TWENTY FOUR

Easily.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon's posture changed almost immediately upon hearing Mrs. Hwang's words; it sent chills down her spine. She was wrong to think she had nothing to be scared of. But she knew she did nothing wrong, so why was she nervous?

 

"What is it, Mrs. Hwang?" Yewon tilted her head to a side. 

 

"I want to start off by letting you know that I appreciate everything you have done for this company." Mrs. Hwang still had a reassuring smile planted over her lips, her manicured nails sorting through the documents that were just before her. "Especially for the event. This was the first time we've ever won first place."

 

Yewon nodded along with the older woman's words, her leg still bouncing. "No need to thank me, Mrs. Hwang. It's what I love to do."

 

Mrs. Hwang lead her gaze down to the papers again, pressing her lips together so she could spread her lipstick around evenly. "It's obvious you're a great asset to this company, but I need you to answer me one question."

 

There it was. Yewon knew to expect some sort of twisted ending to the other's compliments. "Okay..." The department head agreed. 

 

Slowly, Mrs. Hwang looked into Yewon's eyes more intently. It was different from when she first met Yewon; her eyes used to be welcoming and kind. Why were they so dark now? Why was her gaze so sharp?

 

"Are you and my daughter dating?"

 

Yewon swallowed thickly. She wasn't sure what to say. Eunbi said she wasn't ready to tell her mom about their relationship, but Eunbi wasn't here. What was she supposed to do? She couldn't lie... Could she?

 

"I—"

 

"Don't lie to me," Mrs. Hwang continued with a softer sigh. "I'll find out either way." She grasped her teacup with her hand, taking a gentle sip to relax herself. "A little birdie told me that you two have been together for quite some time now. Is that true?"

 

Yewon cowered from her tone. Mrs. Hwang seemed so friendly the first time they met. Now her words stung, digging deeper into Yewon's skin with each passing second.

 

"Well..." Yewon fiddled with her thumbs, lowering her head, unable to face the woman just before her any longer. "Yes, Mrs. Hwang, your daughter and I are dating."

 

Mrs. Hwang's eyes fluttered shut. She used her thumb and index finger to massage her temples. A migraine was slowly developing and it made her mood even sourer than it already was. "I was afraid you'd say that."

 

Yewon bit the inside of her cheek. "Afraid?"

 

"You seem like a good person," Mrs. Hwang whispered, taking Yewon's hand in her hold to steady her. "But you do understand how high my daughter's status is, right?"

 

Yewon, visibly offended, gradually pulled her hand away. "Yes, I do understand your daughter's significance in the business, but we've spoken about this in private. I don't mean to offend you, Mrs. Hwang, but your daughter's dating life isn't your business any longer. She's an adult."

 

Mrs. Hwang scoffed, leaning back against the leather chair she occupied. "Status isn't the only problem."

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"Look at it this way," Mrs. Hwang spoke in a colder tone while crossing her right leg over the left. "The business she's in is a male-dominated field. If they find out that she was with a woman, several of our partners will walk off. It goes against their beliefs and it goes against ours too."

 

Yewon clenched her jaw firmly. She couldn't believe that Eunbi's mother openly admitted that she was homophobic, completely going against what Eunbi wanted. "Get straight to it then, madame, because I'm sure you aren't finished yet."

 

"You're really something else," Mrs. Hwang chuckled lowly, noticing Yewon's sassiness. "To be straightforward, you and my daughter are done for. She can't be with a woman. I strongly believe that a man will lead her in the right direction."

 

The head of the design department could feel her eyes burning, but she refused to cry in front of Mrs. Hwang, not wanting to give her any more power than she already had at hand. "So you're forcing me to end it with your daughter because you want her with a man..?"

 

Mrs. Hwang nodded. "You're correct, and of course a man who makes as much money as her. We know how you people are. You're probably only dating my daughter for money, right?"

 

"Unbelievable..." Yewon muttered, standing so she could prepare to leave.

 

"Oh," Mrs. Hwang rose her voice to stop Yewon in her tracks. "We're not done yet. I want to make sure you bring none of this up to my daughter. I'll tell her myself." She reached into her purse, taking out her checkbook so she could begin writing. Within seconds, she ripped out a piece easily, offering it to Yewon with a soft smirk. "You're also fired. You'll be receiving a separate check as your last pay through the mail. Think of this check as a thank you for working so hard for this company. We're sad to see you go."

 

Yewon was frozen, feeling completely insulted and degraded. If she didn't have any s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter