[ ♡ ] Chapter XVI.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of carriage wobbled against the pavement, the horse’s shoe tapping against it as Junmyeon and Baekhyun sat within the carriage. The cold air from outside colliding with the warm heat within. The Lord and King sat across from one another as silence overtook the pair. But Junmyeon could tell that Baekhyun couldn’t just sit still with his leg bouncing up every five minutes.

 

“Will you relax?”

 

Junmyeon’s voice echoed through one ear and out the other as Baekhyun sat nervously in his seat, eyes watching as the carriage carried them through Astelin and Miralin. Junmyeon had received a letter from Irene that said she and the residents – Nami, Chanyeol and Hoseok – would be visiting Dongmin in Veralida for the holiday. Which really meant no need to stop by the Kang Castle. It was quite the relief that they only had to make one stop.  Not that Junmyeon would’ve really minded visiting the castle. He bet it was beautiful and under the perfect authority of a well-loved Queen. Junmyeon’s eyes settled on the fidgeting King as they rode past Miralin. Baekhyun was many things as a person, but nervous? Never. The Lord has never seen his friend nervous. The Byun Baekhyun, King of Korea, did everything with confidence – his head held high and his demeanor almost intimidating if no one knew him up close and personal.

 

“Why are you so fidgety?”

 

Junmyeon questioned while eyeing his friend. Baekhyun looked up to the Lord. Who would fidget with such nervousness? He was facing his reality – his wife. Sure, it took him months to man up and do what he has to do to bring her home. It came to time that he accepted his faults and apologize because he was wrong. His former lover was wrong. Who was right? His friends. His mother. Even his own wife. Could he even still call her his wife? There was a feeling in him that screamed that she hated him. Or should would hate him – that he’d ruin everything just by being in front of her. He’d watch her mood turn sour and a cold shoulder given to him – hypothetically speaking. There was so much thought that ran through his brain – wrecked the poor organ – that he didn’t know if he was capable of functioning normally enough to apologize for his stupidity. He should have never mentioned anything of his lover – or even had a lover to begin with.

 

Perhaps Baekhyun has matured a bit more since he’s met everyone’s beloved Jewel Queen. Perhaps she did do him better – her authority and stance oozed confidence all while being kindhearted with elegancy that contradicted his single-minded, strict iron-fist ruling, authority. Given the chance now, he was grateful that he’s traveling to redeem himself.

 

“Baekhyun,” Junmyeon called out once more after not hearing a response from the King. He did figure that the reason that he was so fidgety. Junmyeon figured that the King feared what would happen when he finally stood in front of his significant other, the Queen of three countries. “Don’t fret,” the Lord mentioned with a soft sigh. “Just breathe. There’s no need to be so fidgety- she’s not going to bite you, you know?” Baekhyun quietly blew a raspberry, leaning back against his seat as he looked to his friend for the nth time. “You don’t know that, Junmyeon. She might actually hate me and bite off my head.” Baekhyun finally replied. The Lord let out a laugh, shaking his head as he turned to look out the window – the Christmas lights glistened throughout with Christmas decorations decorating the streets.

 

They had passed a bright Christmas tree lighting the center of the city, and that only confirmed that they’ve entered Veralida – home of Dongmin’s, which is just as beautiful as Irene and Nami had described it to be. He remembered Irene telling him that Dongmin was responsible for helping the people of the country get the decorations up – that he coordinated it with Chanyeol this year. There was silence for a brief moment when Junmyeon finally sighed, looking to his friend with a reassuring look: “Perhaps with how much time she’s spent away from Korea and from you, she’s willing to hear an explanation from you now. Perhaps not. Mina really did a number on her and she’s not used to having such hatred and animosity directed towards her.” He said, inhaling deeply. Baekhyun looked down to his hands – the nerves pounding against his hands, giving him a tingling feeling that he absolutely hated.

 

“I may not know Adelaine as long as Irene has, but I’ve spent enough time to know that she will listen.” Junmyeon added. Though, since this was Baekhyun’s case – Junmyeon didn’t really know if his friend and Queen would stop and listen. Or if she really wanted to mend her relationship with Baekhyun. He knew that she wanted so much more in life, and some of it was stripped away the moment she married Baekhyun. Junmyeon had listened to her complaints, listened to her admiring children, listened to her cry whenever he was around Irene. If anything, he saw her like the sister he never had – and he knew that Nami saw him as the brother she never had. Irene had been her best friend and sister since their childhood, bounded together for as long as they’ve known. Junmyeon saw and understood their connection – understood their emotions. So, in truth, he really did spend enough time to know many things about the Queen of three countries.

 

“I guess we’ll really see when we arrive, don’t you think?” Junmyeon asked while Baekhyun let out a sigh, nodding his head to the Lord. But it was too soon as the carriage came to a halting stop – meaning that they’ve arrived at their destination. Baekhyun seemed panicked when Junmyeon moved in his spot, reaching over to place a hand on the King’s shoulder. “Face up to it and you’ll be fine.” The Lord uttered as he reached over the door open where he exited the carriage first. His head lifted up as his eyes took in the sight of their destination – Dongmin’s comfortable home. Well, at once glance, it was a beautiful castle that stood tall and suitable much to the Prince himself. “Junmyeon,” a voice called out as the figure inched closer. The Lord stepped aside as Baekhyun exited the carriage behind him. A smile plastered the Lord’s lips as he reached forward to shake hands with the Jewel Prince that stood before him. “Welcome to Veralida,” the Prince greeted with a smile decorating his lips. “Thank you,” Junmyeon replied, looking to the castle once more, “it really is as beautiful as it’s described.”

 

Dongmin smiled, taking a look at his own home much suited as the cousin of the Queen. “Yes, well, I suppose I have Nana’s parents to thank for this.” He said with a chuckle when he turned his head, eyes taking notice of the King of Korea standing before him.

 

“Baekhyun,” Dongmin called out in a rather surprised manner. The King gave his cousin-in-law a thin smile, nodding his head towards the Prince. “Joo didn’t tell me you were coming along,” he added and Baekhyun nodded his head. He didn’t really know how to explain himself, but he had the right intentions to come forward and apologize to everyone – specifically Nami – for the way things happened in the Byun castle. Ever since the departure of Nami, her cousin, her lady-in-waiting and his best friend, the castle had been quieter, less lively than it was before. His staff seemed to avoid him more than when Nami was around. She brought joy wherever she went. A smile on their faces almost every day – they defended her when they needed to, and they were glad that she married into the Byun family. Married to the Byun child they thought would rule with an iron fist to the point that they would’ve hate to serve him. “I, um,” Baekhyun uttered with a small stammer, a mere smile on his lips, “I thought I’d come and make amends with everyone. With you, Irene, and,” Dongmin glanced to the King, seeing the sincerity in the King’s eyes as he has never seen before. It made him want to laugh because this man – the King – has put his cousin through so much from the day that he told her that he had a lover. Whatever Nami felt, Dongmin felt too. They were connected since birth, spent so much time together as (almost) siblings.  

 

“I do come with good intentions, Dongmin, and I apologize sincerely for everything that has happened to Nami – I know that if she’s upset, you and Irene hold a grudge for her. I know that it’s my fault, and I really want to fix that fault, truly.” Baekhyun said, his voice softer than usual – Dongmin noticed. “I really am and truly sorry for everything. I know that I can’t turn back time and fix it, but I do want to make up for it.”

 

If anything, one of the many abilities that Dongmin held is being able to read people. The Jewel Prince seemed to notice the posture of the King, the sadness in his eyes. He knew that he spoke the truth, but he doesn’t know how his cousin would react to knowing that Baekhyun was here – in front of him now. Dongmin then turned his head to Junmyeon – who nodded, testifying and supporting the King through just a nod. And all Dongmin did was look back at Baekhyun and inhaled, exhaled softly that allowed the cold air to let his breath be known in the air. “I believe you,” the Prince said, giving Baekhyun some kind of hope, “and I forgive you, truly.” Dongmin held with a smile on his lips. If there was any way to bring back a part of her back, Dongmin would support it: “She spent weeks – months – recovering. It took her so long to finally find her peace and go about her days with a smile on her lips. Before, you could tell that she lost a piece of her. And now, she’s back in her the comforts of her countries, her people and her parents. All she needed was time away from all the negativity, from your castle, from you. I think all she needed was her mother, someone she can confide in and understand her. So, if there is a small piece of advice that I can give you – ease in on her softly. Find the right time to isolate her and apologize.” Baekhyun knew most of the things that had gone o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter