King of the South: Chapter 3

The Brotherhood of the Heirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

King of the South

Chapter 3

 

 

 

Taeyong watched the King sigh. This is not good. This is his third sigh in just a few minutes and it means something heavy is weighing on his mind.

 

Taeyong knows V very well. Even a slight move of the King’s brow is something Taeyong could easily read. Being V’s adviser for the past decades had made their bond stronger than it already was. They were already Brothers under the Demanix Order together with Sehun and Jinyoung. Their a bond is stronger than blood. But since he had been serving V for a while now, his relationship with V and the dragons had grown so much more.

 

Unlike Jinyoung, Sehun and V, Taeyong did not have a Kingdom to conquer yet. Whereas his three brothers had been already preparing and slowly conquering their kingdoms since they were boys, Taeyong could only learn from them, help them and watch. And since his supposed kingdom is currently still sealed, the Demanix Order decided to put him in V’s care.

 

Of course they did not put it that way. They said the Northern Kingdom is the largest in terms of geography and population. Because of that, The Dragon King would need the most help. But Taeyong knew the underlying reason. As long as he carries the Beast inside his body… he will always be a threat. And just in case Taeyong fails to keep the beast sealed, only V’s dragon will be able to stop the beast if only to buy the Order time.

 

At first he felt like a burden to V, he felt like a child that needs watching. But V did not make him feel that way. V never even once asked where he went or what he did. At first Taeyong felt like he’s obligated to tell him. V is of course the King he is serving. Besides… Taeyong did not want anyone to have any doubt about his promise… that he would never again turn his back on his vow of celibacy, to keep the beast inside him. But it seems like for V, he was already convinced from the start that Taeyong will keep his word. Taeyong did not need to prove it.

 

And then V sighed again.

 

“That’s the sixth sigh, My Lord. I am worried that your lungs may be suffering from too much deep breathing.” said Taeyong.

 

V rolled his eyes.

 

“We breathe much harder when we train, Taeyong. And not once did my lungs complain.” said V

 

Taeyong suppressed a laugh.

 

“My Lord, will you tell me what’s troubling you? Maybe I could be of help?” asked Taeyong.

 

V’s eyes narrowed as if he was contemplating if indeed Taeyong is able to help in his predicament.

 

“Is it about the threats to the palace now that it seems like some of the clans had discovered our whereabouts?” asked Taeyong.

 

V did not answer but kept looking like he’s thinking.

 

“We’ve already alerted the warriors to be ready for any attack.” said Taeyong. “We’ve also sent spies to find those clans so that we can either attack them first or learn when they will attack us. I will leave tonight to meet the spies. From what I can see, there is nothing to worry about.”

 

“That’s the first thing.” said V

 

“Oh… how many things are we talking about, My Lord?” asked Taeyong.

 

“Two things.” said V

 

“Oh.”

 

V sat on his chair across Taeyong.

 

“Do you remember the white snake clan?” asked V

 

Taeyong nodded.

 

“They agreed to form an alliance with us isn’t it, My Lord?” asked Taeyong.

 

“They did. And they promised that since their relationship with the other snake clans are strong, they will convince the other clans to join us.” said V.

 

“The White Snake clan is the strongest snake clan of all the North. Forming an alliance with them will be helpful.” said Taeyong. “Especially now when the other clans may make their move against us any time.”

 

“That is why I would want to secure that alliance. However… they have doubts about our sincerity.” said V.

 

“Doubts?” asked Taeyong.

 

V took a parchment from a pile of them. He gestured for Taeyong to read it. Taeyong took a while to read the letter. And then he read it again.

 

“This is… rather odd.” said Taeyong. “They would want you to personally visit their clan as a gesture of sincerity?”

 

“I actually understand their concern.” said V. “However… I don’t think it is wise to leave the palace at the moment. An attack can be done any time and I won’t leave my people should the attack happen while I was away.”

 

Taeyong nodded.

 

“They gave you this week to visit or else they will think your sincerity is vain.” said Taeyong. “This clan thinks you have to woo them. They feel the power over you since you are asking for their alliance.”

 

“That is why I do not think I would give in to them. But I can not just ignore them.” said V.

 

“And is that what makes you sigh so much, My Lord?” asked Taeyong.

 

“No… actually I already thought of a solution.” said V. “However… I think it’s a very terrible solution. And I am still convincing my self there is another way.”

 

“What were you thinking of doing, My Lord?” asked Taeyong.

 

“I am planning of sending Seulgi to the White Snake clan.” said V

 

Taeyong’s eyes widened. It took him a few seconds to respond.

 

V chuckled.

 

“See. I told you it was a terrible idea.” said V

 

Taeyong sighed.

 

“My Lord… Did you really say you are sending your sister to the white snake clan?” asked Taeyong.

 

V nodded.

 

“Your ears are not deceiving you.” said V

 

“My Lord… We are not certain what the white snake clan’s true intention is for asking you to go to their clan.” said Taeyong. “What if they are setting a trap instead of an alliance? What if they intend to harm you. That will mean the harm will befall on your sister.”

 

“I know.” said V. “That is why I am sending you with her.”

 

Taeyong felt relief wash over him.

 

V smiled.

 

“Do you really think I will send my sister there alone? Even if I send her there with hundreds of my men, I will not be at peace unless it is you who will protect her.” said V

 

“Because I am so strong and powerful.” said Taeyong.

 

V brushed the arrogance off.

 

“It’s because I know you will protect her with your life.” said V. “I know you will not let any harm come to her.”

 

Taeyong did not speak.

 

“When I say protect her… I mean not just her life… but also her virtue, Taeyong.” V said, his body slightly forward as if warning Taeyong.

 

“From me?” asked Taeyong, a chuckle escaped his lips. “That was funny, My Lord.”

 

“Not from you. I know you will not compromise her. But I can not just let the warriors guard her. I hate to admit it but my sister is…” V sighed longer.

 

“She’s very beautiful.” said Taeyong.

 

V’s eyes sharpened.

 

“I have eyes, My Lord. I can not pretend not to see.” said Taeyong, his hands went up in defense.

 

“She’s just twelve.” said V

 

“But she’s always been a pretty girl.” said Taeyong.

 

“Quit saying she’s beautiful or pretty… It makes me irritated.” said V

 

“It’s just the truth, My Lord.” said Taeyong.

 

“I hate it when it comes form a man’s mouth, any man whether celibate or not, Brother or not.” said V

 

Taeyong chuckled.

 

V shook his head.

 

“And she does not look her age. And that I think is one of the problem.” said V. “Most people think she’s older… they think she’s already a lady. She’s just a silly girl. But men… even the warriors of the palace ogles her like she’s some woman they could lust after. If I do not have a war to win, I would have killed each of those warriors!”

 

“My Lord that will decrease our chances of winning.” said Taeyong.

 

“Exactly my point.” said V

 

“So… am I to take her to the white snake clan alone?” asked Taeyong. “A very small delegation will insult the snakes.”

 

“Take a few warriors with you.” said V. “But I will not send a big delegation. We ahve people to protect here too.”

 

Taeyong nodded.

 

 

---------------

 

 

Seulgi tried to look calm. But inside… she is trembling. It is her first mission as a princess. And her brother did say this is a very important mission. The snakes has to become their allies. Seulgi took calming breaths as she sat inside the carriage.

 

V said the snakes may become hostile. They were expecting the King but it’s the princess who will come instead. She must be prepared mentally and emotionally.

 

Snakes are vicious creatures. They are strong and highly poisonous. But she’s a dragon. There is nothing to fear. She can always use her wings to escape when needed. And also… Taeyong is here. He will protect her

 

Taeyong is her brother’s closest friend. And he is a strong warrior. He is gentle and always has a kind word to everyone. She has admired Taeyong for a while now. A really intelligent man who is also a strong warrior… kind and calm.

 

Seulgi noticed the door of the carriage opening.

 

And then she saw Taeyong looking inside.

 

“We are approaching the forest near the snakes. From here on, we will need to walk, Princess.” said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

Seulgi alight the carriage. Taeyong held her hand to help her out. Seulgi felt its warmth seeping inside her own skin. It was odd. But not irritating unlike when some other men tried to touch her.

 

Taeyong immediately withdrew his hand.

 

“I will do most of the talking, but I am certain they will need to hear from you from time to time.” said Taeyong.

 

“Don’t worry. I have been preparing for these missions since I was small.” said Seulgi, smiling at Taeyong.

 

Taeyong smiled back.

 

“I like it that you are always confident, Princess.” said Taeyong. “But… just in case you feel danger, stay close to me, do you understand?”

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

They walked on and it took them half a day before they entered what looked like a village deep inside the forest. They were let in. And in just a matter of seconds, they were surrounded by so many warriors and townsmen. Taeyong held Seulgi’s arm and pulled her behind him.

 

The snakes made way and a tall old man who has long white hair approached them.

 

“I am the Snake King, Ram.” he said.

 

“We are sent by the Dragon King V.” said Taeyong. “I am Taeyong, the King’s adviser.”

 

“This is unacceptable. He sent his adviser instead of coming here himself?” asked Ram.

 

“Unfortunately, there were some threats made to the Palace. The King wanted to make sure he is present to protect his people. It is not I whom he sent…But he sent his sister on his behalf, Princess Seulgi.” said Taeyong.

 

“Princess?” asked Ram

 

Seulgi stepped forward.

 

“Good Day, Snake King Ram. I am Princess Seulgi of the Dragon Kingdom. Greetings to you and your people.” said Seulgi

 

A man behind Ram stepped forward. He is almost as tall as the snake King. But this man is younger. From what Seulgi could see, he’s probably the same age as the dragon warriors she’s brought with her. He is also a very good looking man. His body screams of muscles and his face could make females weep. Even Seulgi could not take her eyes off  him easily.

 

“I am Yoong.” said the man.  “I am the Snake King’s son.”

 

Oh but she must brush it off. The man may look good, but he is still a snake.

 

“Good to meet you, Prince Yoong.” said Seulgi

 

Yoong smiled at her and his face just turned twice more attractive.

 

Seulgi felt pain on her toes and saw Taeyong’s foot on hers. She turned to him, her eyes narrowing. But he just looked at her as if he did not just step on her.

 

“The Princess had walked a long way, is there any way to let her rest for a while?” asked Taeyong.

 

“Of course. Let me show Princess Seulgi our hospitality.” said Yoong. “Please follow me.”

 

Seulgi noticed men looking at her. It isn’t something new. Even in the dragon kingdom, men look at her all the time as if they do not see her often. She’s been told so many times that her face is the perfect beauty. Even women look at her with envy. She learned to not pay attention to them. But now that she is not in her territory, she does not know how to feel about the looks these snakes are giving her.

 

“Just don’t mind them.” said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi sighed as she looked up at Taeyong. Taeyong is also one handsome man. Next to her brother, Taeyong may just be the most handsome man in the dragon kingdom. He may also be used to being looked at. But unlike Seulgi who spent most of her life inside the palace, Taeyong is used to going out on missions. He may not feel uncomfortable with the attention anymore.

 

“It also makes me uncomfortable.” whispered Taeyong.

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened. Did he read her mind?

 

Taeyong smirked.

 

“But I learned to accept the admiration.” said Taeyong, and then he winked.

 

Seulgi felt her chest beating a little faster than usual. What was that about?

 

They entered a large stoned house and were led to what look like a dinning area.

 

“Food will be served in a while. But first please take a seat and rest.” said Yoong.

 

The chairs were large and soft. It was very comfortable. Seulgi stopped herself from sighing as she sat on it. But she caught Yoong looking at her. It seems like he was stopping himself form laughing at her as he saw how happy she was to sit on the soft chair.

 

Seulgi felt heat crawl up her cheeks as she looked away.

 

 

-------------

 

 

Taeyong saw Seulgi blushing. He also saw how Prince Yoong’s throat moved as he saw her blush. And that did not sit well with Taeyong. The man even his lip as Seulgi drank her tea. That is absolutely not good. Taeyong feels an irritating itch to punch the man’s face.

 

So is this what V told him? To protect Seulgi and her virtue? Hah!

 

Taeyong sighed. The prince may be the same age as Jinyoung or Sehun. And he may not know how young Princess Seulgi is. But by the way the man is looking at Seulgi, Taeyong knew her age won’t matter. When lust hits a man hard, he gets blinded by it. Taeyong knows that very well.

 

Does the girl know what is happening around her? Does she know there is danger on this table?

 

Taeyong turned to Seulgi and noticed the Princess getting uncomfortable. He knows Seulgi from when she was just a toddler running around. He knows her small nuances. And this Seulgi… the Seulgi who keeps breathing deep, who keeps fidgeting on her seat… this is the uncomfortable Seulgi.

 

“It is time for Princess Seulgi’s nap.” said Teayong.

 

“Nap?” asked Yoong.

 

Taeyong saw Seulgi looking at him, shocked.

 

“Yes. Dragons are fond of naps. But most especially for the Princess. She gets an extreme headache when she does not take her nap.” said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi’s brow started to raise, threatening for Taeyong to stop.

 

“Well… but the food has not been served yet.” said Yoong.

 

“She will prefer sleep than food. Is it not, Princess?” said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi took a deep breath.

 

“Yes…” she answered hesitantly. “I am shy to say this but… Like a child who still needs time to grow up…I do need a nap.” said Seulgi, giggling.

 

“Well then, I will lead you to the room prepared for you.” said Yoong.

 

“Actually I would prefer if you would just tell me where it is? Taeyong can take me there.”

 

“I see that you still do not trust me, Princess.” said Yoong

 

“Don’t take it to heart, Prince Yoong. You see Taeyong here had been serving in our kingdom for such a long time. He knows how to put me to sleep..” said Seulgi. “He sings me a lullaby.”

 

It was Taeyong’s turn to raise a brow. Even the other dragon warriors looked at each other trying not to laugh.

 

“I will take the Princess to her room.” said Taeyong,his smile was so thin Seulgi felt triumph!

 

-------------

 

Seulgi’s arms are folding on her chest.

 

“What’s with the nap?” asked Seulgi

 

“I felt your discomfort.” said Taeyong. “I wanted to give you an excuse to leave.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened.

 

“Umm… well…” she looked at Taeyong guiltily. “You’re right. I was extremely uncomfortable… so thank you… and I’m sorry about the lullaby.”

 

“Did he make you uncomfortable? Prince Yoong?” asked Taeyong.

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

“I am used to men looking at me. But Prince Yoong does not just look… he stares! And he stares hard. I just… felt suffocated.” said Seulgi.

 

“You have to learn to not get affected by men’s stare easily, Princess.” said Taeyong. “Learn how to intimidate them to stop.”

 

Seulgi sat on a chair.

 

“How ever is that done?” asked Seulgi. “How do you intimidate them to stop?”

 

“Stare back at them.” said Taeyong.

 

“Won’t that make them think I am interested?” asked Seulgi.

 

“Stare at them and give them that look you make when you see a plate full of vegetables.” said Taeyong

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened.

 

“You mean the… Yuck I hate this look?” asked Seulgi

 

“Yes. The Not this again look.” said Taeyong.

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

“I think I can do that.” said Seulgi

 

“Should we try?” asked Taeyong.

 

“Huh?”

 

Taeyong sat in front of Seulgi so that their eyes are on the same level. And then he looked Seulgi straight in the eye. Seulgi was taken aback. This is of course not the first time she’s looking at Taeyong but this is the first time they are looking at each other this close… and his eyes… this is the first time she’s seeing his eyes…really seeing them… he has such wonderful eyes. And he really is a handsome man. And then Seulgi noticed Taeyong’s brows closing in, his eyes looking at her with intensity. Seulgi gulped but she did not take her eyes away. Why is he looking at her like this? Seulgi felt heat starting to her skin. She hand started to reach up on its own. She watched as her hand touched Taeyong’s face. Taeyong’s eyes widened. And then she saw his throat move. Taeyong touched Seulgi’s hand on his face.

 

“This is not the way to intimidate men, Princess.” said Taeyong.

 

Taeyong lowered Seulgi’s hand back to her side.

 

“You should never ever look at a man like that… and you should never ever touch him the way you just touched me.” said Taeyong.

 

“Wh… why?” whispered Seulgi, her voice becoming too thin.

 

“Because if you keep this up… you may end up in his bed.” said Taeyong.

 

And then Taeyong immediately left the room.

 

Seulgi took a shaky breath.

 

What just happened….

 

Why… does she still feel her chest beating fast? Her skin still feels hot? She’s too young to start having dragon needing right? What is wrong with her?

 

------------

 

It was night and everyone had a fine dinner with the Snake King’s family. After that, the long awaited moment has come.

 

“The Dragon King would be happy to form an alliance with you.” said Taeyong.

 

“I too would like a strong clan to be by my side however…. our alliance does not come without a price.” said Ram, the Snake King.

 

Just as expected.

 

“What price are you asking?” asked Taeyong.

 

“At first I thought that once the King comes here I can give him one of my daughters to form a union with him.” said the Snake King

 

“A union?” asked Seulgi

 

“Snakes form unio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter