Dragon King: Chapter 4

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Dragon King Chapter 4

 

 

It was a cold day when the baby was born… an unusually cold day. It was rare that it would be that cold at that time of the year, but a cold breeze had stayed in the wolf tribe and the old people found it odd. The child born was female. And she brought joy to her mother who had the same eyes as hers.
“My beautiful daughter…” said Mala, lying on bed cradling her newborn child.
“Indeed.” Said Raya. “She will be as beautiful as you and Irene.”
Mala smiled.
“And she will be a great healer like her grandma.” Said Mala
A warrior burst inside the tent.
“Mala… you’ve given birth?” The warrior looked worried. 
“My Love… our daughter.” Said Mala, smiling at her mate.
The warrior took the baby from his mate’s arm. 
“Beautiful.” He said. “You are beautiful, My daughter….We shall name her… Jisoo…”
“You named her after our mother but she is still alive. What will she say once she finds out?” asked Raya
“She will be pleased. My daughter Jisoo will grow up to be a great healer like her grandma.” Said the warrior
Mala smiled.
“The baby has a mark just below her chest though. We have to find out what that mark means. If it is bad luck, we have to counter it.” Said Raya
For the wolf tribe, birthmarks are symbolic and could show the possible fate of the child.
“It is just an ordinary birthmark.” Said Mala. “It will go away eventually.” 
“My daughter will never bring bad luck. She is special.” Said the warrior.
---------
Raya went to her sister immediately after she talked with some elders who knew the old ways. She consulted the birthmark of her niece and was terribly worried after she heard what they said.
“Mala… you have to listen… the mark on Jisoo’s chest is not ordinary. It is the mark of an ancient creature, a powerful creature of destruction. She will bring chaos and deaths to the tribe if we do not act.” Said Raya
“Act? What do you mean?” Asked Mala
“The creature will claim Jisoo in the future. We do not know what destruction it will cause us! Mala the cold breeze… it isn’t a coincidence. The creature is from the north… the Elders said the creature will know that Jisoo is his.” Said Raya
Irene gasped, she just entered the tent and heard what her Aunt said.
Mala sighed.
“Jisoo is my daughter. She is not some offering to a destructive creature.” Said Mala. “My daughter will stay here with us.”
But Raya insisted.
“Our clan will suffer because of your daughter, Mala.” Said Raya. “Think of everyone!”
“My daughter will not cause destruction. She is only a child!” said Mala, her voice loud.
 Raya’s eyes narrowed. She took a  deep breath. 
“Do not think of only the life of one child compared to the entire clan.” Said Raya
And then Raya left in anger.
Irene sat beside her mother.
“What you heard isn’t true. Your sister is an ordinary wolf.” Said Mala
Irene nodded and then she bit her lip.
“ Why did you name the baby after grandma?” asked Irene
“Because your grandma is the greatest healer of the clan.” Said Mala
“So why did you not name me Jisoo instead? I want to be a great healer, mother.” Said Irene
“Irene is my grand mother. She is a beautiful woman who was kind and gentle. We wanted you to grow up like her.” Said Mala
Irene pouted. She… likes the name Jisoo more… A great healer.
In only a matter of days, news spread that Jisoo’s father died in the battle. A week after, it was Jisoo’s mother who died. Wolf mates die shortly after each other. Raya was anxious and scared! Her theory about Jisoo’s birthmark proved to be true. 
Irene was holding her baby sister, crying, when Raya came in.
“Give me your sister.” Said Raya.
Irene gave the baby to Raya, not knowing the danger.
“If we don’t do something, there will be no end to the deaths.” Said Raya
“What do you mean, Aunt?” asked Irene
“I am taking her to the northern border. That’s where she belongs.” Said Raya
“But it’s freezing there, Aunt.” Said Irene
“I am doing this for the Tribe!” said Raya
Raya ran away. Irene did not know what to do? Did Jisoo cause their parent’s death? How many more will die if Jisoo stays? But… but she can’t let her sister die like that!
It took a while before Irene had the courage to disobey her Aunt. She went to find her cousin. The other warriors knew about the birthmark curse and did not want to get involved. Irene waited for her cousin Jinyoung until that evening. And when Jinyoung came… Irene told everything.
“That is murder! She is going to get my little cousin die in that cold!” said Jinyoung
“Cousin please… save my sister… I only have her now.” Said Irene
It took two days before Jinyoung returned to the tribe. And he brought the baby safe home. But the baby was freezing. It kept shivering even when the cold breeze was no longer around. It was only Grand Ma Jisoo who was able to warm the baby. Jinyoung faced the Wolves.
“You have brought the curse back.” Said a wolf
“Curse? You blame the child for the death of her warrior father? What can a baby do? Her father went to battle. We get wounded in battle and deaths are normal! Her mother died because she lost her mate. That is normal for wolves! Are we going to blame each death to a baby who knows nothing?”Jinyoung’s voice was full of anger. “You almost allowed a infant wolf to die in that cold mountain. You are all murderers!” 
Raya was there and she was crying.
“I only did it for our people!” said Raya
“You did it because you lack love! You should be the one protecting Jisoo, not killing her! You are my cousin’s Aunt, sister of their mother!” said Jinyoung. “I do not believe Jisoo is cursed. What I believe is that people will die of illness and battles because that is how Vishox is. But I will not allow you to blame a child for the lost lives. I will protect this child and anyone who would attempt to hurt her will go through me.” 
Everyone became silent. 
----------

Jisoo sighed as she looked at the stars… the war in the west is now over… the injured are taken cared of… finally she can rest early...
Irene sat next to Jisoo.
“Is it tiring?” asked Irene
“A little.” Said Jisoo
Irene smiled as she gave Jisoo a cup of warm tea. And then she looked around.
“Everyone here looks up to you… you are a  great healer, Jisoo.” Said Irene.
“You are too.” Said Jisoo
“No… it’s different…” said Irene. “I am always amazed how… when you were a child everyone avoided you and treated you bad… everyone thought you were cursed because of that mark.  But as soon as you learned healing… as soon as people saw how gifted you were… they let their prejudice against you go… and now, everyone here loves you.” 
“It was because of people like you… of cousin Jinyoung and GrandMa who never left my side, you all protected me and loved me.” Said Jisoo. “That is why I could not give up… because you all kept fighting for me.” 
Irene hugged Jisoo.
“Mother and Father would be happy to see what you have become, sister.” Said Irene. “They have wanted you to become a great healer.”
Jisoo hugged her sister back. But then she smelt that scent in the air… why does it smell like her mate is just around?
Jisoo pulled away from Irene and looked around. But there was no one else in there.
“What’s the matter?” asked Irene
Jisoo shook her head.
“Must be my imagination.” Said Jisoo


-------
It was a few days after the war and the Wolf Tribe were celebrating their victory. V and Taeyong were part of the celebration as heroes. Sehun had to leave immediately with his warriors to go straight for their missions. The celebration was a feast. 
V sighed. The cultural difference is shocking though.
The Wolves sit on chairs during meals but when they are gathered as a big assembly, they prefer to sit on the floor with only a pillow to cushion them. Not only that, they love eating with their hands. They have utensils but it’s only a knife and a fork. But they use their hands quite often and no one is bothered by it. 
The most shocking to V was how Wolves treat their mates! It was ridiculous! Wolf mates sit so close to each other as if the female is leaning on the male’s body. And the male seems to like it very much. The male feeds the female with his  bare hands and the female eat it with  so much gusto. The mates touch each other like they could not wait to go inside their room to make love privately. They would kiss each other and bite each other as if no one is watching! V tried not to show any disgust … but it was just too much for him to watch. All of these are savage… but they look to be enjoying it and having the times of their lives.
V sighed as he saw Jisoo walk pass by. She’s wearing a white dress that flows down her body. She is smiling as she hugged Nayeon. And then she roamed her eyes and saw Irene dancing with the other women. Jisoo giggled.
 She looked like a vision. 
Only that she was real because V could see the other men also looking. Irritating wolf men! 
Last night… he was going to visit Irene and Jisoo in the healing tent to tell them that Jinyoung had given approval that they can now leave for the north… but he heard what the sisters were talking about and he didn’t know why he stayed hidden and listened.
 Yup… a king like him eavesdropped! 
It was pathetic.
 But when he heard how people treated Jisoo when she was young… how they treated her as a curse… he became so furious he wanted to wake all the wolves up and ask who among them had dared inflict pain on young Jisoo!
 Jisoo… the reckless and irritating woman does not deserve to be treated that way. Because regardless of her recklessness, she is a kind soul with a beautiful heart. A woman who does not care for her own life for the sake of others. 
 V noticed Jisoo then went to get some food. After a while, she looked at a vacant place to eat. She sat across V. And then she started eating her meal… with bare hands!
V’s eyes narrowed.
Jisoo started eating and smiled widely as she savored the flavor. 
“Mmmm… this is so good.” Said Jisoo. “The best.”
It was a piece of turkey. She ate with vigor and… she was eating and closing her eyes as if she’s giddy! Giddy with how good the food was. He has never seen Jisoo get this happy eating anything from the dragon kingdom! She even recently ate much much less than what she should, except for the pudding. She loves puddings… very much.
But then Jisoo stopped chewing her food. She seemed to be sniffing the air around her. Jisoo looked up and saw him looking at her. Jisoo’s eyes widened and fell open.
“Oh no… I’m so sorry, My Lord… I did not realize…” Jisoo gulped. “That you were the one seated in front of me.”
Jisoo immediately took a fork on the table. She started eating the meat with more grace… but with less vigor… She ate much slower and less… happy.
 V’s eyes narrowed. Jisoo maybe eating with more grace now… but V liked it better when she was eating well.  
“Your face looks so hollow.” Said V
Jisoo’s brow rose as she looked up at V.
“Have you not been eating well?” asked V “I can see the bones on your cheeks.”
“Oh…” Jisoo bit her lip. “I am sorry my face bothers you. I… umm…” Jisoo looked around. “Ah there. I should probably transfer to the other table so you can eat at peace, My Lord.”
Jisoo was standing up when V spoke.
"Stay.” said V. “ Stay here… eat here.”
Jisoo slowly returned to her seat and started eating slowly… awkwardly…
“You like the food here.” said V.     
  Jisoo was surprised. Is the King really talking to her?
“Umm… yes… I grew up here. I missed a lot of food from the tribe, My Lord.” Said Jisoo
“Then if you like the food here so much, why did you loose so much weight?” asked V
Jisoo almost choked. She took a deep breath.
“I… don’t think I lost weight, My Lord.” Said Jisoo. “I… have not notice any change… but then… since Cousin started the war in the west, it had not been easy. I had many sleepless nights taking care of injured warriors, of preparing concoctions for the upcoming battle, of taking care of my cousin and even his mate… perhaps… it is possible that I lost weight because of all those.”
Jisoo gulped. She is lying. Ever since she left the dragon kingdom… she lost appetite. Even when the Wolf cooks were skilled, she could not eat properly. It was only the past days that she finally recovered her appetite… and she has a suspicion that it is because her mate is around her now. 
V started eating the few food on his plate as Jisoo continued to eat. 
The difference in culture is so extreme… V could not imagine how Irene and Jisoo were able to cope with the dragon kingdom. Irene did it so fast. Jisoo took years to adapt. V always commended Irene for that and got irritated with Jisoo so many times for her clumsiness and lack of etiquette.  But seeing all these… he could see why she had a hard time. Somehow… he get a little more understanding of what little Jisoo went through during her first years in the Dragon Kingdom… It must have been very difficult.
“Do you want me to get you more food, My Lord?” asked Jisoo. “You’re eating too little.”
V stared at Jisoo for what seemed like minutes. His eyes looked so different than his usual irritated face… why is he looking at her like there’s gentleness in his eyes?
“Umm.. But if you’re full then maybe I should just…”
“Yes.” Said V. “I would like more food please. Get more food for yourself too. And return here.” 
Jisoo’s throat moved. Why… is her chest jumping up and down?
----------
Jisoo was inside the carriage with Irene going back to the dragon kingdom. Their cousin Jinyoung is now the King of the West. They were only able to celebrate it for a few days after taking care of the injured. They had to leave immediately because they’ve been away from the dragon kingdom for a month. It was Irene who was pushing that they leave as soon as possible. Jisoo thinks it may perhaps have something to do with what Irene felt before leaving the dragon kingdom. Irene felt King V getting cold towards her. Or maybe… King V’s needing is starting anytime soon.
Irene took a deep breath.
“What is the matter?” asked Jisoo
“I am just… so unsure what will happen once we arrive.” Said Irene. “What if the king does not want me anymore?”
So it’s the same matter that’s bothering Irene.
Jisoo shook her head.
“You two were very warm when he came to the Wolf Tribe.” Said Jisoo
“Only when he arrived.” Said Irene. “Because I missed him. But I don’t think he missed me. He did not seek me the entire time he was in the Wolf Tribe.”
“He was occupied with so many things, sister. Remember, it was a war. Cousin Jinyoung was not physically fit. King V was in the Wolf Tribe to help the clan win the war.” Said Jisoo
Irene sighed.
“I know I am being selfish… but we were apart for a month… if he missed me, he would have sought me… even if it’s just a few moments.” said Irene.
Jisoo understands Irene’s concern. She is a woman too… indeed, King V’s coldness towards her sister is odd. He may be a cold person in general… but he wasn’t cold to his mistress the past years.
 “Maybe it’s just my insecurities. Once we go back, I will leave my doubts behind.” Said Irene. “I need to stop worrying and overthinking.”
Jisoo nodded.
-----------

V felt the heat rising in his veins. His needing had started  and it seems it’s more vicious than usual. The heat is squeezing him inside as if he is about to burst if he isn’t relieved. It was a few months after Irene and Jisoo arrived from the wolf Tribe. Everytime  he had needing since then… he would go to Irene…but truth be told… he feels like things between him and Irene had changed for a while now. It felt like he was only doing a routine. For a long time now… it seems… a distance was formed between them. 
V walked the hallway and stopped outside Irene’s room. It’s better to get on with it. Maybe if he gives Irene more attention, things will be back to the way it was. 
V entered Irene’s room and found her on the bed wearing a red silk robe. She knew he was needing and she was ready for him.
“My Lord, you came.” Said Irene
V nodded. And then he took his robe off. He went to the bed and touched Irene’s face. 
“I have missed you, My Lord.” Said Irene. 
Irene lifted her lips and kissed V with hunger and passion. But why does it feel like King V isn’t kissing her back? 
Irene pulled back a little.
“What’s the matter , My Lord?” asked Irene
V closed his eyes tight as he felt the pain of his needing, his perspiration running down his face.
“My Lord I need to relieve you soon.” Said Irene.
Irene touched V’s chest and started kissing V’s neck. But V stopped her by moving away from the bed.
“My Lord…”
V took a deep breath. What is wrong with him? Why does he feel this way? It’s like… he does not like Irene’s skin touching him! Why does he feel so irritated by her touch? She had been his mistress for years… so why?
V picked up his robe and wore it.
Irene stood up and went beside V, but before she could touch V, V walked out of the room without looking back.
Irene sank on the floor. Her fear has become reality… no… it has been months… she would kiss the king but he would not kiss her back… he would touch her but there was no affection… it felt cold… she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter