Dragon King: Chapter 1

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

***I am nervous writing this because a lot of you anticipate this, even I! So... here goes! :D Waahhh!

If you skipped the previous stories and went straight to this one, you may miss some details that was dropped in the previous stories. ;)

 

 

Dragon King Chapter 1

 

It was their second day of travelling inside the wagon. The journey had not been easy so far. The travel from the West to the North goes through several streams and mountains. It was tiring even when they were just sitting inside the wagon the entire time.
Jisoo sighed.
“I’m sure travelling through the wolf form would have been faster.” Said Jisoo. “And a lot less painful. Sitting inside this wagon the entire day pains by behind so much, I would rather walk.”
Irene smiled.
“Need I remind you that you haven’t shifted, sister. Besides, we get to stretch twice a day.” Said Irene, Jisoo’s older sister.
“That’s not enough. I am in pain.” Said Jisoo “Aren’t you?”
“Women should not show their discomfort easily.” Said Irene.
Jisoo stared at Irene as if asking her older sister what is wrong with you?
“Look, Jisoo, Cousin Jinyoung told us the Northern Kingdom is much more formal than what we were used to in the West. We lived in tents while the people we are going to serve as living in castles and houses made of rocks. We eat with our hands while they use utensils. They think our ways are savage.” Said Irene.
“So why will they even ask us to go over to their kingdom if we are so savage?” asked Jisoo, folding her arms over her chest. 
“We have already talked about this, Jisoo. They need our help. They do not have good healers in their kingdom.” Said Irene
“So why is it us that needs to change ourselves when it is them who needs our help?” asked Jisoo.
“Because we are going to stay with them for a while… years… maybe decades… if we are not going to try getting along with them…”
“I get it.” Said Jisoo, pouting. 
There was a long moment of silence.
“I miss home already.” Said Jisoo.
“We are together, sister. We are the closest family. Where you are is my home.” Said Irene, holding Jisoo’s hand.
Jisoo sighed.
“I am just nervous… what if… what if they wouldn’t like me? You know how people usually misunderstands me a lot when they don’t know me.” Said Jisoo
Irene smiled.
“Don’t worry. You are one charming girl, they will like you.” Said Irene
“Well they would if I was half as beautiful as you.” Said Jisoo.
Irene sighed.
“You are only fifteen, sister.” Said Irene. “You have not yet blossomed into your womanhood yet.”
“Need I remind you that you were already the most beautiful girl in the entire wolf clan when you were fifteen, sister?”  Said Jisoo. 
Jisoo took a deep breath.
“I will never be as beautiful as you.” Said Jisoo. “And I will never be truly charming, we both know I do not possess an ounce of charm. But… I hope that by really helping them learn healing… I hope they would come to accept me…”
Jisoo bit her lip.
“It’s just so hard when you seek acceptance and could not get it…” said Jisoo 
Irene pulled Jisoo into her arms.
“That will not happen again. Don’t worry.” Said Irene. 
Irene glimpsed outside.
“Look Jisoo!” said Irene
Jisoo pulled away from Irene and looked outside. Jisoo’s eyes widened. Before them is a beautiful majestic view of mountains in white, everything was covered in snow!
“Wow…” said Jisoo
“Beautiful isn’t it?” asked Irene
Jisoo’s eyes watered as her chest started beating very fast.
“Beautiful… isn’t enough to describe this place.” Said Jisoo. “How can… such a place exist…”
Irene laughed.
“The West is really a lot different from the North.” Said Irene
A wolf warrior who is close to Irene and Jisoo’s cousin knocked on the wagon before he opened it. 
“Jackson, Is there a problem?” asked Irene.
“The temperature is dropping rapidly, I trust Chief told you to bring thick clothing?” asked Jackson.
Irene nodded.
“You may want to wear it now. We are approaching the boarder. From there onwards, the northern warriors will take over. They will lead you and protect your journey until you reach your destination.” Said Jackson.
“You are returning to the tribe?” asked Jisoo
“Yes, immediately.” Said Jackson. “Chief is training all the warriors rigorously. I wish to learn more and be stronger so that I can help him protect our tribe.”
Irene nodded.
“Thank you for helping us in this entire travel, Jackson.” Said  Irene. 
“You be careful, Irene, Jisoo.” Said Jackson. “You are two of the best healers of our tribe. And you are like sisters to me. I…I wish to see you again both soon.”
Jisoo saw the sadness in Jackson’s eyes as he said his farewell.
“Cousin will not let us go to the North if he knew we will not be safe there.” Said Jisoo. “So do not worry about us.”
Jackson smiled.
“You are but a child, Jisoo. But sometimes you speak and act like an old person.” Said Jackson. “Well then…”
Jackson took a deep breath.
“Get ready… I can hear people coming. I am guessing these are the Northern warriors.” Said Jackson.
Jisoo and Irene wore their thick cloaks.

------------

Jisoo walked behind her sister as they entered a large… no make that gigantic… castle behind the largest mountain she has ever seen. They were led by the Northern warriors who were really cold, as cold as the weather from the boarder up to the castle. They never talked to them, even a single word! 
By the time, they saw the castle from afar, Jisoo was shaking. The cloak was not enough to keep her warm. But the warriors only wore thin clothes! What kind of skin do they have?
Irene, true to her word, never complained even once. Jisoo however, complained so many times through chattering teeth. 
Now that they are inside the castle, the temperature has warmed up a little. That was a relief considering how Jisoo felt all her organs had frozen inside her body. 
They were led inside a very large room. once they were inside, the warriors left. 
“Welcome, Wolf Healers.”
Jisoo saw a tall and good looking man at the far end of the room looking at them, his hair was  white and his skin was pale. He had a small smile on his lips as he greeted them. Well… that was not as cold as Jisoo thought it would be.
“Come nearer, Ladies, so that I can introduce to you our king.” Said the white hair man
Irene and Jisoo walked along the very long aisle. They stopped when they were just ten steps from the man. 
“This is the Northern King, Our King V.”
From behind Irene, Jisoo took a glimpse and saw a large golden chair beside the white haired man. There on that chair sat the most beautiful man Jisoo has ever set eyes on. His hair was black, straight and long… his face is smooth and radiant. He is looking at them with the same cold expression as the warriors earlier but… this king… is so handsome, Jisoo wanted to pinch herself to wake up from this dream.
“Why are you hiding behind your sister, little one?” asked the white haired man.
 “I am sorry, Sir.” Said Irene. “My sister is a little shy.”
Jisoo took a deep breath. She is not usually shy but… this place… the beauty of the place and the beauty of the people… Jisoo felt so out of place!
“If I tell you my name, would you tell me yours also?” asked the white haired man.
Jisoo nodded.
The white haired man smiled wider.
“Can you move forward and not hide behind your sister? We do not bite unless necessary.” Asked the white haired man.
Jisoo took two shaky steps from behind Irene revealing herself fully to the two men’s eyes.
Jisoo saw it when the King’s eyes widened. And then his eyes narrowed as if he did not like what he saw.
Jisoo took a step back.
“I am Taeyong.” Said the white haired man, stopping Jisoo from further stepping back. “I am the King’s adviser.”
“I am Irene and this is my sister, Jisoo.” Said Irene. “Our cousin Jinyoung… Chief to the   Wolf tribe, commanded us to come here so that we can teach whatever we know about healing to your people.”
V stood up from his seat. His eyes had that intense look in them, that made Jisoo’s chest beat fast. 
It seems like… he really does not like her. What did she do? She has only been in his sight for a few minutes.
“I welcome you here in the North.” Said King V. “Indeed we are in need of the Wolf Tribe’s help to teach our people. We are grateful that you have traveled so far and were willing to come here.”
Irene smiled.
“We are honored to be here.” Said Irene
“Tell them about their accommodation. And then go to the meeting room.” Said V. “I need a word with you, Taeyong.”
Taeyong nodded.
--------------
Irene and Jisoo went to their room and was amazed by the beauty of it. Everything looked so elegant and classy.
“Look Jisoo! Even the bed is unbelievably soft!” said Irene.
But Jisoo stayed by the door looking solemn.
Irene stood up and went towards Jisoo.
“Sister… what is wrong?” Asked Irene
“Did you see the King’s expression when he saw me? He does not like me.” Said Jisoo. “This is a mistake. Cousin Jinyoung made a mistake when he sent me here.”
Irene shook her head.
“Do not think like that, sister.” Said Irene. “I am sure… I am sure he would be surprised with how good you are. Besides… it’s too early to say he does not like you.”
Jisoo sighed.
“I hope you’re right.” Said Jisoo.
-----------

After Taeyong had seen Irene and Jisoo to their room, he left them to the care of the Castle’s head maid. He wanted to make sure the Lady and her little sister is served good food. They travelled so far, they would be famished…
Taeyong entered the meeting room and saw V looking out the window with an impatient expression on his face. Taeyong knows what that means. He already felt the restless energy of V from earlier. But why would he be restless while welcoming the Wolf Healers?
“You wanted to talk about something, My Lord?" asked Taeyong
V closed his eyes tight before he spoke.
“A child!” said V, his voice loud. “A kid! Did you see her? Jinyoung sent us a kid!”
Taeyong couldn’t say this is a surprising reaction from V. Taeyong himself was taken aback when he saw how young little Jisoo was. She looked to be twelve with how small she is. Taeyong and V had seen the Wolf healers several times and they know Jinyoung has many adult healers. Jinyoung promised to send two healers. But he only sent one healer and her younger sister!
“I am sure there is a good explanation for this, My Lord.” Said Taeyong
“Jinyoung promised two healers.” Said V
“And we know our brother will not betray his own words.” Said Taeyong. 
V’s eyes narrowed.
“That kid… Jinyoung even allowed that kid to travel all that way going here.” Said V. “How can he allow such a small child to travel in that harsh route? And you heard it right? Jinyoung sent his own cousins! What is Jinyoung up to?”
Taeyong sighed.
“I agree with you, My Lord. Indeed it is confusing. Sending his cousins seems like Jinyoung sent us the best. But he sent us only one healer and her little sister.” 
“I need to get answers. Jinyoung will not use his own cousins like this just to play games on me.” Said V
Taeyong nodded.
“Do you want me to go to brother Jinyoung?” asked Taeyong
V nodded
“I need answers soon.” Said V
And then there was a knock on the door. Taeyong opened it and saw a messenger holding a parcel. Taeyong took the parcel, closed the door and gave it to V.  V opened the parcel, his eyes widened.
“It is a message from Jinyoung.” Said V. “The wolf warrior who led the wolf healer in the journey gave this parcel to the Northern warrior who protected the healers on their way here.”
V read the letter. He was reading it silently for a while when his eyes widened again and then narrowed.
“I usually do not ask matters that may be private but… your expression is making me really curious.” Said Taeyong. 
V gave the parcel to Taeyong.
“Read it for yourself and you’d see why.” Said V
Taeyong read the parcel.
“Brother V, I hope my cousins have arrived safely to the north. It may be a surprise to you that I sent you my own cousins. More so… it may be a surprise to you that I sent you Jisoo. So let me tell you a little about them to help you understand why. (You do not have to ask Taeyong to go to me just to get my explanation. Did I guess it right? Did you already ask Taeyong to get answers from me?)”
Taeyong stopped reading as he chuckled.
“I did not read anything funny.” Said V
Taeyong tried to stop himself. Jinyoung knows V so well.  Taeyong took a deep breath. He continued reading.
“My cousin Irene is a beautiful woman. I suppose you would have already noticed that by now. My entire clan mourned when they learned she was leaving. Her beauty is a ray of sunshine to us. She is a competent healer. She will be able to teach your healers well. Now for Jisoo… she’s fifteen. She may look too small to be fifteen but she is fifteen. Wait for five or so years and she will become a lady. She maybe small but she is one of the best healers of my clan. Yes, brother… Jisoo is a healer at her young age. And no, she is not just a student that is being taught by an older healer. She has already been healing in my clan for several years. Irene and Jisoo grew up in a family of healers. Jisoo had been healing since she was small. And even when there were some troubles in her life while she was growing up, she did not let go of healing. She learned very fast. I do not think I need to build her up. Her work will speak for itself. But I just want you to know that I honored my commitment. I sent you two of my best healers and they will serve you well, Brother.”
Taeyong placed the parcel on the table.
“Well… it seems like we judged the situation incorrectly.” Said Taeyong.
“It does not change the fact that she is just a child.” Said V. “Be honest with me, Taeyong. If your life is on the line, which between Irene and Jisoo would you call?”
“Irene.” said Taeyong. “Not because of her beauty… I mean… of course not…. She looks… capable.”
“Exactly!” said V. “How on Vishox will the Dragons listen and obey a child? How will she ever teach my people? How can people trust a child to heal them?”
Taeyong bit his lip.
“I understand your concern, My Lord.” Said Taeyong. “And they are legitimate concerns… but… I think we need to trust Brother Jinyoung’s judgement. We do not know Irene and Jisoo well. But he does.”
“I just hope the kid matures and grow up fast.” Said V. “The time is coming when we will stop hiding in this hidden castle and will face Vishox again.  When that time comes, the Dragons need to be ready. And healers… Dragon Healers has to be there.”

 

 

 

 

THE DRAGON KING

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three Years Later

Jisoo smiled as she beat the egg.
“So… am I doing it right?” asked Jisoo
Rita, an old cook smiled at her.
“Yes Dear… now put some salt.” Said Rita
Jisoo put a pinch of salt on the egg.
“Why did you want to learn how to cook the egg pancakes?” asked Rita
“Ummm I saw the king eat a lot of it.” Said Jisoo
“The king?” asked Rita
“Got you!” said someone behind Jisoo.
Jisoo dropped the bowl of egg.
“Princess…” said Jisoo. “Princess Seulgi what are you doing here?”
Princess Seulgi is V’s sister. She is almost the same age as Jisoo. She is the most beautiful woman Jisoo has ever seen in her life, even Irene may have trouble competing with the princess.
“I saw you come here and I was curious why the healer would come in here.” Said Seulgi. “You fancy my brother.”
Jisoo’s eyes widened.
“You went here to learn the dish you saw him eat a lot of.” Said Seulgi. “You fancy him!”
Jisoo looked at Rita for help but Rita just smiled knowingly.
“Don’t deny it. I saw it over meals. You would look at my brother like he’s more satisfying than the food on your plate.” Said Seulgi
Jisoo froze in shock. Was she that obvious?
“Well… I don’t think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter