King of the South: Chapter 6

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

King of the South

Chapter 6

 

 

Seulgi sighed as she knocked on the door. Whatever Taeyong’s plan is, it’s making Seulgi confused.   If he does not care about her at all, why did he assign her to serve him?

 

"Enter" 

 

Seulgi heard from inside

 

Seulgi opened the door bringing a tray of food with her. When she entered, she saw Taeyong seated across Kwangsoo. He was wearing dark blue that makes his fair skin glow. His face had always been beautiful but now... Why is Seulgi having a hard time looking away?

 

He had hurt you...

 

That’s right…Seulgi had to remind herself that this Taeyong, no matter how handsome he may look, is no longer a man she should admire. He had hurt her... 

 

Seulgi dragged her eyes away from Taeyong.

 

Seulgi noticed there were papers on the table and it seems like Taeyong and Kwangsoo were in the middle of a discussion. 

 

"Then that means we have enough warriors to defeat the entire Vishox." Said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi caught her breath. That should be the best reminder to forget any admiration for Taeyong.

 

Kwangsoo turned to Seulgi.

 

"Oh we meet again, Miss Prisoner." Said Kwangsoo, staring at her. "What happened to your beautiful face?"

 

Seulgi looked away. She has not looked in the mirror since she was punished. But she could feel pain whenever she tries to smile or even open to eat. Does she look terrible... that means Taeyong is seeing her ugly face... Seulgi felt shame.

 

She placed the tray of food on the side table. 

 

"I got injured." Said Seulgi

 

Kwangsoo sighed as he stood up.

 

"I shall leave you for your meal, Your Highness." Said Kwangsoo

 

Taeyong nodded.

 

Kwangsoo smiled at Seulgi and then he left the room. 

 

Then there was only Taeyong and Seulgi now.

 

"Where will you take your meal, Your Highness?" Asked Seulgi, turning to face Taeyong. Seulgi almost gasped to see Taeyong staring at her. And it does not look good. He looked angry. 

 

Taeyong stood up from his seat and opened a door on the other side.

 

"Follow me." He said.

 

Seulgi brought the tray and followed Taeyong. Inside the door was a small living room with a dinning table. It looked so elegant. There were two other doors which made Seulgi curious. One is probably Taeyong's bedroom. So what was the other for?

 

Taeyong sat down. Seulgi followed him and placed the tray on the dinning table. She served the food in front of Taeyong. It was a meal of sumptuous seafood. But before Seulgi could withdraw her hands from the plates, Taeyong caught them. And then he was staring at her hands.

 

Seulgi felt warm with the contact of their fingers. Their skin are touching...  Seulgi's throat moved as she tried to pull her fingers away. What is he staring at? And why is he touching her? And then she winced. Her wounds still felt raw. 

 

"Where did you get these wounds?" Asked Taeyong.

 

He meant the wounds on her hands.

 

"From... It does not matter...Your Highness." Said Seulgi. 

 

"When I ask, it means it matters." Said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi winced as Taeyong's hold tightened. And then she felt Taeyong's hold gentled but he did not let her hand go.

 

"Was this from chopping wood?" Asked Taeyong. "You are not used to that kind of work."

 

Then why did you approve it? Seulgi wanted so much to tell Taeyong all the words that had been compiling in her head. But she held her tongue... this is the first time Taeyong showed a little care over her... and no matter how painful his treatment of her was the past days... there are still moments like this that gives her a little hope that her Taeyong is still somewhere inside this man.

 

"It will heal." Said Seulgi.

 

And then Taeyong stood up. He reached his hand and touched Seulgi's cheek. Seulgi's chest wanted to escape her ribs from how fast and strong her heart was beating. Taeyong is standing close... so close...

 

"Who did this to you?" Asked Taeyong, his voice low and deep...his finger brushed something painful on Seulgi's cheek.

 

"Don't tell me the wood did this." Asked Taeyong

 

Seulgi might've laughed with the dry humor if this is the old Taeyong. But no... she could not laugh, especially when his tone felt like there is a threat beneath it.

 

"I was... punished." whispered Seulgi. "I could not finish the work given me."

 

And then Taeyong brushed Seulgi's lip. Her eyes widened as Taeyong stared at them. And then Seulgi felt a sting of pain. It seems like even her lip had a wound. 

 

Taeyong lifted Seulgi's chin so that she looks at him.

 

"You should not allow anyone to hurt you. You could have fought back, why didn't you?" Asked Taeyong. 

 

"I ... I don't want anyone else getting hurt because I caused trouble." Said Seulgi

 

"So because of that, you just submitted? I expected more fight in you, Princess." Said Taeyong. 

 

And then Taeyong sat down again.

 

Seulgi wanted to hurt something. He used a servant to make her obey him. And now he's saying he expected more fight in her? How can she fight when someone could get hurt on her behalf? 

 

 Seulgi took a step back. That closeness made it hard for her to breathe. And now the anger in her chest makes it hard for her to think right.

 

"I ordered Sunny to assign you to me." Said Taeyong

 

"So I was told... Your Highness." Said Seulgi, trying to hide her anger.

 

"You are to bring me all my meals. And you are to clean this room." Said Taeyong.

 

"This... room?" Asked Seulgi.

 

Miss Sunny skipped that part apparently.

 

"I want this room cleaned everyday." Said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi's eyes widened. She has never thought of Taeyong as a clean freak...

 

"Well...if that is your wish, Your Highness." Said Seulgi, her voice couldn't hide her irritation. 

 

Taeyong's lip arched into a one sided smile. 

 

"And also... from now on you stay in this room." Said Taeyong.

 

"What?" 

 

Now Seulgi could not hide her shock. 

 

"You mean I should stay here the whole day right? This beautiful room will be my new prison isn't it?" Asked Seulgi, her voice getting louder, her princess demanding voice is surfacing.

 

"No. I mean you can go out and take care of my meal all throughout the day. You can even go around the castle when you are done cleaning this room... This room isn't your prison. But at night, you are to stay here, sleep here." Said Taeyong, his voice grew deeper.

 

Why did it suddenly feel hot?

 

Seulgi gulped so many times before she could talk. 

 

"You lost your tongue, Princess?" Asked Taeyong

 

"B..But Your Hi...Highness." Seulgi took a deep breath. "As you can see I look horrible. Right? You wouldn’t want to… What am I saying? That is senseless…Umm… May I remind you that you are celibate, Your Highness?"

 

Is he planning on freeing Kong now? Through her? HER? Is this how he plans to use her? Not as a hostage against the Dragon King but as… 

 

NO!

 

NO WAY!

 

"I don't need to be reminded, Princess." Said Taeyong. "But that is my order. And since I am King here, you are to obey me."

 

"Is this the part where I exercise more fight?" Asked Seulgi

 

"No, this is the part where you shall submit." said Taeyong. “Submit to me, Seulgi.” 

 

 

---------

 

 

 

Seulgi entered the Kitchen to get the King’s dinner. Earlier, she cleaned Taeyong’s bedroom. It was one of the two doors that she was curious about. And the bedroom was not as big as she expected. Her bedroom in the dragon palace was even bigger. Only the area where Taeyong met with Kwangsoo was large. Everything else was just right. But then that bedroom looked really cozy. If Kong stayed there… Seulgi expected it to look gloomy and dark. But actually… it looked like a decent room… well more than decent, it was beautiful. Many times the bed called to her. It’s as if tempting her to try it. But she did not dare. She wouldn’t… her pride will not allow her to even set foot on that bed except when she needs to change the sheets.

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

It took her the entire afternoon making sure there is no spec of dust.

 

If she cleans Taeyong’s quarters everyday… she is not going to finish even if she does not sleep at night. She must learn how to clean the room fast.  

 

Seulgi placed the tray on the table. She looked around. Everyone looked busy. But … where is the kitchen head?

 

Seulgi does not know who to ask. Everyone seems to be so occupied.

 

And then Seulgi saw Yeri rushing in.

 

“Yeri!” called Seulgi

 

Yeri stopped walking and turned to Seulgi.

 

“Where is the kitchen head?” asked Seulgi. “It is almost time for the King’s meal. She told me to make sure I always go to the kitchen on time because the meals for the King can’t be late. But where is she? Where is Madame?”

 

“You still have not heard?” asked Yeri. “Madame was transferred.”

 

“Transferred?” asked Seulgi

 

“She was transferred to a very far town, to be a cook for the warriors.” said Yeri.

 

And then Yeri went close to Seulgi whispering.

 

“People say it was punishment. She was thrown out of the castle.” said Yeri.

 

“For what? Why was she punished?” asked Seulgi

 

“Nobody can say for sure.” said Yeri. “She’s been loyal to the officials especially to Miss Sunny who handles every castle affair. So I was also surprised when it was announced earlier.”

 

Even Seulgi was surprised. She is not fond of Madame, far from it. She does not feel even a bit of pity. But this was odd.

 

“Who is cooking now?” asked Seulgi

 

“The servants are actually able to cook. They are used to the recipes. The older servants knows what to do.” said Yeri

 

“But how about the food for the King?” asked Seulgi

 

“Come, I will introduce you to Helen.” said Yeri.

 

Seulgi was led to an old woman who was putting some meat onto a plate.

 

“Helen, this is Seulgi. She is the one serving the King.” said Yeri

 

Helen patted Seulgi’s shoulder making Seulgi winced in pain.

 

“Sorry… my body still aches.” said Seulgi

 

“I saw what happened to you yesterday. And I would tell you two things. First, that is finally out of the way. She deserves that for what she did to you and for all the violence she has done to the servants. I think the punishment was not enough. She should have been kicked and punched too the way she told those girls to hurt you. But a punishment is better than nothing. So let us all rejoice that she’s no longer in this kitchen.” said Helen.  

 

Well it seems like Madame isn’t so loved by many.

 

“Second.” said Helen. “You’ve got big balls.”

 

BALLS?

 

“I assure you I do not have… umm… balls.” said Seulgi

 

Helen burst out laughing.

 

“You know what I mean!” said Helen. “You chopped all those wood and I knew you’ve got something. I knew you’ve got a heart of steel.”

 

Seulgi took a deep breath.

 

Wow… that just made her chest tighten.  

 

“You’ve gained my respect, Girl.” said Helen.

 

Seulgi smiled even when it hurt to do so.

 

“Thank you.” said Seulgi.

 

“Here, put this on the tray. The King would like this.” said Helen.

 

Seulgi noticed something in the soup.

 

“Is that corn?” asked Seulgi

 

Oh no…

 

Helen nodded.

 

Seulgi’s brows closed in. Helen and Yeri exchanged a glance.

 

“Hmm… I don’t think the King eats corn.” said Seulgi

 

Helen’s brow raised.

 

“Oh I mean… maybe it’s all right. I… the soup looks really good. I am sure he’ll finish this in one go.” Seulgi lied.

 

Helen smiled.

 

“It seems like you know things about the King that not many of us knows. You will be very helpful in preparing meals for him.” said Helen. “I cooked another soup. Does he like mushroom?”

 

Seulgi bit her lip and regret it when she bit the wound.

 

“Umm… I think mushroom is fine.” said Seulgi.

 

Helen smiled and proceed to prepare the King’s soup.

 

------------------

 

 

 

That night Seulgi felt her heart racing. Where is she going to sleep. Seulgi sighed. Taeyong told her she is to stay in his quarters but he did not say where she's supposed to retire. And she can't even ask Taeyong. It is now so late but he still did not return to his room yet.

 

 Seulgi sighed as she took a rug and turned to the last door she has not entered. This was the only room she has not cleaned today. Seulgi held the knob and turned it. And then she entered the room. It was dark and so she opened several candles. Inside was a bedroom. There was a bed and a closet and a mirror with what seems like female items like a beautiful hairbrush and some jewelries.

 

Seulgi was amazed. The room actually looked well maintained even if it was not used for centuries, except for some dust. And then Seulgi noticed an adjoining door. And there could only be one room beside this one, Taeyong's bedroom. 

 

Seulgi gulped.

 

This must be the Queen's bedroom...or if not the queen then possibly a Mistress. She did not notice the door when she cleaned the King's room earlier. 

 

Seulgi sighed. Surely Taeyong is not going to ask her to stay here, isn't it? This is too much for a servant like her. This is such a pretty room.

 

Seulgi shook her head. She's getting ahead of herself. The possibility is that she would have to sleep on the floor. That's right. She should get used to it. 

 

But what if a woman occupies this room? Just the thought that Taeyong is going to allow another woman to sleep in the room adjoining his... it made Seulgi's chest ache for some reason. More so if she stays in this room and sees him bringing that woman here... Seulgi felt a painful squeeze in her chest again. She does not like that thought one bit. 

 

What is she even thinking?

 

Taeyong is celibate... But until when? Is he really planning to free Kong? Is there a possibility he'll use her? Somehow the thought that Taeyong is going to touch her and make love to her made Seulgi feel hot... but then... Does Taeyong even want her? Time and time again he said she is like a sister to him. That means he does not desire her...

 

What is he really planning?

 

Seulgi sighed. Enough of this. It's only causing her anxiety. 

 

Seulgi cleaned the dusts off. She made sure that everything is clean. And when she thought she was done, she sat on the floor beside the bed. She's so tired. She has to wait for Taeyong and ask him about her sleeping arrangement. 

 

But for now... 

 

Seulgi yawned. She would only close her eyes for a minute...

 

 

--------

 

Seulgi opened her eyes and light made it hard to open them completely. After sometime, she realized she was on the bed, sun light from the window streaming in. Seulgi sat up immediately. What is she doing on the bed? Did she crawl up here while sleeping? Wow... she must've looked like a snake. 

 

And then Seulgi noticed a blanket over her. She had even put a blanket on herself...

 

Seulgi sighed as she felt something melt in her chest.

 

Did Taeyong... Did he put her on the bed and covered her with a blanket? But why would he? 

 

Seulgi sighed as she stood up. She needs to prepare Taeyong's breakfast. 

 

Seulgi was rushing as she opened the door and found Taeyong seated by the dinning table looking at a parchment.

 

"I am sorry I woke up late. I will bring you your breakfast shortly." Said Seulgi.

 

She does not know what time Taeyong came back to his quarters but..  he woke up earlier than her. He must be angry. 

 

"You should at least comb your hair." Said Taeyong.

 

Huh? Seulgi touched her hair and felt blood going to her face. She did not even comb her hair. She must look hideous.

 

Seulgi pulled the loosen tie on her hair and combed her hair with her fingers. She was about to tie her hair again when she felt warm hands touching her stopping her movement. She looked up and saw Taeyong standing in front of her, she could feel his breath on her face. 

 

"You look more beautiful when your hair is down." Said Taeyong

 

Seulgi's throat moved. Why... is her heart trying to break free from her chest?

 

And then she felt Taeyong's hand going to her hair, caressing it. 

 

"I have known you were beautiful since you were a child... but seeing you after you just woke up… took my breath away... especially with your hair free." Said Taeyong. 

 

And then Taeyong's hand went to Seulgi's cheek.

 

"The bruise has faded... and the wounds have dried up." Said Taeyong, his voice a whisper sending goosebumps on Seulgi's skin.

 

Seulgi tried to turn her face away. She just realized how ugly she looks with her bruises.

 

But Taeyong turned her face back to him.

 

"The wounds did nothing to change your beauty, Princess." Said Taeyong. 

 

Seulgi's eyes widened. Why is Taeyong being Taeyong again... his words sipping through her heart making her feel special and beautiful.

 

And then Taeyong took the tie from Seulgi's hand and started combing her hair with his fingers. And then he was lifting her hair as if he's tying them. Taeyong stepped closer.

 

Seulgi gulped. Her face is literally brushing Taeyong's chest as he tied her hair. She could smell that manly scent... she could feel his warmth... she felt soft…

 

Seulgi closed her eyes. And then she felt something blowing in her ear as Taeyong whispered.

 

"Keep it tied when you go out of this room." Said Taeyong. "Don't let anyone else see your hair down." 

 

Seulgi's eyes opened.

 

And then she saw the intensity in Taeyong's eyes. It was so strong as if he desires... no he wouldn't...

 

And then Taeyong stared at her nose down her lips.

 

And his eyes lingered there. Seulgi's lips parted. She saw Taeyong's jaw clenched.

 

And then Taeyong took several steps away. 

 

"Take that box with you." Said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi saw a large box on the dinning table. It looked beautiful and it was made of wood.

 

"What is it?" Asked Seulgi, her voice still breathless.

 

"Open it." Said Taeyong, his voice strained.

 

Seulgi opened the box and saw dried herbs. 

 

"Are these tea leaves?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Yes take it to the kitchen. I want them prepared for me twice a day." Said Taeyong.

 

"Twice? This must be a really special tea." Said Seulgi, her voice returning to normal 

 

"It is. Kwangsoo said Kong gave it to King Max when their bond as brothers was still intact. That was King Max' favorite tea." Said Taeyong.

 

No… if Kong gave this to the rightful King…

 

"Bbut... You Highness if Kong gave it to the King, shouldn't you first have it checked? What if this isn't good-"

 

"Kwangsoo said there was a time when King Max and Kong had a good relationship as brothers. This tea is the evidence of that. I want this tea prepared for me." Said Taeyong

 

"But Your Highness..."

 

"Just do what I ordered you, Seulgi." Said Taeyong. "This is the only way I would get to know more about my great grandfather."

 

Seulgi bit her lip. She could not argue with that. The tea was King Max' favorite. Taeyong wanted to experience a part of his great grandfather. 

 

"I will take this to the kitchen, Your Highness." Said Seulgi

 

-----------

 

Seulgi was pouring hot water on the tea leaves when Yeri came in.

 

"You're preparing tea?" Asked Yeri

 

"The King wants it." Said Seulgi

 

"It's the same tea King Max used to drink everyday." Said Helen

 

"You were already here during King Max' reign, Helen?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Yes, I was only a child then but I remember the scent of the tea my mother prepares for him everyday." Said Helen

 

"It IS the same tea, Helen. The King told me King Max liked this tea." Said Seulgi

 

Yeri walked closer to Seulgi, her brows closed in. And then she lowered her head to smell the tea. 

 

"What wrong?" Asked Seulgi

 

Yeri took a dried tea leaf on Seulgi's side and put it in .

 

"What are you doing Yeri?" Helen sounded alarmed. "Even if you are curious you can not just take the King's tea!"

 

And the Yeri immediately spit the tea leaf out and even took water to clean  .

 

"What's wrong Yeri?" Asked Seulgi

 

Yeri pulled Seulgi out of the kitchen towards the garden.

 

"What's the problem, Yeri?" Asked Seulgi.

 

Yeri looked pale as she took a deep breath.

 

"Seulgi... do you trust me?" Asked Yeri

 

"Yes I mean isn't obvious that I trust you the most out of all the people here. Why?" Asked Seulgi

 

"Then believe me when I say that the tea you are preparing for the King is not good for him." Said Yeri

 

"What?" Seulgi felt dread. "What do you mean?"

 

Yeri sighed.

 

"I am certain. Here in the South we call it Derin Leaves. I don't know if it exists outside the south. You may call it another name. It is used as a way to relax muscles. When men goes to work and they go home tired and feel their muscles stiff, they take this tea to relax their muscles." Said Yeri

 

"That's not so bad." Said Seulgi

 

Yeri shook her head.

 

"But if you take too much of this tea it slowly poisons the body. It makes the muscles soft and even the bones soft." Said Yeri

 

Seulgi's eyes widened. 

 

"It weakens the person. In worst case, the person will no longer be able to stand up. He will only lie down until his dying day." Said Yeri

 

"Oh no..." Seulgi closed her eyes tight. "No... if that is true I can not serve this to Taeyong, I can't."

 

Seulgi opened her eyes.

 

"How are you certain?" She asked.

 

"I have seen a couple of people who got addicted to this tea and lost their strength. I have tried to heal them through other kinds of herbs. But it is simply impossible once the body has already deteriorated." Said Yeri

 

"Yeri... are you a healer?" Asked Seulgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter