King of the South: Chapter 1

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

How are you Guys? Let me first say thank you for making Stargazer reach 700 subscribers! I know some of those subscribers are reading this story too. Thank you! Yey! :D

Second, I am so sorry I had to rest for a while because the fourth story of this series is making me stressed for some reason. It took me weeks ... or maybe a month before I could finish this one chapter alone. I always had to put it down becaise my mind just stops functioning everytime I start writing it. :( 

 Plus... things are not ok recently in my real world. I know some of you are experiencing the wrath of covid19 too. And from where I am from, my place is going to be on hard lockdown for a few days because of increasing numbers of covid positive patients. I hope you are all taking care of your bodies and are safe wherever you are all over the world. Most people are at home during this time but I still had to go out and work everyday. I am not complaining but that means I still am busy recently. :(  I have no idea what will happen on the next days to come. I can not promise a regular update but I will update whenever I  can. Thank you for patiently waiting. :D

Stay safe everyone! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

King of the South
Chapter 1

 


Jihyun rushed inside the small dungeon and carefully closed the door behind her. She faced the people inside.
“Your Highness…” Jihyun knelt before the King.
The King raised his hand and allowed Jihyun to stand up.
“Were you careful, Jihyun?” asked the warrior who looked so rugged, Jihyun tried not to cringe at the sight of the dirt all over his face. 
“Yes, Gong Yoo.” Said Jihyun. “Of course I was very careful. I made sure nobody was following me.”
Gong Yoo sneered.
The King sighed.
“I want you to know…both of you that I trust you  both with my life. That is why you are both here.” Said the King. “You must find it in yourselves to work together. You are… going to be the  Southern Kingdom’s last line  of defense.”
Jihyun nodded.
“Your Highness… your brother is acting fast.” Said Jihyun. “Since Lord Kong left the South, he had already brought havoc in the West and the East. Both Kingdoms had already fallen. We all know he will go to the North next now that he has gained more influence and power. He is now ready to take on the dragons.”
The King closed his eyes for a while. The Wolf and Lion King may not be his brothers by blood… but they are his brothers in all aspects of life. Their death has brought so much sorrow in his heart.  More so because his own blood brother was behind their murder.
“Lord Kong will not stop until  he has conquered all of Vishox. His ambition to be supreme Ruler will not stop until he is put to death.” Said Gong Yoo. “Forgive me for speaking this way about your  brother, your Highness but…”
“I understand.” Said the King. “You are right… thousands of deaths… Kingdoms had fallen and more to come if he is not stopped.” 
Jihyun sighed.
“Your Highness…  He will come after you.” Said Jihyun. “He definitely will come after you. You are one of the blocks in his way.”
The King nodded.
“And he will also come after my son.” Said the King. “He will make sure no one from my family survives so that no one else will have a claim to the throne.”
“What do you wish us  to do, Your Highness? We will do everything we can to serve you.” Said Gong Yoo
Jihyun nodded. In that, they completely agree.
“We have prepared both of you for this day. Everyone in the kingdom thinks Gong Yoo is just a crazy warrior roaming around the forest. Jihyun makes potions but everyone knows she’s no  good. Everyone thinks Jihyun is just an aspiring sorceress who is worth nothing.” Said the King. “But they have no idea how good of a warrior and strategist you  both are. You have both sacrificed honor and dignity for this kingdom.”
“It is of little sacrifice, your  Highness… as long as we can protect you.” Said Jihyun.
The King put his hand on Jihyun’s shoulder.
“I wish there is a chance for me to give you  both the honor you deserve… However… I do not think I have time to do  that.” Said the King. “We must act fast.”
“Tell us what to do, Your Highness.” Said Gong Yoo
The King took a few steps away.
“I  am certain my brothers… the Lion and the Wolf King made sure their heirs survived. Gong Yoo, you must go and find them. If the dragons fall, find the heir to the King’s throne.  Find my  son also… you know where to look for him. My brother        does not know I have a son. It was the best decision I have made in my life when I hid him upon his birth. Kong will take a while to realize that I have an heir too. Get them out of the South. Make sure you take  care and protect the four of them…. Help them to care for each other like real brothers. If there is justice in this world…Eventually… they will reclaim their thrones. Prepare them for that.” Said the King. 
Gong Yoo nodded.
“Jihyun, I  need you to find the remaining Elders of the East. Should you find any survivor, I want you to ask them to  put a wall around the south as soon as Kong enters the kingdom. Make sure that only my bloodline will be able to go in and out  of the wall.” Said the King
Both Jihyun and Gong Yoo took steps forward.
“My King that is suicide!” said Jihyun.
“No, Your Highness, We can’t do  that.” Said Gong Yoo. “Are you trying to lock yourself in here with Lord Kong?”
The King nodded.
“I will stay here and fight with you.” Said Gong Yoo.
“Right now… the fall of this kingdom is almost certain. I am old… I am not as strong as I was. And my brother Kong has become much much stronger. My fall is inevitable. He will have the South in his  hands but I  will make sure he will not have his victory.” Said the King. “The South will be his prison.”
“Your Highness…” Jihyun cried as she knelt in front of the King. 
“I want you to promise me you will protect this kingdom and help restore it.” Said the King. 
Gond Yoo wiped his eyes.
“You are like a father to me… how can you ask me to just let you die in here, Your  Highness?” said Gong Yoo
Jihyun sobbed.
“I am only going to leave your for a while.” Said the King.
“What do you mean, Your Highness… once you die you are no more.” Said Jihyun.

--------

Kong entered the palace. He has fully subdued his brother’s army. And once his brother is killed, Kong will have the entire southern kingdom. He already has in his control the East and the West. And although the dragons were able to escape his hands, he will surely find the dragon family and will take the north completely. He will have Vishox in his hands soon. 
Kong entered the great hall and went towards the King’s chamber. He had found what he was looking for.
“Brother.” Said Kong.
The King did not face Kong as he continued to stare at a painting on the wall. It was of the adult King and his baby brother. 
“We were brothers like no other.” Said the King.
“Yes we are. We are the only blood brothers of all our creatures of  the South. The female mate of ancient creatures usually dies at childbirth. But for some reason… Our mother made it alive after giving birth to you. Sadly… she still perished after giving birth to me. That made our father hate me until the day he died.” Said Kong.
“That is not true. Father loved you as much as he did me. But…Our father loved Mother.” Said the King. “She could make him laugh and cry like no one else could.”
“You lived to see that. I did not.” Said Kong.
“I have tried to share my memories of her with you.” Said the King.
“But you can’t make it real for me. Because no matter how many times you show me your memory, it is never going to be mine.” Said Kong.
“Is that why you want to take everything I have?” asked the King. “To make it real for you?”
Kong laughed.
“It may perhaps have something to do with you always having the better things… Our mother… our father’s love… The throne… your majestic looking power. But no… it isn’t just about you, Brother. I want more than just your throne. I want all of Vishox. I want every knee to bow to me. I want all creatures to tremble at my name. I want them all to honor me.” Said Kong.
“Because you felt deprived of honor all your life.” Said the King
Kong shook his head.
“You will never understand.” Said Kong. “Someone like you who had a wonderful life will never thirst. You made the other kings your brothers. You never aspired to get more power when you actually can. I am not as weak and limited as you are, Brother. I have dreams.” Said Kong.
“Your dreams… it seems to me it is not for the good of all. You are using fear to get your power and you have killed so many.” Said the King.
“Without domination, there could not be victory.” Said Kong.
“You are putting the entire Vishox in darkness.” Said the King.
Kong laughed.
“They will learn to love darkness too, Brother.” Said Kong. “Just as I have learned to love it.”
“You do not know how to love.” Said the King. “You tried to resist any form of love thinking that all the people who ought to have given you love have failed you. You could not forgive them… but the truth is you could not forgive yourself. You could not see our father’s love for you because you always think you caused our mother’s death. The guilt ate you up. Therefore… you allowed yourself to wallow in your own self pity until your pain gave birth to hate.”  
“You have so much words to say for a man who’s about to die.” Said Kong.
“Until the last minute, I wish to talk to my brother… hoping his greed has not totally consumed him.” Said the King.
Kong’s black wings appeared and then his body changed into a large dark green bird. Green light covered his entire body. The room was filled with lightning.  
The King’s golden bright red wings appeared. He flew out the window and Kong followed him. The King’s body started to change. He turned into a large red bird. Yellow light appeared all over him. Red and green thunder fought against each other everywhere causing explosions.
“Say good bye to Vishox, Brother.” Shouted Kong.
And then he flew towards the King on an attack. A gigantic green lightning hit the King on his chest. The King tried to fight it. But Kong was so strong. He used the lighting as a sword as it pierced the King’s chest. And then slowly, the King’s red lightning disappeared… his body started turning into red dusts...
“I wonder how long you would feel the victory…” said the King. “Evil will never triumph good.”
Kong smirked. 
“It just did.” He said.
And then just before the King completely turned into dust, a red light appeared in the sky. It the red dust from the King’s body. And then the King was gone.
Kong roared in triumph. 
Finally! His brother is gone!
“We have won!” shouted Kong. 
There were cheers of Kong’s followers. 
“Kill all my brother’s followers. Make sure none survives.”
And then there was a strong earthquake. Kong saw large vines covering the ends of the Southern Kingdom. He flew towards the border but as he got there, the vines completely covered the entire Kingdom. He flew up but no matter how high he goes, the wall of vines was never ending. Kong used his lightning to breakthrough he barrier but no matter how strong his power was, the barrier was unmoved. 
Kong roared in frustration. 
This can not be! Is he locked up in the South? No! He just conquered the East and the West… if he can not go back there… the people of the East and West will think he is gone! He would lose those kingdoms! And the Dragons! He has to eliminate the dragons! He cannot be imprisoned here in the south. He has to break this wall!
“What is the matter, Master?” asked one of Kong’s followers.
“It seems my brother has prepared for this battle more than I thought he did.” Said Kong. 
Kong roared in anger.
-------------

Gong Yoo saw Prince Hyun Bin looking at the sky that night. It had been centuries since they have left the South. Ancient creatures live longer than most creatures of Vishox. 
Prince Hyun Bin had that forlorn look in his eyes.
“Don’t tell me you had another fight with your son?” asked Gong Yoo.
Hyun Bin sighed.
“I wish it was just another fight. But it wasn’t… hmmm… Bo Gum’s mate… she’s pregnant.” Said Hyun Bin
Gong Yoo’s eyes widened.
“Oh…” 
Hyun Bin closed his eyes tight.
“You… you lost your mate when she gave birth to Yunho, isn’t it?” asked Hyun Bin. “And I lost my mate when she gave birth to Bo Gum… My son is worried… and rightly so.”
Gong Yoo nodded.
“I… do not want my son to lose the woman he loves like the way I lost my mate.” Said Hyun Bin. “If only I can stop the deaths of each female of our kind who gives birth.”
Gong Yoo sighed.
“Bo Gum has to bear a child. He has to continue your bloodline. It is his duty.” Said Gong Yoo.
“Our duty will cause the death of the woman we love… That is not going to make any man happy.” Said Hyun Bin
“So many people has sacrificed their lives so that one day, your bloodline can reclaim the throne.” Said Gong Yoo
“I know…” said Hyun Bin. “Trust me, I know. My father died centuries ago… And I am still here hiding in the East.”
“Do not be impatient.” Said Gong Yoo.
“I do not want my child nor my grandchild to face that monster. I am going to kill it.” Said Hyun Bin.
“Your Uncle may be imprisoned in the South as of the moment, but he is one strong beast. You have been training to be a great warrior. But you will need more time to grow stronger.” Said Gong Yoo
“My father’s death has not been avenged. My son and his family’s life will always be at risk until that monster is killed. I will not stay here doing nothing all my life.” said Hyun Bin.
-------------

Gong Yoo and Hyun Bin met with the elders of the East. It’s been months since Hyun Bin learned he is about to be a grandfather and he’d been agitated. The Prince wanted to enter the south.
“We will never know when we will be ready to face the enemy if we do not know the situation inside.” Said Hyun Bin. “Somebody has to enter it and check the situation.”
“Only you and your son can enter and exit at your will since you are the King  Max’ descendant. But then we can not risk your lives.” Said Orr. 
“We have no choice. I will go. And if I can not make it out… protect Bo Gum at all cost. Protect my grandchild also.” Said Hyun Bin.
“Then if you can not come back… your going inside will be useless, Your Highness.” Said Gong Yoo. “We will still not know the situation inside.”
“It is worth taking a risk.” Said Hyun Bin. “I will go. Take care of everyone for me.”
--------
Sally was waiting for her husband Orr. As elders of the east, they have the power of sorcery that protects Vishox. Now that they are the only two remaining, their responsibilities have become so much heavier. 
Gong Yoo called them again. After Sally and Orr successfully put a wall that would stop the Evil King Kong to continue his plans of conquering the entire Vishox, they are facing another challenge again. This time… the Prince of the South, Hyun Bin just left to check the situation and assess whether they are now ready to fight the enemy. They have formed alliance after alliance to increase the number of warriors. But they still have not found the heir to the Lion King’s throne… even the Wolf King’s heir has not been found.  
Well… maybe they could conquer the south first. And then the rest of Vishox after.
Gong Yoo’s son Yunho walked towards her. The boy is nearing his maturity. And yet he is still a boy.
“This place is one of the hardest to find, Miss. It’s good that you and your husband found us here.” Said Yunho
Sally smiled.
“People call this the Demanix Circle. You see there… there are twelve stones that formed a circle. That’s over there. People say that the Wolf King, The Lion King, The Dragon King and the King of the South once went here together… and they made a pact.” Said Sally
“A pact?” asked Yunho
“Yes.” Said Sally. “A pact…a vow of Brotherhood. They swore to protect and fight for each other like blood brothers.”
Yunho’s eyes widened.
“The Kings of the Vishox seemed to have been united.” Said Yunho.
Sally sighed.
“Yes… they were. Until a greedy and selfish creature poisoned the hearts of so many… Now Vishox is in chaos. All around us there are battles. One clan wants to claim power over the other. They want the throne but are not powerful enough to stay on it.” Said Sally
There was a long moment of silence.
“But the Kings are now dead… and the heirs are still missing.” Said Yunho.
“That is why we are here. People like us       will continue to look for the heirs. And then… we will bring the Demanix Spirit back…. The Unity of the Kings.” Said Sally.
“Is that why my father always call our group the Order of Demanix?” asked Yunho
Sally smiled and nodded.  
Yunho opened his bag and took something out.
“Some bread for you, Miss.” Said Yunho
Sally smiled wider. This boy is such a sweet child. And then as she was reaching for the bread, she saw a vision. 

Sally stood up, her eyes becoming all white. She was glowing and every one around them stoppe d what they were doing as they looked at her.
And then Sally started speaking in a  loud voice. Even Orr and Gong Yoo came running to see what was happening to Sally.
“I see the four Kingdoms rising one after another. The Wolf King first rose on his throne followed by the Lion King… and then the Dragon King and then the King of the South. I see each of them crushing their enemies. A Demon Wolf, A Griffin Lion, A Dragon and an Ancient Winged creature. Only the Kings would be so uniquely powerful as them. Together… they will take back what is rightfully theirs. And Vishox once more will have peace.” Said Sally.
Tears fell from Sally’s eyes as she spoke. 
Yunho stood still and could not move. 
“What is wrong, Miss? Do you feel sick?” asked Yunho.
Orr and Gong Yoo walked towards Sally as Sally’s eyes started to return to normal. 
“A vision.” Said Orr
All the members of the Order of Demanix started talking among themselves.
“Then there’s hope!” shouted one.
“Indeed!”
Sally’s eyes started roaming around as if looking for something.
“What is the matter, Sally?” asked Orr. “What did you see?” 
But Sally remained silent as her eyes fixed on Yunho.
 She saw an older Yunho scolding four boys as the four looked tired and drained on the ground. 
“You will stop all this fighting among yourselves or I am going to break every bone in your bodies! I mean it!” shouted Yunho
The four boys slowly stood up and as they did, Sally saw the four kingdoms rising from the west, east, north and then south… 
Sally felt warm as Orr touched her face.
“What is the matter, tell me Sally.” Said Orr
Sally took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself.
“I saw the kingdoms rising.” Said Sally
Orr nodded as he encouraged Sally to continue.
“Then that means…” Gong Yoo’s throat move. “When will this happen?” 
Sally wiped her tears.
“I am afraid that is not something within my knowledge… but…” Sally looked at Yunho. “This child will see the four kings… he will teach them… he will help the four kings to rise.”
Gong Yoo looked at Yunho.
Yunho does not seem to understand anything.
“Then that means...” Said Gong Yoo. “First… Prince Hyun Bin’s mission is going to fail.”
Sally bit her lip as tears stream down her eyes.  
“Yes.” She said.
“Second, it means I am no longer around when the kings are taught… that means I have to teach everything I know… everything… Yunho must learn everything.” Said Gong Yoo.
Sally nodded.
“But that also means the heirs will be found.” Said Gong Yoo. “And that means everything we’re doing is not in vain. It may take a long time… it may pass our lifetime… but the Kings will rise again.” 

---------

Hyun Bin entered the wall. He just had to touch it and it immediately opened a size enough to make him enter. The wall of vines is thick. He had to walk several minutes of vines before he was finally inside the Southern Kingdom. And just as expected, there were warriors guarding the wall. Hyun Bin fought them and was able to escape them. But then that means Kong will be alerted that someone was able to enter the wall. 
Hyun Bin went to the forest as he remembered it. He went to a hidden dungeon where he last saw his father… his father bade him farewell there. But as he was reaching it he found some more warriors. He fought them until a woman stopped the warriors. 
“Stop! There has not been anyone who has found us all these years. We must know who he is and why he is here.” Said the woman.
Hyun Bin looked up to see a beautiful woman on top of a tree looking down on them. 
“Lady Jihyun.” Said Hyun Bin. “You are here?”
Jihyun immediately landed beside Hyun Bin and knelt in front of him.
“Your Highness… Prince Hyun Bin…” said Jihyun, her voice is trembling.
Hyun Bin helped Jihyun to stand up. And he saw the Lady’s tears.
“I thought you were somewhere outside the wall… you were the one who got the Eastern elders put the wall up, weren’t you?” asked Hyun Bin
“I did. But while they were putting the wall up… I went back inside the Southern Kingdom. I… can not leave the King alone.” Said Jihyun
Hyun Bin dropped his hands to his sides.
“My father…”
Jihyun shook her head. 
“He turned into dust…” whispered Jihyun.
Hyun Bin’s hand clenched into fists.
“It was devastating… We did not even get the chance to mourn for his death… when Ancient creatures die, we hold a farewell rite with his remains… but we could not do it for your father. He just… vanished… and then he was no more. It was… the hardest day to overcome.” Said Jihyun, her voice was full of agony.
Hyun Bin fought his own tears as anger and hate rose in his chest anew.
“I have saved as many of the King’s followers as I could.” Said Jihyun. “And we’re still trying to save more… as many as we can.”
“It is good that my Uncle has not found you until now.” Said Hyun Bin.
“We tried to hide as if we do not exist. We try to make him believe he had killed everyone of the king’s followers.” Said Jihyun.
“That is good.”
“But Your Highness what are you doing here? It is safer for you to be outside the wall.” Said Jihyun. “Your Uncle is still strong. He has made his army stronger too. They are just waiting for a chance… just a way to break the wall open.”
“We have been waiting for centuries, training and looking for the other heirs. But we do not know what is happening here inside. I have to get in here to know the situation… to know how ready we are to fight my uncle.” Said Hyun Bin.
“You will need a large army, Prince Hyun Bin… you will need the entire Vishox ready to battle this one enemy.” Said Jihyun. “If you have not united the armies of Vishox… then it is unlikely that you would win against your Uncle.”
“Then that means the three kings have to claim their thrones first.” Said Hyun Bin
Jihyun nodded.
“You have to find another place to hide, Lady Jihyun.” Said Hyun Bin. “The warriors guarding the wall will follow me. You must hide everyone to a safer place.” 
Jihyun nodded.
--------
Hyun Bin ran to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter