FOURTEEN

Easily.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sorry," Yewon quickly apologized as she slipped her house slippers back on, offering the extra pair to her boss. "It's not much. It's a studio apartment so the only separate room is the bathroom."

 

Eunbi pushed her shoes off slowly, sliding her feet into the pink furry slippers Yewon gave her. The small gesture and the general aesthetic of the shoes themselves made her crack a shy smile. Of course Yewon owned a pair of fluffy house slippers.

 

"Don't apologize," Eunbi shook her head, slipping off her jacket once Yewon pulled it off of her to hang. "It's cute and cozy." Her eyes wandered as she walked around, focusing on the family pictures her assistant had hanging along her white walls. The apartment screamed 'Yewon,' the interior decorations proved it. 

 

The kitchen was small, making it the perfect size for one person to cook in while the living room only had one (massive) couch. There was a small flat-screen TV and a DVD player as well which Yewon most likely used when she was bored. 

 

"I'll be back." Yewon shuffled away after placing the plastic bag on top of the coffee table just across the couch, returning minutes later with bottles of soda in her hands. "Sorry if it isn't alcohol. I don't really drink."

 

Eunbi shrugged in response, lowering herself so she was seated on the couch, keeping her focus on the few picture frames around the apartment. "Is that your family?"

 

Yewon nodded. Her hands were busy with unpacking and unwrapping the containers from the plastic bag. "I have two older sisters. The oldest is pretty successful, but she's super busy, and the other one is a runaway rock star."

 

"Runaway rock star?"

 

"Mhm." Yewon hummed. "Our parents weren't supportive of what she wanted to be, which was to be a singer, so she fled home and now she's touring around the world. My parents live in Japan with the oldest since she provides the most money."

 

Eunbi could see the glimpse of loneliness that shimmered in Yewon's eyes. Perhaps they had more in common than she realized. She barely got to see her family and Yewon didn't get to see hers at all. "Do you miss them?"

 

"A lot," Yewon sighed, handing Eunbi a pair of wooden chopsticks so they could eat together. "I call them now and then just to see how they're doing. They seem happy though."

 

"Mm," Eunbi nodded. "I miss mine too, but sometimes they can be pretty annoying. They always try to meddle with my work as if I haven't been doing this since I was young."

 

Both laughed softly as they ate, but silence soon took over. All they could hear was the sound of their own chewing and sipping. Eunbi placed her chopsticks down after she finished, looking at Yewon again.

 

"Can I know why you were mad at me?" Eunbi sounded like a child, her tone filled with innocence and guilt even though she knew that she did nothing wrong. "I'm not that good at context clues, but if I did something wrong, I'd like to know so I won't repeat the same mistake."

 

Yewon wiped her lips after they both finished the food before settling down beside her boss. "To tell you the truth, you didn't do anything wrong."

 

Eunbi was beyond confused, straightening up slowly from her slumped position. "I don't understand. Then why did you ignore me for so long?"

 

"Eunseo." Yewon couldn't lie any longer. Eunbi deserved to know the truth. "That same day you two went out for lunch with your business partners, we both stayed late at work. She told me things like how I could mess up your whole career just because of being seen in public together, or how we both like spending time with each other..."

 

"And you believed her?" Eunbi frowned.

 

"I didn't want to, but I did." Yewon grasped Eunbi's forearm this time so she wouldn't feel too upset. "I was scared, Eunbi. I didn't want to put your career on the line. In their eyes, I'm just your assistant. It'd look pretty bad if the public found out that your assistant has feelings for you."

 

Eunbi froze now, her cheeks turning red. Did Yewon just confess?

 

"You..." Eunbi trailed off, internally feeling giddy. "You have feelings for me?"

 

Yewon placed her hand over her lips when she realized what she spouted. She was embarrassed and refused to face Eunbi. "Please ignore what I said."

 

"No," Eunbi quickly shook her head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter