TWENTY FIVE

Easily.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where is she?”

 

Mrs. Hwang looked up from her spot, seeming as innocent as the next person. Her shoulders were straight and her posture was picture perfect, unfazed by her own daughter’s attitude. 

 

“Where is who?”

 

“Don’t play dumb,” Eunbi gritted. “All of her belongings in her office are gone, she won’t answer any of my calls, and now the others are saying she left without a word!”

 

“Oh,” Mrs. Hwang chuckled. “You mean that girl in the design department? I fired her.”

 

“You... What?” Eunbi’s arms fell to her side. “I leave for five hours and you fire possibly the most important designer on our team?”

 

Mrs. Hwang couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “Eunbi, I know both of you have been together for these past few months. You really think I’ll let you get away with dating a woman?”

 

Eunbi felt her blood boiling as her fists clenched to her sides. “You have no right to fire any of my employees or tell me who I get to date. I’ve done nothing wrong to you or my father and I deserve the position he gave me even if I didn’t want it in the first place!”

 

Mrs. Hwang still didn’t care. Instead, she focused her gaze on her manicured nails, causing Eunbi to get even angrier. “Eunbi, sweetheart, I have every right to fire whoever I want to. Your father might’ve given you this position, but you don’t control everything fully until you get married to a man. Have you forgotten about that part of the contract already?”

 

Eunbi's jaw clenched firmly. She felt weak once she heard her mother talking about the contract they made for her before she turned eighteen, but she chose to forget about it for the most part. "That contract takes away my freedom-"

 

"You signed it," Mrs. Hwang slipped on her reading glasses, using the mouse to pull up the contract agreements. "It's plain and simple. Yes, this company will be handed to you at the age of eighteen, but you will not receive your full inheritance until you marry someone eligible to become your lifelong partner."

 

"Stop." Eunbi closed her eyes tightly, having to sit herself down. Her blood pressure skyrocketed from anger and as much as she wanted to stand up for herself, she felt fragile. "I can't believe you all convinced me to sign that piece of paper..."

 

Mrs. Hwang sighed. "Eunbi, stop being so dramatic. You'll live. That one girl shouldn't mean much to you." She finally stood, making her way to her daughter to grasp her shoulders from behind, causing Eunbi to stand quickly. "Besides, your father and I are expecting grandchildren to continue running the company. Our hard work would just go to waste if no one was here to continue the business. Don't be selfish. We've done our best to give you the best life, and this is how you repay us?"

 

"You never gave me the best life," Eunbi laughed in disbelief. "You were never here for my school performances, my graduations, and my birthdays. I had our maids and my two friends to help me celebrate. They were more of a family to me than you two will ever be."

 

"Well not everyone can have a perfect family!" Her mother spat in annoyance. "Stop trying to wish for stupid fantasies and start counting your blessings! A lot of people would do anything in their power to have your position!"

 

Eunbi shook her head slowly now, her arms folded across her chest. "And what if I break the contract?"

 

"What?"

 

"You heard me," Eunbi murmured, trying to fight back her tears. "What if I break the contract?"

 

Mrs. Hwang grasped her jacket so she could slip it over her arms, preparing to leave. "Simple. You lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter