King of the South: Chapter 7

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

**There may be some delays in the next updates, Guys. I have some responsibilities that I need to focus on the next two weeks. I will need to use most of my nights after work to attend to them. As you may know, I could only write after work so this would definitely have an impact on how fast I can make the next updates.  :(

Thank you for your comments, Guys. It always makes me more energized to write whenever I hear from you.  Stay Safe! :D

 

 

King of the South

Chapter 7

 

Seulgi was biting her nails in anxiety when Taeyong and Kwangsoo returned to her. Her mind was still on her mate and her fear of who it may be.

 

“Hey Seulgi, did you learn how to weave?” asked Kwangsoo

 

“Huh? Oh yeah… weaving… it was hard. I don’t think I learned anything.” said Seulgi. “I should probably stay here for days before I really learn how to weave a good fabric. Should I stay here?”

 

Taeyong did not answer until they were outside the place.

 

“It wasn’t my intention for you to learn weaving. I want you to have a general idea of how it’s done.” said Taeyong. “And I want to know also how the weavers are feeling about their work.”

 

Oh… so that’s why…

 

“Well… umm… I think they’re quite happy. From what I heard from Myka, it seems like they are given five days a week to work. If you’re pregnant, you will only need to work three days a week.” said Seulgi. “And they are paid nicely too.”

 

“Did you not hear any complaint?” asked Taeyong

 

“Hmm… I did not hear anything.” said Seulgi

 

“Good.” said Taeyong. “This is the largest Fabric house here in Jurin. A few years ago, many complaints were received from this business regarding exploitation of workers.”

 

Now Seulgi understands why they visited this place? Seulgi looked at Taeyong. She felt that swelling in her chest. Taeyong was a remarkable adviser to V. He knew how V reigned on his lands. Taeyong must’ve used his knowledge.

 

“We’ve threatened the owner that if he does not improve the condition of the workers, his business will be shut down.” said Kwangsoo. “We sent a royal order and some warriors from the palace.”

 

“It seems they listened.” said Seulgi. “Good for the workers.”

 

They continued to go around the village the entire day. And then before sunset, they rode back to the castle.

 

------------

 

 

Seulgi felt drained but fulfilled. Today was the first day she felt really good since she arrived in the South. And although she wasn’t able to ride as fast as she would like, she was able to go around the South. It was such a nice place. Despite the truth that it’s ruler is the greediest and darkest King, the South managed to be a beautiful land.

 

Seulgi took a rag out and started wiping the table inside the Queen’s room.

 

It seems like the people here in the South isn’t so bad. Kwangsoo seems nice. And so many other people she had met were quite nice. But of course there are obnoxious ones like that Mayor. But you’ll meet people like him outside the South too. It seems like the South isn’t so different from the rest of Vishox. Or maybe because Kong was gone for a long time. His evil plans stopped and so the South was not completely destroyed.

 

How come people like Kwangsoo follow such an dark lord?

 

Come…

 

Seulgi heard a voice.

 

That is odd. From what she knows… she’s quite alone. Taeyong went straight to meeting his officials after they arrived.

 

Come to me…

 

There it goes again… Seulgi felt goosebumps. It sounded like a whisper and yet she can hear it well…

 

Come to me…

 

That is really scary…

 

She’s been cleaning this room for several days now but this is the first time she’s hearing this voice. She wants to think it’s just her imagination but…

 

Come…

 

The voice is getting louder. She can’t understand if it’s a male voice or a female voice… but there is definitely a voice.

 

Seulgi gulped. She took a deep breath and tried to listen where the voice is coming from.

 

It was coming from the closet. Oh no… what if something comes out of that closet once she opens it?

 

Seulgi braced herself as she opened the closet. She was about to scream when she realized that the closet looked normal. There were so many women clothes. They looked expensive and so beautiful. Even the material used were so luxurious. She would know… she’s a princess.

 

Come… Open it…

 

Oh no… the voice is still there.

 

Seulgi looked around the closet and found several boxes. This better be worth it. If this is some dark power, she’s definitely not going to like it.

 

Seulgi opened the boxes one by one. The first one is a box of what looked like hats. There were five or six of them. The second one had several shoes in it. The Queen seems to know a lot about flair. And then the third box…

 

Seulgi took a deep breath. It was a rather small box… and it has some weird characters written all over it. She does not understand what the words mean… it was in characters she has not studied before. Seulgi brushed her hand on the characters and then suddenly the characters lit up with red light.

 

Open it…

 

Seulgi felt her heart racing. She’s scared… but she has to know what this is.

 

“Please be worth it.” whispered Seulgi

 

Seulgi opened the box and a blinding red light almost made her drop it. When the red light subsided, she saw a necklace inside the box. It was a very beautiful and long necklace that had a ruby at the pendant. It did not look very queen-like. It was quite simple. But there is something about it that really felt like there’s… power in it.

 

Wear it…

 

Now that she will NOT do. This necklace isn’t hers. She will not wear it, of course.

 

Wear it…

 

No. She won’t. This necklace isn’t hers!

 

Wear it…

 

Urgg! This voice is so annoying.

 

“Fine I will only try it.” said Seulgi

 

Seulgi put the necklace on her neck. And then she felt a strong presence waking up inside her. Seulgi took a deep breath as the presence invaded all her senses.

 

Hilla.

 

“Why did you wake me up, Princess?” asked that familiar female voice inside Seulgi’s mind.

 

“Well actually… I didn’t.” said Seulgi

 

“But I felt a very strong force waking me up.” said Hilla. “Did someone attack you?”

 

“At this moment, I am quite safe… I hope.” said Seulgi

 

“Then why did you wake me, Princess?” asked Hilla

 

“As I said, I didn’t. Well not intentionally.” said Seulgi

 

“I can feel a strong force… the force that woke me is still around.” said Hilla

 

“Could it be this necklace? It’s a very weird necklace…” said Seulgi. “I feel some power in it.”

 

Hilla gasped.

 

“What is it Hilla?” asked Seulgi

 

“Indeed there is a strong force coming from it.” said Hilla

 

“I should take it off. This isn’t mine. It’s just that there’s been a voice bugging me to wear it.” said Seulgi

 

Seulgi touched the necklace to take it off.

 

“Wait.” said Hilla. “Don’t take it off, Seulgi.”

 

“Why?”

 

“For some reason… I can feel the force going around us… I can feel it… protecting us.” said Hilla

 

“Huh? Protecting us?” asked Seulgi

 

“I can feel it going all around you.” said Hilla

 

“But why? I don’t even know whose necklace this is. I can’t wear this. The King may think I am stealing the queen’s jewelry.” said Seulgi

 

“King? Your brother?” asked Hilla

 

Brother? Oh, Hilla meant V.

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

“There is so much we have to talk about, Hilla.”

 

“Well… I have been asleep for a long time.” said Hilla. “Indeed there is so much I need to catch up. How is the north? Is it still cold? A fire dragon like me does not like the cold too much. Is there a way to change the weather?”

 

“Well there is.” said Seulgi

 

“There is?” asked Hilla. “You know very well Princess that there is no way to do that.”

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

“There is.” said Seulgi. “Don’t you feel that it is now quite warmer?”

 

Hilla took a while to answer.

 

“What happened Seulgi. What happened to the Northern Kingdom?” asked Hilla, alarmed.

 

“We are not in the northern Kingdom Hilla.” said Seulgi

 

“Where are we…” asked Hilla.

 

“In the South.”  said Seulgi.

 

“You are making me laugh, Princess.” said Hilla. “Did you lose your humor all these years?”

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

“No, Hilla. We are in the South. And when I say in the South, I mean Taeyong abducted me and brought me here.” said Seulgi

 

 

 

----------

 

 

Seulgi bit her fingernails. She could not take the necklace off. Every time she tried to take it off, it heats up, it would burn her hand. That was weird considering it has never burned her neck. What is she to do? Seulgi closed the button of her dress up to her neck hiding the necklace.

 

Should she tell Teayong?

 

This necklace is not hers. It could be his great grandmother’s.

 

Seulgi sighed as she looked out the window waiting for Taeyong. When the door opened, Seulgi’s chest started drumming. She turned and saw Taeyong looking at her.

 

“It’s already late. Why are you still awake?” asked Taeyong.

 

Seulgi bit her lip.

 

“Were you waiting for me?” asked Taeyong.

 

“Well… umm…”

 

“You don’t have to wait for me.” said Taeyong. “You can go ahead and rest.”

 

Seulgi took a deep breath. Taeyong’s eyes narrowed.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Taeyong.

 

“I… need to tell you something.” said Seulgi. “Well I mean… I need to show you something.”

 

Taeyong folded his arms over his chest.

 

“You stayed up this late to show me something.” said Taeyong. “This should be interesting.”

 

Seulgi took a deep breath. She held the button of her dress and started opening it. Taeyong’s eyes widened. His arms dropped to his side.

 

“What are you doing?” asked Taeyong., his voice louder than usual.

 

“I need to show it to you.” said Seulgi

 

Taeyong took several steps toward Seulgi. As Seulgi opened her second button, Taeyong was already standing in front of her. But Seulgi continued to open the buttons. Taeyong grabbed her hand to stop her.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked Taeyong, sounding alarmed.

 

“I was just going to show…”

 

Seulgi just then noticed that her dress had been opened exposing the upper portion of her chest. It went low enough to show some part of her . Seulgi gasped. She immediately put her hand on top of her to cover it. But it suddenly felt burnt.

 

“Ouch!” Seulgi shook her hand.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Taeyong took hold of Seulgi’s hand and saw it flaming red.

 

“Why does it look burnt?” asked Taeyog.

 

“It’s because of the necklace.” said Seulgi

 

“Necklace?”

 

Seulgi opened her dress wider.

 

“Stop it, Seulgi!” Taeyong warned.

 

And then he saw it, the necklace…. just in the middle of Seulgi’s chest.

 

“As you can see, I can’t even touch it.” said Seulgi

 

“Where did you get this?” asked Taeyong.

 

“I… umm… in the room beside yours. I heard a voice calling me. The voice told me to wear it. It bugged me so much. I thought to try it on just to make the voice stop but… I could no longer take it off.” said Seulgi.

 

Taeyong reached for the necklace and touched it. He winced.

 

“Does it burn you also?” asked Seulgi

 

Taeyong removed his hand.

 

“I can feel a force coming from this necklace.” said Taeyong.

 

“That’s what I felt too.” said Seulgi. “I am just worried it may be a dark power or something. Do you know how I can take it off?”

 

“Wear it for now.” said Taeyong.

 

“But this is yours, it isn’t mine.” said Seulgi

 

“It called for you. Whoever owned that necklace wanted you to have it.” said Taeyong. “Besides… I do not feel dark power coming from it.”

 

Seulgi sigh in relief.

 

“Then I guess I will keep wearing it for now until it stops burning me whenever I try to take it off.” said Seulgi

 

And then Seulgi noticed Taeyong looking at her, his eyes intense. Seulgi gulped as her heart tried to break her chest.

 

And then Taeyong’s hand reached Seulgi’s cheek. His touch was so light, Seulgi felt goosebumps all over her skin. And then his hand slowly lowered to her neck. Seulgi gulped. She felt herself melting. Taeyong’s caress lowered to her collarbone… and then it went lower still… lower until his hand brushed the rise of her .

 

Seulgi heard a moan coming from her own mouth. Taeyong’s eyes lifted to hers. Seulgi could see Taeyong’s eyes… those mesmerizing eyes… those powerful and passionate eyes…

 

And then Taeyong lowered his head. Seulgi could feel Taeyong’s breath on her neck. And then she felt  warm and wet. Seulgi’s throat moved. Another moan escaped her. Seulgi closed her eyes as she felt every pore of her body opening, her blood heating… her body felt soft and melting…

 

And then Seulgi felt a slight pain. Taeyong bit her lightly. And then he lifted his head.

 

“Don’t try seducing me, Princess. I may have taken a vow of celibacy, but I am still mortal. There is a limit to what I can bear.” said Taeyong, his eyes so intense… could it be that he… doe he… does he want her?

 

Taeyong brushed his bite mark on Seulgi’s neck.

 

“Do not be careless around me.” said Taeyong.

 

And then Taeyong went to his room and left her.

 

Seulgi’s legs wobbled as she sat down. She could still feel the heat all over her. But she could also feel that deep seated disappointment when Taeyong stopped touching her…The agony of him leaving her side. She knows what this is… it’s the desire within her awakening. Then that means…

 

She desires Taeyong’s touch. She desires Taeyong…

 

“Oh no…” whispered Seulgi. “What am I going to do?”

 

“You have to drink lots of cold water.” said Hilla. “It’s getting so hot in here. But I am loving it.”

 

“Shut up, Hilla.” said Seulgi.

 

 

--------------

 

 

First she has to admit she's attracted to Taeyong. He is one handsome man who won't be? Any breathing female would be attracted to him. It is not foolishness... it is only normal. Second, she has to admit that she desires his touch. Now this one is foolishness. Although she believes in her heart that Taeyong is still fighting Kong, he's still acting like the Dark King. And his touch should repulse her. But instead of abhorring it, she found herself wanting more of it. Even now when she remembered what happened a few nights ago, her skin still heats up. 

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

"You look anxious." Said Yeri

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

"I guess that's accurate." Said Seulgi. 

 

She can not allow Taeyong to touch her again. She's seriously going to ask for more, she's sure of it. And when she does that, that will be the end of her pride as a dragon princess... and as a woman. 

 

But does he like her? His eyes showed such intensity like he wants to devour her. But was it desire? Or is she only seeing what she wants to see? Taeyong did say he only liked her as a sister. You don't desire your sister. That's gross.

 

"It's probably all the confinement. If the King really said you are free to go around, maybe you can ask him to allow you to go to the market with me." Said Yeri

 

"Market?" Asked Seulgi, that made her excited. 

 

Yeri nodded.

 

"The spices are running out and the people who usually brings the spices to the castle has not been coming. Helen tasked me to go to the market and buy the spices we need." Said Yeri. 

 

"When are you going?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Two days from now. I am still waiting for approval from Miss Sunny. Going out to the market requires a few warrior to accompany me." Said Yeri. 

 

"Why? Is it dangerous?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Well not that I know. Usually the things we buy are heavy. We buy in bulk. There were mentions of bandits lurking around but I don't think there's been any attack to anyone from the castle the past centuries. I guess bringing warriors intimidated them." Said Yeri. "For all I know, those bandits have already retired."

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

"I want to go. But I don't think it's likely that his Highness will allow me." Said Seulgi. "I am still a prisoner." 

 

Yeri sighed.

 

"Is the market far from here? How do you get there?" Asked Seulgi.

 

"I thought you said you won't be allowed to go?" Asked Yeri

 

"I am curious." Said Seulgi. 

 

Yeri smiled.

 

"Well then it's not that far." Said Yeri

 

 

-------

 

 

A few days later Seulgi was preparing the King's food when Helen came in and sighed beside Seulgi.

 

"Tough day?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Yeri had been abducted." Said Helen.

 

Seulgi stopped what she was doing.

 

"Come again?" 

 

"Yeri. She was supposed to go to the market this morning. She should have been back by noon. When she didn't, I asked for a warrior to check. The warrior just came back. He saw the warriors assigned to Yeri dead in the forest. Yeri was not there. The spices were scattered all over." Said Helen

 

"Oh no... bandits?" Asked Seulgi

 

"There's a possibility. However they have not attacked the castle workers for a very long time now." Said Helen. "I need to report this to Miss Sunny."

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

But as soon as Helen went away, Seulgi slipped out of the kitchen and followed Helen. She needs to know if Yeri is going to be saved.

 

But as expected, Miss Sunny had little concern over the servants. Even when Helen said Yeri's life could be in danger, Miss Sunny said she will not waste lives of warriors just to save one servant.

 

Seulgi's blood boiled in anger.

 

There is only one other way.

 

 Yeri told her how to get to the market. If she follows Yeri's instruction, she should be able to find the area where the bandits abducted Yeri. She must find Yeri and help her.

 

-------

 

It wasn't easy going out of the castle. With heart racing, Seulgi hid on small cavities of the castle wall just to make sure she isn't caught. The last thing she wants is for Taeyong to know where she's going. He's definitely not going to allow her to save Yeri. Seulgi knows the danger but Yeri does not have anyone who will come to her aid. Yeri only has her. 

 

When the warriors going around for the night round went away, Seulgi ran as fast as she could to the gate of the castle. She can't fly. That will catch too much attention. It's either she is going to climb the wall or she's going to exit the gate by some form of miracle. 

 

Wall it is. But how can she climb this gigantic wall around the castle without being noticed?

 

So... should she try her luck by the gate?

 

Seulgi only has one experience going through that gate and Kwangsoo managed to open it with just one nod.

 

She can’t do that.

 

Who else goes out of the gate? 

 

Seulgi noticed some people approaching the gate. These are warriors who are pulling a large cart of something Seulgi does not know. 

 

Seulgi ran towards it and climbed the cart hiding herself inside. She realized the cart has all sorts of weapons. Are they taking these weapons to the other warriors assigned in other areas?

 

The cart started moving and Seulgi's heart raced. She needs to get out of the castle. 

 

After a  while, when Seulgi felt that it was enough time to cross the gate, Seulgi peeked out to check where they were once in a while. When she saw there was no warrior guarding her side of the cart. She jumped out of it and ran as fast as she could. She heard the warrior calling the one behind to check why the cart moved. It made her nervous. She can't just stop running, she may get caught. Hopefully they won't discover that it was her.

 

Seulgi knew the direction she's taking so far. According to Yeri, It was just eastward from the castle. She would need to pass through the forest. if she's heading to the right direction, she should be seeing a lot of Mequan Trees. It would be hard to miss since the trees are shinning with  yellow light at night. Seulgi kept running and finally after sometime, she sighed in relieved upon seeing the Mequan Trees. 

 

She kept running. They said Yeri was abducted inside the forest. She should be seeing some clue where Yeri was abducted soon. 

 

After what seems like an hour of running, Seulgi noticed an area where there were so many spices scattering all around. 

 

This. This is the place those bandits abducted Yeri. What is she going to do now? Which direction did those bandits take Yeri? She's not much of a hunter, her brother taught her survival. But all she knows are theories and she has not practiced them. 

 

Seulgi looked around. Anything can help... Seulgi wished she has the wolf ability to smell... she would be able to track Yeri fast. The dead warriors were already brought back to the castle. so the foot marks heading to the palace are from the warriors. That means the foot marks heading towards the other direction would be coming from the bandits. 

 

Seulgi noticed heavy foot marks going to the south. Heavy foot marks. The bandits are many and they possibly have horses and large carts with them when they made an attack. 

 

She's only one. How on Vishox is she going to save Yeri from those people?

 

Fear gripped Seulgi's heart. 

 

But just the thought of what they could have done to Yeri was enough to make Seulgi shake the fear away. If Yeri is still alive, she has to save Yeri and bring the poor girl back to the castle. 

 

Seulgi continued running, this time to the southern direction. She kept her eyes on the foot marks just to make sure she's heading to the right direction. 

 

And then Seulgi's senses heightened. She felt presence around her. Seulgi gulped. It seems like she had already reached her destination. 

 

Seulgi prepared for battle. She sensed someone coming to her from her right. Seulgi avoided the attack. She saw a woman slightly taller than her stumbling to the ground when she missed Seulgi. The woman stood up again and this time, she attacked her directly in front, she wasn't using any weapon, just her body. Seulgi blocked her attacked this time. The woman seemed to be shocked that Seulgi could block. Seulgi used that opportunity. she punched the woman on the side. The woman stumbled to the ground. 

 

And as if that was the cue, several men and woman appeared around Seulgi. This time, they were all holding weapons. 

 

Two of them went for her. Seulgi raised her hand and then fire came out of her hands. The two warriors fell on their knees in pain. She proceeded in attacking the others with her fire. 

 

"Yes Princess go ahead and fry the little bandits." said Hilla

 

And then Seulgi heard a voice of a woman shouting.

 

"Enough!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter