bear? Did you grow up in the woods?” Asked the younger girl jokingly.

“No!”  She said shoving the younger girl lightly, “I just like animals.” 

“I have a cat, well cats..” The younger girl shared.. “Leo, Luca and Lily.” 

“Do you not like dogs?.” The brunette responded placing her hand on the younger girl’s arm.

“I do like them..” She shrugged. “But I dunno guess having cats it’s somewhat easier. ”  The both of them kept walking silently for a few moment before the silence was broken by Lisa telling another ridiculous story from when she was in Thailand.

Lisa was so good at making Jennie smile and really everyone and everything around Jennie tells her that Lisa was supposed to be that charming and that Jennie was definitely not supposed to fall for it, but it was impossible not to appreciate every little thing that the younger girl was doing. She felt bad about leading Lisa on when she wasn’t sure what she wanted, but it was nice seeing Lisa everyday, talking to her. She loved how caring Lisa was, honestly it seemed Jennie’s heart was winning.

And I'm not hip to all your tricks with your algebra and your politics and the band has planned a hotel intervention.

Jennie said yes, to say Lisa was excited was an understatement she was going crazy planning everything to a T, little did Lisa know Jennie was about to cancel on her. Jennie has been hearing complaints and warnings from her friends non-stop and one in particular came to her mind:

“You’re going on a date with Lisa Manoban?! Jennie the girl is a player! You can see it all over the news.”  Her roommate said.

“They are just rumors, okay? I admit I was a little weary about going out with her, but she’s different, we’ve been hanging out a lot and she is not the way everyone thinks she is” answered Jennie defending the younger girl.

“If she’s not that way, then why did I see her getting a girl in her car last night?” 

Standing anonymous hoping your heart will just wake up and ask for me by name

maybe someday you'll ask for me by name just not today.

Lisa was making sure the reservation for that night was still in place when someone came knocking on her door, she left the phone on the table taking a zip of her water before answering the door.

“Jennie” she said surprised 

“Hi, I just… um.. I came to…” Jennie wasn’t looking at Lisa and the smile on the hazel-eyed girls face slowly disappeared… she could feel the rejection coming.

“You’re cancelling on me aren’t you?” asked Lisa, the hurt in her eyes clearly visible, and the way Jennie seem to be avoiding her eyes confirmed Lisa’s suspicions “Let me guess someone told you she saw me and some other girl last night and you think that confirms your suspicions of me, right? Lalisa Manoban the player, daddy’s girl, the one who is not able to be in a relationship.” Lisa laughed bitterly, looking at Jennie with what the brown eyed girl could guess what hurt and disappointment.

“It’s just… why do want a relationship with me?” asked Jennie looking at Lisa for the first time “Have you ever been in a relationship?” she continued.

“Yes I have Jennie, twice actually, the first one ended because she moved away, and the second one was with Wendy.” she answered honestly.

“Why did you broke up? You cheated on her?” the brown eyed girl was scared to hear the answer to that question

“She’s was my best friend, she knows me better that anyone and yet she didn’t trust me, she grew tired of the rumors, and the stupid fake stories everyone in this stupid town tends to share, it was too much for her.” Lisa sighed “If my best friend didn’t trust me enough to date me, then how can I expect you to? I know the kind of reputation I have Jennie, I’m not stupid, and the worst part is I did nothing to gain that reputation, I’m not a player, I don´t sleep with girls and then leave them, I’m not a daddy’s girl, my dad made me earn every cent I have, I work my off everyday to prove that I’m not the girl everyone thinks I am but somehow I always lose” 

Jennie couldn’t look at Lisa,  she didn’t want to see the hurt on Lisa’s eyes and know that it was her who caused it, but she could hear Lisa’s voice and she could hear how tired Lisa sounded, like she was done fighting…

“I tried Jennie, God knows I did ever since you stepped foot in that club four months ago I knew I liked you, and I tried to get you out of my mind but I couldn’t so I made it my mission to prove to you and show you who I really was, and for a moment there I thought I had succeeded, I thought you would be able to see past everyone else’s opinion and just see me for me but I see now, that that’s not the case” Lisa voice was serious and the she wasn’t bothering to hide the disappointment and heartbreak in her voice, Jennie looked up to look at Lisa only to find the girl looking straight back at her, her brown eyes glassy, her voice thick with emotion, and that’s when Jennie knew she had made a mistake, she should’ve never listened to her brain she should’ve listened to her heart, and now Lisa was giving up and that was all her fault.

“Lisa…I…” she opened and closed not knowing what to say.

“You believing those rumors tells me that I’m standing here as someone you don’t really know and I’m just hoping one day you'll find it in your heart to see the real me, I hope that one day you’ll be able to see me as me, the girl who has been walking you home everyday, the girl who likes stupid jokes, the girl who loves dancing, that talks in silly voices to her cats,, because that’s who I am Jennie, I am what you see, I am what you want me to be. But it seems you really rather see what everyone else wants you to.” Lisa put her hand on Jennie’s cheek she leaned in, kissing her forehead “Hope one day you find what you are looking for..” 

Standing anonymous hoping your heart will just wake up and ask for me by name

Maybe someday you’ll ask for me by name just not today.

-------------------------

It’s been three days since the date with Lisa was supposed to happen, and since then there had been no word from her, no visit, no goofy texts, nothing. Jennie misses it. Not the gifts in particular but just the simple details of knowing someone out there cared about her enough to send her a text every morning, or knowing that someone out there was thinking of her or was reminded of her when they saw something funny or something she liked. She missed Lisa’s presence in general.

She had gotten so used to seeing Lisa everyday that just two days without her presence felt like a lifetime and she had no one else to blame but herself. Specially since she was still unsure of whether she made the right decision or not.  Worst part is she had no one to talk to about it as pretty much everyone was against the idea of her seeing Lisa .

Jennie couldn't focus on her task at hand, she was supposed to be restocking the shelves, looking at the clock she noticed it was 12:00 p.m. being a Monday meant she had four more hours left of her shift and she could leave, sighing she try to continue the task at hand until the bell above the door rang, signaling a new customer, for just one second she thought maybe the younger girl had come, but when the familiar face of her friend Jisoo appeared she couldn't help the disappointment showing up in her eyes.

“Wow, am I that ugly?” Her friend said jokingly.

Jennie rolled her eyes. “No. Just thought you were someone else.” She said while turning back to the shelves.

“A certain tall, hot, thai girl maybe?”  Jisoo said with a raised eyebrow her arms crossed. “Sorry to break it to you but she’s a tad busy practicing with Chaeyoung, those two and their music I swear…” she said rolling her eyes. “One day I’ll get my girlfriend to choose me over band practice.”

“Right… busy.” Jennie mumbled, before taking a deep breath. “So where you at Lisa’s place?” She asked trying to appear disinterested.

“Mhmm. I went to get Chaeyoung’s student card so I could get into the design building and print some flyers.” She said, pulling one of them out her bag. “And that’s why I’m here.” She said pointing at it.

Taking the flyer Jennie frowned confused.  “Simba got lost?” she asked Jisoo. “That cat goes in and out of the house as it pleases.” She continued. Simba being the sorority house unofficial mascot, arriving one day and deciding to stay after being fed by everyone in the house. “How is he lost?”

“He hasn’t been around in a couple of days, and Irene has been a pain in the about this, so please I beg of you take the rest of the day and pass those around?” Said Jisoo pleadingly.

“Ok. One, what do I get in return? and two what are you going to do?”  asked the brunette.

“Ok, as your boss I should say, one, do what I say, two, none of your business.” Said Jisoo seriously, before grinning. “But as your friend, one, a day off, which ever you want even if its a busy one, pay included. Two, I’m taking care of the store while you are away.” She said with a smile.

“Deal.” Said the brunette, removing her apron. “Guess I’ll go look for a cat.

----------------------------------------------------

After a couple of hours walking around and giving out flyers, Jennie figures it’s time for a break, so she heads to her favorite coffee place ready for a nice cup of coffee and ready to get rid of the few flyers she has left while she’s there. As she walks in she see’s Lisa walking towards the door with a flyer in her hand, they stare at each other for a second before Jennie decides to break the silence. “So are you here looking for Simba too?” she tries to ask casually, her heart beating a mile a minute.

Lisa takes a second to answer before chuckling. “Jennie, I’m just here for some coffee.”  She shrugs. “This was given to be my the cashier.” She says while walking out the door.

Jennie can only stare at the girl as she walked away with regret, before remembering she hasn’t been in the coffee shop today and as far as she’s concerned she’s the only one giving out flyers and looking for that damn cat, so she heads over to the cashier to confirm her suspicions. “Hi, can I leave a couple of these here for in case your customer’s have seen something?”

“The girl with the red head already did” Said the cashier pointing at the stack of flyers beside the tip jar.

The brunette hurriedly walks out of the store and as soon as she does, she sees Lisa a couple of feet away, throwing the brand new coffee cop to the trash and taking out some flyers from her messenger bag to give to people. The brunette can only keep looking at the retiring figure with a soft smile on her face, maybe she did make the wrong choice, and maybe just maybe she knows how to fix it. 

-------------------------------------------

As Lisa walks out of her apartment building, she heads towards her motorcycle until something makes her stop and takes her by surprise. Right there in front of her is none other than Jennie Kim as she walks closer the brunette girl gives her a soft smile and hands her a cup of what? she doesn’t know.

“For you.” Says the brunette.

“Um.. what is this?” Asks the younger girl confused.

“Milk Coffee, to start your day right.”

“Okay?” 

“Okay. I gotta go. Bye.” Said Jennie giving the younger girl a kiss on the cheek and heading towards her car.

And all Lisa can do is stare at confusedly at the cup releasing a chuckle when she sees the message on it. ‘Have a brew-tiful day :)’ 

By lunch time, Jennie’s class doesn’t end until 3:00 so getting Lisa lunch was out the question, so she settled by texting her.

 

Little Miss Kim 02:01 pm.

 

If you spent the day at the bottom of a well,

would you consider it...well-spent?

 

Lisa 02:05 pm

 

Had to dig deep for that one?

 

Little Miss Kim 02:06 p.m.

 

Yeah, actually it was buried in my memory.

 

Lisa 02:08 pm

 

Well, my puns for this topic are running dry.

 

Little Miss Kim 02:09 p.m.

 

Buckets, let’s start over.

 

Lisa 02:10 pm

 

 

Lisa 02:10 pm

 

Are we still talking about wells?

 

Little Miss Kim 02:10 p.m.

 

Maybe…

 

Little Miss Kim 02:10 p.m.

 

No…

 

Little Miss Kim 02:11 p.m.

 

Can we meet?  So we can talk?

 

Lisa 02:25 pm

 

I’m busy. 

 

Little Miss Kim 02:26 p.m.

 

Let me know when you are free?

 

Lisa 02:25 pm

 

Ok.

 

Jennie stared silently at her phone, with a deep sigh she placed the phone face down on the desk, once again berating herself for being stupid and and letting Lisa go. She sighed again and this time she caught someone else’s attention.

“Lisa still giving you the cold shoulder?” 

Jennie turned to see who was talking to her, sitting beside her was Chaeyoung who was drawing something on her notebook.

“Yes… do you happen to know something about it?” She asked casually

“I do, but why should I tell you? You did hurt my best friend pretty badly. ” Chaeyoung said looking up from her notebook.. 

“Because I’m your girlfriend’s best friend and you don’t want to piss her off..” She said with a smile.

“You are also the girl who lets everybody else's opinion dictate her love life.” She says with a smile as well.

“I know! I screwed up! But can you stop being an for a second and tell me how I can fix it?” The brunette asked.

Chaeyoung sighed. “For the sake of my relationship and because I want my happy best friend back I’ll tell you…” She closes her notebook and start picking her things up. “Just show her that you see her as her and not as whatever everyone else wants you to see her like.” 

“I do see her!” Jennie exclaimed.

The taller girl picked her bag and stood up before turning around to look at Jennie. “Right, but does she know that?” 

---------------------------------------

‘That’s who I am Jennie, I am what you see, I am what you want me to be’

Jennie thought to her last conversation with Lisa, holding the styrofoam cup in her hand and a piece of paper in the other, she takes a deep breath before walking in to Lisa’s rehearsal space having the key given to her by Chaeyoung. 

Walking in she sees the younger girl sitting on the piano, the soft glow of the afternoon sun reflecting of off her. Golden hour indeed. The younger girl so caught up in her music she doesn’t realize she has a spectator.

Jennie only stays by the door admiring the younger girl and listening to her, the soft piano notes filling the room followed by the younger girl’s voice.

From the atlas, Take me far

Leave me reckless, Off the map

Turn the paper, Don't bring me back

 

My eyes see you

I see you but you don't see me

My eyes see you, but….

The musician gets interrupted by Jennie almost tripping with a cable on the floor as she walked closer to the younger girl. “Would it kill to to tidy up the place a little?” She said composing herself.

“Jennie?” The younger girl greeted confusedly.

“, Sorry. This place is amazing.” She said with an awkward smile.

“What are you doing here?” Lisa asked standing up from the piano and crossing her arms.

“I brought you some coffee because I figured at this time you’re probably running low. Also I need you to sit down and hear me out.” She said placing the cup on a stool and tapping said stool. The younger girl confused and unwilling to survive another hour without coffee obeys the shorter girl and sits down.

“Okay here we go…” The brunette mumbles to herself before standing in front of Lisa and taking out the piece of paper.

“I know a messed up, and I know I hurt you, and I know I only have myself to blame, and I also know that I want to fix it, and I want you to see that I do see you and I really like what I see, and here are some examples.¨ rambled the brunette before looking at the paper.

“One: I like that you are good coffee maker.  Two: You make me laugh like no other person can.. Three: you let me complain all I want, and actually listen, even providing your input.” Lisa chuckled, letting Jennie continue already knowing where the brunette was going with this. “Four: You are an amazing dancer, but very bad a competition is really cute to see you try, which leads to me to point five: you are relentless, a fighter. Six: You’re insanely beautiful and really hot. Seven: You watch the movies, I want to watch. Eight: You are a genuine good person, not like those s who pretend to be good so people can say they are good, but good as in you helping people without asking for credit. Nine: there are so many different sides of you, and I’m fortunate enough to have seen a few of them. Over all you are the girl who never gave up on me, who went to dancing classes even if she didn’t need them, who helped cleaning the store I worked out because some made a mess. who knows my coffee order, who likes me even though I’m bossy and sometimes a , the girl who…”

“Okay, Jennie, I think I get it.” The younger girl grinned.

“I just want you to know that I do see you, the real you, not what everyone else wants me to see, and I want you to know that I like what I see and that’s all want you to be, just you, because the you that you’ve showed me it’s pretty perfect.”

Lisa gave her a meaningful look, standing up from the stool and walking towards the brunette, she took her hands in hers and gave her a slight kiss on the forehead. “I believe you.” She said before closing in and placing her lips above the brunette’s both of her hand going up to cup the shorter girl’s face. She her cheek with the thumb, while the brunette placed her hands on the Lisa’s arms, her smile breaking the kiss.

The two of them looked at each other for a moment with smile on their faces before the brunette interrupts the silence. 

“So about that date…”