King of the South: Chapter 5

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

King of The South

Chapter 5

 

 

Seulgi felt dread overcome her.

Are they going to the Southern Kingdom? She could already see the wall ahead…

Oh No…

The Southern Kingdom is sealed… V will not be able to follow them there.

Seulgi could feel doom coming.

That’s where Taeyong is taking her!

 

And then she felt an impact on Taeyong’s back. She heard her brother’s voice.

“Stop this Taeyong! What are you doing? Come back to the palace. Let’s talk, Brother!” shouted V. “Let my sister go and talk to me, Taeyong!”

And then another impact on Taeyong’s back. It seems like V is attacking Taeyong to make him stop. But Taeyong is not even slowing down.

“Brother!” shouted V. “Listen to me and come back!”

And then they reached the wall. When Taeyong touched it, the wall opened. And then they went through what seems like a passageway full of veins. Behind them, the wall closed. Seulgi screamed her brother’s name. But no matter how many times she shouted, V could no longer follow them. Taeyong continued to fly. The wall was thick and it took them a long while before they reached the other side of the wall.

And then Taeyong landed on the ground. Seulgi struggled and fought until Taeyong dropped her on the ground, hard.

Seulgi felt like she may have broken a bone. She winced in pain. She was about to reprimand Taeyong when she saw him walking away from her as if she was no one important, someone  he can just leave behind. Seulgi immediately stood up. She felt pain on her ankle and tried to walk by putting her weight on her other foot.

“Wait… Taeyong… wait…”

She does not know this place. And perhaps Taeyong does not know it too. So it’s better to stick together right?

But Taeyong continued walking without sparing her a look. It made Seulgi frustrated and angry.

They were in some kind of forest… It was one of those forests which look haunted and scary.

“Wait…”

He was walking fast. And Seulgi is being left behind. After a while, she could only see Taeyong from afar, he’s getting smaller… that means he’s getting farther. Seulgi released her wings. Flying would help her catch up with Taeyong. She tried to fly and made it near Taeyong.

“Why did you have to bring me here if you’re going to just leave me behind?” shouted Seulgi

But Taeyong continued to ignore her.

And then they reached a river. Taeyong saw a boat and went on it.

“Don’t use your wings here.” said Taeyong.

That was his first word to her since they arrived.

 “You will catch attention.”

Seulgi looked around. Right… this is a place she knows nothing about… it’s not good to catch attention. Seulgi hid her wings. But when she turned to Taeyong, he’s already some distance from the river bank. Seulgi immediately ran towards him.

“Taeyong come back! Don’t leave me here!” she shouted.

But Taeyong ignored her.

Is he really leaving her behind? Why did he abduct her and then leaves her?

Seulgi took a deep breath. She ran after Taeyong, stumbling on the rocky ground as she reached the river. Her knees were bleeding as she stood. But she has to get on that boat. There is no time to wallow on her wounds. Seulgi ran on the river, wincing in pain, getting wet as she braved the waves. She kept shouting Taeyong’s name but he ignored her. The water reached her chest by the time she reached the boat. She thought she could get on the boat but a strong wave fully submerged her under water. Seulgi struggled to come up. She’s not much of a swimmer. Seulgi fought. She couldn’t breath and she felt like she swallowed a lot of water. She did not know how she would come up. She felt so afraid that all she could do was kick. It took her a while but she finally came up the surface.

“Help me up, Taeyong.” called Seulgi.

She saw the boat a distance from her. Seulgi is tired. She could feel the waves hitting her body like painful blows. And she’s losing strength.

With what force remains on Seulgi, she continued following the boat. And when she reached it, she called Taeyong again.

“Please Taeyong… help me up.” said Seulgi, her voice now strained.

Seulgi held the side of the boat waiting for Taeyong to lend her a hand. But after a while, she realized Taeyong is not going to help her.

Seulgi struggled to come up to the boat. It was a difficult feat considering that her arms were shaking. And when she finally climbed up the boat, Seulgi could barely breathe.

Seulgi’s throat is in pain… she’s been shouting Taeyong’s name so many times. Her entire body is trembling. And she felt cold… so cold. She saw her knees. Despite being submerged in water… it was still bleeding. She does not easily cry but right now, why does her eyes sting with tears?

Pathetic. What has become of the dragon princess?

She had faced challenges as a princess… but she has never felt this pitiful.

Seulgi looked up at Taeyong who was standing, his back to her.

Does he not see what is happening to her? She’s hurt… it may look like a shallow wounds on her skin but the wounds made on her heart is deeper.

What is happening to Teayong? The Taeyong she knows will not let this happen. He will take care of her. He will not let her get hurt. He will not let her fight for her life in this river. He will protect her.

But now… he allowed her to get hurt… he allowed her to almost drown, he does not even spare her a glance as if he does not care one bit what happens to her.

Seulgi felt pain slashing through her chest.

This man… he is not Taeyong… Taeyong will never do this to her…

But he is also not the beast …

Then who is he… who is this man who abducted her and brought her to the south?

Will she ever see Taeyong again?

 

----------------

 

Seulgi heard voices and someone shouting. She opened her eyes and was blinded by light. When her eyes focused, she saw so many people around Taeyong and her. She’s being carried again by Taeyong on his shoulder. They were in some kind of castle…. Seulgi could not make up how the entire place looks like.

Where are they? The last she remembered was climbing up the boat.

“Finally! You are back, Your Highness.” said a tall and thin man.

“Kwangsoo, make sure everyone knows I am back.” said Taeyong.

What is going on?

What is Taeyong talking about? Why does he know this man?

“Yes, Your Highness.” said the tall man.

“Who is she, Your Highness?” asked a rather short girl beside the tall man.

“She’s a prisoner, my prisoner.” said Taeyong.

“Should I bring her to the dungeon?” asked the short woman.

“There is an empty room at the top of the castle, isn’t it?” said Tayeong

“Yes, Your highness. It is still empty.” said the woman.

“Put her there, Sunny.” said Taeyong.  

“As you wish.” said the woman

The girl pulled Seulgi down. Seulgi pretended to be asleep. The girl is strong. She carried Suelgi with one arm!

And then Seulgi felt the girl walking… walking and walking… there were several flights of stairs. A door opened. And then she was dropped on the floor. Seulgi winced in pain.

“I don’t know who you are or why you are here.” said the girl named Sunny. “But if you don’t behave, the Master is known to punish most severely.”

And then the girl left the room locking it outside.

Seulgi opened her eyes. It was dark in the room and only a small light came from a very small window. This place is empty and cold… it’s as if she’s locked up in a dungeon. Why did he not just ask her to be brought to the dungeon then? This is not much different.

It was cold… Seulgi’s muscles started trembling.

So she’s right…

She’s a prisoner.

The reason why Taeyong is not showing her any care is because she is now nothing to him but a prisoner.

Is it so easy to throw away the past? Is it so easy to forget it as if the people who were important to you are nothing now?

Taeyong is proving it easy it seems.

Seulgi hugged her knee. She could still see the wounds. She could still feel the clothes a bit wet. She could feel every part of her body aching. She feels tired and weak… she feels sick… and she barely gets sick… a headache is coming now. Seulgi wanted to throw up but she’s also so hungry and thirsty…

And then Seulgi felt tears falling from her eyes.

What is wrong with her? Why does she feel so weak? She used to be such a strong woman… a strong princess who can manage the palace when her brother is out. But now… all she could feel is helplessness…

Why did Taeyong come to this place? Why is he acting like their ruler? Why does he know these people? What does he plan to do with her?

 

Is she ever going to see her Brother and Jisoo again?

 

 

-------------

 

 

Seulgi opened her eyes. She felt weak and in pain. She tried to sit up but even that was a chore. She saw a bowl of what looked like porridge on her side. There was also a glass of water. She was so hungry and thirsty and she’s dizzy…

 

But she could not bear eating the food of the enemies.

 

She will not touch them. If that is her only way to show these creatures that she is not defeated, she will stand her ground. Her pride as the dragon princess will keep her strong.

 

The door opened and a woman came in. She sat beside Seulgi.

 

“You still have not eaten the food I left for you last night.” said the woman.

 

Last night? How long was she asleep?

 

“It’s spoiled now.” said the woman.

 

The woman put a new bowl beside Seulgi. It looks like the same porridge. She also put a new glass of water.

 

“You must eat.” said the woman, her eyes looked so gentle that Seulgi is tempted to eat the food she brought.

 

“Who are you?” asked Seulgi

 

“I am a servant here. I am Yeri.” said the woman. “What is your name?”

 

“Seulgi.”

 

There’s no sense in saying she’s a princess. For these people, she’s just a prisoner.

 

“Why are you here? I heard you are a prisoner. The King was gone for centuries and now he came back, everyone was celebrating. He even brought a prisoner. Everyone is talking about you. Everyone is curious who you are. Why did the King bring you back?” asked Yeri

 

Seulgi knew her presence will cause questions to be raised. But she does not know what Taeyong’s intention for her is. She is not going to reveal herself.

 

“I do not have the answers to your questions. The truth is… I also don’t know what I am doing here.” said Seulgi

 

Yeri sighed,

 

“You look very pale.” said Yeri

 

“I feel… very weak.” said Seulgi

 

Yeri touched Seulgi’s neck.

 

“You are burning up. You should eat the porridge. I am going to bring you some medicine later.” said Yeri

 

“You don’t have to.” said Seulgi. “I am not eating anything from this place. You should not bother bringing me food.”

 

“The King commanded that you be fed. He may get angry if you don’t feed.” said Yeri

 

“Then let him be angry. I do not wish to eat food from this place..” said Seulgi.

 

“You are a brave woman.But I do not think it is good to provoke the King. ” said Yeri. “I need to leave now. I still have many chores today.”

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

And then Yeri left her alone.

 

Seulgi took a deep breath.

 

She is sick. She’s never been this sick in her life. And then she noticed her knees. Her wounds were dressed. It seems like someone had cleaned it and put medicine on it while she was sleeping. She was probably deep in her sleep, she did not even feel anyone touching her.

 

It’s probably Yeri. Yeri must’ve seen her wounds and treated them. It seems like Yeri is not so bad of a person.

 

 

-------------

 

 

Kwangsoo finished his report.

 

“It seems you and Sunny made sure everything was in order while I was away.” said Taeyong

 

“It is all because we know you are coming back, Your Highness.” said Kwangsoo, smiling widely.

 

“Good.” said Taeyong.

 

“Your Highness, you asked me to check on the prisoner you brought.” said Sunny.

 

Taeyong nodded.

 

“She is not eating any food served to her. She also seems to have a fever this morning.” said Sunny.

 

“Even if you have to force her, make her eat something. She is my prisoner. She’ll be useless if she’s dead.” said Taeyong.

 

“I will make sure she eats, Your Highness.”

 

“You said she has a fever?” asked Taeyong

 

“Yes Your highness. The servant who brought food for her noticed the prisoner being sick.” said Sunny.

 

Taeyong’s eyes narrowed.

 

“Make sure she does not die with that fever.” said Taeyong.

 

“I will make sure a healer sees to her soon. But then… there are already a lot of assumptions about the woman you brought, Your Highness. People are talking.” said Sunny

 

Taeyong leaned forward.

 

“Are you telling me I need to explain myself?” asked Taeyong

 

Sunny gulped.

 

“Of course not, Your Highness. I… am only concerned about the gossipers. Many have noticed that the woman is of beauty despite her dirty appearance when she arrived.” said Sunny.

 

Taeyong sighed.

 

“Your Highness… I also share the same concern. I have seen how the other officials have reacted when they saw the woman. I have a feeling that some of them would ask that they may be given an opportunity to spend time with your prisoner.” said Kwangsoo

 

“Spend time? I hope that does not include you, Kwangsoo.” said Taeyong.

 

Kwangsoo’s eyes widened.

 

“Oh… me? Of course not, Your Highness I will never lust after a beautiful woman who seems to have a beautiful body and is drenched wet.” said Kwangsoo, laughing nervously.

 

Taeyong’s jaws clenched. Kwangsoo gulped.

 

“Especially if I do not know what your relationship with her is, Your Highness.” said Kwagsoo

 

“No one is to touch her. She is my prisoner.” said Taeyong. “Mine. Is that understood?”

 

“Yes, Your Highness.” both Sunny and Kwangsoo answered.

 

 

-----------------

 

Seulgi saw Yeri three times that day bringing her food. But she did not eat anything… she did not drink anything…When the healer went to check on her, Seulgi ignored the man. A blanket was also brought to her, but she did not touch it.

 

She will not accept any hospitality from these people. She is a dragon princess. And she will not let her stand bend.

 

For the two days she’s been in here… Taeyong never visited her… not once.

 

It is obvious when they entered the southern kingdom that he does not care about her anymore. He ignored her even when her life was in danger. But she’s stubborn. Her heart is stubborn. She could not accept that he will completely turn his back on her. But today… she had time to think… Being inside this room… sick and weak… Taeyong not showing up even once to check on her only means he really does not care anymore.

 

Taeyong… the Taeyong she knows is gone.

 

Seulgi’s chest ached painfully. She is in agony. She lost a dear friend… a brother…

 

And then the door burst open. It was Sunny and Yeri. And… Taeyong?

 

Yeri held a bowl of porridge with her shaky hands.

 

“Eat it.” said Sunny.

 

Seulgi stared at Taeyong. He stood behind Sunny. He is looking at her. Even at this distance, she could see his cold eyes. He feels no care for her at all.

 

“I refuse to eat anything from this place.” said Seulgi.

 

Seulgi’s vision started blurring. The dizziness is attacking.

 

Sunny held Yeri’s neck and placed her pointy fingernails on Yeri’s neck.

 

“This servant is going to die if you do not eat. Every time you refuse to feed, another servant is going to die.” said Sunny

 

Seulgi felt her blood boiling in anger. They will kill a servant just because she won’t eat a meal?

 

“Taeyong… stop that woman’s foolishness.” said Seulgi, her voice commanding.

 

Sunny slapped Seulgi. Seulgi felt everything around her spin. It took her a while before he could see the people around her again.

 

“Impertinent!” said Sunny. “You must be punished. Death should be upon you for talking like that to the King.”

 

Sunny went back to Yeri.

 

“Be thankful that you are still being kept alive. Now eat or I will kill this servant.” said Sunny.

Taeyong just continued to watch.

 

What is wrong? Taeyong will not allow this. He always protects the weak…He will not just stand by.

 

And then Seulgi noticed something red on Yeri’s neck. Sunny pierced Yeri’s skin.

 

“Stop…” said Seulgi, her voice weak. “Don’t… Stop it.”

 

“Are your going to eat now or do I behead this servant?” asked Sunny

 

Seulgi turned to Taeyong.

 

“Are you really going to allow this, Taeyong? Are you going to let this woman hurt an innocent servant? This servant did nothing wrong. Why is she punished for nothing?” asked Seulgi, her voice faint.

 

“Right now, do you think a life of a mere servant is important? I have the entire Vishox to conquer. There are definitely thousands of lives that will be lost. One servant girl is nothing.” said Taeyong.

 

“No… don’t say that.” said Seulgi. “Please don’t say that.”

 

“I leave this to you, Sunny.” said Taeyong. “Hurry up. I want to meet all the officials and I want you to be there.”

 

“I will be there, Your Highness.” said Sunny

 

Sunny lifted her hand to finish the job.

 

No…

 

Taeyong turned towards the door.

 

“Wait…” said Seulgi. “Don’t hurt her.”

 

Seulgi stood up shakily. And she took the steps towards Yeri. She reached for the bowl in Yeri’s hand. Seulgi took a scoop of the porridge and then she lifted it to .

 

“Keep going.” said Sunny.

 

Seulgi took a deep breath as she took another scoop. And then another. And another. But Sunny did not let Yeri go.  

 

“I don’t have appetite.” said Seulgi. “I can’t eat more than this.”

 

Sunny turned to Taeyong who was by the door.

 

“Your Highness, I will make sure she eats her meals from now on so that she can be of use.” said Sunny.

 

Taeyong nodded. And then he left.

 

Sunny released Yeri and left.

 

Yeri sunk on the floor. Seulgi sat beside Yeri.

 

“I am sorry.” said Seulgi. “Your life was threatened because of me.”

 

Yeri touched her neck and wiped the blood there.

 

“Every servant here is always threatened. So this is nothing new

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter