Wolf King: Chapter 2

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wolf King

Chapter 2

 

Jinyoung entered the tent of his cousins. It was a relief to see them after all these years. They seemed to be doing well. Breakfast was served and Jinyoung got on the discussion he wanted to know.

“I hope you still remember to keep it from the others where I send you to.” Said Jinyoung.

“Yes cousin. We have not told anyone else. We will not put the lives of King V’s entire clan in danger.” Said Irene.

“Good. No one, and I mean absolutely no one can know they still exist. People of Vishox thought their kind has long ceased to exist.” Said Jinyoung. “Their City is hidden from everyone and it is better that way. It’s safer for all V’s people that way. ”

Irene nodded.

“But then… if people does not know they still exist… then people would think the Demanix prophesy is now just a folklore isn’t it?” said Jisoo, she said nonchalantly while slicing a piece of meat.

Jinyoung’s eyes sharpened. Although many people knows the Demanix Prophesy… it is not a usual subject of conversation anymore. The Order of Demanix made sure people will forget about it. So that once it gets fulfilled, the enemies will not be ready.

“How did you hear of it? What do you know about the Demanix Prophesy?” asked Jinyoung

Jisoo smiled.

“I’ve read it in a book in King V’s library. It was interesting.” Said Jisoo.

“What does it say?” asked Irene

It is obvious that Irene is not much of a reader.

“It says long ago, the heaven ordained four clans to lead the four kingdoms of Vishox. Back then, there was peace and order. The four clans were united. However, even with the peace, there was greed. So many other clans wanted to have power. And so they summoned a dark power and made a curse throughout the land.” Said Jisoo.

“What curse?” asked Irene, looking shocked.

“The Fertility curse. The mating curse, that creatures will not bear offspring unless with their mate.” Said Jisoo. “It slowly became the reason for the downfall of the four kingdoms of Vishox.”

“How come?” asked Irene.

“Because the enemies made sure to eliminate the mated members of the four clans. Until the four clans could no longer reproduce. The wolves decreased in number substantially. The Lions were attacked from all over Vishox and could not fight on their own without the help of the other three. The Dragon clan vanished. And the southern Kingdom of the ancient creatures was suddenly enveloped by a dark force. It was shut down from the world. Thick veins surround the Southern Kingdom and whenever someone tries to enter it, no matter how much vein they break, they could not penetrate the vein walls. It is believed that the Ancient creatures were so few left that they chose to die by themselves inside the vein fortress instead of being defeated by the clans of Vishox.” Said Jisoo

“That’s so terrible.” Said Irene

“But one day… the four clans will rise again.” Said Jisoo. “And when that happens, they will regain the power to conquer the four thrones. And after that, the four kings will reign in Vishox and there will be peace again throughout the land.”

Irene took a deep breath. Jinyoung leaned back on his seat. Jisoo knows so much about the Demanix Prophesy.

“With everyone thinking the dragons are gone, they think the Demanix Prophesy is now just a folklore. It’s been centuries since the last time a dragon was seen flying in the sky.” Said Jisoo.

“But we know there’s still the possibility of fulfillment.” Said Irene.

“Act like you know nothing.” Said Jinyoung. “Like everyone else, you know nothing about them. You also think Demanix is just an old tale. Is that clear?”

Jisoo took a deep breath.

“Yes cousin.” Said Jisoo.

Jinyoung noticed Jisoo barely touched her food.

“The food is not to your liking, Jisoo?” asked Jinyoung.

“Oh… it’s really good… it’s just that… I’ve been losing appetite lately.”  Said Jisoo.

“Must be the long travel we had the other day.” Said Irene.

“Possibly.” Said Jisoo.

Irene turned to Jinyoung.

“Cousin, I heard there is going to be a celebration later today?” asked Irene

“Yes. There will be a celebration for yesterday’s victory.” Said Jinyoung.

“Do you need our help?” asked Irene

“You just have to be there to have lunch with me and Jackson.” Said Jinyoung. “Everyone will be pleased to see that you’ve visited us and joined the celebration.”

Irene and Jisoo nodded.

“V is treating you both well?” asked Jinyoung.

“Yes.” Said Irene. “Very well.”

Jinyoung could see the sparkle in Irene’s eyes. He turned to Jisoo but Jisoo turned away. But Jinyoung noticed a sad smile on her lips as she turned. Why will Jisoo be sad?

“Jisoo are you comfortable in V’s Palace?” asked Jinyoung

“Oh.” Jisoo faced Jinyoung. “Yes. He provides for everything we need.”

“Good.” Said Jinyoung.

They ate breakfast quietly after that.

--------------------------

 

Jackson entered the assembly tent where Jinyoung was waiting for him.

“I’m sorry. The cook is giving me headache.” Said Jackson.

Jingyoung looked up at Jackson.

“Why?”

“She keeps saying we lack people who will serve the food later. Don’t worry. I am going to find some servant to do it. So… why did you call me?” asked Jackson.

“There is something I need you to take care of.” Said Jinyoung. “The human slave you brought. I want you to make sure she bathes.”

Jackson’s brows shot up.

“Bathe, my Lord?” asked Jackson, a bit stunned.

“She smells like a Panther. Did your nose get crushed during the battle?” asked Jinyoung

“Well… I did smell a little Panther on her. But it was tolerable.” Said Jackson.

“She is like a walking grease and grime.” Said Jinyoung.

“Well that’s true.” Said Jackson.

“Make sure she is fed. The poor girl is famished.” Said Jinyoung.

Jackson nodded.

“And let her rest. It seems she did not get any sleep last night cleaning all those silverwares you asked her to clean.” Said Jinyoung.

Jackson nodded again.

“I am not sure if she has a bed. Make sure she has a place to sleep.” Said Jinyoung.

“I will check on it later.” Said Jackson.

Jinyoung sighed.

“And I don’t think she has any clothes to change into. Get some clothes for her.” Said Jinyoung.

Jackson could no longer hide his smile.

“You are looking at me with that irritating smirk on your face. Do you want me to erase your face completely?” asked Jinyoung.

Jackson chuckled.

“And… you learned all these things… how and when may I ask, My Lord?” asked Jackson

“Stop calling me my Lord.” Said Jinyoung, annoyed. “I… went to the servant’s tent to make breakfast arrangements for me and my cousins. I saw her there cleaning the silverwares. Apparently, the girl has not slept and fed and bathe.”

“Oh.” Said Jackson.

“You should have seen to that.” Said Jinyoung.

“I should have.” Said Jackson. “But my focus was on making sure everything was in order after the battle. Taking care of the girl left my mind. I will see to it.”

Jinyoung nodded.

From this distance… Jinyoung can still smell his mate… it’s very faint… but it’s there….

--------------

Nayeon wanted to obey the Chief but…  she was too shy to ask for food and even to ask around for  a bath. She’s also too shy to sleep when everyone has been occupied and needs help.

A servant went beside her and lifted some of the silverwares she cleaned.

“Are these good to use?” she asked.

Nayeon nodded.

“They’re clean.” Nayeon said.

The servant was going to walk away but Nayeon stopped her.

“Wait… can I ask you something?”

The servant nodded.

“What is it?”

“Umm… this morning I saw the Chief and he asked me to do some things.” Said Nayeon.

“Did he?”

The servant put the silverwares down.

“Then you have to do it as soon as you can. The Chief is a good Chief. He is strong, powerful and he rules us all with as much justice as he can. But he is unmerciful when it comes to disobedience.” Said the servant. “Make sure you do what he asked you to do. His punishment can be excruciating. I tell you… you wouldn’t want to be punished by the Chief.” Said the servant.

Nayeon gulped. She did not doubt that… the Chief….

When she saw him yesterday, her heart was filled with fear. He looked so tall…his body was so big… His face looked so imposing… he had that harsh look on his face like he’s angry… his presence was commanding… Nayeon could not help but feel so small in his presence.

But then… he gave her a name…

Nayeon…

Beautiful Destiny…

What a beautiful name…

She could not help but be thankful. For a second, she felt like the imposing man was not a threat to be fear of… but a shield who can protect her.

Of course that was nonsense. She’s a slave… she’s not part of this tribe. He’s the Chief… but he’s not her chief.

The servant smiled at her and then patted her shoulder.

“Do you need help with what he asked you to do?” asked the servant.

“Yes…I…”

Jackson entered the tent then.

“Can I talk to her for a minute?” asked Jackson. The servant girl took the silverware and went out.

Nayeon took a deep breath. Jackson maybe almost as big as the Chief but Jackson has a gentler face. He doesn’t look angry all the time.

“The Chief said he saw you this morning.” Said Jackson.

Now that made Nayeon nervous.

“I was cleaning… he went here to ask for breakfast.” Explained Nayeon.

Jackson nodded.

“He told me you haven’t eaten since yesterday?” asked Jackson

Nayeon nodded shyly.

“And it seems you haven’t taken a bath?” asked Jackson

Nayeon closed her eyes.

“Yes.” She said.

Jackson put a set of clothes on the table. He also put something like a bar.

“These are clothes and soap.” Said Jackson. “I don’t think you have brought anything with you.”

Nayeon’s eyes widened.

“Those clothes… are …”

“Once you take a bath, you don’t plan to wear those dirty clothes right?” asked Jackson

“I… can’t pay you with anything…”

Jackson chuckled.

“There is no need to pay me. You are serving us here. We take care of our servants. We make sure there is food for them, clothes, a place to stay and a safe tribe to serve.” Said Jackson.

Nayeon took a deep breath.

“Thank you.” She said.

Jackson nodded.

“The bath is three tents to the right. It is open anytime. You can go there and nobody will stop you. You should go now while the people are still occupied with the food preparations. You can have privacy that way.” Said Jackson.

Nayeon nodded.

Jackson also put a pouch on the table. This has water and bread in it.

“In the meantime, you can eat this. After you take a bath you should get some sleep.” Said Jackson.

Nayeon nodded.

“Resume the cleaning of the silverwares tomorrow.” Said Jackson. “Today, just rest.”

Nayeon was not used to taking a rest day. This is a first for her.

“What’s wrong?” asked Jackson.

Nayeon shook her head.

“I am just… thankful.” Said Nayeon. “Thank you.”

Jackson smiled.

“No need to thank me. It is the Chief you have to thank. He told me to do all these for you.” said Jackson.

Nayeon nodded.

“He seems to be a good Chief.” Said Nayeon.

“He is.” Said Jackson. “Once you get to know him, you’d not only know how strong of a warrior he is… but also how good of a man he is.”

Nayeon nodded hesitantly.

“Why? You don’t think he’s a good man?” asked Jackson.

“No… it’s not that…” said Nayeon. “He’s just… a little… frightening…”

Jackson can see that it wasn’t just a little… This girl is absolutely terrified of the Chief.

“What did he do that scared you so much?” asked Jackson.

Nayeon shook her head.

“Nothing really… he just… talked to me.” Said Nayeon.

Jackson laughed.

“You’d learn to get rid of that fear soon.” Said Jackson. “You’d see him often. Besides… the Chief would smell it.”

Nayeon’s eyes widened.

“What… do you mean?”

“The Chief can smell fear.” Said Jackson.

Nayeon gulped.

“You better hurry and get some sleep.” said Jackson.            

Nayeon nodded.

Jackson turned to leave.

“Wait…” said Nayeon.

“What?” asked Jackson

“My na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter