Chapter 31

Just A Typical High School Drama (Completed)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You may enter now your highness," the female secretary told Jennie. The woman then opened the large oak doors to the chairman's office.

"You came to see me child," the man behind the large Brazilian rosewood desk said. It was more of a statement than a question.

"Err, yes sir," Jennie replied, feeling a little intimidated. She was in the Manoban Corp building in the central business district.

"Take a seat Jennie," Chairman Manoban gestured to one of the leather armed chairs in front of him and Jennie sat down immediately.

"So what brings you here?" he asked a little more gently this time.

Plucking up her courage, Jennie took a deep breath before she answered. She was after all in front of the most influential man in the business world, a ruthless business tycoon.

"Lisa's birthday is coming up sir," she started.

There was an uncomfortable pregnant pause before the chairman finally answered.

"Why yes. How time flies..." he said.

There was another awkward silence between them, and Jennie broke it.

"When was the last time you celebrated Lisa's birthday with her?" Jennie asked more daringly. Her question surprised Chairman Manoban greatly. He had a very shocked look plastered on her aging face.

"It... It has been quite a while..." he replied after thinking for a long time.

"Why? Do you hate her?" Jennie asked. "Do you blame her for her mothers’ death?" Jennie was very direct. Her earlier fears had diminished. She only wanted to understand the peculiar old man in front of her.

And again, Chairman Manoban was taken back by Jennie's complete lack of tact.

"You know about Chitthip." Again, it wasn't a question. It was a statement.

"You hate your daughter. You think she's to blame," Jennie continued.

"What makes you say that?" Chairman Manoban asked thoughtfully.

"What makes me say that?" Jennie echoed back. "Even a blind man can see that you have something against your own daughter! You have treated her with nothing but coldness! Lisa doesn't have to tell me that you hate her because your actions already show it!"

There was another moment of silence.

"L-Lisa, she... she thinks I hate her?" Chairman Manoban asked in disbelief. "Does it appear that way to you?"

"It appears that way even to the blind," Jennie replied.

"... ... I-I've been a terrible father haven't I?" he said sadly.

Jennie didn't say anything. She waited for him to continue.

"It's... It's not that I didn't want to celebrate my daughter’s birthday with her or something. It was just... It was just too painful... She looked so much like her... Whenever I look at Lisa, I see her... I don't hate her. I could never hate her, she's my daughter. Goodness... What have I done?" he said as he buried his face in his hands. "I was in so much pain when she left... I never blamed her. It wasn't her fault. It was heaven's will... But she was a reminder of her to me, so I pushed her away... I buried myself in work... And neglected her... What kind of a father am I?" The chairman was full of remorse and sadness as he hunched back, reflecting and regretting his past actions.

"It's not too late," Jennie told him. "It's never too late. Lisa, she... she's still waiting for you."

 

... ... ...

 

"Is it time yet?" Marco asked Jennie as he peered into the oven. He and Jennie were baking a cake for Lisa's birthday. No one knows how Jennie managed to get the Chairman of Manoban Corps to bake.

"Err... I don't think so..." Jennie replied as she peered into the oven as well to check the progress of the cake. "The book says one hour... but it has only been thirty minutes..."

"It looks burnt. Is it supposed to look like this?" Marco asked again.

"Well... It's a chocolate cake isn't it? It's supposed to look brown?" Jennie replied.

"Brown? It looks a bit black to me..." Marco stated.

"Oh shoots! I think it really is burnt!" Jennie exclaimed.

Minutes later...

"Is it edible?" Marco asked. The black cake- resembling a rock- merely thudded heavily onto the table as Jennie dropped it by accident. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the cake didn't break. It was as hard as a rock.

"Well, I'm sure it's just black outside. We just have to cut the outer layer off and then it'll be edible!" Jennie said optimistically as she looks at their masterpiece.

"Should we just wait for Seungri to come back?" Ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter