Prologue

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

WARNING: INTENSE FIGHT SCENES AHEAD!

 

Prologue

 

Jinyoung ran through the field as fast as his muscled legs would enable him. He was running, free. The feeling was exhilarating as moist dew from the grass hit his knees. No matter how high the grasses were, they did not hinder his way. He was trained to be fast, to be swift and no amount of grass or even sinkhole can ever deter him. And then he saw the shadow looming in on him. He could smell its scent.

“Straight ahead! Five shifter!” shouted Jinyoung.

“I’m on it!” the shadow jumped high and revealed his brother, Sehun. They’ve been in the Brotherhood since birth. They know each person’s move. They can rely on each other like you rely on your arm.

Soon Jinyoung stopped in front of five Jaguar shifters. At the sight of him, they looked stunned. They did not hear his approach, which was what he was trained for.

“Hey… now what would you be doing here in this side of the forest, Jaguars?” asked Jinyoung.

One of the Jaguar shifters lifted his nose in the air.

“I can’t smell what you are.” Said the Jaguar.

“Oh…” Jinyoung tried to smell his arm. “Well I guess lavender soap really is effective.”

The other Jaguar shifter took a step towards him.

“I wouldn’t get too close if I were you.” said Jinyoung.

“You are only one, we are five. You should be scared out of your wits now.” Said the second Jaguar shifter.

“Do I look scared to you?” asked Jinyoung, his face showed a smirk that can only mean he’s enjoying this.

“You are a kid.” Said another Jaguar. “You are not even a man yet.”

Jinyoung chuckled.

“And you are five grown up men who did not know how to get home. Why would five grown up men be loitering around this territory?” asked Jinyoung. “This is not your home, Jaguars. “

The Jaguars started to put their hands on the ground, ready to shift into their animal form.

“You can’t talk if you shift. So might as well stand straight and talk to me.” Said Jinyoung.

“You are not important to us. Finish him!” said the first Jaguar.

The Five Jaguars shifted and attacked Jinyoung all at the same time. But Jinyoung was ready, he quickly drew his sword and slashed one Jaguar’s mouth as it came to him. And then he ducked from an attack before slashing the chest of another Jaguar. He then grabbed the head of another Jaguar leaping towards him, and then he crushed its head with his hand. The two remaining Jaguars were on their way to attacked him when they both fell on the ground with slashes of swords at their backs.

“That was easy.” Said Jinyoung

“But messy. Look at yourself. Did you really have to crush his head? Look at all the blood on you? You’d smell like a Jaguar the entire day.” Said Sehun.

“That one said I’m not even a man yet.” Said Jinyoung.

“But they’re right. We’re still young. We have not even entered the age of shifter maturity.” Said Sehun.

“Yeah yeah fine. Did you leave anyone alive?” asked Jinyoung

Sehun nodded.

“I knew you’d kill those three.” Said Sehun.

“And I know I can rely on you to use your head.” Sid Jinyoung.

 Sehun rolled his eyes. He grabbed one of the Jaguar’s hair. He lifted it and the Jaguar groaned in pain.

“Speak or you will not fear death but a never ending, long agonizing pain.” Sehun said near the Jaguar’s ear.

The Jaguar slowly returned to his human form. His back was full of blood from the slash Sehun did  on him. The Jaguar was shaking.

“Why are you here in the Lion territory?” asked Sehun.

“Our tribe… made an alliance with the Panthers.” Said the Jaguar.

Sehun’s eyes sharpened. Panthers. Those creatures had always wanted to get the Lion’s territory. They had always tried to attack the Lions.

“What kind of Alliance?” asked Sehun.

“We will be the lookout. We will exterminate any help that may come from outside while the Panthers attack the Lions.”

Sehun’s eyes widened.

He roared.

“You need to go back home, Sehun.” Said Jinyoung. “I will go fight with you. Save your people.”

“How many Jaguars are there?” asked Sehun

Sehun had always been the person with a cool head. Despite his emotions, he can still think of the important things to do in a combat or war. He will not go straight into a fight without studying the risk.

“Around sixty.” Said the Jaguar.

“I will take on the Jaguars that will block our way. Just go straight ahead.” Said Jinyoung

“That will not be an easy feat, Jinyoung.” Said Sehun

“We are brothers.” Said Jinyoung. “Your family is in danger. I know you would do the same if mine was in the same situation. Besides… we were never trained to win easy. We were trained to win the unconquerable. Now let’s go. We don’t have much time.”

Sehun nodded. He stuck his sword on the Jaguar’s chest and then they started to run as fast as they can toward his home, the Lion Territory.

True to his words, Jinyoung fought every Jaguar that came on the way while Sehun continued to run. But there were so many Jaguars and Sehun had to fight some of them too.

Suddenly a gust of strong wind made the Jaguars stop attacking. But Sehun continued to run. He knew where that wind came from. His brothers had arrived. In just a moment, Sehun saw a shadow running close to him.

“Tell me the situation.”

“Sixty Jaguars on the lookout. Panthers attacking the Lions. Jaguars on the Panther’s side.” Said Sehun, giving the shortest but most concise way to tell his brother V what happened. These things were also part of their training. They know how to communicate with each other in these crucial situations. Sometimes, they don’t even need to talk to know what the other brother is thinking. Especially with V… V has the ability to predict people’s next step. It’s usually an educated guess that turns out right.

“Taeyong will help Jinyoung put the Jaguars at bay. I will go with you and penetrate the battlefield.”

Sehun closed his eyes. His home… where his family is… his friends… has suddenly become the battlefield.

“Put your worries aside.” Said V. “Your Lion soldiers are strong.  I am sure they will not make it easy for the Panthers.”

Sehun nodded.

“How did you and Taeyong find out?” asked Sehun

“We saw three Jaguars on our way back to the Order. We choked some information out of them.” Said V.

And when V said choked, he meant it literally.

“And the mission?” asked Sehun

“We got it.” Said V. “That fox sure knew how to hide.”

“But he can never hide from you and Taeyong.” said Sehun.

Both V and Taeyong had brains like several people combined. All four of them were gifted with sharp senses. Anyone who tries to hide from them is bound to be found sooner than later.

Taeyong and Jinyoung continued to block every Jaguar that came Sehun and V’s way.

“There. That’s a clearing!” said Sehun.

V and Sehun ran towards the destroyed part of the Lion Territory’s wall.

Inside the wall, it was chaos. There were so many Panther shifters and the Lion shifters are scattered everywhere. There were several Lion Soldiers who were fighting and some Lions who were either wounded or dead.

Sehun’s hands clenched to fists.

“Secure your family.” Said V.

“I need to fight alongside you, brother. I can’t leave you to fight these on your own.” Said Sehun.

“I can handle this.” Said V

“You can’t be arrogant in this situation, V! This is more than the Jaguars outside!” said Sehun.

V grabbed Sehun’s neckline. V’s eyes turning blue with that deadly look which sometimes frighten even Sehun.

“Secure your family, Sehun.” Said V, his voice tight with anger. “When I say I can handle this, I will. Go! Secure your family.”

Sehun took a deep breath.

“I don’t want anyone else to lose someone they love…” said V

Sehun’s eyes widened. And then he understood. They are brothers. They will fight together and they will also fight for each other… even up to the point of death. They always have each other’s back. They are one.

Sehun nodded. And then he ran to look for his family.

---------------

 

Taeyong was covered in blood when he reached Sehun. Sehun was also covered in blood. But the blood on them were from different creatures.

“Did you… lose anyone?” asked Taeyong

Sehun sighed.

“This is war… we are bound to lose someone in this war…” said Sehun kneeling while he continued to dig a hole in the ground to lay a Lion’s body.

Taeyong’s throat moved.

“Who is it?” as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter